Tailgate Prices Going Up, Again

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Tailgate Prices Going Up, Again

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:54 am

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:58 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:27 am
I was expecting an increase so I didn't care about that much.

However, I've been anxious about where my parking spots will be this year. I have had the same two spots in the gold lot for over 20 years. They're in the 2nd row right next to the stadium. It is a more than convenient location. I won't mind a slight move if need me, but I won't be happy if I'm no where near that same area. First world problems I know. But I had a few games this year where I had things going on in the morning and was running really late. Nothing better than pulling in my spot, and can be in my seats 5 minutes later!

I really hope there isn't major change in regards to the location of our spots from previous years.
I would like to see more information on how this reassigned/ tailgate selection process is going to pan out. Will it be based on your established history of ownership of your spot, or perhaps your donation or contribution level? Some of us have long established relationships with our neighbors, and that has made for a better experience because it's kind of like an extended family of tailgates. I prefer not to lose that aspect.
More transparency is waranted for how this is going to transpire, and I believe a lot other legacy tailgaters would concur.
Typed my response before I saw this one, but I agree. Our Billings neighbors are like family. They better not be planning to splitting us up!!!
Last edited by WalkOn79 on Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:46 pm

Cats15 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:07 am
AFCAT wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:37 am
MSU is spending $17 million on parking lot improvements around campus and $13 million of that will be spent around the stadium. I think it's safe to say that at least some of that money is coming from the football fans with these price increases for parking and tailgating spots. I don't think these increases are just the cost of success but also the price for decent infrastructure. They are spending money on much needed improvements.
Bring back the mud pits in "student lot"!! Man, those were fun times :wink:
Yes!!! Bumper to bumper cars, shoulder to shoulder people. Mud everywere. Limp bizkit being blasted by a jacked up truck owned by a member of Lamda Chi. It was like the big outdoor mosh pit at the 1999 woodstock.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:17 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:24 am
I'm sure I will catch some flack for this, but here goes anyway. I think a key part of the OP's first post is not being addressed. Sure, we all know prices and inflation and demand are up, so I think most of us don't have a problem with our ticket price going up. Or the tailgate spot going up. Or concession prices increasing. But what I have found interesting is when @91catAlum said that maybe the money he had earmarked previously for another project was now gonna be spent on his tailgate increase instead.

For those that know me, I'm a rabid fan. Have had season tickets for years, through the good times and the bad. My wife complains that 80% (or more) of my wardrobe is Bobcat themed. You know what I'm saying - you're all the same way. But there are times when even I get a little ticked when MSU has it's hands out to its fans and boosters. And it's constant.

I get it - that's how the vast majority of projects are going to be funded when it comes to athletics on campus. And it's the price we have to pay for a successful program and its sustainability. But it does get tiresome when it never ends. What if there were other fans like 91 who had planned on making a contribution to the IPF but decided against it when the cost of tickets, parking, tailgates, etc. went up? And it's not just the IPF; it was the endzone, the scoreboard, the BAC, etc. Next it will be the east side rehab, north endzone expansion, additional skyboxes, etc. And all the while MSU decides to increase prices on everything else.

Yes, every program does it, or at least the good ones that want to grow and get better. But sometimes the excuse of raising prices just because "that's what the other programs do" or "this brings us in line with other programs" doesn't cut it. Why not let fans have a screaming deal on the cost of their tailgate spots? Why not give our fans the best deal around? You can't tell me that MSU is hurting in terms of it football program, and this latest cost increase is finally gonna put us over the top...

Just thinking out loud, because everything in this life is getting more expensive. Sports are supposed to be our outlet, But with rising costs, NIL money, and portal transfers, sports is just becoming a microcosm of everything else that drives us crazy. It's enough to drive the average fan away, and I fear college sports is just one more step closer to pro sports where it's all corporate greed. So let 91 express his frustrations, prop him up, and offer to buy him a beer and a brat at Gold Rush. Because you can be assured he's not the only one.

