Valdez in portal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Valdez in portal

Post by Prodigal Cat » Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:23 am

autocat wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:39 am
Speaking of… what were his stats for this season?

Did he over or under perform? Was he double teamed much?
Doubled nearly all season. He had his good moments and not so good moments. To say Gubner outplayed him in Cat/griz is putting it very mildly.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bocephus » Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:35 am

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:23 am
autocat wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:39 am
Speaking of… what were his stats for this season?

Did he over or under perform? Was he double teamed much?
Doubled nearly all season. He had his good moments and not so good moments. To say Gubner outplayed him in Cat/griz is putting it very mildly.
Gubner is a one man wrecking ball. That guy should have a decent NFL career.

Camo_Cat

Post by Camo_Cat » Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:47 pm

Does SeaBass get to be on the sidelines with UW tonight for the FBS championship game? I know he wouldn't be able to dress out; just curious though if he will get to be with the Huskies team for the big game....

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:32 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:47 pm
Does SeaBass get to be on the sidelines with UW tonight for the FBS championship game? I know he wouldn't be able to dress out; just curious though if he will get to be with the Huskies team for the big game....
During the TX game during a sideline report, I’d swear I saw him pop in and out of the picture. Most likely wrong though. 🤷🏼‍♂️

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:39 pm

94VegasCat wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:32 pm
Camo_Cat wrote:
During the TX game during a sideline report, I’d swear I saw him pop in and out of the picture. Most likely wrong though. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Looks like they could use him right now if he was eligible.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:09 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:39 pm
94VegasCat wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:
i thought the rule says you cant transfer mid year and play for the bowl game in january.
"football players who are transferring for a second time and enter the portal this fall are eligible to compete immediately at their new school in fall 2024."

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:58 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:09 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:39 pm
94VegasCat wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:
i thought the rule says you cant transfer mid year and play for the bowl game in january.
"football players who are transferring for a second time and enter the portal this fall are eligible to compete immediately at their new school in fall 2024."
Who said he could play right now?

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:43 pm

Well, he was there.

nanacat

Post by nanacat » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:46 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:43 pm
Well, he was there.
I'll bet he was smiling watching the gris get humiliated :lol:

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:57 pm

I had said on our podcast a few times this year that I thought Sea Bass was underwhelming a bit this year (so it's not just sour grapes he transferred). He was still our best interior DL but he wasn't making plays this year like he had in the past, wasn't as disruptive. Maybe it was scheme, no idea but he wasn't as productive. It wasn't a huge dropoff or anything but it was noticeable, like others said it was noticeable to the naked eye without looking at stats. You (I) would have expected a bigger jump from a Sophomore season to a Junior one, I had big expectations for him this year, instead it was a small step back.

2022:
44 Tackles (3.14 PG)
10 TFL (.71 PG)
7.5 Sacks (.54 PG)
2 Forced Fumbles
1 Recovered Fumble

2023:
40 Tackles (3.3 PG)
8.5 TFL (.71 PG)
5 Sacks (.42 PG)
0 Force Fumbles
0 Recovered Fumbles

That said it's still a huge loss.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:24 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:57 pm
I had said on our podcast a few times this year that I thought Sea Bass was underwhelming a bit this year (so it's not just sour grapes he transferred). He was still our best interior DL but he wasn't making plays this year like he had in the past, wasn't as disruptive. Maybe it was scheme, no idea but he wasn't as productive. It wasn't a huge dropoff or anything but it was noticeable, like others said it was noticeable to the naked eye without looking at stats. You (I) would have expected a bigger jump from a Sophomore season to a Junior one, I had big expectations for him this year, instead it was a small step back.

2022:
44 Tackles (3.14 PG)
10 TFL (.71 PG)
7.5 Sacks (.54 PG)
2 Forced Fumbles
1 Recovered Fumble

2023:
40 Tackles (3.3 PG)
8.5 TFL (.71 PG)
5 Sacks (.42 PG)
0 Force Fumbles
0 Recovered Fumbles

I agree. Totally respect the kid and he is a damn good player, he'll be missed. That said, I used to think he was right there on par with Gubner and my Griz fan buddy told me early in the season Seabass wasn't in that same class.I disagreed. After watching them both later season and especially watching Gubner through that Griz playoff run, I have to agree. That guy is a friggin animal.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:24 am

Does anyone think Valdez tries to follow his coach to Alabama?

Hating the griz since 02.

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bocephus » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:28 am

CodyCat wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:24 am
Does anyone think Valdez tries to follow his coach to Alabama?
Nope.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:02 am

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:57 pm

2022:
44 Tackles (3.14 PG)
10 TFL (.71 PG)
7.5 Sacks (.54 PG)
2 Forced Fumbles
1 Recovered Fumble

2023:
40 Tackles (3.3 PG)
8.5 TFL (.71 PG)
5 Sacks (.42 PG)
0 Force Fumbles
0 Recovered Fumbles

Need to look at who his sacks, tfl, ff and rf came against and when. He didn’t start getting double teamed until a few games into the 2022 season.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:01 am

nevadacat wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:04 pm
catatac wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:34 pm
MTnative wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:20 pm
WHY did it have to be UW!?

Hope the dawgs lose every game next year. They are a prime example of what is ruining college football.

Hope Seabass has a big year though.
They also snagged the stud ASU edge rusher yesterday, to replace their stud (#1 in QB pressures). I'm really curious how much they're paying the players (I know, I'm a broken record here) to sign, but I guess that information probably isn't readily available.
There has been a lot of wrangling in recent years whether athletes are actually employees. If that comes to pass, then athletes at public colleges would be considered public employees. Not sure about other states, but in Nevada their total compensation would become public record.
Public record in Montana, too. I’d love to see them become state employees. Then their pay would be determined by the state legislature (the regents don’t have free rein), and Montana has notoriously low pay. Most positions, except faculty and professionals, are forced to join a union (this has been broadened greatly in the last few years). They’d have to contribute to a retirement system. And state employees are strictly prohibited (under conflict of interest rules) from accepting any additional pay or in-kind consideration for doing essentially the same thing as their job. Each employee must file a form each year detailing any “outside” employment in their field. So they’d be paid from a matrix, and things like NIL money are illegal. I’d love to see this all come down. 😂