2024 Season

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: 2024 Season

Post by The MICKSTER » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:48 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am
MSU01 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:32 am
Personally I'm just fine with the 6 home/6 away schedules for 2024 and 2025. It costs a lot of money to be a Bobcat football fan these days and something tells me that MSU Athletics wouldn't institute a "buy 6, get one free" policy for season tickets for a potential seventh home game!
Agreed. UM is thumping its chest about all their home games and it's going to become unaffordable for some. Maybe if they have a long waitlist for season tickets it's OK to price some folks out of the market. As for me, I live close enough and can get to Bozeman and back on a Saturday so it's not too terrible. I used to live in the Flathead and every home game was expensive. Add two more and I might have had to make some decisions. I think you have to be really careful about loading up a home schedule...it's a pretty presumptuous move.
I see your point. However, IF 20k+ fans results in a net profit/game, then the cost for season tickets shouldn't go up significantly, or at all, if MSU adds home games. In a 'normal' 11 game season, would you rather there be just 1 OoC home game (5 home games)? Or, do you think 6 home games is the 'sweet spot'?

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:02 am

The MICKSTER wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:48 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Personally I'm just fine with the 6 home/6 away schedules for 2024 and 2025. It costs a lot of money to be a Bobcat football fan these days and something tells me that MSU Athletics wouldn't institute a "buy 6, get one free" policy for season tickets for a potential seventh home game!
Agreed. UM is thumping its chest about all their home games and it's going to become unaffordable for some. Maybe if they have a long waitlist for season tickets it's OK to price some folks out of the market. As for me, I live close enough and can get to Bozeman and back on a Saturday so it's not too terrible. I used to live in the Flathead and every home game was expensive. Add two more and I might have had to make some decisions. I think you have to be really careful about loading up a home schedule...it's a pretty presumptuous move.
I see your point. However, IF 20k+ fans results in a net profit/game, then the cost for season tickets shouldn't go up significantly, or at all, if MSU adds home games. In a 'normal' 11 game season, would you rather there be just 1 OoC home game (5 home games)? Or, do you think 6 home games is the 'sweet spot'?
I think the cost per ticket has stays the same, but I'm pretty sure they'll charge based on the amount of games. They'd have to--there's a ton of expense that goes into hosting a game anymore. Personally, I'd still be fine with seven home games. It would actually make me feel better about taking a weekend off and giving my tickets to someone else. I just think it's something you have to consider as an AD when making a schedule. UM has 8 home games in 2025, and I think that's asking a lot of their fan base. If they make the playoffs and host (almost a certainty), they're probably hosting at least two games. 10-11 home games is a possibility, and when a lot of fans look back at their credit card statement at the end of that season, they're going to have to do some thinking about whether that's sustainable.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:07 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:02 am
The MICKSTER wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
I think the cost per ticket has stays the same, but I'm pretty sure they'll charge based on the amount of games. They'd have to--there's a ton of expense that goes into hosting a game anymore. Personally, I'd still be fine with seven home games. It would actually make me feel better about taking a weekend off and giving my tickets to someone else. I just think it's something you have to consider as an AD when making a schedule. UM has 8 home games in 2025, and I think that's asking a lot of their fan base. If they make the playoffs and host (almost a certainty), they're probably hosting at least two games. 10-11 home games is a possibility, and when a lot of fans look back at their credit card statement at the end of that season, they're going to have to do some thinking about whether that's sustainable.
I think playoff games are generally sustainable for fans, regardless of how many there are.

Going back to the original question/complaint about having only 2 OOC home games, I think that is because of the deal with Utah Tech. We set up a 2/1 with them and this is their home game from the agreement. We're also getting paid to beat an FBS team. Not much you can do about either of those.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:08 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
The MICKSTER wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
With the ticket resale websites, season ticket holders from MSU or um can usually sell their tickets for any home game at cost or, as is usually the case, profit so I really don't see an issue with more home games.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:36 am

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:07 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
The MICKSTER wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
I think playoff games are generally sustainable for fans, regardless of how many there are.

