Noah Smith in portal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Noah Smith in portal

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Thu May 04, 2023 9:51 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 8:40 pm
I know this might be shocking, but players did in fact transfer before the transfer portal was a thing.
The transfer rules were way better pre portal. You transfer down=play right away. Transfer up=sit out a year. Transfer unilaterally=sit out a year. If for one second anybody thinks what’s going on right now is good, they have their head up their own ass. Don’t compare it to coaches leaving for higher pay, because that’s how it works. You go to a school to work for a boss and guess what, the boss makes the rules. That’s how it should be and the cupcake, “oh players should be able to do what they want to crowd”, are the ones who have never ran a business or company.

If your left, you aren’t right.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu May 04, 2023 10:06 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 9:51 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
I know this might be shocking, but players did in fact transfer before the transfer portal was a thing.
The transfer rules were way better pre portal. You transfer down=play right away. Transfer up=sit out a year. Transfer unilaterally=sit out a year. If for one second anybody thinks what’s going on right now is good, they have their head up their own ass. Don’t compare it to coaches leaving for higher pay, because that’s how it works. You go to a school to work for a boss and guess what, the boss makes the rules. That’s how it should be and the cupcake, “oh players should be able to do what they want to crowd”, are the ones who have never ran a business or company.
Some of it is bad, some of it is good.

The irony to your post is that the transferring can happen because “that’s how it works.”

When employees are underpaid, or are able to take a job where there is more recognized benefit, they do so. Student athletes should have that same right. Is some of it abused? Certainly! But I can’t say I have a problem with people leaving to better themselves. And yes, I’m actively involved in running a business. Anyways, good luck to Noah Smith, hope he does great wherever he goes.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu May 04, 2023 10:11 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 8:39 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 3:51 pm
Yes, I get it that he is not in the 2 deep…. So it makes sense.

But what happened to the days of working harder, continuing to develop in the program, and eventually earn a spot. Which by the way can still work out VERY well for players (Hardy is a great example).

I don’t know, in a lot of ways the transfer portal is ruining college athletics for me. Especially basketball, what a joke.
So I’m assuming you were mad when Sterk, Clevan Thomas, Ty McCullouch, Junior Alexander, and countless others transferred in, right? I mean, how dare they not stay and work to earn a spot?!
Okay, it’s getting a little strange when you lose (some of) your best players to transfer and you gain (some of) your best players from transfer. I do think it won’t slow down until a reasonable system of compensation is put into place. If UCLA takes Glessner, then they have to give us another player of equal value. The pro leagues, recognizing that they are selling teams + stars, have at least worked this out to keep teams from being gutted overnight by a free-agent exodus. They don’t have captive students to exact a tax from. As much as I’m looking forward to seeing the new 6-man Bobcats with 4 coaches (hey athletes, we have a 3:2 athlete to coach ratio!) I would have been more hyped to see Osobor and Battle. Expect an attendance decrease.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu May 04, 2023 10:35 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
In hindsight that was a weird rule. Want to drop down and theoretically make life easier for yourself? No penalty. Want to challenge yourself by moving up a division? F you, you lose a year of eligibility.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu May 04, 2023 10:45 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 10:11 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

But what happened to the days of working harder, continuing to develop in the program, and eventually earn a spot. Which by the way can still work out VERY well for players (Hardy is a great example).

I don’t know, in a lot of ways the transfer portal is ruining college athletics for me. Especially basketball, what a joke.
So I’m assuming you were mad when Sterk, Clevan Thomas, Ty McCullouch, Junior Alexander, and countless others transferred in, right? I mean, how dare they not stay and work to earn a spot?!
Okay, it’s getting a little strange when you lose (some of) your best players to transfer and you gain (some of) your best players from transfer. I do think it won’t slow down until a reasonable system of compensation is put into place. If UCLA takes Glessner, then they have to give us another player of equal value. The pro leagues, recognizing that they are selling teams + stars, have at least worked this out to keep teams from being gutted overnight by a free-agent exodus. They don’t have captive students to exact a tax from. As much as I’m looking forward to seeing the new 6-man Bobcats with 4 coaches (hey athletes, we have a 3:2 athlete to coach ratio!) I would have been more hyped to see Osobor and Battle. Expect an attendance decrease.
So, the schools will have to tell a student-athlete that he is being traded to Montana State. Doesn’t matter what the guy is studying or if he wants to move, just go to MSU and figure it out. Certainly an interesting take.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu May 04, 2023 10:56 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Most scholarship players only sign one year contracts. This new system just makes it easier to move on after that contract is up.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Thu May 04, 2023 10:59 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 10:35 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
In hindsight that was a weird rule. Want to drop down and theoretically make life easier for yourself? No penalty. Want to challenge yourself by moving up a division? F you, you lose a year of eligibility.
I think it was set up that way so that D2 and FCS wouldn't be the minor leagues continually feeding their best players up to the FBS. And if a player in the FBS knew they weren't going to see much playing time, it allowed them to drop down to a level more commensurate with the skill and ability.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri May 05, 2023 7:30 am

