Housewright cited for aggravated DUI

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Re: Housewright cited for aggravated DUI

Post by tetoncat » Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:16 pm

HookedOnGriz wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:40 pm
tetoncat wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:50 am
HookedOnGriz wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:31 am
MT Logger wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:09 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:28 am
MT Logger wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:11 pm
PapaG wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:30 pm
Made the poor decision to visit the cesspool known as egris and by far the hottest topic is about MSU and as usual, that thread is full of the usual ignorance on the legal process in firing or suspending state employees from the same gang of idiots and snarks you’d expect. Absolute garbage message board with functionality and design that seems to be from 2011, at least on an iPhone.

https://egriz.com/grizboard/viewforum.php?f=1

https://egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?t=90915
I guess I'm a bit curious as to how this will play out as well. The fact is that someone chose to suspend Garza after his arrest for a third DUI...for one game, and then he's back coaching and recruiting. What was that "process" based off of? Some kind of protocol? Seems they really botched that and it's now going to create a sticky situation for how to deal with these other cases relative to each other, especially since they will po intentially get resolved at the same time.
What was "botched"? He was penalized and then everyone moved on. Is the team/school supposed to fire someone as soon as they are charged with a crime? Just because a similar event took place months later doesn't mean they handled Garza inappropriately.
Botched because it was his third DUI and he was let go at his last two jobs for the same thing. He missed one game after getting his third DUI. Does that sound normal to you? You would think his hiring would have been with the caveat that any alcohol related infraction and he's gone. At the very least, suspended until his court hearing. This isn't about football for me, it's about having standards.
Careful you’re making waaaaay too much sense over here. Cue the DUI apologists in 3…2….1

Not sure why it is so hard for some to understand the difference between accused and convicted. Not sure of the apologist you refer to versus those okay with waiting for the case to play out.
Please answer this…..why couldn’t the university or coaching staff immediately suspended these coaches (with pay for all care) indefinitely until the charges are resolved in a court of law. Why is that difficult? Why is there an issue with that? That would be the 100% NORMAL thing to do and how probably 99% of universities and employers handle these situations. By not doing that, MSU is giving them a slap on the wrist and publicly stating they don’t think this is a big deal. That’s insane to me! It’s Garza’s 3rd DUI and he has a past history of issues, yet a one game suspension and they have already signed him to new contract. That’s is an absolutely terrible look for the university and the MSU program. And now their hands are tied to do something different with your OC and RB coach.
Easy answer. Because they don't do that to all other workers in the University system. Add i the fact it takes 6-12 months to go thru the court system (how do replace the employee while out on suspension). Great stats, please show where you got the 100%normal and 99% if University figures on how it is handled. How is it a slap on wrist when final punishment is pending. Does that mean everyone charged for something but gets bail is only getting a slap on the wrist.

Sports is not bigger than life

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:23 pm

HookedOnGriz wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:15 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:53 pm
HookedOnGriz wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:42 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:20 pm
HookedOnGriz wrote:
MT Logger wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
MT Logger wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Made the poor decision to visit the cesspool known as egris and by far the hottest topic is about MSU and as usual, that thread is full of the usual ignorance on the legal process in firing or suspending state employees from the same gang of idiots and snarks you’d expect. Absolute garbage message board with functionality and design that seems to be from 2011, at least on an iPhone.

I guess I'm a bit curious as to how this will play out as well. The fact is that someone chose to suspend Garza after his arrest for a third DUI...for one game, and then he's back coaching and recruiting. What was that "process" based off of? Some kind of protocol? Seems they really botched that and it's now going to create a sticky situation for how to deal with these other cases relative to each other, especially since they will po intentially get resolved at the same time.
What was "botched"? He was penalized and then everyone moved on. Is the team/school supposed to fire someone as soon as they are charged with a crime? Just because a similar event took place months later doesn't mean they handled Garza inappropriately.
Botched because it was his third DUI and he was let go at his last two jobs for the same thing. He missed one game after getting his third DUI. Does that sound normal to you? You would think his hiring would have been with the caveat that any alcohol related infraction and he's gone. At the very least, suspended until his court hearing. This isn't about football for me, it's about having standards.
Careful you’re making waaaaay too much sense over here. Cue the DUI apologists in 3…2….1
WTF is wrong with you?
See my question above. Would love to hear your answer.
My OPINION which is all it is...

