The Huse Era

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

John K
Golden Bobcat

Re: The Huse Era

Post by John K » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:28 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
DicTater wrote:Besides the inevitable slides, I think a lot of the attendance problems stem from the fact that Huse demands a boring style of basketball. He recruits a bunch of guys that can really get out in the open court and make things happen and he slows them down. He just LOVES calling plays. He starts 4 guys that are 6'5" or smaller, but doesn't press and doesn't push the tempo. How are you going to score then? You can't score inside because you don't have a big guy who can get his own shot. So, inevitably, it breaks down to throwing the ball around the perimeter and hoisting a 3. That is not a recipe for success. I remember Bobby Howard trying to post 2 Griz 7 footers and Huse yelling at the guards to get it into Bobby. He was good, but he had no chance. And Huse stuck with that plan the entire game.

How can Shaka Smart win at VCU with a bunch of guys that are undersized that no one else wanted to recruit? He doesn't play the the way the bigger, more talented teams want to play it. He understands that if his team walks the ball up the floor and allows the D to get set, he's not going to score. And if he just drops back and lets the bigger, stronger team run it's O, he isn't going to stop them. But one thing we know about Brad, he is conventional. Of course, that's why he lost by 29 to EWU at home.
Since Roy Williams made the extended fast break en vogue, almost every college and high school team in America runs some form of it. Not MSU. The extended fast break is a way to get points in transition without being on an actually fast break with numbers. It leads to quick buckets off opponents' misses if you have a team that can push the temp. Montana State has a team that can push the tempo but never does. Egwuonwu is one of the fastest, most athletic big men in the league. I can't remember a transition bucket he's scored all season. Shoot, I haven't even seen a dunk in a live game at the Brick this winter. Not one. This is Division I basketball!

If you're going to play three true guards — Marcus Colbert, Antonio Biglow, Michael Dison (he broke his shooting thumb and is done) — who are quick and can push the pace, why not push the pace? When you have guys like Biglow and Dison who can be complete nuisances defensively, why not press?

Until last night, the last three games I'd seen the Cats, they played completely uninspired man defense. When they switch to a zone, like they did against Montana and North Dakota, they look borderline dominant. Why waste the first 25 minutes of the game seeing if your guys are going to play inspired defense? Why not run a zone press all game??

In terms of Montana State's offense, I'm not sure what it is. I never have been able to tell. They run more set plays than NBA teams. The problem is isolating Flavien Davis is a little bit different than isolating Carmelo Anthony ](*,)
The dunk thing always gets me. I cannot figure out how a DI team just doesn't press and dunk rather than going for a contested layup or a mid range shot. It's like they're scared to. I don't know if they just aren't strong enough under the basket to force the issue or what but it's ridiculous. Ever since the years with Carlos Taylor, Adrian Zamora, Branden Johnson, Danny Piepoli, etc... I never see dunks and "fun" basketball anymore. Christ, even shooting threes is a distant memory.
I don't know if shooting threes is a distant memory, but making them is a very distant memory. MSU used to be known for having great shooters, even if we were lacking in other areas...Tom Domako, Shann Ferch, Tony Hampton, Ray Willis, Danny Sprinkle, Scott Hatler, Pete Conway, Danny Sullivan, Craig Finberg (imagine how many points he would have scored if they'd had the three point line in his era). Lately it seems like we've recruited a bunch of players who were great shooters in high school or JC, but for some reason when they get to Bozeman they can't throw it in the ocean.

