Housewright cited for aggravated DUI

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

SparkCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Housewright cited for aggravated DUI

Post by SparkCat » Wed May 17, 2023 4:05 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 2:06 pm
SparkCat wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 9:28 am
CelticCat wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 8:35 am
justafan wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 7:38 am
aucat wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 10:30 pm
I have a Griz friend who is giving me holy hell over all of this.
can't blame them, I would do the same.....
CelticCat wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 10:41 pm
aucat wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 10:30 pm
I have a Griz friend who is giving me holy hell over all of this.
Yes, they are tattling to Leon, Vigen, and Waded on Twitter like the little brother they are.

That said, I mean what can we say, it’s a terrible look.
I don'y do twitter but what do you mean they are tattling? pretty sure everyone knows about it already....
Tagging them in Tweets.
Extremely immature fanbase over there. I highly doubt it is because they care about our coaches driving drunk, they just want to internally rock the boat to create more distractions for our athletes and the coaches that have made good decisions. So, just acting like a children.

They are a still begrudged, that they got their PP’s slapped over the Johnson cover up that led to a nice book written about their university.
I'd argue it's WAY more immature for grown men coaches to put their drinking and driving ahead of their fellow coaches and players. That is the issue. Not anonymous message board posters giving us ****** about it. It's just a terrible look.

If you don't think we'd have the exact same comments here if the shoe were on the other foot you're not paying attention to our rivalry.
What you said is extremely true and I could not agree more. However, I was addressing the topic to which I responded to.

I am a former coach for the Bobcats. I’m extremely embarrassed of Housewright and Mix’s actions. They let down our players, the fans, the community of Bozeman and the state. No excuses, I just need to make a jab and feed a troll here and there.

justafan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by justafan » Wed May 17, 2023 4:08 pm

here are the things that get our d/l suspended out of washington,https://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/suspensions.html

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed May 17, 2023 5:12 pm

MSU01 wrote: The car Mix is alleged to have been driving (or claimed to have been driving) is Housewright's courtesy car that was crashed. Mix wouldn't be in a high enough position as RB coach to have a courtesy car himself, so he'd be on his own in terms of transportation. I don't see how MSU would have any role in that.
Agreed. Please let me explain a little more what was on my mind. I was not thinking local, but more in terms of, say, in-state or nearby recruiting, with the assumption that the RB Coach would do some in-person player evaluation on his own. He needs to get to Sheridan, Wyoming, for a Friday night game, but has not been granted a courtesy car. He drives everywhere in his own assistant coach salary-appropriate vehicle that’s starting to show a few rust spots and some pretty worn-out upholstery.

He can drive his car to Sheridan (and get a mileage reimbursement) or his department can provide an MSU “pool” car, which these days means a rental from a contracted partner, of whom Enterprise is one. So he can get a shiny new mid-size SUV from Enterprise and look pretty sharp arriving in Sheridan, or drive his own and park down the street a few blocks. The use of the rental pool car includes insurance and a $1 million liability umbrella — but (per MSU) requires a valid driver’s license. (I don’t know if it’s always the case, but my personal vehicle insurance policy requires a valid operator’s permit from the same state that the vehicle is registered in and will be insured in.)

So, I still see it as at least a hindrance when a coach doesn’t have a valid license. That’s all that I was thinking.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed May 17, 2023 6:23 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 5:12 pm
MSU01 wrote: The car Mix is alleged to have been driving (or claimed to have been driving) is Housewright's courtesy car that was crashed. Mix wouldn't be in a high enough position as RB coach to have a courtesy car himself, so he'd be on his own in terms of transportation. I don't see how MSU would have any role in that.
Agreed. Please let me explain a little more what was on my mind. I was not thinking local, but more in terms of, say, in-state or nearby recruiting, with the assumption that the RB Coach would do some in-person player evaluation on his own. He needs to get to Sheridan, Wyoming, for a Friday night game, but has not been granted a courtesy car. He drives everywhere in his own assistant coach salary-appropriate vehicle that’s starting to show a few rust spots and some pretty worn-out upholstery.

