Moving up

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: Moving up

Post by Cataholic » Wed May 31, 2023 5:14 pm

I was curious what state besides Wyoming has an FBS team with the lowest state population. It appears to be Hawaii at number 41 (based on population) with 1.4 million in population. West Virginia is number 40 in size with 1.7 million.

The next states are in order of largest to smallest:

42. New Hampshire - 1.4 million
Maine
Montana - 1.1 million
Rhode Island
Delaware
South Dakota
North Dakota
Alaska
District of Columbia
Vermont
52. Wyoming - 578,000 population

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed May 31, 2023 5:28 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 5:14 pm
I was curious what state besides Wyoming has an FBS team with the lowest state population. It appears to be Hawaii at number 41 (based on population) with 1.4 million in population. West Virginia is number 40 in size with 1.7 million.

Maine
Montana - 1.1 million
Rhode Island
Delaware
South Dakota
North Dakota
Alaska
District of Columbia
Vermont
West Virginia has two FBS programs. Marshall and West Virginia. That other school in Montana, so original, stole their cheer. We are Marshall.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed May 31, 2023 9:30 pm

I recognize the appeal of MSU and UM to an FBS conference is limited due to our population and limited TV market, but maybe we are looking at wrong.

If the PAC 12 was to lose Oregon, UW, Arizona, ASU, Colorado and Utah, they will most likely try to survive by getting MWC teams: Colorado State, San Diego State, Boise State and maybe Fresno or UNLV. That leaves a need for teams in the MWC. Who else could join the MWC? MSU and UM would clearly be the most logical teams to consider. Who else would the MWC even consider?

If those PAC 12 defections happen and the conference folds, then you have 4 teams looking for a new conference. The MWC already has 12 teams. Do they try go to 16 teams because those teams would clearly add value to the MWC? I can’t imagine those 4 teams joining a different conference.

I am amazed that the PAC 12 has not publicly made overtures to add CSU and San Diego State. Both big TV markets and good facilities. That commissioner should be fired for being so unprepared and losing both USC and UCLA. His lack of action right now is really strange to me.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Wed May 31, 2023 10:00 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 9:30 pm
I recognize the appeal of MSU and UM to an FBS conference is limited due to our population and limited TV market, but maybe we are looking at wrong.

If the PAC 12 was to lose Oregon, UW, Arizona, ASU, Colorado and Utah, they will most likely try to survive by getting MWC teams: Colorado State, San Diego State, Boise State and maybe Fresno or UNLV. That leaves a need for teams in the MWC. Who else could join the MWC? MSU and UM would clearly be the most logical teams to consider. Who else would the MWC even consider?

If those PAC 12 defections happen and the conference folds, then you have 4 teams looking for a new conference. The MWC already has 12 teams. Do they try go to 16 teams because those teams would clearly add value to the MWC? I can’t imagine those 4 teams joining a different conference.

I am amazed that the PAC 12 has not publicly made overtures to add CSU and San Diego State. Both big TV markets and good facilities. That commissioner should be fired for being so unprepared and losing both USC and UCLA. His lack of action right now is really strange to me.
Larry Scott was fired along with the PAC-12 CFO and the president of the PAC-12 Network. There might be too big of a hole for subsequent leadership to dig out of.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed May 31, 2023 10:06 pm

Cataholic wrote:

Uncle Phil's quackers and UDUB are really trying to get into the Big 10. Pretty much a foregone conclusion the four corner schools are off the the Big 12. The remaining pac schools would be lucky to get an invite to the MWC. What conference commissioner who took intermediate accounting would want WAZZU or OSU with their huge debt or Stanford with their superiority complex? Cal is hoping like hell the Cali University regents makes UCLA share some of their Big 10 windfall. The MWC is in a much better place than the dregs of the pac. San Diego State ought to be headed to the Big 12 given their basketball program.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Wed May 31, 2023 10:08 pm

Cataholic wrote:

Maine
Montana - 1.1 million
Rhode Island
Delaware
South Dakota
North Dakota
Alaska
District of Columbia
Vermont
Don't forget that Wyoming is unique in that it has only one 4 year university.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed May 31, 2023 10:20 pm

This is what is going to happen. The latest performance based conference distribution is a prelude to watching several teams get kicked out of their conferences.

https://huskercorner.com/2023/05/30/neb ... cking-out/

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:58 am

rivercat wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 10:00 pm
Cataholic wrote:

Larry Scott was fired along with the PAC-12 CFO and the president of the PAC-12 Network. There might be too big of a hole for subsequent leadership to dig out of.
I was not aware but it was definitely needed. What an awful case of mismanagement and planning.