AFCAT wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 10:45 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

So, the schools will have to tell a student-athlete that he is being traded to Montana State. Doesn’t matter what the guy is studying or if he wants to move, just go to MSU and figure it out. Certainly an interesting take.
To play devils advocate: The argument from the players side is that they are employees, essentially professionals, not students. The justification for the transfer portal, and NIL, has never had anything to do with academics. It's about being able to control where your services are provided under your terms. What difference does academics make?

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri May 05, 2023 8:08 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
:lol:
This had me laughing. I appreciate your posts, but man do we disagree on this one.

Ironically I currently own four of my own business, was a college athlete, and don't consider myself part of any "cupcake crowd".

Just love seeing players having the same control over their education and futures as every other student at the university.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri May 05, 2023 8:27 am

coloradocat wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 7:30 am
AFCAT wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

To play devils advocate: The argument from the players side is that they are employees, essentially professionals, not students. The justification for the transfer portal, and NIL, has never had anything to do with academics. It's about being able to control where your services are provided under your terms. What difference does academics make?
Believe it or not, the vast majority of these athletes are studying for a degree at their universities. I think you’ll run into some serious legal problems trying to involuntarily move a student athlete, who is on a one year athletic contract, from their degree programs to a university that doesn’t provide the same degree program or doesn’t accept the credits they’ve already earned.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri May 05, 2023 8:46 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 8:08 am
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
This had me laughing. I appreciate your posts, but man do we disagree on this one.

Ironically I currently own four of my own business, was a college athlete, and don't consider myself part of any "cupcake crowd".

Just love seeing players having the same control over their education and futures as every other student at the university.
The portal has really benefitted the bigger schools. The better players at lower level schools (FCS and G5) now have a formal system to “announce and advertise” they are available for recruitment again. Of course, FCS gets the unhappy players from FBS schools. But this shifting seems to be making FBS better and FCS (and G5) weaker. If the NCAA’s role was to protect competition and provide a level playing field, they have failed dramatically.

You are correct on athletes gaining more flexibility similar to regular college students, but most college kids don’t get the bulk of college paid for. When you played in college, weren’t you looking forward to being at that school for all 4 years when you committed? I don’t think that is the case anymore. Mentality of the college athlete has changed to one of a minor league systems toward an eventual a pay day which now includes NIL money in college.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Fri May 05, 2023 9:02 am

I think large NIL is a fad. Will we continue to see these large payouts when athletes get the money then transfer to the rival the next year. Maybe it stays a bidding war. Or, those paying them realize there isn't any commitment and start backing away. Seems like many each year end up not finding a spot so is that part really better for the athlete.

Sports is not bigger than life

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri May 05, 2023 9:27 am

AFCAT wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 8:27 am
coloradocat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

Believe it or not, the vast majority of these athletes are studying for a degree at their universities. I think you’ll run into some serious legal problems trying to involuntarily move a student athlete, who is on a one year athletic contract, from their degree programs to a university that doesn’t provide the same degree program or doesn’t accept the credits they’ve already earned.
I definitely agree with you on the legal aspect but the transfer portal has nothing to do with education. The idea of trading players is a non-starter but let's not kid ourselves and think any more than 1-2% of transfer portal entries are related to educational opportunities.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri May 05, 2023 9:27 am

Cataholic wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 8:46 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

The portal has really benefitted the bigger schools. The better players at lower level schools (FCS and G5) now have a formal system to “announce and advertise” they are available for recruitment again. Of course, FCS gets the unhappy players from FBS schools. But this shifting seems to be making FBS better and FCS (and G5) weaker. If the NCAA’s role was to protect competition and provide a level playing field, they have failed dramatically.

You are correct on athletes gaining more flexibility similar to regular college students, but most college kids don’t get the bulk of college paid for. When you played in college, weren’t you looking forward to being at that school for all 4 years when you committed? I don’t think that is the case anymore. Mentality of the college athlete has changed to one of a minor league systems toward an eventual a pay day which now includes NIL money in college.
I think the FBS will continue to be stronger than the FCS. But I also believe that's how it has always been.