I think Garcia should have been fired as soon as it would be legal to do so. I feel the same way about Housewright even though I was really coming to like him and he's probably going to be a really good coach someday, but he blew it.

Now WTF is wrong with you?
Something is wrong with me for questioning how poorly MSU has handled this? For not wearing a tin hat and thinking the cops and tow truck drivers are out to get MSU coaches (stated here on this site which is pure gold)? For shaking my head at the idiots here who think that MSU would get sued if they suspended the coaches until the process plays out? GTFOOH.
Just about everyone in this thread is thinking about as a die-hard football fan. If you think about it that way, then you have a conversation like this.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

HookedOnGriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HookedOnGriz » Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:26 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:16 pm
HookedOnGriz wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
HookedOnGriz wrote:
MT Logger wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
MT Logger wrote:
PapaG wrote:

Not sure why it is so hard for some to understand the difference between accused and convicted. Not sure of the apologist you refer to versus those okay with waiting for the case to play out.
Please answer this…..why couldn’t the university or coaching staff immediately suspended these coaches (with pay for all care) indefinitely until the charges are resolved in a court of law. Why is that difficult? Why is there an issue with that? That would be the 100% NORMAL thing to do and how probably 99% of universities and employers handle these situations. By not doing that, MSU is giving them a slap on the wrist and publicly stating they don’t think this is a big deal. That’s insane to me! It’s Garza’s 3rd DUI and he has a past history of issues, yet a one game suspension and they have already signed him to new contract. That’s is an absolutely terrible look for the university and the MSU program. And now their hands are tied to do something different with your OC and RB coach.
Easy answer. Because they don't do that to all other workers in the University system. Add i the fact it takes 6-12 months to go thru the court system (how do replace the employee while out on suspension). Great stats, please show where you got the 100%normal and 99% if University figures on how it is handled. How is it a slap on wrist when final punishment is pending. Does that mean everyone charged for something but gets bail is only getting a slap on the wrist.
******, this wasn’t his first dui infraction and he came in with a ton of baggage. There had to be measures and safeguards in place for the university to handle any issues with him in a swift and stern matter. He wasn’t just “any other university employee” and he came in with a ****** ton more history than “any other university employee”. He was suspended for a 3 hour game. That is the definition of a slap on the wrist. And they have already resigned him….they were never concerned with how this would play out.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:41 pm

HookedOnGriz wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:26 pm
tetoncat wrote:
HookedOnGriz wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
HookedOnGriz wrote:
MT Logger wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
MT Logger wrote:
PapaG wrote:

******, this wasn’t his first dui infraction and he came in with a ton of baggage. There had to be measures and safeguards in place for the university to handle any issues with him in a swift and stern matter. He wasn’t just “any other university employee” and he came in with a ****** ton more history than “any other university employee”. He was suspended for a 3 hour game. That is the definition of a slap on the wrist. And they have already resigned him….they were never concerned with how this would play out.
Do you want UM to beat MSU? I assume you do. If this a bad look for MSU, then you should be hoping it continues…assuming you’re a diehard fan of UM.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:46 pm

HookedOnGriz wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
HookedOnGriz wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
HookedOnGriz wrote:
MT Logger wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
MT Logger wrote:
PapaG wrote:

WTF is wrong with you?

I think Garcia should have been fired as soon as it would be legal to do so. I feel the same way about Housewright even though I was really coming to like him and he's probably going to be a really good coach someday, but he blew it.

Something is wrong with me for questioning how poorly MSU has handled this? For not wearing a tin hat and thinking the cops and tow truck drivers are out to get MSU coaches (stated here on this site which is pure gold)? For shaking my head at the idiots here who think that MSU would get sued if they suspended the coaches until the process plays out? GTFOOH.
I cannot recall one single person making light of the subject or defending either coach. They messed up. You specifically cite a bunch of DUI apologists being outspoken here. I certainly can’t recall that. But then again, you are a known pathetic troll with no life but to “police” Bobcatnation. There is really something wrong with you.

