Offseason Random Stuff - 2022

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Re: Offseason Random Stuff - 2022

Post by CodyCat » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:06 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:53 am
If the argument is that the facilities make the coach, then I hope those same people are willing to say that Choate and Vigen aren’t good coaches either. There’s no doubt that facilities make a huge impact on recruiting and training, but cmon. The logic being employed is here is neither good or consistent. Also, quit making me defend Bobby. I hate it.
Facilities and money do matter. The big four from Montana and the Dakotas are light years above the mid tier FCS teams around the country. I see it as the same thing as Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia to the mid level FBS teams like Wyoming. Nick Saban isnt take Wyoming to the CFP, even if it expands.

Hating the griz since 02.

grizgirl
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by grizgirl » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:11 am

Has nothing to do with his ability, his w-l, the fans, or the boosters. He just doesn’t want to do it anymore.

PART of the reason he came back was to coach his son. His son is done after this year, but will definitely get a pro tryout.

PART of the reason he came back is because he thought winning would be easier. No league championship in three years, 1-2 vs MSU, 2-2 in playoffs. Even the win vs MSU isn’t that satisfying after the cats went to the championship game. So no fulfilling season in three years.

Go Dark Brandon!!

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:17 am

Montanabob wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:54 am
Prukop drops from 2nd to 3rd on the depth chart
https://3downnation.com/2022/06/10/bomb ... ing-drive/
Was out on the 6 weeks injured and comes back - has run 3 times and not passed at all this season.

Oh yeah, he is the holder for field goals. Winnipeg lost last night with two missed field goals. LACES OUT!!!!!

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:03 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:36 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:35 pm

For someone who’s not that good of a coach, he’s got a very good team. I hate to defend him, but I always call em like I see em, and Bobby is a dang good coach. Grade A prick too, and a media disaster, but the guy can coach football. And despite what some people like to think, the game hasn’t changed that much. Football is cyclical, people will attack whatever is easiest. As we see defenses go lighter and switch to defending the pass more, you’ll see a lot more diversified running attacks from offense. I’m getting off track though. Bobby is a good coach that will get to decide when he’s done. As for Jerome Sauers, why would the Gris hire him? They can do a lot better than him or Barnum. As much as I wish they weren’t, they’re still a nationally desired job. When that job is open, they’ll get excellent candidates.
I'm with you BB. You don't have the success he's had, even at UM, without being a pretty damn good coach. And old-school or not, his players seem to be willing to run through walls for him. I always respect that.
Don’t let anybody fool you, Bobby has players that can’t stand him. They lost an All American kicker last year who had nothing nice to say about him. I have also had plenty of discussions with former Gris players/families that say he is a total douche. They wouldn’t do it again with Bobby.

GeauxCats41
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GeauxCats41 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:06 am

https://herosports.com/fcs-football-202 ... ican-bzbz/

New account, wanted to steer this page off the BH topic so I can look at something else over the lunch break later... Sam herder is giving Ifanse (1st team) Okada (2nd team) and O’Reilly (3rd team) some love! Glad to see Okada and O’Reilly get some deserved recognition. We all know ifanse is the best RB in the country…

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:27 am

The Butcher wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:44 am
AFCAT wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:27 pm
083190 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:21 pm
Dennis Washington! His stadium opening mirrored Read's tenure and it was well ahead of next best in the west for I-AA. Over time more schools have invested in their facilities and programs and closed the gap. When the coaches mentioned moved on, they didn't have the resource advantage they had at that time in Missoula. Just like the FBS conference realignments, it's all about the money!
I also think that's a huge reason for their success....money. Money makes a lot of their coaches look brilliant.
NDSU coaches haven't done anything earth shattering either. Maybe not quite so bad, but they certainly haven't had nearly the success at the FBS level:
Klieman NDSU 69-6 (4 national championships) 5 seasons
Kansas State 20-16 (bowls 1-1) 3 seasons
Bohl NDSU 104-32 (3 national championships) 6 seasons
Wyoming 45-50 (bowls 3-1) 8 seasons
I wanted to say this but was too lazy to do the research to back it up. NDSU is a system at this point. Yes those coaches helped build it or progress it but winning is a lot easier when you are coaching at the top dog program in every single facet - facilities, money, tradition. Throw in the fact that they almost hire from within, which is great until you realize you've been coaching in the exact same system for 10-15 years and now it's all you know and it doesn't necessarily translate to another program.

In reality, how many FCS coaches have made a successful jump to being a HC in the FBS? I don't think it's a long list, but the list of coaches you bombed in the FBS from the FCS is pretty big.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:33 am

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:03 am
ilovethecats wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

For someone who’s not that good of a coach, he’s got a very good team. I hate to defend him, but I always call em like I see em, and Bobby is a dang good coach. Grade A prick too, and a media disaster, but the guy can coach football. And despite what some people like to think, the game hasn’t changed that much. Football is cyclical, people will attack whatever is easiest. As we see defenses go lighter and switch to defending the pass more, you’ll see a lot more diversified running attacks from offense. I’m getting off track though. Bobby is a good coach that will get to decide when he’s done. As for Jerome Sauers, why would the Gris hire him? They can do a lot better than him or Barnum. As much as I wish they weren’t, they’re still a nationally desired job. When that job is open, they’ll get excellent candidates.
I'm with you BB. You don't have the success he's had, even at UM, without being a pretty damn good coach. And old-school or not, his players seem to be willing to run through walls for him. I always respect that.
Don’t let anybody fool you, Bobby has players that can’t stand him. They lost an All American kicker last year who had nothing nice to say about him. I have also had plenty of discussions with former Gris players/families that say he is a total douche. They wouldn’t do it again with Bobby.
There’s not a coach alive who doesn’t have players who can’t stand him. There’s 100+ players out there, of course there are some who don’t like the coach. I knew a lot of players who hated Rob Ash, and he was mild mannered as can be. I have no doubts that Hauck is a douche, but I think it’s pretty obvious most of that team doesn’t hate him.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:49 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:33 am
Cataholic wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

