Big Sky Conference Help Wanted posting

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Big Sky Conference Help Wanted posting

Post by Rich K » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:10 pm

Coordinator of Football Officials
Probably quite a few posters here would qualify.

https://bigskyconf.com/documents/2023/1 ... df?id=7798

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Re: Big Sky Conference Help Wanted posting

Post by Cledus » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:17 pm

I see there's no information on compensation. That's not a mistake. They want you to apply and go through several rounds of denigrating, Hunger Games-style interviews so that at the end they can ask, "What are your salary requirements?" Only to then find out it's 50% what you already make.

They know if they published what the position pays nobody would apply.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:33 pm

Cledus wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:17 pm
I see there's no information on compensation. That's not a mistake. They want you to apply and go through several rounds of denigrating, Hunger Games-style interviews so that at the end they can ask, "What are your salary requirements?" Only to then find out it's 50% what you already make.

You're probably right, but I'd guess compensation is VERY dependent on experience and qualifications. If they find somebody to just be a manager and coordinate reviews performed by peers, it'll be a low-paying job.

I think it's telling that under "Required knowledge, skills and abilities", it lists nothing about expertise in officiating. That tells me they'd take somebody who could be an excellent manager and might not know a ton about officiating football. Clearly they'd like to get somebody with extensive experience as a football official, but in my mind they aren't sure they'd get that, so they're not requiring it. If they can get it, they'd be willing to pay considerably more. My off the wall guess is that they've got a number in mind, but for the perfectly qualified person they might pay at least double that.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:42 pm

Cledus wrote:

I've been giving them evaluations for free for decades

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:56 pm

I found out I don't qualify. I can see and am not deaf.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:12 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:33 pm
Cledus wrote:

You're probably right, but I'd guess compensation is VERY dependent on experience and qualifications. If they find somebody to just be a manager and coordinate reviews performed by peers, it'll be a low-paying job.

I think it's telling that under "Required knowledge, skills and abilities", it lists nothing about expertise in officiating. That tells me they'd take somebody who could be an excellent manager and might not know a ton about officiating football. Clearly they'd like to get somebody with extensive experience as a football official, but in my mind they aren't sure they'd get that, so they're not requiring it. If they can get it, they'd be willing to pay considerably more. My off the wall guess is that they've got a number in mind, but for the perfectly qualified person they might pay at least double that.
They do require 5 years of DI experience.

Additional Information:
This position reports to the Deputy Commissioner (who serves as the conference office’s sport
administrator for football), will serve as an independent contractor with an initial term for the 2023
calendar year. Requirements include a bachelor’s degree and at least five (5) years of on-field officiating
at the NCAA Division I FCS level or higher. Now or in the future, the Big Sky Conference may opt to
partner, informally or formally as a consortium, for officiating services with one or more other
intercollegiate football conferences, which may be at the level of FBS Autonomy 5, FBS Group of 5, FCS,
Division II, Division III, and/or NAIA.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:15 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:12 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:33 pm
Cledus wrote:

They do require 5 years of DI experience. They also show a lack of awareness on how the real world works these days by requiring a bachelor's degree. Just A degree, doesn't say any certain type. That is pretty dumb. A lot of the most qualified officials may have started when they were 18 or 19 and never went to school. Hopefully that isn't a strict guideline. If so, I can see why our officials are so terrible.

Additional Information:
This position reports to the Deputy Commissioner (who serves as the conference office’s sport
administrator for football), will serve as an independent contractor with an initial term for the 2023
calendar year. Requirements include a bachelor’s degree and at least five (5) years of on-field officiating
at the NCAA Division I FCS level or higher. Now or in the future, the Big Sky Conference may opt to
partner, informally or formally as a consortium, for officiating services with one or more other
intercollegiate football conferences, which may be at the level of FBS Autonomy 5, FBS Group of 5, FCS,
Division II, Division III, and/or NAIA.