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:12 pm

HookedOnGriz wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
HookedOnGriz wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
HookedOnGriz wrote:
MT Logger wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
MT Logger wrote:
PapaG wrote:

WTF is wrong with you?

People/companies do get sued for preemptively acting and not letting the process play out. Hell, UM was sued and had to pay a former player $245,000 because they decided to be judge/jury or did you forget about that because it doesn't fit your narrative? Not defending the behavior of the coaches, but there is a process for a reason, whether we like it or not.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:14 pm

HookedOnGriz wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:26 pm
tetoncat wrote:
HookedOnGriz wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
HookedOnGriz wrote:
MT Logger wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
MT Logger wrote:
PapaG wrote:

The fact is Hooked, we don't know anything about Coach Garza's terms of employment. We also do not know anything about any or all the actions that may have been taken, other than the one game Garza suspension, with both Housewright and Garza since the DUI's. MSU has said that they will not comment on employee issues and they have not. So, anything on here or on Egriz about this is pure speculation. They also said at that time that they would wait until due process is completed. It will be interesting to see what they do once it is completed. Myself, I do trust MSU is doing what they think is right based on past experiences and the law. Also, I do trust the court system to handle this correctly.

ECBobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by ECBobcat » Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:53 pm

HookedOnGriz wrote:
Please answer this…..why couldn’t the university or coaching staff immediately suspended these coaches (with pay for all care) indefinitely until the charges are resolved in a court of law. Why is that difficult?
Are Housewright’s and Garza’s employments with MSU governed by a written contract? If no, what law applies to the relationship? In light of the applicable law, how would you suggest the university proceed? If the employments are covered by a written contract, what are the terms of the contracts? What do the contracts say regarding the coaches’ outside-of-work behavior? Do the contracts include a specific provision related to criminal charges and/or convictions? And what about prior convictions? What are the university’s options when charges are leveled against a coach? How about after conviction? What do the contracts say about indefinite suspensions, both with and without pay?

Until the above questions (among others) are answered, your questions cannot be answered accurately. Things are never as simple as they seem. But here you are, sharing your wisdom.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:25 pm

Good job guys. You fell for it.

We're on page 17 of this thread because we keep having the same conversation, a couple times because griz fans showed up to stir it back up again. Why do so many feel the need to defend themselves and/or the team against people that aren't arguing in good faith? It doesn't even matter whether or not you believe any griz fans have valid opinions or not, they aren't worth discussing things with on BN.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:09 pm

HookedOnGriz wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
HookedOnGriz wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
HookedOnGriz wrote:
MT Logger wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
MT Logger wrote:
PapaG wrote:

WTF is wrong with you?

The only one posting the cops and tow truck drivers bit is a poster who's known to be off his rocker (or off his meds, dealer's choice). Using his posts as an example means you're grasping at straws. Please take your own advice and take your leave of BN.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:28 pm

ECBobcat wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:53 pm
HookedOnGriz wrote:
Please answer this…..why couldn’t the university or coaching staff immediately suspended these coaches (with pay for all care) indefinitely until the charges are resolved in a court of law. Why is that difficult?
Are Housewright’s and Garza’s employments with MSU governed by a written contract? If no, what law applies to the relationship? In light of the applicable law, how would you suggest the university proceed? If the employments are covered by a written contract, what are the terms of the contracts? What do the contracts say regarding the coaches’ outside-of-work behavior? Do the contracts include a specific provision related to criminal charges and/or convictions? And what about prior convictions? What are the university’s options when charges are leveled against a coach? How about after conviction? What do the contracts say about indefinite suspensions, both with and without pay?

Until the above questions (among others) are answered, your questions cannot be answered accurately. Things are never as simple as they seem. But here you are, sharing your wisdom.
I hate to be on Hooked's side here, but Housewright wasn't "outside of work". He crashed an MSU vehicle (i.e. he was on the clock) and left the scene.

Hooked is correct: This is open and shut & MSU is really screwing up here. And its not even close.

ECBobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by ECBobcat » Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:17 pm

onceacat wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:28 pm
ECBobcat wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:53 pm
HookedOnGriz wrote:

I hate to be on Hooked's side here, but Housewright wasn't "outside of work". He crashed an MSU vehicle (i.e. he was on the clock) and left the scene.

Hooked is correct: This is open and shut & MSU is really screwing up here. And its not even close.