He can drive his car to Sheridan (and get a mileage reimbursement) or his department can provide an MSU “pool” car, which these days means a rental from a contracted partner, of whom Enterprise is one. So he can get a shiny new mid-size SUV from Enterprise and look pretty sharp arriving in Sheridan, or drive his own and park down the street a few blocks. The use of the rental pool car includes insurance and a $1 million liability umbrella — but (per MSU) requires a valid driver’s license. (I don’t know if it’s always the case, but my personal vehicle insurance policy requires a valid operator’s permit from the same state that the vehicle is registered in and will be insured in.)

So, I still see it as at least a hindrance when a coach doesn’t have a valid license. That’s all that I was thinking.
Right. I'm pretty sure these guys do all drive MSU vehicles on official business, so Mix wouldn't necessarily have his "own" courtesy or MSU vehicle. Housewright either for that matter. I'm pretty sure I had to have a valid driver's license for every job I've ever had, and I've never been issued a company vehicle. Seems to me either his license was suspended since his hiring, or somebody forgot to check that--which seems unlikely. Even as a Class B high school coach, if I'm taking a scouting trip or driving to an event, I'm usually using a school vehicle. Some companies insist on either doing that or using a rental vehicle, because most commercial auto insurance policies don't automatically include liability coverage for non-owned vehicles (vehicles not owned by MSU but used for MSU business). So let's say a coach is driving his personal vehicle on MSU business and gets into an at-fault accident, but he has $50,000 liability limits on his personal policy. $50k doesn't go very far liability-wise, so the person they hit is going to go after MSU to collect the rest. I'm sure MSU has hired and non-owned auto liability coverage, but regardless--they'd prefer to have official business happening under their insurance policy. Same goes for any other company or organization with assets they want to protect (any business that wants to stay in business). I'd bet just about anything that having a valid driver's license was part of the requirements for getting the job.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Thu May 18, 2023 1:03 am

onceacat wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 9:29 pm
utucats wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 1:05 am
onceacat wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 10:05 am
utucats wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 8:35 am
This thread it a ****** show.

Housewright made a big mistake but it doesn’t have anything to do with MSU culture. People drink and not everyone does responsibly. I bet nearly everyone on this site has gotten away with driving under the influence. Let’s hold off on the judgment just because we never got caught.
I bet nobody on this thread has crashed an MSU issued vehicle & left the scene.
You are right, we are all far superior human beings.
Has nothing to do with being a better human. It has to do with the consequences of crashing an MSU issued truck & leaving the scene. THAT is 100% a fixable offense regardless of the DUI.

This isnt a moral judgement. Its a question of "Can this guy do the basic duties required by the job".

Leaving the scene of a crash is a crystal clear "No"...Same with Garza driving 60 down Main. The DUI charges are really a distraction.
Oh he’ll face consequences and if he loses his job then so be it. I’m just opposed to moral superiority from these cheap seats. Guy made a mistake and I won’t pretend that I couldn’t have easily made the same one.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu May 18, 2023 7:27 am

It probably doesn’t mean anything, but I’ve noticed Mix is out recruiting and getting mentioned on Twitter a lot by recruits/coaches, but I don’t see any of that same activity for Housewright.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu May 18, 2023 4:01 pm

Bozeman is the No. 4 city in the nation for DUIs.

https://www.dangerousroads.org/north-am ... dents.html

Montana is no. 3 nationally.

I wonder what percentage of coaches (nationally) who get a DUI, get fired? Has a MSU coach ever been fired for a DUI? Has a MUS coach ever been fired for a DUI?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

1984champ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984champ » Thu May 18, 2023 5:04 pm

For perspective legendary South Dakota State head football coach who won his first national championship in January also found himself in a ditch and was charged with DUI in 2018 at age of 61.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu May 18, 2023 6:21 pm

1984champ wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 5:04 pm
For perspective legendary South Dakota State head football coach who won his first national championship in January also found himself in a ditch and was charged with DUI in 2018 at age of 61.
Yeah, I'm having a hard time remembering a coach getting fired solely because of a DUI. Blaine Taylor was a head coach for UM way back in the 90s. He got a DUI per se and wasn't fired. Seems like most do get suspended though.

