Noah Smith in portal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Re: Noah Smith in portal

Post by tetoncat » Sun May 14, 2023 6:27 pm

ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 5:10 pm
Hate to see it, but I understand. I was a Noah fan and thought he could develop into a contributor. However, the new model is in place (bring in FBS guys and make them automatic starters) and it’s what MSU will continue to do year after year IMO. Why not, its worked, right!

I said it a few months back that there would be more leaving the WR room and its happened…There will be more to come as well. I don’t like it, but I understand it. Its easier on coaches and over staff.

Or and hopefully you will at least consider this: young receivers get an opportunity in the fall and spring, sometimes two falls. With double repping there is more opportunity than ever. If they haven't improved to show they are ready to be top 2 or 3 at their position should we be weak at that spot or bring someone in who can contribute. They must be good blockers, route runners, and catch the ball. Sometimes talented kids don't do the things that fit them into the offense.

I am not sure any of the transfers who came in last year were guaranteed starters. If they didn't perform they wouldn't play. Taco showed there was playing time for the right talent.

Sports is not bigger than life

ThoughtUKnew14
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ThoughtUKnew14 » Sun May 14, 2023 7:55 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 6:27 pm
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
Hate to see it, but I understand. I was a Noah fan and thought he could develop into a contributor. However, the new model is in place (bring in FBS guys and make them automatic starters) and it’s what MSU will continue to do year after year IMO. Why not, its worked, right!

I said it a few months back that there would be more leaving the WR room and its happened…There will be more to come as well. I don’t like it, but I understand it. Its easier on coaches and over staff.

Or and hopefully you will at least consider this: young receivers get an opportunity in the fall and spring, sometimes two falls. With double repping there is more opportunity than ever. If they haven't improved to show they are ready to be top 2 or 3 at their position should we be weak at that spot or bring someone in who can contribute. They must be good blockers, route runners, and catch the ball. Sometimes talented kids don't do the things that fit them into the offense.

I am not sure any of the transfers who came in last year were guaranteed starters. If they didn't perform they wouldn't play. Taco showed there was playing time for the right talent.
I’ll consider it as long as you’ll ponder why the WR room has the highest turnover?!

If I’m not mistaken the WR position has had more transfers since the portal was created, correct? So is it bad evaluation at the HS level, inability to develop or simple fact the we are generally at the bottom of Big Sky in passing and can’t attract top talent making it easier to pull from portal?

Taco filled a void that was desperately needed (punt returner). Im a huge fan of Taco and believe he would have outperformed CT if given the chance.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun May 14, 2023 8:28 pm

ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 7:55 pm
tetoncat wrote:
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:

I’ll consider it as long as you’ll ponder why the WR room has the highest turnover?!

If I’m not mistaken the WR position has had more transfers since the portal was created, correct? So is it bad evaluation at the HS level, inability to develop or simple fact the we are generally at the bottom of Big Sky in passing and can’t attract top talent making it easier to pull from portal?

Taco filled a void that was desperately needed (punt returner). Im a huge fan of Taco and believe he would have outperformed CT if given the chance.
Seriously? I hope to hell you're nowhere near high school coaching.

ThoughtUKnew14

Post by ThoughtUKnew14 » Sun May 14, 2023 8:33 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 8:28 pm
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:

Seriously? I hope to hell you're nowhere near high school coaching.
Was it that Taco comment that got you?

All the rest of my post were questions.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun May 14, 2023 9:03 pm

ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:

I will bet that wide receivers have the highest turnover of any position in college football. I am not sure why and can only guess it is the “Randy Moss - Keyshawn Johnson - Ocho Cinco - Odell Beckham” syndrome. The WR position always seems filled with big characters, attitudes and an inflated sense of value. MSU though seems to have had a lot of selfless guys see success at the position like Kassis, McCutcheon, Herbert and Bleskin.

ThoughtUKnew14

Post by ThoughtUKnew14 » Sun May 14, 2023 10:33 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 9:03 pm
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:

I will bet that wide receivers have the highest turnover of any position in college football. I am not sure why and can only guess it is the “Randy Moss - Keyshawn Johnson - Ocho Cinco - Odell Beckham” syndrome. The WR position always seems filled with big characters, attitudes and an inflated sense of value. MSU though seems to have had a lot of selfless guys see success at the position like Kassis, McCutcheon, Herbert and Bleskin.
Very fair assessment. Also, spot on regarding the players (pre portal days) you listed.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun May 14, 2023 10:37 pm

Who? Good luck.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun May 14, 2023 10:49 pm

PapaG wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 10:37 pm
Who? Good luck.
Classy as always Greg.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Mon May 15, 2023 7:37 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 10:49 pm
PapaG wrote:
Who? Good luck.
Classy as always Greg.
It's a valid question. I don't remember the name, either, and most of us regular posters are far from "casual" fans... WR always seems to be a logjam, and as was brought up already, there is a far great propensity for prima donna behavior from WR's that basically any other position in football.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon May 15, 2023 9:14 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 10:49 pm
PapaG wrote:
Who? Good luck.
Classy as always Greg.
I said good luck. Hope he lands somewhere he can play. He obviously doesn’t want to be at MSU so … good luck. Don’t know who he is and don’t know why it’s a big deal he’s leaving. You lecturing anyone about class is hilarious, though.