Steps off soapbox.....
I appreciate your thoughts on this, good sir, well said. Would love to buy you a beer sometime but right now I don't know where my tailgate spot will be :lol:

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:11 am

Email from MSU just out a few minutes ago. Spaces will be re-assigned based on priority points. So we aren't keeping our same neighbors.
The space assignment process begins April 17. You’ll be contacted directly to select your new space using our priority point system, starting with the highest priority points until we get everyone
assigned.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:14 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:19 pm
Got an email from the athletic department today in regards to parking. I don't know if this is the sase for everyone, so don't quote me. But it said that my spots will be in the same place or in very close proximity to where they have always been. I'd assume they are doing everything in their power to make sure this is the case for as many as they can accomodate. \:D/
Looks like they misled you, based on the email that just came out this morning... sucks.

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:39 am

Well, look at the bright side, if you had a spot you still get a spot. Disappointing that its the $ that drives the selection, so you will certainly see some of the premier closest spots will be just a car and no tailgate. Perhaps they will allow two cars per spot, if you have the big donation. Then you may have a few more spots for those on the waiting list?
Looking forward to breaking in my new neighbors....we like to tailgate nude....and we are old. \:D/ :lol:

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:27 am

For those who may not have gotten or seen the email, I think this link will let you see it in browser: https://ats.eccmp.com/ats/msg.aspx?sg1= ... 689186f7dd

Here are the basics from it though:
Pricing will be as follows:

Code: Select all

Location               2024 Cost      Bobcat Club Required Level
West Tailgate          $600           $500
East Tailgate          $600           $500
West RV                $900           $500
East RV                $900           $500
West Reserved          $300           $2000
South Fieldhouse RSVD  $200           $500
South Fieldhouse       $120           $500
S. 7th Ave RV          $350           $500 (New option - North of Kagy Blvd)
The space assignment process begins April 17. You’ll be contacted directly to select your new space using our priority point system, starting with the highest priority points until we get everyone
assigned.

If you did not have a tailgate, RV, or reserved parking space in 2023 and are interested in getting one, we will have additional spaces available as a result of this summer’s parking lot improvements. If you are interested, please join our waitlist at this link:
https://montana.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/ ... 73PQyxqM0C.

When all returning space holders have been assigned, we will allocate space(s) to those on the waitlist via the Priority Point System.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:10 am

They are now charging to park in the lot next to the parking garage on 7th as well :x

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Cats15
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Cats15 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:46 am

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:10 am
They are now charging to park in the lot next to the parking garage on 7th as well :x
per game or season? How much?

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:02 pm

Cats15 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:46 am
coloradocat wrote:
Didn't say. Just that everything south of Grant is paid now. I'm guessing $20/day like the lot by the MOR.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:32 pm

Cats15 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:46 am
coloradocat wrote:
I posted the link to the email, please everyone go and read and you will have just as much info as the rest. For this, the pertinent part would be:
Additionally, paid parking on gameday for campus lots will be implemented. All lots on campus south of Grant Street excluding the Bison Lot 2 (Residential), South Fieldhouse Lot 15, West
Stadium lot 20 & East Stadium lot 25 will be paid gameday parking, including the parking garage off 7th Street. Additional information about this will be provided in the coming months.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:08 pm

Still PO'd that this is more than likely the end to our arrangement with the boys from Billings.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:19 pm

kmax wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:27 am
For those who may not have gotten or seen the email, I think this link will let you see it in browser: https://ats.eccmp.com/ats/msg.aspx?sg1= ... 689186f7dd

Here are the basics from it though:
Pricing will be as follows:

assigned.

If you did not have a tailgate, RV, or reserved parking space in 2023 and are interested in getting one, we will have additional spaces available as a result of this summer’s parking lot improvements. If you are interested, please join our waitlist at this link:
https://montana.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/ ... 73PQyxqM0C.

When all returning space holders have been assigned, we will allocate space(s) to those on the waitlist via the Priority Point System.
The only partial solution I can think of for tailgaters is to talk to your neighbors that you want to stick with, assuming you have their contact info, and figure out everyone's priority order and when each person's turn comes up ask for the spot next to your higher priority neighbors. It'll be a hassle and a lot of communication but it's probably the only way to have a shot at keeping things the way they were.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:34 pm

So no more free parking within reasonable walking distance to the stadium. Awesome. Inflation at an all time high, and they decide to roll this out? How many parking lot cops will they have to hire to police this? Terrible move and blatant money grab by MSU. Slowly killing the golden goose...

