Referee Accountability

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Griznationalist
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Referee Accountability

Post by Griznationalist » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:25 pm

Dbrewmsu wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:22 pm
Griznationalist wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:33 pm
So … the only people complaining about the officiating in yesterday’s Griz win are … fans of the losing team (NDSU) … and Bobcat fans. There’s no statement by the conference. There’s no statement by the schools. There’s just a lot of complaints from fans who don’t like the Griz or ESPN’s declaration of UM’s stadium as the Mecca of FCS football. This thread is hardly an objective or accurate critique of FCS officiating.

Hahaha when is the last time you saw a school or conference put out a 'statement' complaining about refs? A conference? 😂😂Do you watch football? Gris fans. Uneducated
So you admit you’ve got nothing.

Dbrewmsu
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Dbrewmsu » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:35 pm

catsack wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:27 pm
Griznationalist wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:49 pm
Augustus wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:52 pm
Let's just take yesterday's game, for example. Bergen's "TD" on the corner was not a TD. The ball did not cross the plane. It was under his outside arm and his inside shoulder hit the pylon. It did not break the plane. Would they have eventually scored anyway? Probably, but who knows? It wasn't even looked at. An NDSU receiver made an identical approach to the corner and it was ruled not a TD.

57 minutes with zero penalties called against the gris (despite countless holdings and blocks in the back). That just doesn't happen, especially in a tough playoff game.

The completely BS offensive PI call on NDSU where he didn't even touch the defenders, AND, he/they were not even the intended receivers nor were they within 10 yards of the intended receiver.

The tackling of the intended receiver in the end zone on the last play was probably the most egregious, and...not called.

I could go on, but you get the point.

Without question, these referees had their fingers on the scale of this game, whether it was intentional or not. We have no idea how it would have turned out had it been called accurately, but I suspect that the outcome would have been different.

So where is the accountability? What happens to these guys (and now girls :roll: ) when they screw up so badly that it affects the outcome of a game? Something MUST be done to address this.

Again, I'm not saying that the outcome would necessarily have been different yesterday, but the game should be fair. When you lose fairly, that's OK. When you don't, it leaves a very bad taste, and someone should be held accountable. In a game such as football, it's likely never going to be perfect, but it should be one whole hell of a lot closer to perfect than it is.

Also, I think someone should check the bank accounts of the refs for yesterday and look for suspicious deposits. No, I'm not kidding.
On the failed 2-point effort by NDSU, 82 was masquerading as a blocker after the QB handed off the ball. 82 (TE) initiated contact with 8 (CB), 82 attempts to pull down 8 (offensive holding) and run through him, 8 keeps "clean hands" on 82 through play (within 5 yrds of line of scrimmage is legal), 82 loses balance - 8 disengaged - ball is thrown (in that order, which is important on the call).
Good explanation just don’t think the cats understand that
Gris keep using the term masquerading to defend a terrible call or lack thereof by the refs. Masquerading. Is that a new football term? Really? Use one word to tell me you know very, very little about football. Masquerading

Dbrewmsu
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Dbrewmsu » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:45 pm

Griznationalist wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:25 pm
Dbrewmsu wrote:
Griznationalist wrote:
So … the only people complaining about the officiating in yesterday’s Griz win are … fans of the losing team (NDSU) … and Bobcat fans. There’s no statement by the conference. There’s no statement by the schools. There’s just a lot of complaints from fans who don’t like the Griz or ESPN’s declaration of UM’s stadium as the Mecca of FCS football. This thread is hardly an objective or accurate critique of FCS officiating.

Hahaha when is the last time you saw a school or conference put out a 'statement' complaining about refs? A conference? 😂😂Do you watch football? Gris fans. Uneducated
Do I need to explain your own argument to you? Dummy. You: Only the fans who watched the game are complaining. You: the conference and school are not complaining. Thereby, since the school and conference(?) are not complaining (THEY NEVER DO) there is nothing wrong. Welp...classic gris logic. Using that big brain again aren't you. It's like cheating

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:52 pm

I can't help but think back to the griz at Sac State game last year where the Sac receiver was OOB but was awarded a catch anyway and Sac went on to win. Hundreds if not thousands of griz fans lost their ****** and took to Twitter and email to bitch about the officiating, even tagging the Big Sky Commissioner on Twitter so much that he had to respond his support for the officials.

Of course griz fans have no complaints this week. But if the shoe were on the other foot they would be singing a different tune. Just like they did last year after Sac.

