Esmeralda Morales and Hannah Robbins commit - added Robbins since comments are already posted here.

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: Esmeralda Morales and Hannah Robbins commit - added Robbins since comments are already posted here.

Post by AFCAT » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:18 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:14 pm
aucat wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:07 pm
Was Brook Berry highly recruited coming out of high school? Did they play together at New Mexico? Any comparisons?
Yes, Brooke had multiple D-1 options. Brooke and Hannah would have entered New Mexico’s program the same year.
They were roommates.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Esmeralda Morales and Hannah Robbins commit - added Robbins since comments are already posted here.

Post by lutecat » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:20 pm

JimboCat wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:44 am
Another possible explanation is a foreign player who decided to play back home next year. I would think if that happened, they wouldn't enter the transfer portal (not playing in the US next year).
Hopefully it's not a blond Canadian that's a blast to watch play kn the court.

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:10 am

lutecat wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:20 pm
JimboCat wrote:
Another possible explanation is a foreign player who decided to play back home next year. I would think if that happened, they wouldn't enter the transfer portal (not playing in the US next year).
Agreed. I thought Miss Picton had a fantastic year as a frosh PG. Despite the transfers I think she should get solid minutes in 24-25.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:55 am

84CatGrad wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:10 am
lutecat wrote:
JimboCat wrote:
Agreed. I thought Miss Picton had a fantastic year as a frosh PG. Despite the transfers I think she should get solid minutes in 24-25.
Marah Dykstra also fits the description, but I feel like if she or Picton were leaving they'd be in the portal and looking to continue their careers elsewhere. Not many opportunities to play college basketball at a high level in Canada.

CatRowdy
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by CatRowdy » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:06 am

MSU01 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:55 am
84CatGrad wrote:
lutecat wrote:
JimboCat wrote:
Marah Dykstra also fits the description, but I feel like if she or Picton were leaving they'd be in the portal and looking to continue their careers elsewhere. Not many opportunities to play college basketball at a high level in Cang
So for international players that would be Marah, Natalie, Lea, and Issy. All or some of them could be terribly homesick. We forget it's not just distance for these ladies it's also cultural differences. I'd hate to see any of them leave but I won't be surprised if one or two go and hence some scholarships are opened up.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:12 am

The international students have made huge commitments to be Bobcats, and they have a lot at risk. I think it’s unlikely they would just leave. The question is, who is going to get squeezed out of all of their playing time? This time may be being used by the coaching staff to re-home a couple of players. I also fear there may be some injuries that are still issues — life after basketball must be considered. But 17 > 15. Do walk-ons count against that limit? I believe the women’s rules are slightly different than the men’s roster size rules. I can guess at a couple of players who may have to step down, but there’s no way I will write down my speculations. This is a difficult time for players and coaches. It’s bad enough just being a fan, but Coach Binford knows she has a young core of tremendous talent with super-senior (covid) leadership that she’ll never have again — it’s go time! This year!

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:18 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:12 am
The international students have made huge commitments to be Bobcats, and they have a lot at risk. I think it’s unlikely they would just leave. The question is, who is going to get squeezed out of all of their playing time? This time may be being used by the coaching staff to re-home a couple of players. I also fear there may be some injuries that are still issues — life after basketball must be considered. But 17 > 15. Do walk-ons count against that limit? I believe the women’s rules are slightly different than the men’s roster size rules. I can guess at a couple of players who may have to step down, but there’s no way I will write down my speculations. This is a difficult time for players and coaches. It’s bad enough just being a fan, but Coach Binford knows she has a young core of tremendous talent with super-senior (covid) leadership that she’ll never have again — it’s go time! This year!
I will speculate on who gets “squeezed out” and it will come out of the 4-B’s & an H. Berry, Boulanger, Brumfield, Bunyan & Hein would appear to be on the bubble for different reasons. The first two where at the bottom of the depth chart for this past season’s small active roster, Brumfield is rarely discussed in any manner by anyone, Bunyan fits the up-thread speculation of an international player potentially going back home, and Hein’s ongoing injuries may finally end her tenure. By no means is this a wish list, just trying to be objective.

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:00 am

MSU01 wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:
lutecat wrote:
JimboCat wrote:
Marah Dykstra also fits the description, but I feel like if she or Picton were leaving they'd be in the portal and looking to continue their careers elsewhere. Not many opportunities to play college basketball at a high level in Canada.
Marah, at this point, is our most important import. I would be crushed if she left.

4Mare
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 4Mare » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:13 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:00 am
MSU01 wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:
lutecat wrote:
JimboCat wrote:
Marah, at this point, is our most important import. I would be crushed if she left.
Utah Tech announced today they signed Mattie Olson.

Marah Dykstra was a great import and has continued to get better and exceed roles & expectations for the Bobcats.

4Mare
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 4Mare » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:24 am

Lea Boulanger is going back to Quebec, Canada.
Bishop University WBB announced she signed today.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:15 pm

4Mare wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:24 am
Not surprised but sorry to see. A redshirt year would have been good for her. She definitely knew how to play the game. Good luck, Lea. Beautiful country you have there, but a lot of things are spelled strangely.

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:18 pm

4Mare wrote:
That was confusing. I saw the Instagram post with her in a Bobcat uniform.

I also see they are getting a girl from Dawson College. The one in Montana?

4Mare
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 4Mare » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:08 pm

lutecat wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:18 pm
4Mare wrote:
That was confusing. I saw the Instagram post with her in a Bobcat uniform.

I also see they are getting a girl from Dawson College. The one in Montana?
I also had to do a double take for the post b/c she was in her MSU uniform. Also, no, the other recruit for Bishop is from Dawson College Blues in Quebec, Canada. Not a lot of Americans go up North for ball but everybody wants to play NCAA.