Drinking and driving is bad. Almost all wrecks/fatalities involve either drinking, bad roads, poor driving (speeding, running stop signs/lights) or night driving, or some combination of those four.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu May 18, 2023 7:16 pm

You’ll notice a different response to Garza’s DUI and Housewright’s Tom. Primarily because this one isn’t “just” a DUI. It was a DUI while driving a school vehicle, crashing a school vehicle, leaving the scene, and getting another member of the coaching staff (negatively) involved. This isn’t “just” a DUI.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu May 18, 2023 8:49 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 7:16 pm
You’ll notice a different response to Garza’s DUI and Housewright’s Tom. Primarily because this one isn’t “just” a DUI. It was a DUI while driving a school vehicle, crashing a school vehicle, leaving the scene, and getting another member of the coaching staff (negatively) involved. This isn’t “just” a DUI.
When I said solely I was thinking being a crappy coach as an extenuating circumstance. Bad coaches seem to get canned after doing something stupid.

I’m just trying to remember a coach getting fired over a DUI.

As for wrecking company equipment, there’s also a difference between equipment being checked out for official use and equipment that is a perk.

toM StUber

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri May 19, 2023 10:36 am

Well, Garza "resigned" at Wyoming after being suspended indefinitely. He also resigned at TCU after being suspended with pay.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri May 19, 2023 10:49 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 4:01 pm
Bozeman is the No. 4 city in the nation for DUIs.

https://www.dangerousroads.org/north-am ... dents.html

Montana is no. 3 nationally.

I wonder what percentage of coaches (nationally) who get a DUI, get fired? Has a MSU coach ever been fired for a DUI? Has a MUS coach ever been fired for a DUI?
UM Basketball had an assistant coach named Brian Marso who got two DUI’s while with the Griz. He resigned after the season, but not formally fired.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri May 19, 2023 4:10 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 7:16 pm
And WMG’s dui charge was his third…. So maybe the “seriousness” of these things are about a wash?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Sat May 20, 2023 5:31 pm

Maybe I missed it (I’m not on social’s anymore) - but the lack of an official statement from MSU bothers me. At minimum they should acknowledge it and probably suspend HW duties until further notice.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sat May 20, 2023 5:42 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 5:31 pm
Maybe I missed it (I’m not on social’s anymore) - but the lack of an official statement from MSU bothers me. At minimum they should acknowledge it and probably suspend HW duties until further notice.
From the original Flores article:

MSU released the following statement on Monday afternoon: "Coach Housewright promptly informed the university that he had been charged with a DUI and a courtesy car he was driving damaged on Friday. The university will follow its regular procedures for dealing with personnel matters and await the due-process of the court system. Due to employee privacy laws, the university does not comment on personnel matters."

While many will sharpen their pitchforks, the university will follow regular procedures.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

HookedOnGriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HookedOnGriz » Sat May 20, 2023 10:53 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 7:27 am
It probably doesn’t mean anything, but I’ve noticed Mix is out recruiting and getting mentioned on Twitter a lot by recruits/coaches, but I don’t see any of that same activity for Housewright.
Serious question, how is he out recruiting other states with an already suspended license and now these charges hanging over his head? Does he have a driver/chauffeur? Uber everywhere? That would get insanely expensive one would think.

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Sun May 21, 2023 9:16 am

coloradocat wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 5:42 pm
Common Cat wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 5:31 pm
From the original Flores article:

MSU released the following statement on Monday afternoon: "Coach Housewright promptly informed the university that he had been charged with a DUI and a courtesy car he was driving damaged on Friday. The university will follow its regular procedures for dealing with personnel matters and await the due-process of the court system. Due to employee privacy laws, the university does not comment on personnel matters."

While many will sharpen their pitchforks, the university will follow regular procedures.
Thanks for posting that.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun May 21, 2023 11:37 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
And those schools are in WA. Good chance for him to clear up his license. Or the BOR and MSU conspired with the state of WA to cover it all up.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun May 21, 2023 3:30 pm

HookedOnGriz wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 10:53 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Serious question, how is he out recruiting other states with an already suspended license and now these charges hanging over his head? Does he have a driver/chauffeur? Uber everywhere? That would get insanely expensive one would think.
Don’t know, don’t care. I have enough trust in the AD that they have these things figured out.