"Brawl of the Wild" Competition--a dismal "contest"

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

"Brawl of the Wild" Competition--a dismal "contest"

Post by aucat » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:51 am

This competition against the Griz is really a great idea. Thanks Town Pump (Is the CEO a UM grad??).
The suspense going forward is going to be intense.

In another thread, I love the idea of computing just how much each win over the Griz costs
in terms of the coach's salary. Someone computed $214,000 per win in men's hoops. Wow,
pretty darn expensive. If we were to compute how much we pay in coach's salaries for a HOME WIN
against the Griz in ANY sport, dang, I think it must be close to $ one million!

All I know is, during the last eight years I have attended about 32 home athletic events
between MSU and the Griz in football, men's hoops, women's hoops and volleyball. Out of these
32 home games I witnessed a Bobcat victory TWO (2) times. That is a winning percentage at
home of an astounding SIX (6)%!!!!!!!!!!!!

Granted, our Cats have won on the road over in Missoula--more in football than hoops,
but all of this sits in Peter Fields' lap. I think our football program is in good shape. The
recruiting this year looks great, so I think the day is coming when I may actually witness a Bobcat
victory over the Griz at home. However, we appear to be LIGHT YEARS away from competing with
the Griz in hoops. The men's program is gone; it is lost; it is hopeless. A change MUST be made. Yes,
I am sure that Brad Huse and his family are wonderful folks. I truly wish he had been successful. But
as someone else posted, the man has pocketed north of $800k while at MSU. That's the business he is
in.

I THOUGHT Trish Binford was going to right the ship, but I think she is way, way over-rated. Our athletic
program other than football is frankly an embarrassment. I am not a MSU grad but frankly I don't
understand why the alumni tolerate it. I am not even going to use the term "mediocrity," because
frankly MSU is not even close to being mediocre! MSU: DO SOMETHING!
Last edited by aucat on Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: "Brawl of the Wild" Competition--a dismal "contest"

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:18 am

It's too easy to bash(deservedly) the B-ball programs, so I'll let you guys handle that.

The Brawl of the Wild standings are currently 7-4 griz with 16 more points up for grabs. Looks like it will be up to the "other" sports to get this trophy.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:19 pm

Montana State will always beat Montana in indoor track simply because Montana doesn't have an indoor track so they have to come to Bozeman or the site of the championships to compete.

Cross country and outdoor track should go to the Bobcats as well. Montana State actually has a strong track and XC program not just within the conference, but on the regional level. Track is one of my favorites to cover — I'd rather cover a track meet then that horrendous excuse for a basketball game I watched last night — but when I covered track all the time last year, barely 50 people ever read my stories. Since basketball interest seems to be all but gone, maybe I'll go back to covering track more again. You guys have to make it worth my time and read my stuff though!

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:22 pm

You are correct about the Basketball teams, but let's be honest, how many schools are really good at more than one "Major sport"....Not many. The Duke and North Carolina, and Arizona basketball programs are what those colleges are known for, not football. The FSU, Alabama, and LSU Football programs are what those schools are known for, not basketball. Sure they have a good year every once and a while, and sure there are also examples of schools that are powers at both, but normally you pick your horse and ride it. When the Cats were really fun to watch (late 80's early 90's) is when the Cats football team was struggling every year. Football was just a way to get through the fall until basketball started. Now Basketball is just a way to get through the winter until spring football starts. Are there things that need to be done? Sure, but maybe (and this is coming from someone who grew up in the Brick watching B-ball) that is just the way sports is now days.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:25 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:Montana State will always beat Montana in indoor track simply because Montana doesn't have an indoor track so they have to come to Bozeman or the site of the championships to compete.

Cross country and outdoor track should go to the Bobcats as well. Montana State actually has a strong track and XC program not just within the conference, but on the regional level. Track is one of my favorites to cover — I'd rather cover a track meet then that horrendous excuse for a basketball game I watched last night — but when I covered track all the time last year, barely 50 people ever read my stories. Since basketball interest seems to be all but gone, maybe I'll go back to covering track more again. You guys have to make it worth my time and read my stuff though!
Could you find out if Matt Tokarz is red shirting ?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:57 pm

SACCAT wrote:You are correct about the Basketball teams, but let's be honest, how many schools are really good at more than one "Major sport"....Not many. The Duke and North Carolina, and Arizona basketball programs are what those colleges are known for, not football. The FSU, Alabama, and LSU Football programs are what those schools are known for, not basketball. Sure they have a good year every once and a while, and sure there are also examples of schools that are powers at both, but normally you pick your horse and ride it. When the Cats were really fun to watch (late 80's early 90's) is when the Cats football team was struggling every year. Football was just a way to get through the fall until basketball started. Now Basketball is just a way to get through the winter until spring football starts. Are there things that need to be done? Sure, but maybe (and this is coming from someone who grew up in the Brick watching B-ball) that is just the way sports is now days.
Umm...actually, all you have to do is look towards our "friends" to the west. There have been several years when they've won the BSC title in all three of the major sports during the same school year. While they were going to the playoffs for 17 straight years in football, they were also winning the BSC title in WBB almost every season, and accumulated several conference titles in MBB during those years as well. Ohio State, Florida, Michigan State, Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisville, just to name a few, have all consistently had top 25 programs in both FB and MBB over the last decade or so.