Offseason Random Stuff - 2023

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Re: Offseason Random Stuff - 2023

Post by Cat Grad » Fri May 05, 2023 8:09 am

Montanabob wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 8:01 am
And he got 6 1/2 years of college! Played 4 + covid year.
Wonder if either flagship Montana University offered? Was it Tech that beat that school on the Clark's Fork in basketball two years ago? Didn't the NAIA National Championship basketball team have a roster full of Montana kids?

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Fri May 05, 2023 2:42 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 8:09 am
Montanabob wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 8:01 am
And he got 6 1/2 years of college! Played 4 + covid year.
Wonder if either flagship Montana University offered? Was it Tech that beat that school on the Clark's Fork in basketball two years ago? Didn't the NAIA National Championship basketball team have a roster full of Montana kids?
If by “roster full” you mean two, then yes, they do.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun May 07, 2023 1:04 pm

FTG- GO CATS GO!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon May 08, 2023 10:19 am

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon May 08, 2023 8:55 pm

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon May 08, 2023 10:55 pm

FTG- GO CATS GO!

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue May 09, 2023 12:21 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 10:55 pm
Well, that didn't take long..

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue May 09, 2023 12:55 pm

RickRund wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 12:21 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
I wonder what the record is for portal transfers in one year.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue May 09, 2023 1:01 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 12:55 pm
RickRund wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
I hope this (Gerle's situation along with Ifanse's) sends a subtle message to MSU players interested in exploring the portal. MAYBE these guys thought they were moving up (Ifanse) and moving laterally (Gerle), then realized things at MSU were actually pretty darn good. This may not be the case, but perception is often reality, and if players perceive that other players aren't finding greener pastures, that might make them think twice about looking elsewhere. I've always hoped that the portal moves would level out a bit, and I'd imagine "unsuccessful" moves serve as cautionary tales for the majority of players looking to make a change. Sometimes you have to make a change and in those cases I'm grateful for the portal. Other times players are just kicking tires and a low success rate will eventually make guys realize this portal stuff ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue May 09, 2023 1:15 pm

I'm interested in the revenue sharing aspect in the Cali legislature more than any of the other items Baker is pushing Congress to accomplish.

https://www.si.com/college/2023/05/09/n ... -lawmakers

One would think the inevitable collapse of the NCAA-Power 3 (perhaps 4?) alliance comes as soon as Congess acts. Two years max?

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue May 09, 2023 1:19 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 1:01 pm
AFCAT wrote:
RickRund wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
I hope this (Gerle's situation along with Ifanse's) sends a subtle message to MSU players interested in exploring the portal. MAYBE these guys thought they were moving up (Ifanse) and moving laterally (Gerle), then realized things at MSU were actually pretty darn good. This may not be the case, but perception is often reality, and if players perceive that other players aren't finding greener pastures, that might make them think twice about looking elsewhere. I've always hoped that the portal moves would level out a bit, and I'd imagine "unsuccessful" moves serve as cautionary tales for the majority of players looking to make a change. Sometimes you have to make a change and in those cases I'm grateful for the portal. Other times players are just kicking tires and a low success rate will eventually make guys realize this portal stuff ain't all it's cracked up to be.
We will know if it all worked out for Ifanse by the end of next season. Cal looks like a good gig right now. Gerle looks a bit lost, but I don’t know his personal situation.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue May 09, 2023 1:29 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 1:19 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
RickRund wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
We will know if it all worked out for Ifanse by the end of next season. Cal looks like a good gig right now. Gerle looks a bit lost, but I don’t know his personal situation.
I agree it turned out well. But I would still argue that a kid could look at his move to San Jose and think it's pretty reasonable that he was not impressed with what he saw as a superior program. Again, that might not be the case, but it could definitely be perceived that way. And if you're not good enough to go straight to Cal, that's a tough road to travel to get there. I think it would make me stop and think about it.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue May 09, 2023 1:50 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 1:29 pm
AFCAT wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
RickRund wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
I agree it turned out well. But I would still argue that a kid could look at his move to San Jose and think it's pretty reasonable that he was not impressed with what he saw as a superior program. Again, that might not be the case, but it could definitely be perceived that way. And if you're not good enough to go straight to Cal, that's a tough road to travel to get there. I think it would make me stop and think about it.
Perhaps, just perhaps, this may have entered into the decision making process? We all know there's a psuedo-school within the state of Montana with similar entrance requirements as San Jose is reputed to possess; e.g., can one locate exit 105 on I-90 in Montana.

https://grad.berkeley.edu/admissions/st ... ply/apply/

Supposedly, the better academic institutions parse the applicants more closely hence the length of time between submitting an application and receiving the aye or nay letter from said institution of indoctrination.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue May 09, 2023 2:03 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 1:50 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
RickRund wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
Perhaps, just perhaps, this may have entered into the decision making process? We all know there's a psuedo-school within the state of Montana with similar entrance requirements as San Jose is reputed to possess; e.g., can one locate exit 105 on I-90 in Montana.

Supposedly, the better academic institutions parse the applicants more closely hence the length of time between submitting an application and receiving the aye or nay letter from said institution of indoctrination.
So Ifanse went with his safety school first in the hopes that his first choice would eventually come through?

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue May 09, 2023 2:09 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 2:03 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 1:50 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
RickRund wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

So Ifanse went with his safety school first in the hopes that his first choice would eventually come through?
That's what it appears to be from my perspective. Cats lost two players to the Cali University schools...

Just getting admitted to Berkley's Grad School speaks highly to the education the greatest running back MSU has ever had and kudos to Waded's staff and faculty!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed May 10, 2023 11:29 am

Tommy Mellott sent me a letter! Tommy Mellott sent me a letter! :lol:

DMMDCats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DMMDCats » Wed May 10, 2023 11:54 am

MSU Bookstore finally received new golf bags:

https://www.msubookstore.org/bobcat-spirit/sports

Get yours today.

Have a wonderful day!!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed May 10, 2023 8:21 pm

Not sure how Sluka is above Tommy on this list, but maybe it's the glasses.

https://herosports.com/fcs-football-top ... acks-bzbz/

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed May 10, 2023 9:21 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 8:21 pm

Well, he did look a lot better against SDSU last year than either MSU quarterback.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed May 10, 2023 10:38 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 9:21 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 8:21 pm

Well, he did look a lot better against SDSU last year than either MSU quarterback.
Entirely different game. He broke contain a bunch and was the only source of offense. Still just 12-26 for 125 and a pick.