Not everything should be perceived as an insult. Much worse things were said about him in this thread about questioning his loyalty, but I said nothing bad. His loyalty should be based on what’s best for his future IMO.

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon May 15, 2023 9:36 am

The old transfer rules were arcane and punished student-athletes. I love the portal and it should have been the rule decades ago. I also saw a post in here about needing to graduate. Well, Dakota Prukop graduated and transferred and that was one of the more heated threads in board history with posters questioning his integrity. He fulfilled his academic career at MSU, his OC and HC got fired, and he moved to FBS and got blasted for it by many posters.

What a ride

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Tue May 16, 2023 9:35 pm

ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 10:33 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 9:03 pm
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:

Very fair assessment. Also, spot on regarding the players (pre portal days) you listed.
In particular, at a place like MSU (t least the last 8 or so years) where a WRs primary job is blocking & secondary job is catching passes. Takes a lot of maturity for a WR to move into that role.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Wed May 17, 2023 8:28 am

ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:

The only FBS starters I even remember over the last couple years are Thomas and Jonsen. McCutcheon/Kassis/Patterson were all in house guys that worked their way up.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

ThoughtUKnew14

Post by ThoughtUKnew14 » Wed May 17, 2023 11:15 pm

technoCat wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 8:28 am
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:

The only FBS starters I even remember over the last couple years are Thomas and Jonsen. McCutcheon/Kassis/Patterson were all in house guys that worked their way up.
CT and Ravi started last year and 2 transfers from this Spring will start this year (assuming they are healthy).

My comment is only referring to the last two years…post portal creation. The new MO has been established. Thats all I’m saying. It’s working and they won’t go away from it anytime soon. Hence the reason, we will see more Freshman/Sophomores leave that room. Some who are good and ready to contribute NOW. The days of grooming a WR from start to end is over IMO.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Thu May 18, 2023 8:17 am

ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 11:15 pm
technoCat wrote:
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:

CT and Ravi started last year and 2 transfers from this Spring will start this year (assuming they are healthy).

My comment is only referring to the last two years…post portal creation. The new MO has been established. Thats all I’m saying. It’s working and they won’t go away from it anytime soon. Hence the reason, we will see more Freshman/Sophomores leave that room. Some who are good and ready to contribute NOW. The days of grooming a WR from start to end is over IMO.
I didn't count Ravi because he was d3.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu May 18, 2023 8:43 am

Days of developing a WR from start to finish is over?

That’s overreactive gobbledygook.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu May 18, 2023 8:53 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 8:43 am

Christian Anaya is going to get starter reps often in the fall as a redshirt freshman. Noah Smith is likely transferring...because a PWO redshirt freshman in Zachary Dodson Green outplayed him this spring. Taco Dowler is one of our starting WRs. Would I have preferred as a fan to see Noah continue to compete and develop? Of course but you have to earn your spot and the narrative at FBS transfers are just given their spot is bogus as well. They come in, they compete, they win reps, and earn playing time just like all the other WRs.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

ThoughtUKnew14

Post by ThoughtUKnew14 » Thu May 18, 2023 9:08 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:

I’ll keep your statement as a receipt and I’ll keep tracking facts on my spreadsheet. Hard to argue facts. But let’s definitely revisit this.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu May 18, 2023 9:42 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 8:53 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

Christian Anaya is going to get starter reps often in the fall as a redshirt freshman. Noah Smith is likely transferring...because a PWO redshirt freshman in Zachary Dodson Green outplayed him this spring. Taco Dowler is one of our starting WRs. Would I have preferred as a fan to see Noah continue to compete and develop? Of course but you have to earn your spot and the narrative at FBS transfers are just given their spot is bogus as well. They come in, they compete, they win reps, and earn playing time just like all the other WRs.
Forgot Aidan Garrigan who is on the two-deep going into his sophomore season this fall. Another recruit who is being developed and will be in the rotation. So there's 4 so far.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu May 18, 2023 10:19 am

technoCat wrote:
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:

Travis didn’t play wide receiver until he got to MSU. I don’t believe he ever started a game at Oregon as a QB.
Last edited by AFCAT on Thu May 18, 2023 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter