Transfer Portal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

nanacat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Transfer Portal

Post by nanacat » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:29 pm

We know about Knight, wouldn't surprise me if a few more from gris land bale. Read that NDSU lost 3, and it sounds like they weren't 2nd or 3rd stringers either.

So happy to hear about Ifanse, but will that news push anyone out?

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by AFCAT » Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:09 pm

nanacat wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:29 pm
We know about Knight, wouldn't surprise me if a few more from gris land bale. Read that NDSU lost 3, and it sounds like they weren't 2nd or 3rd stringers either.

I think it will. I hope it’s not Elliott. He has saved this team more than a few times this season. I expect to lose at least one out of the QB room too.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:45 am

I would expect most of the Idaho state team to enter the portal. As the coach basically said that nobody is welcome back, haha. Anyone from that team worth picking up?

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Prodigal Cat

Post by Prodigal Cat » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:28 am

Except I think he has some legal issues
mslacatfan wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:45 am
I would expect most of the Idaho state team to enter the portal. As the coach basically said that nobody is welcome back, haha. Anyone from that team worth picking up?
Except I think he has some legal troubles(DUI), the WR X Guillory would make a great Bobcat and fill a need.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:35 am

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:28 am
mslacatfan wrote:
Except I think he has some legal troubles(DUI), the WR X Guillory would make a great Bobcat and fill a need.
Sounds like a toxic culture over there. Would have to be the right kid.

As an aside. Didn't we have a db transfer over there?

Prodigal Cat

Post by Prodigal Cat » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:38 am

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:35 am
Prodigal Cat wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:28 am
mslacatfan wrote:
Sounds like a toxic culture over there. Would have to be the right kid.

As an aside. Didn't we have a db transfer over there?
Bohannon. I’m pretty sure our locker room culture is rock solid and a selfish guy wouldn’t be tolerated.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:39 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Didn't Charlie Ragle interview for the MSU job? Thank God that didn't happen!

Prodigal Cat

Post by Prodigal Cat » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:42 am

91catAlum wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:39 am
mslacatfan wrote:
Didn't Charlie Ragle interview for the MSU job? Thank God that didn't happen!
He was rumored to be in the mix but after reading this article from Sam Herder you wonder how serious it was. Sounds like the names bantered weren’t really being considered

https://herosports.com/fcs-football-bre ... tate-bzbz/

sdsyvie
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by sdsyvie » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:48 am

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:09 pm
nanacat wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:29 pm

I think it will. I hope it’s not Elliott. He has saved this team more than a few times this season. I expect to lose at least one out of the QB room too.
I don't see either Elliott or Coon as mentioned by someone in a previous post transferring. As seen this year anything can happen in that room with injuries. And Elliott even after solid time last year, was OK starting as fifth string this year.

When culture is strong, being a part of something greater usually outweighs being the top dog in my opinion.

*valid concerns of course 😁

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:01 am

I think it's fair to expect at least 5 kids entering the transfer portal every year regardless of team success and culture. The transfer portal system gives kids an opportunity for more playing time elsewhere and still be greatful for the opportunity at their prior school. I mean we have quite the logjam at Oline and RB right now so I would not be surprised if Elliot goes to a new school to be THE GUY.

Projected RB Depth - 2023

Ifanse
Sumner
White
Elliot
Coon

(Insert true freshman here)

Projected OL Depth - 2023

LT - Reimer, Fleischmann, Moore
LG - Reed, Omar, Richards
C - Perkins, Sampson
RG - Sain, Omar, Richards
RT - Wehr, Kettles, Fleischmann, Moore

Sain will be the lone senior as Joey McElroy is graduating this year. We have a logjam at tackle so if Rush were to get poached, we have plenty of talent ready to roll as Titan, Jacob, Marcus, or Conner can all play LT. Once Sain graduates, I truly believe Marcus Wehr could be an All-American guard so sliding him down would provide opportunity for Kettles to take over RT. But then what do you do with Omar? Omar, Flesichmann, Richards, and Moore are freshman with Moore playing this year and still maintaining his redshirt. You have Burke Mastel, Bear Old, and Tommy Nilsson all redshirting. You are bringing in Everett Carr, Zac Nyland, and Jon Lohmann. They certainly could all stay...but a group full of sophomores and freshmen will likely produce one to try and lock down a starting spot elsewhere.
Last edited by VimSince03 on Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:08 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:01 am
I think it's fair to expect at least 5 kids entering the transfer portal every year regardless of team success and culture. The transfer portal system gives kids an opportunity for more playing time elsewhere and still be greatful for the opportunity at their prior school. I mean we have quite the logjam at Oline and RB right now so I would not be surprised if Elliot goes to a new school to be THE GUY.

Ifanse
Sumner
White
Elliot
Coon

LG - Reed, Omar
C - Perkins, Sampson
RG - Sain, Omar

Sain will be the lone senior as Joey McElroy is graduating this year. We have a logjam at tackle so if Rush were to get poached, we have plenty of talent ready to roll as Titan, Jacob, Marcus, or Conner can all play LT. Omar, Flesichmann, and Moore are freshman with Moore playing this year and still maintaining his redshirt. You have Burke Mastel, Bear Old, and Tommy Nilsson all redshirting. You are bringing in Everett Carr, Zac Nyland, and Jon Lohmann. They certainly could all stay...but a group full of sophomores and freshmen will likely produce one to try and lock down a starting spot elsewhere.
The next step in culture at Montana State needs to be patience. Hopefully quality players in depth determine that they can stay with opportunities to play when games fall a certain way and eventually be part of a national contender.
That being said I am sure we will have some attrition hopefully it is minimal and the quality depth players that stay have a rewarding experience

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:14 am

If oline coach stays I don't see anybody leaving voluntarily. As always with offensive lineman, one or two a year retire for medical or other reasons. I think they saw that they next man up work for them and they're all going to stay here and they're going to keep playing.
Running backs I don't know, we ran through so many this year I think they stay. The problem is going to be is how many scholarships do we have and who's going to stay as a non-scholi.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:30 am

kwcat wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:08 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:01 am

Ifanse
Sumner
White
Elliot
Coon

LG - Reed, Omar
C - Perkins, Sampson
RG - Sain, Omar

Sain will be the lone senior as Joey McElroy is graduating this year. We have a logjam at tackle so if Rush were to get poached, we have plenty of talent ready to roll as Titan, Jacob, Marcus, or Conner can all play LT. Omar, Flesichmann, and Moore are freshman with Moore playing this year and still maintaining his redshirt. You have Burke Mastel, Bear Old, and Tommy Nilsson all redshirting. You are bringing in Everett Carr, Zac Nyland, and Jon Lohmann. They certainly could all stay...but a group full of sophomores and freshmen will likely produce one to try and lock down a starting spot elsewhere.
The next step in culture at Montana State needs to be patience. Hopefully quality players in depth determine that they can stay with opportunities to play when games fall a certain way and eventually be part of a national contender.
That being said I am sure we will have some attrition hopefully it is minimal and the quality depth players that stay have a rewarding experience
I think as fans it's selfish of us to preach patience to kids who do their jobs and everything else right but still can't beat out the better player and the players ahead are either the same class or younger. Now, if Elliot stays he'll likely have a good chance to beat out Jared White and be the 3rd guy next year and Sumner will likely get dinged up so the backfield could look like 2021 in 2023. But if Elliot goes to Vigen and says he knows Ifanse and Sumner are better and wants a shot to roll at another school, Brent would grant him that opportunity in a heartbeat. Remember, coaching staffs recruit to replace and challenge every kid on the roster. For example, if we were to lose three of our Oline to the transfer portal next year, I still think we lead the league in rushing.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:38 am

Sumner has been here a while. With his injuries could see him graduating and being done

Sports is not bigger than life

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:39 am

Montanabob wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:14 am
If oline coach stays I don't see anybody leaving voluntarily. As always with offensive lineman, one or two a year retire for medical or other reasons. I think they saw that they next man up work for them and they're all going to stay here and they're going to keep playing.
Running backs I don't know, we ran through so many this year I think they stay. The problem is going to be is how many scholarships do we have and who's going to stay as a non-scholi.
Not sure I would make the statement on “OLine Coach stays… and linemen stay”. I’m just thinking of two great guys who moved on to opportunities at the next level even with the solid program we have….Connor Wood (Missouri) and TJ Sessions (Cal)…I suspect like many, when those two announced they were transferring it sent some angst into my OLine thinking. But Coach Armstrong keeps building anew!

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:40 am

How have those two done, I know early Wood was starting

Sports is not bigger than life

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:41 am

tetoncat wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:38 am
Sumner has been here a while. With his injuries could see him graduating and being done
This is also a possibility. There are only so many injuries a kid can take.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:53 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:39 am
Montanabob wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:14 am
Not sure I would make the statement on “OLine Coach stays… and linemen stay”. I’m just thinking of two great guys who moved on to opportunities at the next level even with the solid program we have….Connor Wood (Missouri) and TJ Sessions (Cal)…I suspect like many, when those two announced they were transferring it sent some angst into my OLine thinking. But Coach Armstrong keeps building anew!
Those two were fbs ready when they got here. I think these guys stay

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:01 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:41 am
tetoncat wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:38 am
This is also a possibility. There are only so many injuries a kid can take.
I agree, but man when he's healthy he is so friggin good. I'd think he's want to try one more shot at a fully year of staying healthy and running the rock.

Plus..... I don't know if anyone KNOW that Ifanse is for sure coming back? I think indications are good that he is. Let's say he comes out and absolutely crushes it through four games......

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:19 pm

I think the best FCS programs are going to be those that keep their elite players unless they have the opportunity to play in the SEC; an top program in the ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, or Pac-12; an elite academic university; or close to home.

The exposure you get anywhere else really isn't better than the best of the FCS and you risk playing time.

With respect to lower on the depth chart, I think that transfers in >> transfers out.