Lonyatta Alexander Jr. commits

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: Lonyatta Alexander Jr. commits

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:21 am

AFCAT wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:43 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:59 pm
I remember a discussion on here, maybe five or six years ago, how so many transfers had not been working out — just the reverse of now. If someone remembers or is lucky at Search it should still be around. The bad outweighed the good quite a lot.

Women’s basketball had two or three flameouts (one DUI), football had some duds (bar fights, etc.), seems like men’s BB did also (same bar fight). As our coaches were upgraded or found their feet, their success with transfers has improved considerably. Maybe the vast amount of information and film available has helped?
I haven’t done a deep dive into the subject but it seems FBS transfers have been pretty good lately, but JUCO transfers can be a bit of a hit and miss sometimes.
Juco kids usually need a little more development. Take Daniel Hardy for example. Came to MSU with 3 years to play 2 but would have never been the player he was his 3rd year (senior year) without redshirting his 1st year to develop his body. He was a great role player his 2nd year but just a case where he had to have time to add weight and strength.

Now...do FCS schools have time to wait on JUCO kids to develop anymore? Now that all of these dropdown FBS kids are in the portal? Not sure and something to watch moving forward.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:01 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:21 am
AFCAT wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
I remember a discussion on here, maybe five or six years ago, how so many transfers had not been working out — just the reverse of now. If someone remembers or is lucky at Search it should still be around. The bad outweighed the good quite a lot.

Women’s basketball had two or three flameouts (one DUI), football had some duds (bar fights, etc.), seems like men’s BB did also (same bar fight). As our coaches were upgraded or found their feet, their success with transfers has improved considerably. Maybe the vast amount of information and film available has helped?
I haven’t done a deep dive into the subject but it seems FBS transfers have been pretty good lately, but JUCO transfers can be a bit of a hit and miss sometimes.
Juco kids usually need a little more development. Take Daniel Hardy for example. Came to MSU with 3 years to play 2 but would have never been the player he was his 3rd year (senior year) without redshirting his 1st year to develop his body. He was a great role player his 2nd year but just a case where he had to have time to add weight and strength.

Now...do FCS schools have time to wait on JUCO kids to develop anymore? Now that all of these dropdown FBS kids are in the portal? Not sure and something to watch moving forward.
I don’t believe Daniel redshirted. Didn’t he have have three years to pay three? I know he played more than four games in 2018, 2019, and 2021. Daniel really benefited from the Covid year and the coaching change/position change. That’s when he really developed his body.

I know Jonsen and Hardy were two great hits on the JUCO side but I can name a few misses, Flovin, Jackson, Polotaivao, and Vander to name a few. Of course, some of these players were good depth guys. Heck, looking back at the rosters, I can see a few FBS misses too, Roper (injured early), Maleek Barkley, Natee (injured).

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:46 am

AFCAT wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:01 am
VimSince03 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

I don’t believe Daniel redshirted. Didn’t he have have three years to pay three? I know he played more than four games in 2018, 2019, and 2021. Daniel really benefited from the Covid year and the coaching change/position change. That’s when he really developed his body.

I know Jonsen and Hardy were two great hits on the JUCO side but I can name a few misses, Flovin, Jackson, Polotaivao, and Vander to name a few. Of course, some of these players were good depth guys. Heck, looking back at the rosters, I can see a few FBS misses too, Roper (injured early), Maleek Barkley, Natee (injured).
I stand corrected! Shows what kind of memory I have anymore. I guess the question I was trying to pose is this: do FBS transfers have a higher expectation to play right away than JUCO transfers? Or does experience/talent still win out regardless (Bryce Sterk vs. Shiloh Laboy for example).

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:16 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:46 am
AFCAT wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

I stand corrected! Shows what kind of memory I have anymore. I guess the question I was trying to pose is this: do FBS transfers have a higher expectation to play right away than JUCO transfers? Or does experience/talent still win out regardless (Bryce Sterk vs. Shiloh Laboy for example).
I think in general, at least for me personally, I have higher expectations from FBS transfers but I each one has an important metric. For FBS, it's not so much the class (although I do expect upperclassman transfers to produce regardless or previous level of football) but it's more about the program. I had minimal expectations for Nate Stewart for example, coming from Akron even though he was a grad transfer. But for JUCO, I know some are more premier than other but to me JUCO is JUCO. If we bring in a sophomore JUCO guy I assume he needs work, but if we bring in a guy who's a junior then I have expectations that he is going to be a big contributor or even starter.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:01 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:16 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:46 am
AFCAT wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

I think in general, at least for me personally, I have higher expectations from FBS transfers but I each one has an important metric. For FBS, it's not so much the class (although I do expect upperclassman transfers to produce regardless or previous level of football) but it's more about the program. I had minimal expectations for Nate Stewart for example, coming from Akron even though he was a grad transfer. But for JUCO, I know some are more premier than other but to me JUCO is JUCO. If we bring in a sophomore JUCO guy I assume he needs work, but if we bring in a guy who's a junior then I have expectations that he is going to be a big contributor or even starter.
David Alston is another recent example but he transferred here as a redshirt sophomore in 2021. He was with Nebraska from 2018-2020 so the expectation was a more refined product when he got to MSU. But he's really only been a rotation al player at best who flashes one or two games a year. You can see why he was recruited to a FBS school. Long-armed, 6-4 frame who's a good athlete that can possibly be that hybrid type of player so desired by every football program. David will be going into next year as a senior (not sure if he gets a COVID year because he was on Nebraska's active roster during 2020 though he didn't play) who could really add a boost to the defensive line if he can finally put it together consistently every week.