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:44 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:34 pm
So no more free parking within reasonable walking distance to the stadium. Awesome. Inflation at an all time high, and they decide to roll this out? How many parking lot cops will they have to hire to police this? Terrible move and blatant money grab by MSU. Slowly killing the golden goose...
Come on now, inflation is not at an all-time high here in the U.S.. If you had tried to start and/or build a business, or in any way had to make a living in the late 1970s early 1980s you'd know that. You're either ignorant of the other individual years and periods when inflation was higher than now or maybe you've just forgotten or could there be a third reason.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

HiLineCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by HiLineCat » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:20 pm

Who would I call to talk to about the handicap parking situation? We have been parking in the handicap parking on the east side since the end zone renovation. I can't tell by the drawings if there will be regular handicap parking or just the reserved handicap at a total of $800 for a space.

HiLineCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by HiLineCat » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:20 pm

Who would I call to talk to about the handicap parking situation? We have been parking in the handicap parking on the east side since the end zone renovation. I can't tell by the drawings if there will be regular handicap parking or just the reserved handicap at a total of $800 for a space.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:34 pm

HiLineCat wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:20 pm
This was the number on the parking email I received, so I’d start here.

1-406-994-2287

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:29 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:44 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:34 pm
Come on now, inflation is not at an all-time high here in the U.S.. If you had tried to start and/or build a business, or in any way had to make a living in the late 1970s early 1980s you'd know that. You're either ignorant of the other individual years and periods when inflation was higher than now or maybe you've just forgotten or could there be a third reason.
Apologies. Addendum to add "... all time high in my lifetime" (I was born in '84, so just a young whippersnapper).

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:37 am

91catAlum wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:16 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:55 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:20 pm
catatac wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:43 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:07 pm
<<I'm going to complain about consecutive price increases on the east side blue lot tailgate spots. If you don't want to hear it, feel free to move to the next thread.>>

Just called to renew my season tix and pay for my east-side tailgate spot. Paid for our tickets and Bobcat Club dues, and then transferred over to the Bobcat Club who said I can't renew our tailgate spot yet because they are all changing due to the parking lot being paved. They will contact us in late April about our tailgate spots. She said I'm still guaranteed a spot but it might not be in the same place. Also - the price is going up from $400 to $600.

It was just 1 year ago (maybe 2?) that the tailgate spots doubled from $200 to $400. Now they are $600. That's 200% inflation over just 2-3 years. Is it just me, or does this seem like kind of a steep increase in a very short period of time, especially given that the cost of season tickets also increased in that same timeframe??

So - instead of donating $100 to the IPF, I'll be paying an extra 200 for our tailgate spot. This increase puts my total cost, for 6 home football games, at just shy of $2000.
So you'll likely be at $3,000 by year's end with 3 hope playoff games. That's why I have been skipping a couple early season home games lately, especially if I'm pretty sure they're gonna be snoozers.
Maybe, ya. But last year was 1 and done.

Just seems a bit excessive to charge $100 per game for a tailgate spot.

Does anyone know the cost of the tailgate spots on the west side of the stadium? Have they always been more and I should shut up? Or did they go way up in price also?
100 per game is a steal. Pretty sure UW charges like 50-60 per head just to get in the tailgate area. I mean I've dropped 80 dollars to park for a Mariners game, and then proceed to drop 30 bucks a drink. All said and done, its a cheap game if I can get out of there spending less than $200, (typically I drop 200-400 a game) and that's doesn't include tickets.

If we want to be competitive and play big boy football it takes large amounts of cash, and things right now are super cheap so expect it to get a lot worse.
I hear what you're saying... but this ain't pro sports, or even PAC-12 football. This is Montana State in the FCS which nobody cares about nationally. It shouldn't cost anywhere near what it costs to goto a UW Huskies football game.

I agree that $200 per season a couple years ago was a steal. Jacking that up to $600 per season is not a steal, it's tripling the price in 2 years. If you were paying it you'd have some sticker-shock too.

If they move my spot too far away from where it's been I'm going to just let it go and you won't have to read my biitching about price hikes anymore 😆
I understand what you're saying as well, but I think most of us want to see MSU continue to climb in recognition and visibility. There's only one way to do that, cash, and unfortunately we don't have enough big fish to support the program so its going to fall on the spectators. I really wouldn't be surprised if seats were $1000 next year, its just where its all going. Not saying it's right but they're scrapping the barrel and hard as they can.