Transfer Portal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:07 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:44 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:33 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:50 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:46 am
aucat wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:27 am
Sometimes this portal appears to be such a joke. Take a look at this article about this guy about to head to his FOURTH school. How can you maintain any academic credibility? What's your major? Travel agent? Bus Driving? Anyway, NonStop Local News last night made a big deal about UM picking up FIVE transfers from FBS schools, including the QB from Boise State. Not the way to build or maintain a program IMO.

https://sports.yahoo.com/former-alabama ... 50166.html
I know. I can’t believe that schools are bringing in transfers.

Who would want, or need, players like Chambers, Sterk, Manning, Webb, Thomas (Clevan and Joey), Stewart, etc, etc.

There should be a limit as to how much one can transfer and still play immediately, but I’m not going to trash kids who want to go somewhere to play more, or at a higher level. MSU has brought in lots of transfers before too, and in general, it has worked out well. Every major program does it. So when you say it’s no way to build or maintain a program, literally every major college coach disagrees with you. Saban does it. Kirby Smart does it. Dabo does it. Maintaining and building a program is about adding talent. Do it however you have to.
Decent argument with one exception. Kirby did not add any kids via the portal. Doesn't really need to.

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/aro ... QE3XUHN6Y/
Their starting QB transferred to Georgia from JUCO.
Bennett started his career at Georgia, transferred to JUCO, then transferred back to Georgia.
Yes? He still transferred in to Georgia.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:08 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:01 pm
cats2506 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:56 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:44 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:33 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:50 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:46 am
aucat wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:27 am
Sometimes this portal appears to be such a joke. Take a look at this article about this guy about to head to his FOURTH school. How can you maintain any academic credibility? What's your major? Travel agent? Bus Driving? Anyway, NonStop Local News last night made a big deal about UM picking up FIVE transfers from FBS schools, including the QB from Boise State. Not the way to build or maintain a program IMO.

https://sports.yahoo.com/former-alabama ... 50166.html
I know. I can’t believe that schools are bringing in transfers.

Who would want, or need, players like Chambers, Sterk, Manning, Webb, Thomas (Clevan and Joey), Stewart, etc, etc.

There should be a limit as to how much one can transfer and still play immediately, but I’m not going to trash kids who want to go somewhere to play more, or at a higher level. MSU has brought in lots of transfers before too, and in general, it has worked out well. Every major program does it. So when you say it’s no way to build or maintain a program, literally every major college coach disagrees with you. Saban does it. Kirby Smart does it. Dabo does it. Maintaining and building a program is about adding talent. Do it however you have to.
Decent argument with one exception. Kirby did not add any kids via the portal. Doesn't really need to.

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/aro ... QE3XUHN6Y/
Their starting QB transferred to Georgia from JUCO.
Bennett started his career at Georgia, transferred to JUCO, then transferred back to Georgia.
Still used the transfer portal to do it. :roll:
Do non-NCAA schools use the transfer portal? I wouldn't think so, but honestly don't know.
Transfer, transfer portal, it’s essentially the same thing.

But to answer your question, no, going from Juco to a 4 year school does not require you to enter the portal.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:29 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:29 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:23 pm
Ah yes, "cancel culture" caused the Utah state legislature to overwhelmingly vote in favor of the name change and then the governor to sign off on it.

Is the cancel culture the same as being woke? Or are they on the other side? All I know is the woke crowd are just like the hippies back in the day.
It's a moving target that you can use to fit whatever narrative you want. Haha

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:07 am

MSU01 wrote:
Ah yes, "cancel culture" caused the Utah state legislature to overwhelmingly vote in favor of the name change and then the governor to sign off on it.
In a round about way, cancel culture did influence the name change. People were concerned that students would quit enrolling because of the name of the school. As a result, the legislature voted to change the name. It is not that hard to reach that conclusion.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:36 am

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:07 am
MSU01 wrote:
In a round about way, cancel culture did influence the name change. People were concerned that students would quit enrolling because of the name of the school. As a result, the legislature voted to change the name. It is not that hard to reach that conclusion.
They weren't just concerned, they did a survey of students and alumni and some reported experiencing problems and confusion due to the name of the school. Particularly when dealing with potential employers outside the region that didn't understand the regional significance of the "Dixie" name.

Mainly I think it's dumb in this case to throw around the term "cancel culture". In this case the name change process was very thorough, good reasons that had an impact on the school and its students were identified in favor of changing the name, and ultimately the process involved approval by several political bodies and people who in the state of Utah most definitely are not Democrats or liberals - usually the groups accused of "canceling" things or people they disagree with.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:37 am

Personally I'm glad they changed the name. Now I know they are from Utah. Weber needs the same treatment. The name should at least be where they are from. I'm confused by Portland, okay let's change them too.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:43 am

ND0479 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:44 pm
Here's a new one! Bold move, Cotton.