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:05 am

Cataholic wrote:

Sac St and UC Davis. Especially if Fresno was gone the dissenters among the MWC would be diminished. Both schools have large enrollment, endowment, natural rivalry, a largish media market and lots of $$$$$$. Especially Davis which is closer to the PAC 12 in their academics and money than FCS. They just don't seem to care about sports.

They also might try to poach from C-USA. UTEP and N Mex St fit geographically and MWC has a better TV deal although not sure what that would look like without teams like Boise, Fresno, and SDSU.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:06 am

cats2506 wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 10:08 pm
Cataholic wrote:

Maine
Montana - 1.1 million
Rhode Island
Delaware
South Dakota
North Dakota
Alaska
District of Columbia
Vermont
I thought the same thing. Unfortunately, every G5 conference would look at Montana as limited in value just due our limited media market. Even Wyoming sits close to the Denver Metropolitan area where 3 million people live. I would guess a larger amount of Wyoming alumni live around Denver.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:20 am

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:05 am
Cataholic wrote:

Sac St and UC Davis. Especially if Fresno was gone the dissenters among the MWC would be diminished. Both schools have large enrollment, endowment, natural rivalry, a largish media market and lots of $$$$$$. Especially Davis which is closer to the PAC 12 in their academics and money than FCS. They just don't seem to care about sports.

They also might try to poach from C-USA. UTEP and N Mex St fit geographically and MWC has a better TV deal although not sure what that would look like without teams like Boise, Fresno, and SDSU.
I you have ever been to a game in Davis or Sac, you would probably dismiss any thought of them being an FBS school. They check the TV market criteria, but a huge investment would be needed for facilities. I just can’t imagine any G5 conference would want them.

Agree though on New Mexico State and UTEP. They fit the profile of a MWC school. And the MWC is probably and upgrade over Conference USA. But that is only two schools while the MWC could lose 4 or more to the PAC 12. I have to believe that despite our small TV market, our facilities and success will eventually get us in the MWC - basically because of P5 conferences stealing teams.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:10 am

cats2506 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Maine
Montana - 1.1 million
Rhode Island
Delaware
South Dakota
North Dakota
Alaska
District of Columbia
Vermont
Have we added a state somewhere? 50 states plus DC gets us to 51. How did Wyoming get to 52?

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:43 am

Long Time Cat wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:10 am
cats2506 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Maine
Montana - 1.1 million
Rhode Island
Delaware
South Dakota
North Dakota
Alaska
District of Columbia
Vermont
Have we added a state somewhere? 50 states plus DC gets us to 51. How did Wyoming get to 52?
Democrats added Mexico…. Just kidding. 🤷‍♂️😂 They had Puerto Rico on the list.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:28 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:43 am
Long Time Cat wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Maine
Montana - 1.1 million
Rhode Island
Delaware
South Dakota
North Dakota
Alaska
District of Columbia
Vermont
Wow. But they didn't include Northern Mariana Islands?

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:57 pm

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:50 pm

For those who still think what is going to be left of the pac stealing MWC teams:

https://www.wyomingnewsnow.tv/2023/05/3 ... 23-season/

The reality is that what is left of the pac when six teams head for the Big 10 & 12 the MWC would be making a huge mistake picking up the ones left behind. What conference in the midwest wants Uncle Phil's school or UDUB? New conference?

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:34 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:57 pm
This should be a really good game.

https://fightinghawks.com/news/2023/5/3 ... rts-1.aspx
Why? Boise will be favored by 20.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:37 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:28 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:43 am
Long Time Cat wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Maine
Montana - 1.1 million
Rhode Island
Delaware
South Dakota
North Dakota
Alaska
District of Columbia
Vermont
Wow. But they didn't include Northern Mariana Islands?
Puerto Rico has a larger population than Utah.

Northern Marianas Islands has fewer people than Bozeman.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:29 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:34 pm
Cat Grad wrote:

And they won't cover. I'd love to see ND piss pound them.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:51 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:29 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:34 pm
Cat Grad wrote:

And they won't cover. I'd love to see ND piss pound them.
??? Are you sure that you don’t have ND confused with NDSU?