Going back to the original question/complaint about having only 2 OOC home games, I think that is because of the deal with Utah Tech. We set up a 2/1 with them and this is their home game from the agreement. We're also getting paid to beat an FBS team. Not much you can do about either of those.
Yes, I think that's the other part of this. It's not like an FCS AD can just pick up the phone and get just anybody to come to town. You have to offer something, and if it's $100k, that's not competing with what they could get from a bigger program. And as a program, do you really want games with cellar dwellers who could really benefit from a small payday? It's not the worst thing necessarily, but there's not much point in loading up a schedule with bad teams just for the sake of having home games. So if you're getting good, competitive games, you're probably having to agree to a home-and-home with them. So a home game this year is a road game next year. It's doable, but it's not as easy as some of us tend to think!

And yes, I agree that playoff games are sustainable. I will never miss a playoff game. I'm just saying if you have three home playoff games on top of 8 home regular season games, that's going to hurt me financially. Again, all I'm saying is that it's a consideration athletic departments have to make.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:43 am

rivercat wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:08 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
The MICKSTER wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
With the ticket resale websites, season ticket holders from MSU or um can usually sell their tickets for any home game at cost or, as is usually the case, profit so I really don't see an issue with more home games.
Agreed, but I think the FOMO factor is going to prevent a lot of people from selling tickets. Do that a couple years in a row and some people might start making some financial decisions. Yes, that's their fault and their decision. Happened to me in 2021, traveling back and forth from the Flathead every week, then going to Frisco. I personally could not have done that season two years in a row!

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:05 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:36 am
coloradocat wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:07 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
The MICKSTER wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

Yes, I think that's the other part of this. It's not like an FCS AD can just pick up the phone and get just anybody to come to town. You have to offer something, and if it's $100k, that's not competing with what they could get from a bigger program. And as a program, do you really want games with cellar dwellers who could really benefit from a small payday? It's not the worst thing necessarily, but there's not much point in loading up a schedule with bad teams just for the sake of having home games. So if you're getting good, competitive games, you're probably having to agree to a home-and-home with them. So a home game this year is a road game next year. It's doable, but it's not as easy as some of us tend to think!

And yes, I agree that playoff games are sustainable. I will never miss a playoff game. I'm just saying if you have three home playoff games on top of 8 home regular season games, that's going to hurt me financially. Again, all I'm saying is that it's a consideration athletic departments have to make.
Sounds like Haslem didn't get the message :wink: :wink:

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:46 pm

catscat wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:21 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:09 am
catatac wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:03 pm
Bocephus wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:12 pm
catatac wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:49 am
gtapp wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:24 am
Many of us have been looking forward to 2024 and it looks like it will not disappoint. This team looks so strong and deep. Not perfect but it doesn't need to be. While I don't expect them to go undefeated (that is very difficult to do) there is not a game on their schedule they cannot win. So much Senior leadership! That alone can carry the team to many wins.
Great post. I agree - I wouldn't be shocked if we went 12-0... but that is very hard to do. My gut tells me we're looking at 10-2 or 11-1 when the regular season dust settles.
Seems like there’s always that out of sink “Idaho type” game and an injury laden game that could produce 1-2 losses.
Yep. Looking at the schedule got me thinking about something. How long has it been since we beat an FBS school? I know we've been sooooo dang close several times but it seems like it's been forever. I'm guessing there's been one since Colorado but that's the last one I can remember. Golden opportunity to get that monkey off the back against New Mexico in the season opener, and I would think we'll probably be favored in that game.
Yeah, pretty sure it was Colorado in 2006. Had some really close ones against Wazzu, Idaho, SMU, Wyoming, plus some blowouts. Every one of those close ones stung, but none more than SMU. McGhee was never the same after that game.
Good as he was, DM cost us that game. While in fg range, he scrambled for around a 20 yard loss on 3rd down rather than throwing the ball away. Took us out of fg range. It's been a long time ago for my memory, but I think he got hurt on a subsequent drive as time ran out - one that would have been unnecessary had we scored the field goal. Of course we would have had to make the FG, but seems like we had some pretty good kickers back in those days.
DM didn't cost us that game, boneheaded play calling did. As you said, the Cats were in FG range, and were driving the ball. Instead of handing the ball off to Cody Kirk, a pass play was called. Don't remember now if it was play action or shotgun, but it was second down and medium with the clock running and a pass play was called. SMU DC gambled and called the perfect blitz that was not picked up, which resulted in the huge loss, knocking the Cats out of FG range. And of course third down they didn't convert and had to punt. Before that second down play I was screaming at the TV to run the ball. Sadly, it was Deja Vu to the Wazzu game a few years prior in almost the exact same situation where a Freshman DM was hurried and threw a pick that was returned inside the WSU 20.