Not that tough to imagine. You can do the same thing and win a seat in Congress!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:40 am

North Dakota State is losing a couple more key players to the NCAA transfer portal. Starting cornerback Courtney Eubanks and backup safety Dom Jones have left the team with the hope of finding an FBS destination, sources told The Forum.
https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-me ... fer-portal

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:53 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:40 am
North Dakota State is losing a couple more key players to the NCAA transfer portal. Starting cornerback Courtney Eubanks and backup safety Dom Jones have left the team with the hope of finding an FBS destination, sources told The Forum.
These are not depth players. These were most likely starters this fall. I said it in the top 10 thread but the Bison will lose a couple FCS games, have to go on the road in the playoffs and don't return to Frisco. While they will be still be very good and have some good young talent its hard not think they have finally come back to the pack. They aren't flush with NFL talent like they've been.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:07 am

The Butcher wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:43 am
ND0479 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:44 pm
Here's a new one! Bold move, Cotton.

Not that tough to imagine. You can do the same thing and win a seat in Congress!

LOL truth!

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:52 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:53 am
Hawks86 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:40 am
These are not depth players. These were most likely starters this fall. I said it in the top 10 thread but the Bison will lose a couple FCS games, have to go on the road in the playoffs and don't return to Frisco. While they will be still be very good and have some good young talent its hard not think they have finally come back to the pack. They aren't flush with NFL talent like they've been.
This Eubanks guy is a slacker, a total piker.. I know of a guy with over 200 tackles.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

1984champ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984champ » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:29 pm

Follow
Lonyatta
@LonyattaJr
WR at Montana State University

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:47 pm

1984champ wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:29 pm
Follow
Lonyatta
@LonyattaJr
I had heard he was possibly coming. Glad he made it. Definitely some big time potential on the outside.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:29 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:47 pm
1984champ wrote:
Follow
Lonyatta
@LonyattaJr
I had heard he was possibly coming. Glad he made it. Definitely some big time potential on the outside.
I know the coaches know what they need but I’d really like to see some more transfer commits on defense.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:31 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:29 pm
wbtfg wrote:
1984champ wrote:
Follow
Lonyatta
@LonyattaJr
I know the coaches know what they need but I’d really like to see some more transfer commits on defense.
Agree.

1984champ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984champ » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:14 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:31 pm
AFCAT wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
1984champ wrote:
Follow
Lonyatta
@LonyattaJr
Agree.
If you listen to R&R podcast, I was shocked at our national ranking for some of the defensive stats. Red zone defense and 3rd down completions were near the worst of like 126 teams or so. Passing yards were middle of the pack. Better players will help but the coaching has to improve. Seems like they are committed to the scheme so it needs to be coached and executed better. I would hope that Vigen is aware of these stats. I don’t see how anyone could look a those numbers and not want to find some answers. Any more news on Garza? If he is here next season should we have any expectation that he will be able to show improvement on defensive performance?

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:02 pm

1984champ wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:14 pm
wbtfg wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
1984champ wrote:
Follow
Lonyatta
@LonyattaJr
Agree.
If you listen to R&R podcast, I was shocked at our national ranking for some of the defensive stats. Red zone defense and 3rd down completions were near the worst of like 126 teams or so. Passing yards were middle of the pack. Better players will help but the coaching has to improve. Seems like they are committed to the scheme so it needs to be coached and executed better. I would hope that Vigen is aware of these stats. I don’t see how anyone could look a those numbers and not want to find some answers. Any more news on Garza? If he is here next season should we have any expectation that he will be able to show improvement on defensive performance?
Are you suggesting I'm not a loyal listener to the R&R Catcast? :coffee:

1984champ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984champ » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:17 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:02 pm
1984champ wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:14 pm
wbtfg wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
1984champ wrote:
Follow
Lonyatta
@LonyattaJr
Agree.
Are you suggesting I'm not a loyal listener to the R&R Catcast? :coffee:
No. I phrased that incorrectly. I should have said “For those who listen”.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:05 am

ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:24 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:58 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:12 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:20 pm
Saw a Twitter tweet today from Clevan Thomas:

News about my future coming soon.
I thought I had heard he was coming back, hopefully this confirms it.

Getting him back would be huge!
Taco can do everything he can plus return punts. Not worried about him leaving one bit.
Randomly saw Taco running the street while driving on Rimrock Sunday. His jog is my sprint.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:46 am

Not sure if posted yet - but former NAU QB RJ Martinez committed to Baylor.

https://twitter.com/rj2martinez/status ... 477140483