Big 10 is Back-- how about the Big Sky

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Steve Steverson
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: Big 10 is Back-- how about the Big Sky

Post by Steve Steverson » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:44 am

Looking at the negative side of things without really knowing costs is how nothing gets done. Supposedly part of the reason the Big 10 is back is due to new or better tests at cheaper prices verses when their decision was originally made. So if that’s true, then playing 1-3 games this fall in a out of conf type mode may be doable. Why rule it out, seems like more research on someone’s part is in order. That’s all. Let’s give it a shot.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:41 am

Steve Steverson wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:28 pm
Door is open a crack for a game or two this fall at MSU. Come on Choate, kick it open.
I don’t see the point of playing one or two games just for the sake of playing. Fans either won’t be allowed or will be a fraction of a usual game, players would have to train for only one or two games that mean nothing ... how does that make any sense financially?
Last edited by PapaG on Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

NOCOcat2005
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by NOCOcat2005 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:16 pm

This maybe outside the box thinking, but why doesn't all the schools in the Big Sky that want to play just move to the Mountain West for this season? Make it a super conference and see what happens. Also, if it costs $500K for testing I'm guessing MSU has a donor happy to cover that expense, just a thought! GO CATS

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:09 pm

PapaG wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:41 am
Steve Steverson wrote:
Door is open a crack for a game or two this fall at MSU. Come on Choate, kick it open.
I don’t see the point of players my one or two games just for the sake of playing. Fans either won’t be allowed or will be a fraction of a usual game, players would have to train for only one or two games that mean nothing ... how does that make any sense financially?
A big part of it is so that MSU can have more practice hours. Choate praised what NDSU is doing, by scheduling one game they are now allowed to practice more because of it.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:45 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:09 pm
PapaG wrote:
Steve Steverson wrote:
I don’t see the point of players my one or two games just for the sake of playing. Fans either won’t be allowed or will be a fraction of a usual game, players would have to train for only one or two games that mean nothing ... how does that make any sense financially?
A big part of it is so that MSU can have more practice hours. Choate praised what NDSU is doing, by scheduling one game they are now allowed to practice more because of it.
Aren’t there still limitations on how many practices a team can have in a year? Or is that rule just not being enforced and teams can practice fully in fall and spring, plus games. Seems to be about as consistent as the weekly Covid changes that apparently happen on a whim. Either Covid is bad and players shouldn’t practice or play, or it isn’t. Seems simple to me.
Last edited by PapaG on Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:28 pm

PapaG wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:45 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:09 pm
PapaG wrote:
Steve Steverson wrote:
Aren’t there still limitations on how many practices a team can have in a year? Or is that rule just not being enforced and teams can practice fully in cal and spring, plus games. Seems to be about as consistent as the weekly Covid changes that apparently happen on a whim. Either Covid is bad and players shouldn’t Prato e or play, or it isn’t. Seems simple to me.
Different places with different severities of outbreaks and differing political ideologies. Personally, I think it makes sense to set metrics & when those metrics are reached, then you loosen up restrictions.

i.e. Its essentially what the White House guidance said back in April (i.e. show 2 weeks of sustained decline, then take the next step in allowing more human contact), but has been completely ignored since.

Now, most of it is driven by political ideology instead of things like player and/or community safety.

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:20 pm

Well the university of missoula football team will not be practicing for the next 2 weeks as the entire team is now under quarantine. This is not public information to my knowledge as of yet, but word will get around. When something like this happens you can almost always point the finger at whoever is in the leadership positions for failure to adhere to known or newly established protocols.

:coffee:

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:06 pm

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:20 pm
Well the university of missoula football team will not be practicing for the next 2 weeks as the entire team is now under quarantine. This is not public information to my knowledge as of yet, but word will get around. When something like this happens you can almost always point the finger at whoever is in the leadership positions for failure to adhere to known or newly established protocols.

