Did you attend MSU?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Did you attend MSU?

Yes, graduated
59%
Yes, but did not graduate
7%
Went somewhere else, but grew up a fan
4%
No, just a fan
4%
No, not a fan, just a troll and not sure if it is spelled "griz" or "gris"
0%
FTG
25%

Total votes: 255

rollo_tumasi
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: Did you attend MSU?

Post by rollo_tumasi » Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:25 pm

Born in Bozeman. Moved to Minnesota when I was 2. Moved back in the spring of 84. Loved sports, but parents didn’t. Loved that Bozeman had a college & sports teams to follow as a young 10 year old(listened to all the games on the radio-Loved Dean immediately!). Mom was given tickets from her job to Senior Day in 84… found out her 2nd Cousin from California was a starting linebacker on the team(Gregg Wilks) and he got us playoff tickets that year. Semifinal game against Rhode Island was one of the greatest moments in my life! From that moment on I was a Bobcat for life! Started school there in 1992(Snowed on the 1st Day???) Ran Track for the Cats till 1997. Graduated & got a teaching job. Returned in 2000 to get a 2nd Degree to one of the worst years I can ever remember, but went to every home game! Moved away & got married & had kids, but won season tickets in 2011 for this story & have kept them ever since. Might not find a bigger fan than me, but it’s not a competition! Love to spend Saturdays in Bozeman with my family & 20,000 of my best friends!!

I swear, it's like I'm playin' cards with my brother's kids or somethin'. You nerve-wrackin' sons-a-bitches.'

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:02 am

St George wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:21 pm
My friends and I went to Bobcat football game to party, Multiple times taking 10 gallons of mixed drinks into the stadium. Yes 10 gallons. We had a system that worked. I graduated in 1980 but growing up near Mizzoula I was always a Bobcat fan. Living in Idaho now I still make 2 games a year.
Were you responsible or party to the pony keg of beer that was smuggled into the East stands??? I enjoyed my share of that keg that day.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:18 pm

I grew up in Bozeman, went to an out-of-state college as a freshman, dropped out, screwed around for a few years, went back to school at MSU and graduated in 2013.

My dad worked at MSU and I basically grew up on campus, so I'd be a Bobcat fan even if I never actually took a class.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:50 pm

Grew up in Cut Bank, had quite a few small school offers for football but did not want to go to another "small school." Did not really have a plan after high school once I decided I was done with football so I followed my older brother and most of my cousins to Bozeman. We were always a Bobcat family but I personally rooted against the gris more than for the Cats. Cut Bank, at that time, was 80% gris fans and most of them were awful. Once I got on campus I never missed a game, been obsessed ever since. I remember being able to lie down in the stands without touching another fan my freshman year, but by senior year you had better show up an hour early to get a spot in the student section. Graduated in '07 with a Business Management degree.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:41 am

I grew up near Bozeman and attended games in the 70's with tickets received due to the Steer a Year program and with my HS team. I attended Northern for Farm Ranch Management and the Mechanics courses. In the early 80's a family friend played for the Cats and I attended games with his comp tickets including most of the 84's season. Later, I lived too far to attend games but always tried to follow the Cats. Later when my son got interested in football we took him to a game and soon after got season tickets (about 2007) and have had them since.
My mother is a UM alum and dad didn't go to college. Oddly enough it was my mom that took me to games as a kid, she has always really liked football.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:05 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:22 pm
Well @coachouert , this was a home run of a thread, well done, even if the idea came from that other site...

@kmax I'm nominating this thread for a permanent sticky, so that the casual lurkers who don't frequent BN every day that the few of us diehards do will see it in the future and share their stories.

The stories from our elder statesmen are some of my favorites! Where you at @WalkOn79 ?
Second generation and my kids are the third. My son graduated in 2014 and my daughter is finishing up this semester. something unique for our family is that my mom and dad, and all 6 of us boys have degrees from Montana State. Went to my first game in Gatton Field when I was 6 and have been a fan for life. That's 62 years for those that are counting.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:31 pm

Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:11 am
Was offered a Spot from Sonny in 76 ~ we weren’t financially flush as a family , and had a good shrine game , got a Ride from EMC in Billings for two years . After they quit their program went close to home in Dillon WMC . Got to play with Tom Kostabra in Dillon for
a year ~ would be over 6’ foot today if I didn’t have to tackle him in practice ! Only man I knew that could physically shrink people !
A Bobcat Fan since Highschool . Between Rodeo and Football spent way too much Social time in Bozeman . Know many past Coaches and
Players . Better Half is a griz fan ~ brings a whole new meaning to FTG ~ Off and On BCQBC member and Season Ticket holder depending
On how many Irons in the Fire . Summer in Montana ~ Winter in Wickenburg ~ we have a Bobcat / griz Rope n Stroke down here in Cave Creek every year . It’s pert near Famous and very competitive to say the least .
I can relate!! :D :D :D

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:41 pm

I was born the summer after my dad graduated from Montana State College. They lived in married student housing which means I was almost certainly conceived on campus making me a Bobcat my entire life plus 9 months.

