Portal recruitment

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

FlyCastingCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Portal recruitment

Post by FlyCastingCat » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:56 am

So is MSU not recruiting the portal because we don't need anybody or what? Everyday the griz get a commitment from another FBS guy. What gives?

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: Portal recruitment

Post by MSU01 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:04 am

MSU had a relatively small senior class and has signed high school recruits to fill most of its open spots. They have to be much more selective with their portal signings than those other guys, at least until the next Portal window later in the Spring when more roster spots will likely open up.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:15 am

:deadhorse:

Hating the griz since 02.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:41 am

There’s multiple threads and posts on this. Try reading one of those first, maybe?

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:59 am

FlyCastingCat wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:56 am
So is MSU not recruiting the portal because we don't need anybody or what? Everyday the griz get a commitment from another FBS guy. What gives?
There is plenty on this site about this but if you look at the consistent programs, the ones that have made at least the semifinals several times the last half decade, none have large portal signings. NDSU, SDSU, and yes MSU use the portal to fill a few needs, not to rebuild the roster. That coupled with a relatively small senior class is why your not seeing a ton of signings.

And it shows the relative strength of the program. If your constantly needing drop downs all over the field it doesn't speak very well of your ability to evaluate and recruit. That also goes hand in hand why the Cats have been poached by the portal. They've gotten FBS talent to come play here.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:59 am

FlyCastingCat wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:56 am
https://bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewt ... 15#p857615

Here is my post from another thread. Most of our additions at a starter level come on defense not only for competition but also quality depth. DT was big one but we closed that with the signing of Eckert. I actually didn't even think we had to sign a transfer OL despite the losses because I like our depth that much but we did anyway. LB and K are the two biggest needs right now. At LB, we have two starters in Danny and McCade but we have a bunch of younger guys or players not developing timely. Do you bet on your development process or bring in two transfers at LB to compete to push the starters and weed out the depth that isn't developing? I vote for the latter going into 2024. Every position in the secondary (CB, NB, S) could use another starter level player. I like our starters and some of the two deep in the secondary but, as we saw last year, banking on them playing at full health all year is a big ask. Offensively, maybe another QB or WR? I like our offense as is but coaches love competition.

Final request: please stop worrying about what the Griz do. They have a different roster with different needs.
Last edited by VimSince03 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bocephus » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:00 am

We are the deepest team in the Big Sky! Gris have some major holes to fill and the scholarships to go with it.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:39 pm

When was the last time (who gives a sh!t) the gris had a QB go start to finish as a gris? Kris Brown and he sucked.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:06 am

Bocephus wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:00 am
We are the deepest team in the Big Sky! Gris have some major holes to fill and the scholarships to go with it.
Definitely need more beef on both sides of the line if the actual goal is a national championship versus just making the playoffs. It gets old watching the kids get manhandled by the Dakota schools late in the year.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:54 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:06 am
Bocephus wrote:
Definitely need more beef on both sides of the line if the actual goal is a national championship versus just making the playoffs. It gets old watching the kids get manhandled by the Dakota schools late in the year.
SDSU didn’t “manhandle” the “kids” in the 2021 semifinal and in September 2023. NDSU didn’t “manhandle” the “kids” in the playoffs this season. What are you going on about with this line of criticism?

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by St George » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:57 am

How did the portal work for Colorado last year?

jgrilley406
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jgrilley406 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:11 pm

PapaG wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:54 am
Cat Grad wrote:
Bocephus wrote:
SDSU didn’t “manhandle” the “kids” in the 2021 semifinal and in September 2023. NDSU didn’t “manhandle” the “kids” in the playoffs this season. What are you going on about with this line of criticism?
The SDSU team in 2021 was young they were rostered with the players that just won it this year and that year NDSU had their way in the championship. NDSU this year and like SDSU did last year got huge rushing games against the defense is what he’s getting at I’m guessing. In order for the cats and to take that one giant step forward they need more consistency on defense especially when the offense struggles, so they can have something to lean on and they need to get better on special teams make that 1/3 of the game again.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:02 pm

jgrilley406 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:11 pm
PapaG wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:54 am
Cat Grad wrote:
Bocephus wrote:
The SDSU team in 2021 was young they were rostered with the players that just won it this year and that year NDSU had their way in the championship. NDSU this year and like SDSU did last year got huge rushing games against the defense is what he’s getting at I’m guessing. In order for the cats and to take that one giant step forward they need more consistency on defense especially when the offense struggles, so they can have something to lean on and they need to get better on special teams make that 1/3 of the game again.
I'm not sure what points people are trying to make, if any, but I agree with PapaG here. The DSU teams have not "manhandled" the Cats in quite some time. This year when MSU clashed with SDSU and had to travel to Brookings to play what some were calling one of the best FCS teams of all time, the Cats went toe to toe with them. The Cats have arrived to that level when healthy, and I'm just hoping we continue to develop more quality depth at all positions as that is probably the one area where SDSU and NDSU had an advantage in 2023.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:31 am

St George wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:57 am
How did the portal work for Colorado last year?
Well, they were less worse than before. But it's easier to get wins #2-4 by cleaning house than wins 9-11. It's easier to get wins #2-4 in general.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers