Big Sky Players in the 2024 Draft

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MinnesotaBobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Big Sky Players in the 2024 Draft

Post by MinnesotaBobcat » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:30 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:59 pm
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:24 am
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:31 am
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:07 am
I’m surprised Gubner hasn’t gotten at least a mini-camp invite. I
know Snell has some injury issues, but I thought he might have gotten a look too based on his stellar career, Overall it just seemed to be a bad year for FCS players getting a shot, especially from the Big Sky.
The part that I don't see anyone talking about is that this is indicative of the regression in talent in the FCS. We've been saying it ever since the pandemic. Does no one else see it?

I know it's depressing to think about as we all share college football in Montana being a big part of our lives....
For sure there is less talent in the FCS with the portal. I also didn’t expect the Cats/Griz to get many looks. SDSU had a once in a generation team, so of course had a good year in terms of guys getting a shot in the NFL. However, NDSU still got theirs, and in the grand scheme of things I’d say the Cats/Griz/Bison were pretty equal in terms of talent.

It just surprises me that Gubner in particular has yet to receive an invite. Snell’s injury could have scared teams off as well. Braxton Hill was the only other player that comes to mind out of the Montana schools that might have gotten a look. Obviously there are guys who are more qualified than I am to judge talent for the NFL, but those three players really stood out this year over the past couple of years.
Yeah....no. We still can't hold NDSU's jockstraps, whomever thinks we're on the same level as the Dakotas should probably lay off the wacky.
You must have missed the playoff game in Bozeman last year. Cats finally held their own in the trenches and basically gave the game away. I guess you could make a good argument that the Bison had a better kicking game last year...but that's about it. Cats were also a toe-tap an inch out of bounds from beating SDSU in Brookings (though they were clearly a level above everyone else come playoff time). Anywho, I'm perfectly comfortable saying the Cats are at the level of the Dakotas this year (and last year given how those games played out head to head last season), and I haven't touched the whacky weed in 30 years......

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:25 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:
know Snell has some injury issues, but I thought he might have gotten a look too based on his stellar career, Overall it just seemed to be a bad year for FCS players getting a shot, especially from the Big Sky.
The part that I don't see anyone talking about is that this is indicative of the regression in talent in the FCS. We've been saying it ever since the pandemic. Does no one else see it?

I know it's depressing to think about as we all share college football in Montana being a big part of our lives....
For sure there is less talent in the FCS with the portal. I also didn’t expect the Cats/Griz to get many looks. SDSU had a once in a generation team, so of course had a good year in terms of guys getting a shot in the NFL. However, NDSU still got theirs, and in the grand scheme of things I’d say the Cats/Griz/Bison were pretty equal in terms of talent.

It just surprises me that Gubner in particular has yet to receive an invite. Snell’s injury could have scared teams off as well. Braxton Hill was the only other player that comes to mind out of the Montana schools that might have gotten a look. Obviously there are guys who are more qualified than I am to judge talent for the NFL, but those three players really stood out this year over the past couple of years.
Yeah....no. We still can't hold NDSU's jockstraps, whomever thinks we're on the same level as the Dakotas should probably lay off the wacky.
Simply based on the Round of 16 game in Bozeman, the teams were evenly matched and NDSU couldn’t stop the MSU offense in either the run or pass game.

SDSU, yeah, nobody is there but NDSU isn’t who they were even three years ago.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:12 pm

My son pulled a signed Jadon Janke card out of a pack on Saturday. Looks like the Janke twins are staying together.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:23 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:06 am
MSU01 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:57 am
rivercat wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:25 am
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:

This is the fact. The ease of transferring combined with the NIL money results in top talent from FCS and G5 getting poached by the P5. It's that simple.
I'll happily defer to Colter on his judgment of the overall talent level of the FCS division since he spends far more time paying attention to it than I do, but I don't think it's as easy as blaming it all on the Transfer Portal. In the last three drafts since the "free transfer" Portal era began, there have been a total of 47 FCS players drafted but only 6 players drafted who were FCS to FBS transfers. The 2022 Draft tied for the most FCS draft picks (24) since the year 2000 when there were 28 FCS players drafted, so at least in terms of draft picks we haven't seen some kind of huge dropoff yet. The relatively low UDFA numbers are interesting this year though, not sure if that's because the teams are signing fewer UDFA players in general or if they're signing more FBS players over FCS ones.
One other aspect that hasn't been brought up is the movement of entire teams from FCS to FBS. The talent in the FCS has dropped because teams have left, not players. The top 10-15 teams in the FCS might be better now than the top 10-15 pre-2020 but the next 10-15 are worse. Teams haven't lost top end talent or depth, the league has.
We debated every factor we could think of today. It ended up taking up more than an hour of the show so thanks for the great content idea!

Travelingcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Travelingcat » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:48 am

I am a bit surprised that Askelson hasn't even gotten a tryout opportunity, given strong production and a pretty solid pro day.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:19 pm

PapaG wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:25 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:

Simply based on the Round of 16 game in Bozeman, the teams were evenly matched and NDSU couldn’t stop the MSU offense in either the run or pass game.

SDSU, yeah, nobody is there but NDSU isn’t who they were even three years ago.
Here's the thing, Start of the season I think we were better than NDSU, we lost a lot of depth right off the bat but we also lost our swagger through out the season and muddled through a Big Sky Conference that was particularly bad this past year, I think Idaho and Montana were probably the closest talent wise, but I felt we had more playmakers and a better overall roster, but both those teams beat us. We got a lucky draw on an NDSU team that I do agree is way down on talent, and we still couldn't get it done.

There's more than just having NFL talent on your roster, you've got to have those kids focused and prepared and IMO the coaches have done a poor job at this. NDSU will get theirs into the NFL and Win games they aren't supposed to because of being focused, prepared, having swagger and having trust in their teammates. All that translates to being able to show off what you got and elevating their game. Maybe someday we'll figure it out, but I felt we were closer under Choate. Hopefully some new blood infuses positive changes for the team.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:59 pm

Clevan to Cleveland

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:39 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:59 pm
Clevan to Cleveland

Great to see. Really fun guy in the interview room. Made one of the greatest catches in MSU history.

MSU - 16 team National Champions (most recent 2024); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:47 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:39 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Clevan to Cleveland

Great to see. Really fun guy in the interview room. Made one of the greatest catches in MSU history.
The one that should’ve won the game?!

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:12 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:47 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:39 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Clevan to Cleveland

The one that should’ve won the game?!
You need to ask? :wink:

MSU - 16 team National Champions (most recent 2024); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:27 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:18 pm
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:

More than teams leaving the FCS, it would seem that the best FCS players with NFL potential enter the portal. But it does not appear to be panning out for those portal guys. You have to wonder if Ifanse stayed at MSU and has an All American season, does he at least get UDFA opportunity?
This is my thought. FCS star goes to FBS and is solid but doesn't stand out probably don't get drafted. Had they stayed and been best player on a team and all American maybe they get a shot.

Sports is not bigger than life

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:44 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:27 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:

More than teams leaving the FCS, it would seem that the best FCS players with NFL potential enter the portal. But it does not appear to be panning out for those portal guys. You have to wonder if Ifanse stayed at MSU and has an All American season, does he at least get UDFA opportunity?
This is my thought. FCS star goes to FBS and is solid but doesn't stand out probably don't get drafted. Had they stayed and been best player on a team and all American maybe they get a shot.
As I said on the ESPN show earlier this week, Samori Toure did not get drafted because he went to Nebraska. He got drafted because he ran a 4.48. If he is coming off a 1,600-yard season at Montana and runs 4.48, you could argue he'd actually get drafted higher.

Eddie Heckard formerly of Weber State did not sign an undrafted free agent contract because he transferred to BYU. It's because he ran a 4.4 on his pro day.

The one argument you could make is for Daron Bland, Sac State CB who transferred to Fresno State. But it wasn't his Fresno tape that made him a 4th round draft pick. It was his Senior Bowl tape that got him drafted.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:50 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:44 pm
tetoncat wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:27 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:

As I said on the ESPN show earlier this week, Samori Toure did not get drafted because he went to Nebraska. He got drafted because he ran a 4.48. If he is coming off a 1,600-yard season at Montana and runs 4.48, you could argue he'd actually get drafted higher.

Eddie Heckard formerly of Weber State did not sign an undrafted free agent contract because he transferred to BYU. It's because he ran a 4.4 on his pro day.

The one argument you could make is for Daron Bland, Sac State CB who transferred to Fresno State. But it wasn't his Fresno tape that made him a 4th round draft pick. It was his Senior Bowl tape that got him drafted.
He may not have received a Senior Bowl invitation without moving to FBS. It’s rare for a Big Sky player to get into that game.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed May 01, 2024 12:33 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed May 01, 2024 2:20 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 12:33 pm
Live look in at Bryce Young...

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Wed May 01, 2024 2:25 pm

fixed it for you..
coloradocat wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 2:20 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 12:33 pm
Live look in at Bryce Young's replacement...

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Wed May 01, 2024 5:59 pm

The crying about gubner is classic.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed May 01, 2024 6:05 pm

94VegasCat wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 5:59 pm
What did I miss?

toM StUber

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Wed May 01, 2024 7:33 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 6:05 pm
94VegasCat wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 5:59 pm
What did I miss?
He wasn’t drafted. He didn’t have an immediate free agent deal. Has he finally received a mini camp invite? Oh the horror that a gris hasn’t been drafted omg

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu May 02, 2024 5:41 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:

Odd thing to say when we outplayed them here in Bozeman.