I attended MT Tech my freshman year then transferred to MSU and graduated in 88. My wife graduated in 94. Both kids attended for a short time before other pursuits (booming construction and military) called. Daughter in law is a 2012 grad. Grand daughters have complete wardrobes of Cat gear to get them going in the right direction.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

MT2AK_CAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by MT2AK_CAT » Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:53 pm

Began at MSU in 2002 and graduated in 2008 ( took some time off). Born and raised a bobcat. Was able too meet many basketball and football players as a young kid and still keep in touch with many of them. One of my best memories was when I was in sixth grade Nico Harrison was my guest speaker for career day. It was great having a the kids asking how I was able to get him there. Then when it was time for college, I had some buddies going to Missoula. My dad straight ip tell me not a dime of his money would ever go to Missoula. Made my decision to attend msu very easy. The best thing I ever did. Got a great education and met my beautiful wife.

Oh ya…ESGGCG and FTG!!!!

Buckaroo Bonzi

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:04 am

WalkOn79 wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:31 pm
Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:

Was offered a Spot from Sonny in 76 ~ we weren’t financially flush as a family , and had a good shrine game , got a Ride from EMC in Billings for two years . After they quit their program went close to home in Dillon WMC . Got to play with Tom Kostabra in Dillon for
a year ~ would be over 6’ foot today if I didn’t have to tackle him in practice ! Only man I knew that could physically shrink people !
A Bobcat Fan since Highschool . Between Rodeo and Football spent way too much Social time in Bozeman . Know many past Coaches and
Players . Better Half is a griz fan ~ brings a whole new meaning to FTG ~ Off and On BCQBC member and Season Ticket holder depending
On how many Irons in the Fire . Summer in Montana ~ Winter in Wickenburg ~ we have a Bobcat / griz Rope n Stroke down here in Cave Creek every year . It’s pert near Famous and very competitive to say the least .
Let’s Hope the Girls don’t read the Nation !

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:29 am

Grew up a Griz fan in a Griz household, both my parents attended U of M, met in school, used to use their spring breaks to watch basketball, they were big into it. I grew up going to Griz games for the few years we lived in Missoula anyway, fond memories of sliding down their grass endzones before the seating was bowled in. I was at that Stephen F. Austin semi-final game they played in I think 1994 where it was absolutely frigid and the Griz won like 70-14, I would have been around 11. But we only lived in Missoula for a few years so I didn't have an entire childhood full of attending Griz games, just a few years. I think we moved out of Missoula 95 or 96 and never moved back. I was a fan but I honestly liked my LA/St. Louis Rams more, college football just didn't really do it for me.

Fast forward to college, I'm wanting to attend U of Missoula but I want to get into Computer Science, so the choice is pretty easy there so I buck the family history and me and my best friend enroll at MSU in Computer Science in 2001. For the first year I didn't really care about the Cats, I think maybe I went to a basketball game or two but I don't think I went to a single football game. For my sophomore year I end up deciding to join the marching band to get some of that sweet scholarship money, and so I was required to go to games. It wasn't really until that fateful day in November where the Cats ended the streak, I was in the stands in the Spirit of the West Marching Band that I was sort of hit by a school spirit lighting bolt. It was right then and there that I became a Cat fan for life, and after that became obsessed and although I didn't attend every home game I watched them all on TV (depending how hung over I was, let's be honest).

Switched majors, spent a year on academic probation, then did a couple of years part-time year round while working but finally got that sweet degree 7 years later. :lol:

If I would have decided to get a Business Degree right out of the game I probably would have ended up in Missoula.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

GRIZFNZ

Post by GRIZFNZ » Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:28 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:29 am
Grew up a Griz fan in a Griz household, both my parents attended U of M, met in school, used to use their spring breaks to watch basketball, they were big into it. I grew up going to Griz games for the few years we lived in Missoula anyway, fond memories of sliding down their grass endzones before the seating was bowled in. I was at that Stephen F. Austin semi-final game they played in I think 1994 where it was absolutely frigid and the Griz won like 70-14, I would have been around 11. But we only lived in Missoula for a few years so I didn't have an entire childhood full of attending Griz games, just a few years. I think we moved out of Missoula 95 or 96 and never moved back. I was a fan but I honestly liked my LA/St. Louis Rams more, college football just didn't really do it for me.

Fast forward to college, I'm wanting to attend U of Missoula but I want to get into Computer Science, so the choice is pretty easy there so I buck the family history and me and my best friend enroll at MSU in Computer Science in 2001. For the first year I didn't really care about the Cats, I think maybe I went to a basketball game or two but I don't think I went to a single football game. For my sophomore year I end up deciding to join the marching band to get some of that sweet scholarship money, and so I was required to go to games. It wasn't really until that fateful day in November where the Cats ended the streak, I was in the stands in the Spirit of the West Marching Band that I was sort of hit by a school spirit lighting bolt. It was right then and there that I became a Cat fan for life, and after that became obsessed and although I didn't attend every home game I watched them all on TV (depending how hung over I was, let's be honest).

