2023 signing day thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2023 signing day thread

Post by MSU01 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:52 pm

I must say I love the approach that Vigen and staff are taking to recruiting, with around a 50/50 split between Montana and out-of-state players and a very heavy emphasis on high school players (even the two transfers both have 3 years of eligibility). Coach Vigen made a great statement in his press conference today about emphasizing player development over quick fixes - I have a feeling MSU is in for a very long and sustained run of success if he sticks around and keeps up this approach.

nanacat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by nanacat » Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:34 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:52 pm
I must say I love the approach that Vigen and staff are taking to recruiting, with around a 50/50 split between Montana and out-of-state players and a very heavy emphasis on high school players (even the two transfers both have 3 years of eligibility). Coach Vigen made a great statement in his press conference today about emphasizing player development over quick fixes - I have a feeling MSU is in for a very long and sustained run of success if he sticks around and keeps up this approach.
I felt this way too after listening to his press conference. It really seems like developing players gives stability to the program over the long term, even if maturity needs a bit of time to develop. And, I imagine, builds team unity better, as guys spend a longer time getting to know each other and fighting the battles together. I sure do hope Coach Vigen stays a bit longer!

ND0479

Post by ND0479 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:08 am

nanacat wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:34 pm
MSU01 wrote:
I felt this way too after listening to his press conference. It really seems like developing players gives stability to the program over the long term, even if maturity needs a bit of time to develop. And, I imagine, builds team unity better, as guys spend a longer time getting to know each other and fighting the battles together. I sure do hope Coach Vigen stays a bit longer!
It’s a lot easier to take this approach when you have the level of success we had with such a young roster.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:51 am

Marsh and Solano combined for over 50 sacks and 70 TFL.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

KIX
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by KIX » Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:38 am

nanacat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Listened to the entire presser with Vigen. Can't say enough about how impressed I am with his vision for this program. Hope he stays around. He is a class act. Then on YouTube, I made the mistake of cueing up the next presser from Boobie and Justin Green...what a contrast!!

nanacat

Post by nanacat » Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:39 am

KIX wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:38 am
nanacat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Listened to the entire presser with Vigen. Can't say enough about how impressed I am with his vision for this program. Hope he stays around. He is a class act. Then on YouTube, I made the mistake of cueing up the next presser from Boobie and Justin Green...what a contrast!!
Really? What was their angle? Lol.

KIX
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by KIX » Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:59 am

nanacat wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:39 am
KIX wrote:
nanacat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
It was such a downer, I had to shut it off.

GRIZFNZ
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GRIZFNZ » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:33 am

nanacat wrote:
KIX wrote:
nanacat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Well, Bobby said we had a small graduating class and thus a smaller recruiting class. High school recruits are the foundation of the program and the portal will be used to fill in the gaps as needed. Coach Green spoke of how important it is to have well established relationships with high school coaches to assist in recruiting. Those relationships helped land players from Texas and Cali. He also emphasized that recruiting within the region is important as it allows parents to come watch their kids play.
Such awful comments to hear from a coaching staff. 😱

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:36 am

GRIZFNZ wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:33 am
nanacat wrote:
KIX wrote:
nanacat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Well, Bobby said we had a small graduating class and thus a smaller recruiting class. High school recruits are the foundation of the program and the portal will be used to fill in the gaps as needed. Coach Green spoke of how important it is to have well established relationships with high school coaches to assist in recruiting. Those relationships helped land players from Texas and Cali. He also emphasized that recruiting within the region is important as it allows parents to come watch their kids play.
I liked when someone asked how he'd describe the class and Bobby very plainly said "oh, I don't know...pretty normal"

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:57 am

Chance Wilson also had interest from Vanderbilt (SEC) and Georgia Tech (ACC).
Also wherever he is they have an IPF. If that's his high school that's pretty impressive.

https://twitter.com/okprepsextra/status ... vR_D6y-faQ

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:37 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:36 am
GRIZFNZ wrote:
nanacat wrote:
KIX wrote:
nanacat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
I liked when someone asked how he'd describe the class and Bobby very plainly said "oh, I don't know...pretty normal"
It’s so easy to be likable, and he just can’t do it.

KIX
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by KIX » Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:06 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:36 am
GRIZFNZ wrote:
nanacat wrote:
KIX wrote:
nanacat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
They both looked like they had just lost their best friend.

aucat

Post by aucat » Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:39 pm

I was watching this "nonstop local" sports coverage on TV and they said UM signed the highest rated player in UM history?
Say what? What the heck were they talking about? Did some five star decide to head for 40 below Montana to play football?

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:44 pm

aucat wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:39 pm
I was watching this "nonstop local" sports coverage on TV and they said UM signed the highest rated player in UM history?
Say what? What the heck were they talking about? Did some five star decide to head for 40 below Montana to play football?
Iverson Young has the highest ranking in UM history (as far as 247 rankings go back). Just barely higher ranked than Jesse Sims.

Seems like the really highly ranked ones rarely end up being as good as people think. At our level the star system is near meaningless.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:46 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:44 pm
aucat wrote:
Iverson Young has the highest ranking in UM history (as far as 247 rankings go back). Just barely higher ranked than Jesse Sims.

Seems like the really highly ranked ones rarely end up being as good as people think. At our level the star system is near meaningless.
I think he was the 2nd leading rusher on his hs team

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:56 pm

aucat wrote:
Sounds like a good get for the griz. They'll need a few more just like that if they want to compete with the Cats the next couple seasons.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:58 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:56 pm
aucat wrote:
Sounds like a good get for the griz. They'll need a few more just like that if they want to compete with the Cats the next couple seasons.
An an o-line that can block for him. #DOLA #RTD

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:12 pm

rivercat wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:58 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:56 pm
aucat wrote:
An an o-line that can block for him. #DOLA #RTD
A few over there are saying they need a QB and then comes the reply, who is going to block for them. They are not happy about their ol and the development of the ol... Not a joyful place to be.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

mule
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by mule » Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:57 am

Wow! The gris are a losing bunch with hawk in charge. They are a long way from being a championship group. It starts with a respectable head coach, and I do see that program in a decline.

One good thing is no one is going to coming knocking to take their head coach away from them. No one wants him and that is good for us. Lol

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:02 am

So the Bobcats signed a bunch of guys we should talk about instead, right?

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.