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:05 pm

John K wrote: Lately it seems like we've recruited a bunch of players who were great shooters in high school or JC, but for some reason when they get to Bozeman they can't throw it in the ocean.
Which is funny, because every team that comes into Bozeman seems to have record shooting nights against us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GO CATS GO!!!

grizatwork
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by grizatwork » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:37 pm

Got to tell you as a kid, I was a huge cat fan. I used to put bobcat stickers on my pinewood derby car in elementary school. In high school, I chose Missoula because of my major and fell in love. There is something about the place that you "really" grew up that is special to you. That being said, Tinkle was playing when I went to Missoula and it was great from there on except for the remodeling years. There were great times in Bozeman there too. I really don't know what happened in Bozeman. Just for reference, the griz fired Holtz after he won the tournament and took the team to the dance. They knew it was bad. Even Kennedy got pushed out. He took a job elsewhere, but he saw the handwriting on the wall. You KNOW that Huse would have been gone 4 or 5 years ago in Missoula. I was one who thought the cats got the better deal with Huse, but wow. But just for reference, University of Montana, "PUT THE STUDENTS BACK IN THE ZOO." You are a bad year or two away from being where you don't want to be. Pay attention to the the ACC. Pay attention to big time basketball and football. Where would the cat and griz football teams be if they put the students in the upper section.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:50 pm

good discussion guys but some of you are putting WAY to much thought in all this. the solution is winning. nothing more...nothing less. just like was the case with football 10+ years ago. stands were empty. people weren't going to games. the team started winning and everything else follows. we could have the best marketing in the world. we could live in a town without any tvs or technology to the outside world. cat basketball could be the only thing to do in town. and if the team continues to suck people won't go. simple as that.

once the team starts winning...sure reconfigure the seats. boost the marketing. pull out all the stops to male it a unique experience. but doing any of those things before the team stops sucking is pointless.

we are in an even tougher position because even if the team starts next season on fire, no one will buy in until we keep that level of play throughout February and march. this is as bad as bobcat basketball has ever been. and that's not changing until huse is gone and the culture begins to change.

truthfully, one could make a case that it should be easier to get fans in the stands in Bozeman once the team starts winning. it's not like there is THAT much to do in Bozeman winter nights. this team starts performing and winning games and bringing in top competition and getting butts in seats will take care of itself. but nothing until this team wins. it's a joke frankly.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:20 pm

ilovethecats wrote:truthfully, one could make a case that it should be easier to get fans in the stands in Bozeman once the team starts winning. it's not like there is THAT much to do in Bozeman winter nights. this team starts performing and winning games and bringing in top competition and getting butts in seats will take care of itself. but nothing until this team wins. it's a joke frankly.
Going to Bobcat basketball games was one of my favorite things to do on these cold winter nights. I miss the excitement and anticipation of basketball game nights. I guess that's why I keep going back-or at least tuning in-even when I know the outcome is totally not in doubt and I will be disappointed. Maybe I'll have to go to more high school games or something because I absolutely CAN"T STAND watching Huse's teams play anymore.

desmond1957
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by desmond1957 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:41 am

Frankly Bozeman only supports a winning team in any sport at high school or the college level. As previously mentioned it wasn't that long ago that football attendance was in the toilet (Solomonson, Lubick,Hysell) years when the sun went behind a cloud and temps hit in the 30's the place was deserted. In winter the average Cat fan will come out IF YOU HAVE A WINNING TEAM AND YOU PLAY UPTEMPO BB, neither of which we have now!! Watching the Cats is about as much fun as a coleostomy, last nite they played the most uninspired boring stand- around game I've ever seen. We had no defense, no inside game, no fast breaks and no outside shooters and no fans. It was the first game I ever walked out on in 50+ plus years and I may s#--can the rest of my season tickets. I frankly don't give a rats butt about watching other college teams, anyone recommend any good movies? By the way, whats Binford's record in comparison to Huse's?????