What better way to get ready for spring ball! Get all the athletes in a room, bring in the cheerleader most likely to kiss (who now must have Covid -19) and give kisses, cough on each other and group hugs for two hours! After two weeks in quarantine, no one gets sick in the spring. Hauck is betting the farm.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:14 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:06 pm
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:20 pm

What better way to get ready for spring ball! Get all the athletes in a room, bring in the cheerleader most likely to kiss (who now must have Covid -19) and give kisses, cough on each other and group hugs for two hours! After two weeks in quarantine, no one gets sick in the spring. Hauck is betting the farm.
The LSU model.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:37 pm

The Big 10 has a big TV contract I assume, so they can play games without fans and still pay for the season. FCS teams don't have that luxury.

Also Choate is worried about teams like NDSU getting into football shape much more than us because they play that one game and have an indoor facility to.practice for spring. I would just as well see us wait until Fall 2021 to have everyone start even.

2024 Resume dominance

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by St George » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:35 am

The Butcher wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:16 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:22 am
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:09 am
CelticCat wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:10 pm
catatac wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:31 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:49 am
The Big Sky is not going to bring back the conference season this year, period. None of the financial and logistical challenges for testing have changed.

Now, the Big Sky may reverse their decision on letting schools play some OOC games this fall, in which maybe a school like MSU would go the route of NDSU and play a game, maybe two. And maybe some schools like UNC might try and get a money game from an FBS school.

But it's already been determined the championship is in the spring, so there isn't going to be a full conference schedule in the fall, because that would basically mean opting the entirety of the Big Sky out of the spring playoffs, unless somehow the fall games would count towards playoff eligibility.
I'll say it again... this ain't happening.
I don't think it is either, but most schools who have playoff hopes aren't going to take the chance that there won't be a spring playoff, and play a full slate this fall.

Unfortunately the scenario I think is most likely to play out is that we won't see a Bobcat football game until fall 2021.
You are the worst.

…..but your post is spot on. No bobcat football until the fall of 2021 is what I'm thinking too. Absolutely no way we are in any better shape in the spring unless the vaccine is mass produced on an unbelievable scale.
This is the part a lot of people gloss over or just don't think about. Sure, it's possible that there's a vaccine by MLK Day or Presidents Day. That doesn't mean it's going to be produced on a large enough scale that it will be made available to FCS football teams or that it will be any cheaper than the current tests that are available. Making the vaccine available to the general population that would want to go to an outdoor football game in Bozeman in the first weekend of March is even more unrealistic.
Yep- the head of the CDC said 2nd quarter of 3rd quarter of 2021 for a vaccine. MSU isn't playing football until fall 2021 at the soonest.
And why is it people that get the seasonal flu shot get the flu soon after. I wouldn't trust the vaccine or the CDC.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:49 am

Mountain West coming back?

https://www.idahopress.com/blueturfspor ... c05fc.html

Pac-12 likely back?

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/09/17/ ... es-remain/

What does this mean for the Big Sky? I think it still makes way more sense to play 8 games this fall than 8 game next spring. If we start Oct 31 would be finished Dec 19. Then maybe an 8 team playoff. Even if no playoffs (maybe just a Big Sky championship game) I think it is much preferable to spring (really winter) season next year.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:35 am

St George wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:35 am
The Butcher wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
catatac wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
The Big Sky is not going to bring back the conference season this year, period. None of the financial and logistical challenges for testing have changed.

Now, the Big Sky may reverse their decision on letting schools play some OOC games this fall, in which maybe a school like MSU would go the route of NDSU and play a game, maybe two. And maybe some schools like UNC might try and get a money game from an FBS school.

But it's already been determined the championship is in the spring, so there isn't going to be a full conference schedule in the fall, because that would basically mean opting the entirety of the Big Sky out of the spring playoffs, unless somehow the fall games would count towards playoff eligibility.
I don't think it is either, but most schools who have playoff hopes aren't going to take the chance that there won't be a spring playoff, and play a full slate this fall.

Unfortunately the scenario I think is most likely to play out is that we won't see a Bobcat football game until fall 2021.
You are the worst.

…..but your post is spot on. No bobcat football until the fall of 2021 is what I'm thinking too. Absolutely no way we are in any better shape in the spring unless the vaccine is mass produced on an unbelievable scale.
This is the part a lot of people gloss over or just don't think about. Sure, it's possible that there's a vaccine by MLK Day or Presidents Day. That doesn't mean it's going to be produced on a large enough scale that it will be made available to FCS football teams or that it will be any cheaper than the current tests that are available. Making the vaccine available to the general population that would want to go to an outdoor football game in Bozeman in the first weekend of March is even more unrealistic.
Yep- the head of the CDC said 2nd quarter of 3rd quarter of 2021 for a vaccine. MSU isn't playing football until fall 2021 at the soonest.
And why is it people that get the seasonal flu shot get the flu soon after. I wouldn't trust the vaccine or the CDC.
Here ya go St. George, I hope this helps:

https://www.insider.com/can-you-still-g ... u%20season.
Even if you get your flu vaccine on time, it's not 100% effective. So there's still a chance you can get the flu even after you've been vaccinated.

That's because scientists don't always correctly match the viruses in the vaccine with those that pop up during the flu season. This is what's called a mismatch.

The CDC typically recommends that vaccine manufacturers include virus particles or weakened viruses that have been circulating in the Southern Hemisphere six months or so before the upcoming flu season in the Northern Hemisphere. However, what infects the Northern Hemisphere isn't always the same virus as what popped up in the Southern Hemisphere.

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:59 am

St George wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:35 am
The Butcher wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
catatac wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

You are the worst.

That’s because there are 144 combinations of InfluenzaA alone let alone factoring in InfluenzaB strains on top of it. Making a flu vaccine becomes a bit of a guessing game. Making a targeted vaccine for a very specific virus is night and day different and much more effective.

NOCOcat2005
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by NOCOcat2005 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:57 pm

Nothing says COVID-19 can't change as well, that's why we likely will be seeing outbreaks for years to come with adoptations to the vaccine! Wear a mask in public places, it's literally the least we can do. And likely just as effective as a vaccine If we all do it! This shouldn't be political, pro mask is pro business! Period

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:31 pm

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: I’m not sure why people would rather argue about Covid and then actually talk about football.

If both the Mountain West and the PAC 12 play, what are the chances that the Bobcats play football this season

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:39 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:31 pm
:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: I’m not sure why people would rather argue about Covid and then actually talk about football.

If both the Mountain West and the PAC 12 play, what are the chances that the Bobcats play football this season
Zilch. We can't afford the required testing and what conference do we belong to? The conference won't allow any members, as of today, to play. Do you think the Left Coast PAC 12 plays a game this year? Seriously. They're the same ones blaming all the damn forest fires on logging...

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:05 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:39 pm
Long Time Cat wrote:

Zilch. We can't afford the required testing and what conference do we belong to? The conference won't allow any members, as of today, to play. Do you think the Left Coast PAC 12 plays a game this year? Seriously. They're the same ones blaming all the damn forest fires on logging...
The PAC 12 is going to play. They will announce Thursday they are starting October 24th same as the Big Ten.

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:54 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:05 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:

The PAC 12 is going to play. They will announce Thursday they are starting October 24th same as the Big Ten.
And that still won't change the facts that we have no conference to play in nor the resources to protect the athletes without butts in the seats. Its a business decision.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:46 pm

thefrank1 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:54 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:05 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:

And that still won't change the facts that we have no conference to play in nor the resources to protect the athletes without butts in the seats. Its a business decision.
Agreed. No FCS schools can afford a season without fans. If there were large TV deals in place they could, but that's not the case. Just as it's all about the money in the FBS, it's all about the money in the FCS as well. Just the opposite way.