Noah Smith in portal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Noah Smith in portal

Post by AFCAT » Thu May 04, 2023 1:13 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Noah Smith in portal

Post by coloradocat » Thu May 04, 2023 1:29 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 1:13 pm
The staff might have trouble updating uniform numbers on the website but they're quick to remove guys that enter the portal.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Thu May 04, 2023 1:33 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 1:29 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 1:13 pm
The staff might have trouble updating uniform numbers on the website but they're quick to remove guys that enter the portal.
Still listed on the Bobcat Collective.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu May 04, 2023 2:24 pm

Best of luck to the young man! I hope he finds a home, great fit somewhere where he gets to play a bunch.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu May 04, 2023 3:20 pm

It was nice seeing him finally play in the Spring game but this is another case of a highly-touted scholarship recruit getting beat out by a PWO as Zachary Dodson-Green is on his way to getting reps in the rotation if Taco Dowler can't play for the first few months.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu May 04, 2023 3:32 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 3:20 pm
It was nice seeing him finally play in the Spring game but this is another case of a highly-touted scholarship recruit getting beat out by a PWO as Zachary Dodson-Green is on his way to getting reps in the rotation if Taco Dowler can't play for the first few months.

Just had a long response typed up…. Took a deep breath and deleted it. Haha.

God I hate the transfer portal.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu May 04, 2023 3:41 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 3:32 pm
VimSince03 wrote:

I do too, 100%. However, in cases like this I do think it's the best thing for Noah because if he's not on the two deep heading into Fall, and he really wants to play meaningful snaps in his college football career - absolutely get someplace where he's going to play. But again, I hate it too because this case is the rarity, and too common are the Ifanse, Martin, perhaps Glessner (TBD if this was the best move for him), entire hoops team (lol) cases.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu May 04, 2023 3:51 pm

Yes, I get it that he is not in the 2 deep…. So it makes sense.

But what happened to the days of working harder, continuing to develop in the program, and eventually earn a spot. Which by the way can still work out VERY well for players (Hardy is a great example).

I don’t know, in a lot of ways the transfer portal is ruining college athletics for me. Especially basketball, what a joke.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Thu May 04, 2023 3:57 pm

catatac wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 3:41 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 3:32 pm
VimSince03 wrote:

I do too, 100%. However, in cases like this I do think it's the best thing for Noah because if he's not on the two deep heading into Fall, and he really wants to play meaningful snaps in his college football career - absolutely get someplace where he's going to play. But again, I hate it too because this case is the rarity, and too common are the Ifanse, Martin, perhaps Glessner (TBD if this was the best move for him), entire hoops team (lol) cases.
I agree somewhat. Maybe when we see fewer 5, 6, 7 year players due to COVID it will slow the # of older transfers. That seems to impact the 2nd and 3rd year guys a lot and they don't stick around. Seems easier these days to transfer for unguaranteed playing time or maybe not even an offer, than to heed advice on where improvement is needed, work on that and possible move up the chart. Not saying that is case here, maybe he was told to look. But, not many Lance's out there anymore.

Sports is not bigger than life

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu May 04, 2023 4:19 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 3:51 pm

But what happened to the days of working harder, continuing to develop in the program, and eventually earn a spot. Which by the way can still work out VERY well for players (Hardy is a great example).

I don’t know, in a lot of ways the transfer portal is ruining college athletics for me. Especially basketball, what a joke.
Well it’s not going to get much better anytime soon, you might want to take a hiatus.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu May 04, 2023 4:36 pm

mslacatfan wrote:

This is not necessarily a defense of the transfer portal but we've been a net beneficiary of it. We rarely lose guys that are getting real playing time whereas we bring in multiple 2-deep players every year.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu May 04, 2023 4:52 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 4:36 pm
mslacatfan wrote:

This is not necessarily a defense of the transfer portal but we've been a net beneficiary of it. We rarely lose guys that are getting real playing time whereas we bring in multiple 2-deep players every year.
I have mixed feelings on it in its current state. I disagree with posters like mslacatfan (and it appears Coach Vigen as well) on their thoughts on grad transfers exploring the portal and not being invited back (again just grad transfers...I'm in agreement on undergrads who leave should not be accepted back). However, I'm with him on the portal ruining college athletics from a fan's point of view. I like to see teams built and developed from start to finish and it feels incomplete when things get blown up when a coach leaves or other players leave. My idea would be a player has to at least graduate from his current school before he can transfer. The coaches being able to leave because buyouts will always be bought out is a whole other issue. Regardless, I think you have to draw a line somewhere and make a commitment to a school more important than committing to a coach or a helmet.