I don't fault DM in either of those situations. The job of the coaching staff is to put the players in the best position to succeed. Ash did a commendable job taking over the mess left behind by Kramer, but on too many occasions during his tenure, he and his staff failed the players on the field with their decision making.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:13 pm

I think the run game will be more effective than it was last year. I see more 5-14 yard runs against teams with strong run defenses. I felt the numbers were skewed a bit by long running plays late in games. I believe MSU will also develop a couple RBs to be wildcat QBs with Mellott lined up at WR. I like Humphries and Coon improving the physical side of the non-QB run game although Chambers is a big loss in that area overall. It'll be interesting to see just how many carries they get in 2024. Elliott could also be a factor in that area. I think it'll be more like the 2021 and 2022 run games.

I think the passing game will also be more effective with Mellott taking all the snaps. The 2 QB system is great when both QBs are healthy but when one is almost always injured it takes away from it to a point that I think a one 1 QB system is more efficient. Passing game involves a lot of rhythm and it's difficult to get that when you're running QBs in and out of the game. Seemed like a lot of MSU's good passing games came when one QB was out or injured to a point of not playing as much as normal. Of course, the big issue with Mellott is keeping him healthy but I don't think any of his injuries were of the wear-and-tear type. Two of his four injuries came in the first quarter (ankle vs NDSU; concussion vs EWU). The others were in the third quarter vs SDSU and NDSU. All four occurred from a hit and I don't think there's anything else involved so I don't think there's any more of a chance of him being hurt than there is for anyone else. That said, the QB position is a tough one to make it through and 12-16 game schedule. I think the WRs/TEs will help the passing game a lot.

I think the pass defense has a very good chance to improve, especially over the last portion (4-5 games) of the regular season. There seems to be more depth, especially in the secondary. Could go three-deep will very good players there. The LBs look solid at this point but we probably won't know what the deal is until the first game rolls around.

I think the run defense will be about the same despite the loss of Valdez. Most teams have to go to the air against MSU so when they don't MSU is susceptible to the run at times. Teams with a big, physical OL could pose problems, however there aren't many on the schedule. I think the coaching changes will be significant. The rotation is the key and MSU seems to have about 10-11 guys at its disposal.

Special teams are good everywhere except placekicking. Kickoffs, punts, coverage and returns are all well above average. At this point MSU is a wreck if/when a FG or XP is needed to win or tie a game.

A lot like last year in that I felt the pass game and overall defense needed to improve over 2022. I thought the defense improving from 2022-2023 was kind of a tossup, but this year I think there'll definitely be an improvement. I thought MSU has a better chance of improving in the pass game from 2022-23 than it did on defense, but I think this year's pass game is going to be better with a lot of that hinging on Mellott's ability to be healthy and on the field vs the top teams.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:40 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:13 pm

I think the run defense will be about the same despite the loss of Valdez. Most teams have to go to the air against MSU so when they don't MSU is susceptible to the run at times. Teams with a big, physical OL could pose problems, however there aren't many on the schedule. I think the coaching changes will be significant. The rotation is the key and MSU seems to have about 10-11 guys at its disposal.
Yeah I think the D-line won't take a step back because while there might not be a Valdez on the interior, I definitely think it will be deeper.

Sharbono, Schmidt, Brott, Eckert, Marsh, Black, Crews, Eiden, Grebe

Cats should be able to get back to what the '22 team had where the D-line looks more like a hockey line. Lots of players getting snaps.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:40 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:13 pm

Yeah I think the D-line won't take a step back because while there might not be a Valdez on the interior, I definitely think it will be deeper.