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:03 pm

desmond1957 wrote:Frankly Bozeman only supports a winning team in any sport at high school or the college level. As previously mentioned it wasn't that long ago that football attendance was in the toilet (Solomonson, Lubick,Hysell) years when the sun went behind a cloud and temps hit in the 30's the place was deserted. In winter the average Cat fan will come out IF YOU HAVE A WINNING TEAM AND YOU PLAY UPTEMPO BB, neither of which we have now!! Watching the Cats is about as much fun as a coleostomy, last nite they played the most uninspired boring stand- around game I've ever seen. We had no defense, no inside game, no fast breaks and no outside shooters and no fans. It was the first game I ever walked out on in 50+ plus years and I may s#--can the rest of my season tickets. I frankly don't give a rats butt about watching other college teams, anyone recommend any good movies? By the way, whats Binford's record in comparison to Huse's?????
I agree with your post. but this isn't unique to Bozeman. this is the case with every team, college or pro, in the country. if the product on the court/field sucks...people will stop going.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:55 pm

desmond1957 wrote:Frankly Bozeman only supports a winning team in any sport at high school or the college level. As previously mentioned it wasn't that long ago that football attendance was in the toilet (Solomonson, Lubick,Hysell) years when the sun went behind a cloud and temps hit in the 30's the place was deserted. In winter the average Cat fan will come out IF YOU HAVE A WINNING TEAM AND YOU PLAY UPTEMPO BB, neither of which we have now!! Watching the Cats is about as much fun as a coleostomy, last nite they played the most uninspired boring stand- around game I've ever seen. We had no defense, no inside game, no fast breaks and no outside shooters and no fans. It was the first game I ever walked out on in 50+ plus years and I may s#--can the rest of my season tickets. I frankly don't give a rats butt about watching other college teams, anyone recommend any good movies? By the way, whats Binford's record in comparison to Huse's?????
Binford is 131-128 in her 9th season. Binford took over a team that went 9-18 the previous season, including 7-7 in league. That year, MSU averaged 1,732 fans at home. Binford's first season the team went 3-23. Since, Binford has won 55 percent of her games. This season, MSU is 7-2 at home and averaged 1,233 fans.

Huse is 103-129 in his 8th season. He took over a team that went 16-15 in their last year under Mick Durham, 7-7 in the Big Sky, 13-4 at home and averaged 3,596 fans per game. The Cats are 6-4 at home and average 2,275 fans per game.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:33 pm

wow. we're averaging 1300 fewer fans right now than when mick was at the helm. #-o

RMD
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by RMD » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:06 pm

MSU should just drop basketball all tegether. no point even putting a team on the court.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:38 pm

truthfully, getting rid of huse would be a huge boost for the program. and I'm not saying that to be a jerk. but it's clear that this community and at times even his team has lost faith in him. he could start next season 10-0 and he'd get next to zero credit because we all know what would happen next. he's proven for 8+ seasons now that he's unable to give this program a boost.

I'm a gophers fan and just got done watching their game against Indiana. our head coach is rick pitino's son Richard and he's in his first year. anyone that knows anything about college basketball knows what a mind this guy has for the game. he's going to be a star coach and Minnesota's most difficult task will be keeping him there in a couple years when teams start calling. anyway, the barn was rocking tonight. the place was packed and crazy. two unranked teams battling in the middle of the pack of the big10 and the place was in a frenzy. in the end the gophers puled it out moving us "up" to 5-6 in the big10. we have a losing conference record but we compete in every single game, play an up-tempo style, and every person in the building is confident in our head coach. that is the difference.

just like we all gave huse a pass his first few years after durham, a new hire would get a pass too. in fact, he'd get more of a pass because the program is in FAR worse shape than we were in when we pushed mick out. we need a high-energy guy that both his players as well as the boosters and community have faith in. only then will we start seeing this program where we want it to be.

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:50 pm

I could never pull for the Cats to lose just to hurry up a change in the program, so I'm glad
MSU beat PSU last night. That said, did any of you watch Ted Dawson of KBZK in Bozeman
(I think it was the 6:00 p.m. broadcast on Friday) that absolutely humiliated the team and its
coach? Ted is the sports director and all he did was showcase about 8 plays that displayed
a complete lack of fundamentals, effort and hustle. Then he quoted Huse after the game
stating, "I need to coach them better." Dawson followed that quote with, "YOU THINK??"