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Lord Vigo » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:13 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:01 pm
David Alston is another recent example but he transferred here as a redshirt sophomore in 2021. He was with Nebraska from 2018-2020 so the expectation was a more refined product when he got to MSU. But he's really only been a rotation al player at best who flashes one or two games a year. You can see why he was recruited to a FBS school. Long-armed, 6-4 frame who's a good athlete that can possibly be that hybrid type of player so desired by every football program. David will be going into next year as a senior (not sure if he gets a COVID year because he was on Nebraska's active roster during 2020 though he didn't play) who could really add a boost to the defensive line if he can finally put it together consistently every week.
If it "clicked" for Alston this coming season, that would give a huge boost to the defensive line. They could really use his length on the edge. A case could be made that that's the biggest remaining issue on the entire roster.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:36 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:13 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
If it "clicked" for Alston this coming season, that would give a huge boost to the defensive line. They could really use his length on the edge. A case could be made that that's the biggest remaining issue on the entire roster.

Yup. Really hoping for a Daniel Hardy type situation, where it all comes together his final year.

He is actually pretty similar to Hardy when looking at his frame and athletic ability.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

MSU Toddler
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSU Toddler » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:30 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:36 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:13 pm
VimSince03 wrote:

Yup. Really hoping for a Daniel Hardy type situation, where it all comes together his final year.

He is actually pretty similar to Hardy when looking at his frame and athletic ability.
I'm hoping that the 'Coach Kollar' experience has an impact on Mr. Alston and the entire DL that provides the Cats with an advantage like none other.

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

BobDals
New Recruit

Post by BobDals » Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:06 pm

ND0479

Just sit down and talk to Jr Alexander and give him a chance to tell his story. I Guarentee you, that you'll understand why he made the moves he did. He not a headache, headcase or a knucklehead.

And don't worry about his work ethic. Just sit back and wait, and see. And he is committed 100% sir. You'll see soon enough what he brings. And let revisit this when you see😉😉

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:13 pm

BobDals wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:06 pm
ND0479

Just sit down and talk to Jr Alexander and give him a chance to tell his story. I Guarentee you, that you'll understand why he made the moves he did. He not a headache, headcase or a knucklehead.

And don't worry about his work ethic. Just sit back and wait, and see. And he is committed 100% sir. You'll see soon enough what he brings. And let revisit this when you see😉😉
What are you referring to? His analysis of both Tommy and Sean in the passing game?

Hating the griz since 02.

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:22 pm

BobDals wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:06 pm
ND0479

Oh he doesn’t owe me an explanation or anything at all…I’m a nobody! Like I said, I’m sure he has his reasons and I hope he finds what he’s looking for with the Cats!

BobDals
New Recruit

Post by BobDals » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:11 pm

@CodyCat
No sir, I was referring to Lonyatta Jr Alexander sir.
I believe that he's a good guy. And that he will figure it out in Montana. Heck, he has no choice at this point.

I was basically responding to @ND0479 about his "4*.....2*" comment. And that I feel that us grown ups can be very critical of these kids(working their way to manhood). And that if we can sit down and "maybe" find out why these kids make these decisions. Then there wouldn't be soooooo much speculation or just plain bad info(mainly assumptions voiced), that other piggyback off of. Which can be a snowball of crap about a kid that isn't warranted. Just saying.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:16 pm

BobDals wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:11 pm
@CodyCat
No sir, I was referring to Lonyatta Jr Alexander sir.
I believe that he's a good guy. And that he will figure it out in Montana. Heck, he has no choice at this point.

I was basically responding to @ND0479 about his "4*.....2*" comment. And that I feel that us grown ups can be very critical of these kids(working their way to manhood). And that if we can sit down and "maybe" find out why these kids make these decisions. Then there wouldn't be soooooo much speculation or just plain bad info(mainly assumptions voiced), that other piggyback off of. Which can be a snowball of crap about a kid that isn't warranted. Just saying.
Welcome to BN. This place is a great forum to chat Bobcat Athletics. There are a ton of knowledgeable posters here. But with that said, if you are family or a close friend, I wouldn't take anything that is said about Lonyatta to serious here. Honestly, if it were me and my son was on the team, I'd just not come here until he was done playing. :D

BobDals
New Recruit

Post by BobDals » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:36 pm

I understand wholeheartedly.
My feelings are always going to be that of what I've explained. Regardless of any athlete being my son or not.
I've made that mistake before. And had someone seek me out face to face. We are the best of friends now. But I understand why he did it. And I'd probably feel the way he did.

These kids(working to manhood) already have a lot on their plates, without us adding to it......or being hypercritical.

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:46 pm

The idea of an active player, family member, or close friend reading an antonymous forum like this makes me cringe. There isn't any accountability for what we say on here.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:13 pm

CatBot wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:46 pm
The idea of an active player, family member, or close friend reading an antonymous forum like this makes me cringe. There isn't any accountability for what we say on here.
:goodpost:

BobDals
New Recruit

Post by BobDals » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:59 am

@CodyCat
It's not like you or anyone else in here cared about that in particular when speaking about these kids(working to manhood)....right?
So be true to you and your word.
Don't cringe now, if there is no accountability on what you or anyone says.

BobDals
New Recruit

Post by BobDals » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:05 am

@CatBot
It's not like you or anyone else in here cared about that in particular when speaking about these kids(working to manhood)....right?
So be true to you and your word.
Don't cringe now, if there is no accountability on what you or anyone says.
My apologies @CodyCat for tagging you sir.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:03 am

BN would do well to remember that these players are people.
Family/friends would do well to realize that BN is a fan (short for fanatic) site.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:15 am

Not sure if this was ever posted. Alexander highlights start @ :50

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber