New Video Board out to bid

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: New Video Board out to bid

Post by St George » Mon May 08, 2023 1:09 pm

I graduated from MSU in 1980, a lot has changed. With that said if there is still a Film and TV department at MSU Start a class for sports filming and put the old video board in the new and upcoming indoor practice building.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Mon May 08, 2023 1:54 pm

We asked about the old board potentially being reused in some fashion as suggestion here have said in a recent meeting. From what we were told the old board is (not quite literally, but not far off of) being held together and kept running with bailing twine and duct tape. The feeling was it would not be able to be reused for anything else. For those that attended games last season you can probably remember several games where parts of the screen didn't work properly and parts of the scoreboard (scores, time, etc.) didn't completely work. Note we have the super cool permanent "Visitors" on the scoreboard cause they can't set the away team name anymore. Sounds like it is time to put it out to pasture.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon May 08, 2023 2:11 pm

kmax wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 1:54 pm
We asked about the old board potentially being reused in some fashion as suggestion here have said in a recent meeting. From what we were told the old board is (not quite literally, but not far off of) being held together and kept running with bailing twine and duct tape. The feeling was it would not be able to be reused for anything else. For those that attended games last season you can probably remember several games where parts of the screen didn't work properly and parts of the scoreboard (scores, time, etc.) didn't completely work. Note we have the super cool permanent "Visitors" on the scoreboard cause they can't set the away team name anymore. Sounds like it is time to put it out to pasture.
Was the bailing twine and duct tape applied by the ag and engineering students? If so, I'm sure it's got plenty of good years left.

Will the new board be set to "Visitors" for the last home game of the regular season every other year?

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Mon May 08, 2023 3:16 pm

Damn well better be!

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon May 08, 2023 5:57 pm

kmax wrote:
This made me think of how far technology has come. I had a “gigantic” 55 inch big screen about 15 years ago. That thing took 2 or 3 people to move. A 55” LED can be handled by one person today. And the new units today also consume a lot less electricity.

damnyoutuesday
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by damnyoutuesday » Mon May 08, 2023 6:18 pm

kmax wrote:
For those that attended games last season you can probably remember several games where parts of the screen didn't work properly and parts of the scoreboard (scores, time, etc.) didn't completely work. Note we have the super cool permanent "Visitors" on the scoreboard cause they can't set the away team name anymore. Sounds like it is time to put it out to pasture.
Do we know if the scoreboard above the south endzone is also being put out to pasture? Or will that be kept as is?

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon May 08, 2023 6:23 pm

damnyoutuesday wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 6:18 pm
kmax wrote:
For those that attended games last season you can probably remember several games where parts of the screen didn't work properly and parts of the scoreboard (scores, time, etc.) didn't completely work. Note we have the super cool permanent "Visitors" on the scoreboard cause they can't set the away team name anymore. Sounds like it is time to put it out to pasture.
Do we know if the scoreboard above the south endzone is also being put out to pasture? Or will that be kept as is?
That scoreboard is really basic and seems to work just fine for what it’s supposed to do.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

ringthebells
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by ringthebells » Mon May 08, 2023 8:14 pm

The Daktronics scoreboard at SDSU is 31' x 100' of digital space. At the time it was built, around 2015, it was the biggest in FCS. The digital screen is surrounded by advertising and some other sound and compartments of some sort. Google it, it is huge. You'll love what you are getting. The article I linked is more about Daktronics being a Brookings company than anything, but it does have a picture and a brief description.
https://state.sdstateconnect.org/many-j ... coreboard/

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue May 09, 2023 9:56 am

damnyoutuesday wrote:
kmax wrote:
Don't hold me to this but I think I remember it being said that a replacement for that was included with the new board so they can more easily be connected to the same control system/software. But again, that could be a me just remembering discussions as I think I want them to be.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue May 09, 2023 10:06 am

kmax wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 9:56 am
damnyoutuesday wrote:
kmax wrote:
Don't hold me to this but I think I remember it being said that a replacement for that was included with the new board so they can more easily be connected to the same control system/software. But again, that could be a me just remembering discussions as I think I want them to be.
That's a good point. Both boards have to run off the same controls, because teams might be looking at that clock in time-critical situations and it's really important that clock matches up EXACTLY with the big board. Not to mention MSU doesn't want to pay another person just to run that clock, plus give up a valuable spot in the booth on game days to have an additional scoreboard operator. It would be unfortunate if that forced MSU to purchase another board just to make it compatible, especially if it's already a Daktronics board.

St George

Post by St George » Tue May 09, 2023 12:59 pm

chadtothebone wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 4:57 pm
RobertCats wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 9:37 am
I'll admit, I'm not very savvy with the construction industry and timelines. This seems like a fairly small project, would this be completed in time for the 2023 season?
Being in construction wholesale and distribution as well as 30 years in construction, if they have not started by now there is little chance it will be done by the start of the season
Any delay would be in the building and shipment of the video board itself. The steel should be readily available. I have had a crew of 3 set 8 helical piers inside a factory in a single day. Concrete and rebar are readily available. Electrical should be just an upgrade of the existing, but could be an issue not knowing if it is fed with fiberoptics or hardwired. The biggest problem I see is this is a relatively small job and large contractors wont bother bidding, I hope I am wrong on this portion.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue May 09, 2023 1:03 pm

St George wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 12:59 pm
chadtothebone wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
I'll admit, I'm not very savvy with the construction industry and timelines. This seems like a fairly small project, would this be completed in time for the 2023 season?
Being in construction wholesale and distribution as well as 30 years in construction, if they have not started by now there is little chance it will be done by the start of the season
Any delay would be in the building and shipment of the video board itself. The steel should be readily available. I have had a crew of 3 set 8 helical piers inside a factory in a single day. Concrete and rebar are readily available. Electrical should be just an upgrade of the existing, but could be an issue not knowing if it is fed with fiberoptics or hardwired. The biggest problem I see is this is a relatively small job and large contractors wont bother bidding, I hope I am wrong on this portion.
That concerns me too. But I'm hopeful that one or more contractors will see this as a high-enough profile job that they'll want their name on it, even if it's not a big money project. Not sure if that's a motivation for them or not. But MSU is a nice revenue stream for the Dick Andersons, Martels and Swanks of the world, so maybe you want to be in their good graces.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue May 09, 2023 1:36 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 1:03 pm
St George wrote:
chadtothebone wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
That concerns me too. But I'm hopeful that one or more contractors will see this as a high-enough profile job that they'll want their name on it, even if it's not a big money project. Not sure if that's a motivation for them or not. But MSU is a nice revenue stream for the Dick Andersons, Martels and Swanks of the world, so maybe you want to be in their good graces.
Yup, MSU is probably near the top on priority for construction projects in the area. Lots of money being pumped into the university over the past decade and even more to come. Reminds me when I had an electrician come out to one of my properties a while back. He bailed on me after an hour to go work on a higher profile job and I had to wait a day for him to come back.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Tue May 09, 2023 3:49 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
St George wrote:
chadtothebone wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
It's for this reason that there will plenty of motivated bidders on this.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

St George

Post by St George » Tue May 09, 2023 7:05 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
St George wrote:
chadtothebone wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
Maybe put Sletton on that list too.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Tue May 09, 2023 8:44 pm

St George wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 7:05 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
St George wrote:
chadtothebone wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
I think of big civil construction with Sletton. Like setting big objects on pilings...kinda like this project. Good addition.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Cats92
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Cats92 » Tue May 09, 2023 9:30 pm

rivercat wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 8:44 pm
St George wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
St George wrote:
chadtothebone wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
I think of big civil construction with Sletton. Like setting big objects on pilings...kinda like this project. Good addition.
I’m an electrician by trade and one of my cousins owns a crane outfit in the valley. Blue-collar cat fans are not hard to come by. I’m thinking we put our own rag tag team together and get this thing done before Gold Rush.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue May 09, 2023 11:49 pm

Cats92 wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 9:30 pm
rivercat wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 8:44 pm
St George wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
St George wrote:
chadtothebone wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
I’m an electrician by trade and one of my cousins owns a crane outfit in the valley. Blue-collar cat fans are not hard to come by. I’m thinking we put our own rag tag team together and get this thing done before Gold Rush.
I have a ladder and a hole punch. Let’s go!

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Wed May 10, 2023 1:20 am

coloradocat wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 2:11 pm
kmax wrote:
Was the bailing twine and duct tape applied by the ag and engineering students? If so, I'm sure it's got plenty of good years left.

Will the new board be set to "Visitors" for the last home game of the regular season every other year?

We should just leave it blank. Not even worth wasting letters on them.

Punters are people too!!

St George

Post by St George » Wed May 10, 2023 7:24 am

I am in the gray hard hat supervising the testing of a helical pier.

https://www.foundationrepairidaho.com/f ... ey-id.html