Griznationalist

Post by Griznationalist » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:26 pm

Dbrewmsu wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:45 pm
Griznationalist wrote:
Dbrewmsu wrote:
Griznationalist wrote:

Do I need to explain your own argument to you? Dummy. You: Only the fans who watched the game are complaining. You: the conference and school are not complaining. Thereby, since the school and conference(?) are not complaining (THEY NEVER DO) there is nothing wrong. Welp...classic gris logic. Using that big brain again aren't you. It's like cheating
All you’re doing is name calling, which reveals the condition of your argument. The tight end was a run blocker. It’s impossible to commit pass interference on a run blocker by virtue of the contact the TE initiated. Anyone who claims it was pass interference cannot successfully explain how a blocker has a right to a route. Any player or coach who had a problem with how this play transpired had a right to speak to the play in the post-game presser. They can do that without criticizing the refs. They did not. Your argument fails.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:48 pm

catsack wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:09 pm
tetoncat wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:45 pm
Clinton T wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:32 pm
WalkOn79 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:03 pm
Griznationalist wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:42 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:24 pm
Griznationalist wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:11 pm
Funny how the NDSU coaching staff and team members have no complaints about yesterday’s officiating, but Bobcat fans do. This “referee accountability” thread sounds like a Rudy Giuliani special.
1. Coaches and players are not allowed to discuss officiating publicly.

2. It isn't just Bobcat fans talking about the officiating. Nice try though.
What’s your evidence of unacceptable officiating in yesterday’s semi except for Bobcat fans complaining?
Are you living under a rock? Every fan base is talking about it except the Griz.
I guess I was either seeing things or know nothing about the rules (which is entirely possible)...I did not see the refs having much of an impact on the game. NDSU certainly deserved every penalty they received and the gris played a pretty clean game. Am I missing something?
I don't think they deserved the offensive PI that cost them a scoring chance.
That was a good call definitely a pick play rewatch it! NDSU was lined up in the neutral zone on a the fourth down play the Griz got the first but no flag was thrown!
Watched it multiple times, minimal contact. Receiver turned should and into position to catch. If you call that every route with crossing WR Iis PI. selectively called it.

Sports is not bigger than life

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:58 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:52 pm
I can't help but think back to the griz at Sac State game last year where the Sac receiver was OOB but was awarded a catch anyway and Sac went on to win. Hundreds if not thousands of griz fans lost their ****** and took to Twitter and email to bitch about the officiating, even tagging the Big Sky Commissioner on Twitter so much that he had to respond his support for the officials.

Of course griz fans have no complaints this week. But if the shoe were on the other foot they would be singing a different tune. Just like they did last year after Sac.
Bingo. I think it went further than that, I hears some fans actually sought out the reffing powers that be... WE WANT ANSWERS DAMMIT!

Maybe we should have done that after the picture floated around showing what looked to be a catch for a Cat win in Brookings this year. Nah, that would be the definition of a sore loser.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:19 pm

Sorta off topic, but the gris and their fans are definition of a sore winner. (Or is that whiner)?

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

DMMDCats

Post by DMMDCats » Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:27 am

More than enough whining, all around.
Really getting old.

It’s only football. It’s not like brain science or rocket surgery.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:46 am

Griznationalist wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:26 pm
Dbrewmsu wrote:
Griznationalist wrote:
Dbrewmsu wrote:
Griznationalist wrote:

All you’re doing is name calling, which reveals the condition of your argument. The tight end was a run blocker. It’s impossible to commit pass interference on a run blocker by virtue of the contact the TE initiated. Anyone who claims it was pass interference cannot successfully explain how a blocker has a right to a route. Any player or coach who had a problem with how this play transpired had a right to speak to the play in the post-game presser. They can do that without criticizing the refs. They did not. Your argument fails.
First of all he obviously WASN'T a run blocker. He was the intended receiver from the jump. If you can't see that you're dumber than you sound.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:54 am

WalkOn79 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:46 am
Griznationalist wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:26 pm
Dbrewmsu wrote:
Griznationalist wrote:
Dbrewmsu wrote:
Griznationalist wrote:

First of all he obviously WASN'T a run blocker. He was the intended receiver from the jump. If you can't see that you're dumber than you sound.
Let's say he was a run blocker. If the blocker tries to disengage to move to the next level and the defender grabs them and throws them down, it is still holding.

Let's just say that I've noticed the way that refs treat the gris in WGS compared to how we get treated at home for years and nothing about this game changed my opinion. I also don't really care if NDSU got jobbed by the refs for once after all the home cooking they've received in the playoffs for the last decade.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

lakesbison
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by lakesbison » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:48 am

Ndsu official said yesterday the socon officials were intimidated and not used to that environment and intensity.

If you looked at that game play thru the eyes of ndsu and watched it concentrating on the non calls. You would of seen 10-15 easily

That’s a problem

Griznationalist

Post by Griznationalist » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:05 am

lakesbison wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:48 am
Ndsu official said yesterday the socon officials were intimidated and not used to that environment and intensity.

If you looked at that game play thru the eyes of ndsu and watched it concentrating on the non calls. You would of seen 10-15 easily

That’s a problem
What NDSU official said that?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:37 am

The refs need an “Account-a-bill-a-buddy.” Iykyk

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catsack

Post by catsack » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:07 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:48 pm
catsack wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:09 pm
tetoncat wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:45 pm
Clinton T wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:32 pm
WalkOn79 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:03 pm
Griznationalist wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:42 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:24 pm
Griznationalist wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:11 pm
Funny how the NDSU coaching staff and team members have no complaints about yesterday’s officiating, but Bobcat fans do. This “referee accountability” thread sounds like a Rudy Giuliani special.
1. Coaches and players are not allowed to discuss officiating publicly.

2. It isn't just Bobcat fans talking about the officiating. Nice try though.
What’s your evidence of unacceptable officiating in yesterday’s semi except for Bobcat fans complaining?
Are you living under a rock? Every fan base is talking about it except the Griz.
I guess I was either seeing things or know nothing about the rules (which is entirely possible)...I did not see the refs having much of an impact on the game. NDSU certainly deserved every penalty they received and the gris played a pretty clean game. Am I missing something?
I don't think they deserved the offensive PI that cost them a scoring chance.
That was a good call definitely a pick play rewatch it! NDSU was lined up in the neutral zone on a the fourth down play the Griz got the first but no flag was thrown!
Watched it multiple times, minimal contact. Receiver turned should and into position to catch. If you call that every route with crossing WR Iis PI. selectively called it.
Stat line NDSU 9 penalties 60 yards , six false starts for 30 yards, which one of those was huge it nullified a blocked punt! So 3 penalties for 30 yards if you take away the false starts, the Griz two penalties for 30 yards pretty evenly officiated! It was a dam good pick play and got called like it should have!

catsack

Post by catsack » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:10 pm

Dbrewmsu wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:35 pm
catsack wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:27 pm
Griznationalist wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:49 pm
Augustus wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:52 pm
Let's just take yesterday's game, for example. Bergen's "TD" on the corner was not a TD. The ball did not cross the plane. It was under his outside arm and his inside shoulder hit the pylon. It did not break the plane. Would they have eventually scored anyway? Probably, but who knows? It wasn't even looked at. An NDSU receiver made an identical approach to the corner and it was ruled not a TD.

57 minutes with zero penalties called against the gris (despite countless holdings and blocks in the back). That just doesn't happen, especially in a tough playoff game.

The completely BS offensive PI call on NDSU where he didn't even touch the defenders, AND, he/they were not even the intended receivers nor were they within 10 yards of the intended receiver.

The tackling of the intended receiver in the end zone on the last play was probably the most egregious, and...not called.

I could go on, but you get the point.

Without question, these referees had their fingers on the scale of this game, whether it was intentional or not. We have no idea how it would have turned out had it been called accurately, but I suspect that the outcome would have been different.

So where is the accountability? What happens to these guys (and now girls :roll: ) when they screw up so badly that it affects the outcome of a game? Something MUST be done to address this.

Again, I'm not saying that the outcome would necessarily have been different yesterday, but the game should be fair. When you lose fairly, that's OK. When you don't, it leaves a very bad taste, and someone should be held accountable. In a game such as football, it's likely never going to be perfect, but it should be one whole hell of a lot closer to perfect than it is.

Also, I think someone should check the bank accounts of the refs for yesterday and look for suspicious deposits. No, I'm not kidding.
On the failed 2-point effort by NDSU, 82 was masquerading as a blocker after the QB handed off the ball. 82 (TE) initiated contact with 8 (CB), 82 attempts to pull down 8 (offensive holding) and run through him, 8 keeps "clean hands" on 82 through play (within 5 yrds of line of scrimmage is legal), 82 loses balance - 8 disengaged - ball is thrown (in that order, which is important on the call).
Good explanation just don’t think the cats understand that
Gris keep using the term masquerading to defend a terrible call or lack thereof by the refs. Masquerading. Is that a new football term? Really? Use one word to tell me you know very, very little about football. Masquerading
Obviously you don’t understand the rule on that play Walker couldn’t have played that any better!

Dbrewmsu
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Dbrewmsu » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:34 am

Obviously I don't know masquerading as it apllies to football. I think the gris just made that one up. I just had to google masquerading+football, and it brought up the 2023 chicago bears defense. They were masquerading as a defense? Good acting i guess. Go MASQUERATORS! I think??? I hope none of my teams masquerade. It's ok if they use misdirection etc but the missoula school of masqueraders relying on terms from their drama dept is super lame

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:03 am

Wasn't that a fun little pop song from the 80s?
Found it!

lakesbison

Post by lakesbison » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:43 pm

1 week and NDSU still got jobbed by the refs

Clinton T

Post by Clinton T » Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:02 am

lakesbison wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:43 pm
1 week and NDSU still got jobbed by the refs
Lake - you are usually a great poster and I have enjoyed your insight over the years, but this is a terrible take and you will regret it in a years time. Is this how far the Bison have fallen? Blaming referrees? Wow. I hate the gris with every ounce of my soul and would sacrifice years of my life and parts of my body to see them have many 0-11 seasons. Hell, if I could afford it I would buy all of the seats in their stadium so they played in front of zero fans. However, they deserved to win that game. They got their $hit together faster than you guys did and EARNED the right to play the semis at home. Yes, studies have shown home crowds do indeed have an effect on referees. The Cats have certainly used that to their advantage during our home winning streak...and it's not like you guys haven't been the beneficiary of questionable officiating over the years.