Omar in the portal - Chose Baylor.

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Re: Omar in the portal

Post by The Butcher » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:55 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:45 pm
Hate it, stay committed to your team.

Oh wait sorry, I forgot... So pumped for you Omar! Always a bobcat! Gods plan! Pulling for you! Yay.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I share the same sentiment.
During my time with the Cats, it was all about dedication to the team and my teammates. However, when substantial money is involved, anyone can be bought. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I am indifferent to his performance on a different team; unless it's shared on Bobcatnation, I won't be aware of how he fares after leaving and frankly don't really care unless he plays for the Vikings in the future. Just another dude to me now.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:58 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:22 pm
Everyone should keep in mind All-Big Sky OG JT Reed should be ready to roll next year who was our presumed starter heading into this season. We also have Cole Sain returning for another year. We also have like three to four other kids ready to jump into the competition. If we lose three starters from this years team, we still have one of the best lines in the country. The talent pool is deep.
So, Sain got an injury waiver for another year? Glad he decided to return. I know he was already working on a Masters degree.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:58 pm

mslacatfan wrote:

Oh wait sorry, I forgot... So pumped for you Omar! Always a bobcat! Gods plan! Pulling for you! Yay.
As a fan, I hate it too. But if I was 20 and really good at football I'd probably want to cash in on a 6 figure NIL offer myself. So I don't blame the players, I blame the system.

My biggest gripe is that the NIL rule isn't being followed for what it was intended for, and that includes most FCS schools including MSU. It was meant for individual players to be able to make money on their own name/image/likeness being used. Instead we have these collectives which just provide a wealth-sharing tool to pay all the players regardless of their individual name and image, thus, its created college free agency.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:00 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:58 pm
mslacatfan wrote:

As a fan, I hate it too. But if I was 20 and really good at football I'd probably want to cash in on a 6 figure NIL offer myself. So I don't blame the players, I blame the system.

My biggest gripe is that the NIL rule isn't being followed for what it was intended for, and that includes most FCS schools including MSU. It was meant for individual players to be able to make money on their own name/image/likeness being used. Instead we have these collectives which just provide a wealth-sharing tool to pay all the players regardless of their individual name and image, thus, its created college free agency.
Just another thing to think about when everyone wants to move up to FBS. Gotta build up a huge NIL bank account if you want to compete.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:04 pm

where do you think? Nevada, Cal, UCLA or the SEC?

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:05 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:04 pm
where do you think? Nevada, Cal, UCLA or the SEC?
A Texas school

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:06 pm

mslacatfan wrote:

Omar transferred here. As did Chambers, McCullouch, Alexander, Clevan…

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:07 pm

We’ve lost two OL to P5 schools and not skipped a beat. Omar is a good player, and I’m just not worried about him leaving either.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:08 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:51 pm
mslacatfan wrote:

Would you leave your current job for a $100K bonus?
That poster could simply contact the Collective and personally donate the money to outbid whatever NIL contract Omar will receive from his new school or pay the NIL money for an equal replacement of a new player transferring in to the program.

Was he upset with Omar for transferring into Bozeman? I must have missed those posts.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:09 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:06 pm
mslacatfan wrote:

I don't believe Omar was a transfer. Pretty sure he came from the military academy prep school.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:10 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

OK but I learned from @iaafan on Saturday night that Sean was a “net drag” on the program so he doesn’t count as a positive for all.

What a ride

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:13 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:09 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

I don't believe Omar was a transfer. Pretty sure he came from the military academy prep school.
Committed to Army, had to go to their prep school because of grades. A weird situation where it both wasn’t, and was, a transfer.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:19 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:13 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:09 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

Committed to Army, had to go to their prep school because of grades. A weird situation where it both wasn’t, and was, a transfer.
It's also their way of redshirting some recruits.

JohnGotti
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by JohnGotti » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:41 pm

Another reason to go FBS. We will lose a lot of our top players every year. We are just a triple a farm team now. All these FBS schools will get the best FCS players. Get use to it or go FBS. Hate it but it’s the college athletics are today. It’s all about the money.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:45 pm

JohnGotti wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:41 pm
Another reason to go FBS. We will lose a lot of our top players every year. We are just a triple a farm team now. All these FBS schools will get the best FCS players. Get use to it or go FBS. Hate it but it’s the college athletics are today. It’s all about the money.
Are you under the assumption that many good players from G5 schools aren’t transferring to P4/5 programs?

What a ride

JohnGotti
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by JohnGotti » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:49 pm

Not at all. Just saying we will lose most of our best players to FBS.

BFcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BFcatfan » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:55 pm

PapaG wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:27 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:22 pm
Everyone should keep in mind All-Big Sky OG JT Reed should be ready to roll next year who was our presumed starter heading into this season. We also have Cole Sain returning for another year. We also have like three to four other kids ready to jump into the competition. If we lose three starters from this years team, we still have one of the best lines in the country. The talent pool is deep.
Unless there is a mass exodus, the online and RB positions have depth any FCS program should envy and the WR/TE groups have good top talent going into next season. It’s all about quarterback for me and Tommy’s timeline almost with a capable backup. I’m not expecting Chambers but there needs to be a contingency plan because of Mellott being injury-prone.
He’s injury prone because the amount of times he carries the rock per game. Pretty easy to fix that. Teams always want to tee off on QBs. Give the Defense something to think about and look at on a 3 and one instead of an empty set behind Tommy. Hellen Keller can read that play. The coaches have abused him in my opinion

With success comes attention, with attention comes cockiness, with cockiness comes arrogance, with arrogance comes rudeness...and they wonder why I hate the Griz ! FTG

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:56 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:07 pm
From what I've heard the past few weeks, this was expected regardless of how this season panned out. Omar has NFL aspirations and wants the FBS experience to prove it. Good luck to Omar!
So was he going to do this today even if the Cats were still playing? Or would he have entered the portal later?

Putting your name in while your team is still playing seems crazy to me but I guess here we are. 🤷🏻‍♂️

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:57 pm

JohnGotti wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:41 pm
Nothing would change. Heck, the starting QB for Oklahoma is transferring. Starting QB from Ohio State is transferring. Caleb Williams transferred last year.

You think the P5 schools don’t poach from the G5 schools? The portal giveth, and taketh. Just have to use it well.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:59 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:56 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:07 pm
From what I've heard the past few weeks, this was expected regardless of how this season panned out. Omar has NFL aspirations and wants the FBS experience to prove it. Good luck to Omar!
So was he going to do this today even if the Cats were still playing? Or would he have entered the portal later?

Putting your name in while your team is still playing seems crazy to me but I guess here we are. 🤷🏻‍♂️
In the Football Bowl Subdivision, a 30-day window to enter the transfer portal begins Dec. 4. There is also a spring window from April 15-30. It's worth noting that these windows restrict when an athlete's name can be entered into the portal, not when they actually transfer to a different school.
So its not only now but also that final 15 day window in April post spring ball.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."