For me, I committed and expected to be at the school for four years. I also had dreams of being all conference amongst other things. None of those things happened and I was no longer an athlete after 2 years, instead just a student. But that was just my experience. Other teammates were there for four years. Others left for other schools.

My personal opinion is players commit to a school with visions of being there. But things change. Circumstances change. Coaches change. Teammates change. Majors change. Maybe there is homesickness? Personal issues. Maybe it's as simple as playing time. There are a plethora of reasons why ALL students leave MSU to find a better fit one way or another. I don't have a problem with it being the same for the athletes, even though as a fan of the teams I may see players leave. I say good for them.

And as always we'll continue getting the players from FBS schools looking for the same thing; a better fit and likely more playing time doing what they love to do.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri May 05, 2023 10:55 am

coloradocat wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 9:27 am
AFCAT wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 8:27 am
coloradocat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

I definitely agree with you on the legal aspect but the transfer portal has nothing to do with education. The idea of trading players is a non-starter but let's not kid ourselves and think any more than 1-2% of transfer portal entries are related to educational opportunities.
I never mentioned the portal. My comment was on trading players.

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Fri May 05, 2023 11:29 am

Maybe we should make NIL collectives have to pay the school the exact $$ they are giving the player to transfer. You want RaQuan Battle? You're going to give him $475K NIL money? You have to give MSU $475K as well. NIL's would be more set up for rewarding the athletes currently in the program and less so for stealing from others. Still though it would just further segment the haves from the have-nots.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri May 05, 2023 11:36 am

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 11:29 am
Maybe we should make NIL collectives have to pay the school the exact $$ they are giving the player to transfer. You want RaQuan Battle? You're going to give him $475K NIL money? You have to give MSU $475K as well. NIL's would be more set up for rewarding the athletes currently in the program and less so for stealing from others. Still though it would just further segment the haves from the have-nots.
NIL collectives aren't affiliated with the university or athletic teams. NIL collectives have contracts with individual players.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri May 05, 2023 11:43 am

AFCAT wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 11:36 am
Prodigal Cat wrote:
NIL collectives aren't affiliated with the university or athletic teams. NIL collectives have contracts with individual players.
Understood, but I like the concept. Basically, the larger school that is poaching from a smaller school should be compensating the smaller school somehow. That would be a step towards “leveling” the playing field. Wasn’t the NCAA established to prevent cheating and create a level playing field regardless of resources? It will never happen, but we can dream of that Utopia!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri May 05, 2023 11:53 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 9:27 am
Cataholic wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 8:46 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

I think the FBS will continue to be stronger than the FCS. But I also believe that's how it has always been.

For me, I committed and expected to be at the school for four years. I also had dreams of being all conference amongst other things. None of those things happened and I was no longer an athlete after 2 years, instead just a student. But that was just my experience. Other teammates were there for four years. Others left for other schools.

My personal opinion is players commit to a school with visions of being there. But things change. Circumstances change. Coaches change. Teammates change. Majors change. Maybe there is homesickness? Personal issues. Maybe it's as simple as playing time. There are a plethora of reasons why ALL students leave MSU to find a better fit one way or another. I don't have a problem with it being the same for the athletes, even though as a fan of the teams I may see players leave. I say good for them.

And as always we'll continue getting the players from FBS schools looking for the same thing; a better fit and likely more playing time doing what they love to do.
Yes, I agree on list of your points. But a key difference was that FCS was not considered a developmental league for FBS. That is gradually happening. Basically, get recognized as first team All Conference and a larger school will pick you up with better pay and benefits. That was not happening in the past.

Also contributing to player departures are the societal changes in youth. Transfers always happened in the past, but now it seems much more frequent. I think a lot of it kids are not willing to wait for their chance. Smith is a freshman. Whatever happened to trusting the process, developing and waiting for your chance?

Sorry for the old guy rant as times have changed. I always have to reminded myself that these are kids and they might be leaving for personal reasons, like being homesick. Best of luck to Mr Smith. I hope he gets a chance somewhere else.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri May 05, 2023 12:02 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 11:43 am
AFCAT wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 11:36 am
Prodigal Cat wrote:
Understood, but I like the concept. Basically, the larger school that is poaching from a smaller school should be compensating the smaller school somehow. That would be a step towards “leveling” the playing field. Wasn’t the NCAA established to prevent cheating and create a level playing field regardless of resources? It will never happen, but we can dream of that Utopia!
This idea would just lead to off the books NIL deals for transfers. Which is where the FBS was up until a few years ago.