Wrong on both accounts. Do you know what a courtesy vehicle is? Do you know how such a vehicle can be used? Do you really believe any time a coach is driving a courtesy vehicle, he or she is on the clock? And do you believe an employment contract and its relevant provisions should be disregarded in either coach’s situation? If there is no contract (doubtful), do you know for what reasons MSU can take adverse action against an employee without violating the WDEA? Unreal.
Last edited by ECBobcat on Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:33 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:25 pm
Good job guys. You fell for it.

We're on page 17 of this thread because we keep having the same conversation, a couple times because griz fans showed up to stir it back up again. Why do so many feel the need to defend themselves and/or the team against people that aren't arguing in good faith? It doesn't even matter whether or not you believe any griz fans have valid opinions or not, they aren't worth discussing things with on BN.

And yet you also comment #-o

MT Logger
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by MT Logger » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:11 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:00 pm
MT Logger wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
MT Logger wrote:
PapaG wrote:

What two jobs was Garza let go after a DUI? Was he ever convicted of a DUI in Bozeman?

It's rare that a coach of any sport is fired after getting a DUI. I can't think of a coach in the Montana University System that was ever fired for that.
Some, I assume, are told to resign or they'll be fired. I think that was the case for Garza at Wyoming.

Good for you having standards. I have a hard time establishing any on this subject.

Getting a DUI has a lot of penalties associated with it. I myself am not sure where to draw the line on the penalty.

It's such a tough topic (DUI penalties) to have a concrete position on. So many people drink and drive. Some never get caught despite doing it all the time. Some get caught the first time they do it. Some end up killing other people and themselves doing it. What's a fair punishment? Fines, jail time, insurance rate increases are all currently out there.

What does a DUI currently cost?

Seems like all sports are associated with drinking. Tailgating isn't just food and soft drinks. The bars make bank on sports. Even evangelical coaches drink (and get DUIs).

I just think that there's no way around coaches drinking and given that they're going to get DUIs. I don't really care if a school fires a coach for a DUI or not, simply because the new person they hire is probably going to drink and drive, too. Or someone on the staff is going to drink and drive.

There are driving jobs within the transportation industry that don't allow drivers to be fired for a DUI. Some don't even get fired for failing drug tests.
Yes, Wyoming sent him packing, and he was also forced to resign at TCU after getting arrested for DUI and leaving the scene of an accident. so again, I'm not sure why he wasn't suspended until trial while at MSU or why he was hired here in the first place. "The new coach is probably going to drink and drive too," i don't know what to say to that. They are well aware they can lose their job of they are arrested so it's on them to make smart decisions.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:19 am

MT Logger wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:11 am
TomCat88 wrote:
MT Logger wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
MT Logger wrote:
PapaG wrote:

What two jobs was Garza let go after a DUI? Was he ever convicted of a DUI in Bozeman?

It's rare that a coach of any sport is fired after getting a DUI. I can't think of a coach in the Montana University System that was ever fired for that.
Some, I assume, are told to resign or they'll be fired. I think that was the case for Garza at Wyoming.

Good for you having standards. I have a hard time establishing any on this subject.

Getting a DUI has a lot of penalties associated with it. I myself am not sure where to draw the line on the penalty.

It's such a tough topic (DUI penalties) to have a concrete position on. So many people drink and drive. Some never get caught despite doing it all the time. Some get caught the first time they do it. Some end up killing other people and themselves doing it. What's a fair punishment? Fines, jail time, insurance rate increases are all currently out there.

Seems like all sports are associated with drinking. Tailgating isn't just food and soft drinks. The bars make bank on sports. Even evangelical coaches drink (and get DUIs).

I just think that there's no way around coaches drinking and given that they're going to get DUIs. I don't really care if a school fires a coach for a DUI or not, simply because the new person they hire is probably going to drink and drive, too. Or someone on the staff is going to drink and drive.

There are driving jobs within the transportation industry that don't allow drivers to be fired for a DUI. Some don't even get fired for failing drug tests.
Yes, Wyoming sent him packing, and he was also forced to resign at TCU after getting arrested for DUI and leaving the scene of an accident. so again, I'm not sure why he wasn't suspended until trial while at MSU or why he was hired here in the first place. "The new coach is probably going to drink and drive too," i don't know what to say to that. They are well aware they can lose their job of they are arrested so it's on them to make smart decisions.
While this seems very clean for termination to you, none of us are privy to the actual facts of the case. There may be some extenuating circumstances we are not aware of. In todays legal environment, you have to be very careful with any type of termination or suspension unless there is a formal admission of guilt. I can understand waiting for a legal outcome before taking action to terminate. For all we know, MSU might have professional liability insurance coverage where the insurance company has advised to wait for the legal process to come to a conclusion.

On the other hand though, if Garza had an annual deal, he should not have been renewed for the upcoming year. I don’t like the optics. I am not sure though if he had a multi year deal where no renewal was necessary.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:21 am

When are the contracts renewed? Is it July 1 to June 30. Or earlier in year.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:46 am

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:19 am
MT Logger wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
MT Logger wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
MT Logger wrote:
PapaG wrote:

While this seems very clean for termination to you, none of us are privy to the actual facts of the case. There may be some extenuating circumstances we are not aware of. In todays legal environment, you have to be very careful with any type of termination or suspension unless there is a formal admission of guilt. I can understand waiting for a legal outcome before taking action to terminate. For all we know, MSU might have professional liability insurance coverage where the insurance company has advised to wait for the legal process to come to a conclusion.

On the other hand though, if Garza had an annual deal, he should not have been renewed for the upcoming year. I don’t like the optics. I am not sure though if he had a multi year deal where no renewal was necessary.
I agree with all that.

The threat of termination does serve as a deterrent, but I think that threat already exists and therefore I'm not so sure that the actual termination of an employee actually goes very fare in solving the problem.

I think almost every person that gets a DUI thinks they won't get caught. Probably because they've gotten away with it so many times. The odds are so small that they take the risk.

I think if you fire someone, then it's pretty likely that you're going to hire a new person that is also going to drink and drive. And since that person hasn't already had a DUI, they're probably more likely to get one than a person that's already had one. Not saying you should hire people with prior DUIs.

I'm not sure how bad the optics are. Perhaps in a close circle, but I just don't think assistant coaches getting DUIs is a real big news. Maybe in the NFL or at an upper level FBS school. It's definitely something for a fan base to give another fan base crap about. I haven't had anyone say anything to me about it and I haven't overheard anyone talking about it.

But don't get me wrong...drinking and driving is bad. I just don't know how much the additional punishment of being fired adds to deterring it. Seems like we're herding cats.

toM StUber

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:47 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:19 am
MT Logger wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
MT Logger wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
MT Logger wrote:
PapaG wrote:

Good post. I guess this is DUI apologists Hooked is looking for :roll:

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:53 pm

HookedOnGriz wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
HookedOnGriz wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
HookedOnGriz wrote:
MT Logger wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
MT Logger wrote:
PapaG wrote:

WTF is wrong with you?

Something is wrong with you because you butt into the conversation and write: "Careful you’re making waaaaay too much sense over here. Cue the DUI apologists in 3…2….1". WHY? WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU. None of us know what is going behind the scenes, we're all speculating, but in the end we're just fans. You just pop in to be a douche, about drinking and driving. Really? You got some deep seeded issues dude, hope you make it out of your mom's basement someday and can pry yourself away from bobcatnation.com.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:24 pm

To answer some questions.

There have been a lot of questions about contracts, specifically for coaches, who do indeed sign written contracts. MSU coaches’ contracts are actually with the Board of Regents of the Montana University System, administered through the authority granted to the Commissioner of Higher Education. What may and may not be done administratively is determined by those entities, not Montana State University. Just so you don’t think I’m off the rails, here is the statement from the Personnel section of the Regents’ Manual.
MUS Policies and Procedures wrote:The Board of Regents, pursuant to its constitutional authority to supervise and manage the Montana University System (MUS), hereby delegates to the Commissioner of Higher Education the authority to approve employment contracts offered to contract professional personnel, contract administrative personnel and athletic coaches.
I could quote a lot more, but all the rules are laid out in the Policies and Procedures Manual for Employee Contracts (Non-faculty).

https://mus.edu/borpol/bor700/index.html

Enjoy. 😺