There’s not a coach alive who doesn’t have players who can’t stand him. There’s 100+ players out there, of course there are some who don’t like the coach. I knew a lot of players who hated Rob Ash, and he was mild mannered as can be. I have no doubts that Hauck is a douche, but I think it’s pretty obvious most of that team doesn’t hate him.
Ya, this. I've talked to guys that played for him and some of them have said they hate him, he's a total prick, he rules with an iron fist..... and you better not cross him. That said, they said he is a damn good coach and players are either in or out. If in, he does know how to get every last bit out of his players.

If people think this year's Griz team is just ho-hum average, playoff bubble team, I think you better brace yourselves. I think they might have some question marks on offense but unfortunately I think they are going to be rock solid on defense, I'm hoping Cat D will be slightly better but we'll see. They might have two losses heading into Cat\Griz but I'm guessing they'll probably have one. I predict the winner of that game make it to Frisco, i.e. loses to the Beezons.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:37 pm

The griz are going to be good. I have them finishing 9-2 (6-2 in conference) with losses at Sac and at MSU. Although chances are they split that putting them 10-1(7-1). I have the Cats 9-2 (7-1) in conference with a loss either against EWU (eagles will be desperate for that win) or Weber at home and Oregon State out of conf. This assumes we beat the griz at home as well. I wouldn't be surprised to have the Cats with 2 conference losses moving us to 8-3 (6-2). Using my algorithm based on the preseason media poll, I had the griz with the 9th easiest conference schedule and the cats with the 10 easiest schedule. I have Sac at 8-3 (6-2) with losses at Colorado State, to Montana and Weber. Sac could easily split the Montana/Weber moving them to 9-2 (7-1). Sac has the 8th easiest conference schedule.

In short, this is the predictive upper tier of the Big Sky.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:53 am

Cataholic wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

Not fooled my friend. Every coach in every sport at every level will have players that love him and hate him. I understand this. But I know enough former players to believe that overall, his guys love him. I love crapping on the griz as much as the next guy, but at least from my perspective one thing I won’t talk trash about is the way Bobby’s guys talk about him and want to play for him.

But yes, you’re correct in he’s probably had some kids over the years that didn’t care for him

grizgirl

Post by grizgirl » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:54 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:53 am
Cataholic wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

Not fooled my friend. Every coach in every sport at every level will have players that love him and hate him. I understand this. But I know enough former players to believe that overall, his guys love him. I love crapping on the griz as much as the next guy, but at least from my perspective one thing I won’t talk trash about is the way Bobby’s guys talk about him and want to play for him.

But yes, you’re correct in he’s probably had some kids over the years that didn’t care for him
He’s by far the least well-liked coach by the players we’ve had in my lifetime. I can’t give you a percentage, but the player dislike is almost palpable. That has never been the case with any other coach dating back to Read.

Of course, many of his players like him. When you get recruited, you like the head coach. He tells you everything you want to hear. Typically, he has some things in common with you.

After awhile, if you fall out of favor, you play more for your teammates. We have a lot of things at UM and in Missoula to like to keep our players satisfied.

Regardless of all that he will probably quit on his own after this year. He absolutely adores his son and he’s a big family man. He isn’t enjoying coaching.

Go Dark Brandon!!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:58 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:53 am
Cataholic wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

All a fair point. There just seems to be an abnormally high number of past players that don’t like Bobby. But that could be because I am a Cat fan willing to lend a compassionate ear to someone who can’t stand Bobby. The real test will be player departures in todays era of the portal. It has become very easy to “find a better fit” with the portal. We shall see - assuming Bobby coaches for many more years.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:01 am

Can we please talk about the Cats.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:01 pm

imacat wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:01 am
To be fair this is the random thread. The fishing chat mucking up the fall camp thread is way more obnoxious.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

MSU Toddler
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSU Toddler » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:33 pm

imacat wrote:
Couldn’t agree more!

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:05 pm

I haven't seen much chatter about the safety transfer from Arizona. Rhedi Short. I hear he looks very good. Started all five games in the shortened 2020 season, but appears to have been a backup last year.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:17 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:01 pm
imacat wrote:
To be fair this is the random thread. The fishing chat mucking up the fall camp thread is way more obnoxious.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:57 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:05 pm
I haven't seen much chatter about the safety transfer from Arizona. Rhedi Short. I hear he looks very good. Started all five games in the shortened 2020 season, but appears to have been a backup last year.
I’m hoping it’s a similar situation to Webb last year…. Came in from the pac 12, nobody seemed to talk about him at all, then becomes a starter and all big sky, and then goes to the Falcons.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

ND0479

Post by ND0479 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:08 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:05 pm
https://twitter.com/skylinesportsmt/sta ... 3IHy-VHlXA

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:17 pm

Sorry if this has been posted already.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p la ... ></script>