Anyway, I have found it rather amazing that the Bozeman Chronicle rarely offers any
critique of the team's performance. Therefore, I really appreciated some real sports
journalism by Ted Dawson. I'm a big Cat fan but I don't appreciate homers in the media
who go around pumping sunshine when there just isn't any to pump.

The fact that the Cats apparently made a big improvement from the EWU game to the PSU
game (frankly, I did not bother to go even though I had a ticket) only accentuates
the coaching problem that we have here. If the Cats played with effort, hustle and
fundamentals on Sat. against PSU, then why the @#$% didn't they do that on Thursday
against EWU?? By the way, did you note that EWU beat us at our gym by 29 then two days
later were handed a double digit loss by the Griz? And this is a weak, rebuilding team for UM?

The women are also in a funk, just as they were last year at this time. Amazing stats on how far
attendance has fallen for both teams. No reason why both teams should not have winning programs.

MSUcantouchus
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSUcantouchus » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:28 pm

Reply to MSU's tweets about anything bobcat basketball with what you think of the program. A few hundred tweets back at them should get someones attention.

I hate dark pink

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:03 am

aucat wrote:I could never pull for the Cats to lose just to hurry up a change in the program, so I'm glad
MSU beat PSU last night. That said, did any of you watch Ted Dawson of KBZK in Bozeman
(I think it was the 6:00 p.m. broadcast on Friday) that absolutely humiliated the team and its
coach? Ted is the sports director and all he did was showcase about 8 plays that displayed
a complete lack of fundamentals, effort and hustle. Then he quoted Huse after the game
stating, "I need to coach them better." Dawson followed that quote with, "YOU THINK??"
Here is a link to the above mentioned broadcast:
http://www.kbzk.com/videos/kbzk-evening ... -2-7-2014/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Bleedinbluengold
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bleedinbluengold » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:35 pm

Rich K wrote:
aucat wrote:I could never pull for the Cats to lose just to hurry up a change in the program, so I'm glad
http://www.kbzk.com/videos/kbzk-evening ... -2-7-2014/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm not sure whether to laugh, or cry...men's and women's coaches have their work cut out for them. There won't be any fan support until they start winning, and until the teams have a desire to win (not just lip service) and heart, they will continue their tailspin.

Just absolutely sad.

Montana State IS what "they" think Montana is.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:30 pm

Rich K wrote:
Wow...that was pretty harsh. It's not often that you see any of the local media in Montana be that brutally honest. It's hard to argue with his assessment though. Honestly, I'm almost more disappointed in Binford and the WBB program, than I am with Huse and the men's team. This is two years in a row now when they've just completely imploded, and four years in a row that they've done worse in the 2nd half of the BSC schedule, than the 1st half. The last two seasons their collapses have been even more dramatic and sudden, than the men's. They've only won one tourney game since making it to the title game in 2010. The only way her record looks good, is when you compare it to Huse's.

Do you think either team will even make the tourney this year? I wonder how long it's been since both the men and women have missed the tourney in the same season?

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:38 pm

John K wrote:The only way her record looks good, is when you compare it to Huse's.
man...this had me laughing out loud as it's so sad and true. :(

desmond1957
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by desmond1957 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:43 pm

Got to say the Sat. nite game was nite and day different from Thurs. disaster!!! Paul actually showed some hustle and Huse finally gave Stephan Holmes some playing time!!! The result; 15 points (including 2 clutch free throws) and 8 rebounds. The kid was all over the floor, if Bigelow would pass him the ball when he's wide open he'd probably score more. One area that is a HUGE improvement is the Band. They really have a lot of members out , are really into it and add a lot to the atmosphere!!! As always the cheerleaders and drill team gave their all and I was amazed at the number of fans,especially after the Thurs. disaster. All in all,a great nite of basketball! Hope springs eternal ( Either that or I'm just too old to learn from experience). GO CATS!!!