Switched majors, spent a year on academic probation, then did a couple of years part-time year round while working but finally got that sweet degree 7 years later. :lol:

If I would have decided to get a Business Degree right out of the game I probably would have ended up in Missoula.
Computer Science? UM has offered that forever…my dad graduated with a CS degree in 76.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:34 pm

GRIZFNZ wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:28 pm
CelticCat wrote:

Computer Science? UM has offered that forever…my dad graduated with a CS degree in 76.
Sure, but it was clear and continues to be clear MSU has a much better program. I toured both programs and campuses way back in 2001.

Pecos24

Post by Pecos24 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:57 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:34 pm
GRIZFNZ wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:28 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Grew up a Griz fan in a Griz household ...

Fast forward to college, I'm wanting to attend U of Missoula but I want to get into Computer Science, so the choice is pretty easy there so I buck the family history and me and my best friend enroll at MSU in Computer Science in 2001...
Sure, but it was clear and continues to be clear MSU has a much better program. I toured both programs and campuses way back in 2001.
CelticCat speaks the truth...

I have a somewhat similar story...I attended some Jr. High and 3 years of high school in western Montana. So not surprisingly most of my classmates were Griz fans, plus my dad was a Griz fan. My dad would take me to Griz basketball game or two every year, so I was a Griz fan for several years.

Then comes my senior year of high school and I have to make a decision of what I am going to do and I decide on CS, I knew UM had a CS program but why the hell would I get a CS degree from a liberal arts school? Made my decision easy and I just flipped a switch. I'm going to MSU now I'm a Bobcat.

I probably went to all the football games as a freshman, but subsequent years I probably only went to 2 or 3 games a year. I figured sleeping off my hangover from Friday night drinking was a better use of my time than watching another loss. (I attended 88-93) I rarely missed a basketball game though, only because of tests or when I was home on Christmas Break.

Lived in Oregon for a little over 10 years and anytime the Cats were in Portland, basketball or football, I was there.

Been back in Montana for about 17 years and have been football season ticket holder since 2019.

Bill Zander
CS '93
AKA - "F'n sorry ass"

cats_thirdeye
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by cats_thirdeye » Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:43 pm

Grew up in western South Dakota and knew I needed to get the hell out of state for school. My step-dad was ski patrol at the ski hill in the Black Hills, so I learned to ski at the age of 5. So options were schools in CO or MT. I was absolutely dead set on going to school in CO (always vacationed in FoCo and Denver and had friends moving down as well) Went to "Senior Weekends" or whatever they are called at CSU, UNC and MSU. Bozeman and MSU immediately just felt like home and the right decision. Have always loved CFB and grew up a die-hard Buffs fan. But never really paid attention to I-AA football and wouldn't have been able to tell you if the Cats were MSU or MCC. Attended a few games that infamous 0-11 season my freshman year in 2000, mostly didn't get to games because, well.....college. I foggily remember the marching band marching by the dorms early Saturday mornings and i could never get my ass out of the bed. But the next 4 years while in Bozeman we made better efforts to get to the games and they were glorious.. Loved the tailgating and post game beers. Tortillas. Lulay song. The end of the streak.

Then the dark (pink) years...../s. I chose as my career to be a PT. Missoula was my only option in MT for grad school. By that time I had married a Montanan and didn't consider anything out of state. But no worries......my allegiance never wavered. FTG! I had a great class that loved tailgating and CFB as well. Free tickets didn't go to waste. I attended almost all the MCC home games......in Blue and Gold Cats gear! Vociferously cheering on the away team no matter who it was. By the way....I still don't claim my Doctorate degree came from there....it was honored by the State of Montana, since it was my only option.

I have since moved back to western SD. Try to get as many Cats games as I can, but have probably been to more away games than home games. Damn kids and their damn activities.

Anyways, love the thread. And ESGGCG!

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:03 pm

Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:04 am
WalkOn79 wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:31 pm
Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:

Let’s Hope the Girls don’t read the Nation !
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:50 pm

And another reason why MSU will out recruit uhmmm.
https://www.montana.edu/news/22724/for- ... esignation

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

bobcats35
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by bobcats35 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:30 pm

Came to Bozeman in 1958 to play Basketball for the Cats. Graduated in 1962 and moved to the midwest and worked for GE. Retired in 1995 and moved back to Bozeman in 2002. Avid Bobcats fan in all sports. Have not missed a FB or BB game since.

RockyBearCat

Post by RockyBearCat » Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:56 pm

bobcats35 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:30 pm
Came to Bozeman in 1958 to play Basketball for the Cats. Graduated in 1962 and moved to the midwest and worked for GE. Retired in 1995 and moved back to Bozeman in 2002. Avid Bobcats fan in all sports. Have not missed a FB or BB game since.
21 years without missing a FB or BB game is impressive!!! =D^

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:11 pm

bobcats35 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:30 pm
Daggum, you the GOAT.