But I also 100% agree with coloradocat that we've been a net beneficiary of the portal. Good to great FCS programs can restock the cupboards quickly with mid-tier FBS talent who get pushed out for elite players at their positions. Without the portal, Bryce Sterk doesn't happen along with many others. I don't know. We as fans just have to choose to ride the wave and hope all the pieces fall into place every year and if you have a coaching staff that is disciplined in its recruitment of the players that fit their culture, it should always work out.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu May 04, 2023 5:16 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 4:52 pm
coloradocat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

I have mixed feelings on it in its current state. I disagree with posters like mslacatfan (and it appears Coach Vigen as well) on their thoughts on grad transfers exploring the portal and not being invited back (again just grad transfers...I'm in agreement on undergrads who leave should not be accepted back). However, I'm with him on the portal ruining college athletics from a fan's point of view. I like to see teams built and developed from start to finish and it feels incomplete when things get blown up when a coach leaves or other players leave. My idea would be a player has to at least graduate from his current school before he can transfer. The coaches being able to leave because buyouts will always be bought out is a whole other issue. Regardless, I think you have to draw a line somewhere and make a commitment to a school more important than committing to a coach or a helmet.

But I also 100% agree with coloradocat that we've been a net beneficiary of the portal. Good to great FCS programs can restock the cupboards quickly with mid-tier FBS talent who get pushed out for elite players at their positions. Without the portal, Bryce Sterk doesn't happen along with many others. I don't know. We as fans just have to choose to ride the wave and hope all the pieces fall into place every year and if you have a coaching staff that is disciplined in its recruitment of the players that fit their culture, it should always work out.
Good points.

I can’t argue that it’s probably been a “net beneficial” system for us…. But as a fan its more entertaining to me to see players as part of a program long term (as vim noted above).

I like the idea of needing to graduate to be eligible…. Or maybe you are only allowed to transfer 1 time? Not sure if that makes sense or not, but the players that transfer every single year is just laughable…. Or even multiple times in 1 year for that matter.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Thu May 04, 2023 5:23 pm

mslacatfan wrote:

It is annoying for sure, but you never know the reasons why a kid makes that major decision. Could be a kid giving up on working harder, could be a kid with other schools in his ear, could be the coaches telling a kid to leave, girlfriend, the list goes on forever...and even if they say some reasons, it’s likely a PC answer and not an honest response. Just have to appreciate the guys while they’re here. BUT the portal is annoying.

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Thu May 04, 2023 6:45 pm

I literally just heard of this kid at the Sonny Holland. Thought he was good player in the one day I watched him. And he's gone.

JoeCatsJoe
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by JoeCatsJoe » Thu May 04, 2023 7:08 pm

CatBot wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 6:45 pm
I literally just heard of this kid at the Sonny Holland. Thought he was good player in the one day I watched him. And he's gone.

Man he looked good in that game, coach him up, let him learn from those guys ahead of him, maybe get some playing time late in blowouts and he’s gone.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu May 04, 2023 7:09 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 4:19 pm

Well it’s not going to get much better anytime soon, you might want to take a hiatus.
I think it will get better to a certain extent once all eligible players have cycled through the extra Covid year. So many of the big name MSU players who have transferred this off-season (Ifanse, White, Bad Bear, Brown, Battle) would've been graduating seniors with no eligibility remaining under the normal "5 to play 4" schedule.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Thu May 04, 2023 7:12 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 4:52 pm
coloradocat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

We could get Sterk pre portal as a drop down.
I think football is less impacted. 3 or 4 leaving in basketball is like 20 in football.

Sports is not bigger than life

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu May 04, 2023 8:39 pm

mslacatfan wrote:

So I’m assuming you were mad when Sterk, Clevan Thomas, Ty McCullouch, Junior Alexander, and countless others transferred in, right? I mean, how dare they not stay and work to earn a spot?!

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu May 04, 2023 8:40 pm

I know this might be shocking, but players did in fact transfer before the transfer portal was a thing.