Sharbono, Schmidt, Brott, Eckert, Marsh, Black, Crews, Eiden, Grebe

Cats should be able to get back to what the '22 team had where the D-line looks more like a hockey line. Lots of players getting snaps.
Great post. I feel good about the DL. I think Vigen does too. Still needs some players to step and continue to improve and prove they are ready for prime time... but I think Vigen made a comment something along the lines of, if we have what we currently think we have, there could be 8 players available to rotate interior DL. Not concerned about DE's whatsoever. I think Grebe might finally prove his worth this year. LOL. Between him, Eiden, and Crews, proven studs there. Is Marsh #4? I've heard good things about Sharbono. Then Parsons, Frederickson... maybe Vigen is close to making it onto the field? Solano? (Yes, I am basically just naming names off the roster.) :lol:

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:09 am

MSU01 wrote:
Having the extra game should also benefit future home-and-home series matchups. It allows for scheduling the away game (Utah Tech 2024 and Stephen F Austin 2025) within a 12-game season, and then have your home game within an 11-game season.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 am

catscat wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
catatac wrote:
Bocephus wrote:
catatac wrote:
gtapp wrote:
Many of us have been looking forward to 2024 and it looks like it will not disappoint. This team looks so strong and deep. Not perfect but it doesn't need to be. While I don't expect them to go undefeated (that is very difficult to do) there is not a game on their schedule they cannot win. So much Senior leadership! That alone can carry the team to many wins.
Great post. I agree - I wouldn't be shocked if we went 12-0... but that is very hard to do. My gut tells me we're looking at 10-2 or 11-1 when the regular season dust settles.
Seems like there’s always that out of sink “Idaho type” game and an injury laden game that could produce 1-2 losses.
Yep. Looking at the schedule got me thinking about something. How long has it been since we beat an FBS school? I know we've been sooooo dang close several times but it seems like it's been forever. I'm guessing there's been one since Colorado but that's the last one I can remember. Golden opportunity to get that monkey off the back against New Mexico in the season opener, and I would think we'll probably be favored in that game.
Yeah, pretty sure it was Colorado in 2006. Had some really close ones against Wazzu, Idaho, SMU, Wyoming, plus some blowouts. Every one of those close ones stung, but none more than SMU. McGhee was never the same after that game.
Good as he was, DM cost us that game. While in fg range, he scrambled for around a 20 yard loss on 3rd down rather than throwing the ball away. Took us out of fg range. It's been a long time ago for my memory, but I think he got hurt on a subsequent drive as time ran out - one that would have been unnecessary had we scored the field goal. Of course we would have had to make the FG, but seems like we had some pretty good kickers back in those days.
The worst thing that happened is that on the last play before halftime, we had to punt. SMU was a block away from taking it to the house on earlier punts. There was too much time left to let the half run out so rather than having the punter punt out of bounds or squibbing it...he let him punt it right to the returner who "took it to the house!" We lost by less than a TD.

2024 Resume dominance

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:19 am

The Butcher wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:09 am
MSU01 wrote:
Having the extra game should also benefit future home-and-home series matchups. It allows for scheduling the away game (Utah Tech 2024 and Stephen F Austin 2025) within a 12-game season, and then have your home game within an 11-game season.
We had better win them all because the Griz have an easier schedule than last year! Their non- conference home games are a bunch of patsies. Is gonna be real exciting for Griz fans watching them kick the hell out of the Little Sisters of the Poor for half their games. They don't play Idaho or Sac. Davis, NAU and Weber are at home, UND and Eastern are their toughest road games. They will probably be 11-0 when they come to Bozeman!

2024 Resume dominance

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:22 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:19 am
The Butcher wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:09 am
MSU01 wrote:
We had better win them all because the Griz have an easier schedule than last year! Their non- conference home games are a bunch of patsies. Is gonna be real exciting for Griz fans watching them kick the hell out of the Little Sisters of the Poor for half their games. They don't play Idaho or Sac. Davis, NAU and Weber are at home, UND and Eastern are their toughest road games. They will probably be 11-0 when they come to Bozeman!
How crazy would two 11-0 teams be for Cat-Griz! Could mean another Gameday visit to Bozeman. :lol: :lol: I could just see Gris fans heads explode!

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:48 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 am
catscat wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
catatac wrote:
Bocephus wrote:
catatac wrote:
gtapp wrote:
The worst thing that happened is that on the last play before halftime, we had to punt. SMU was a block away from taking it to the house on earlier punts. There was too much time left to let the half run out so rather than having the punter punt out of bounds or squibbing it...he let him punt it right to the returner who "took it to the house!" We lost by less than a TD.
Yep…I was at that game and that punt return TD just before half was a real killer.