Cats #5 in Athlon Sports Top 25

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Cats #5 in Athlon Sports Top 25

Post by coachouert » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:22 am

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Re: Cats #5 in Athlon Sports Top 25

Post by Cledus » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:51 am

Haley has the 'Cats right about where I think they should be. Minor nit, I would put the 'Cats ahead of Weber but that doesn't mean I think MSU should be #3.

I think CSUS peaked last year after they beat the griz and just have looked dominant since. I think their ranking is about right.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:25 pm

Cledus wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:51 am
Haley has the 'Cats right about where I think they should be. Minor nit, I would put the 'Cats ahead of Weber but that doesn't mean I think MSU should be #3.

I think CSUS peaked last year after they beat the griz and just have looked dominant since. I think their ranking is about right.
This doesn't look dominant to me...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/b ... =401187314

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:04 am

McKay needs to be the real thing for a #5 ranking at the end of the year with this schedule.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:51 am

Our OL and RB’s alone can make this team win every single game this year. Controlling the clock and scoring points. Maybe the best group in the country. We know the defense will be good to great. QB can only be better, and by the way, Rovig was playing pretty damn good to end the season.

Top 5 team is pretty accurate imo. Even without having a dominant qb. And who knows, mckay might be that guy or rovig could take the next step, if that’s the case then top 3 team.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:30 am

I wouldn't put MSU ahead of either JMU or NDSU, but I'd have to consider this a #3 or #4 team. Andersen is out and MSU lost Sterk, Scrempos, Washington, Brott, Marks, Konkol, Henderson, Allenye, Jones, Kassis and Jonsen, so that's probably why people have MSU at #5 or lower and not winning the BSC. That and the perceived four toughest games all being on the road. However, the team has great depth. The graduated players all have a guy or two in the wings that are quality players. I predict no worse than an 8-3 record, which would mean a loss to Utah, along with two losses to some combo of EWU, WSU and UM.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:07 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:25 pm
Cledus wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:51 am

This doesn't look dominant to me...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/b ... =401187314
You're right. I meant to say they didn't look dominant after their win against um.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:33 pm

iaafan wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:30 am
I wouldn't put MSU ahead of either JMU or NDSU, but I'd have to consider this a #3 or #4 team. Andersen is out and MSU lost Sterk, Scrempos, Washington, Brott, Marks, Konkol, Henderson, Allenye, Jones, Kassis and Jonsen, so that's probably why people have MSU at #5 or lower and not winning the BSC. That and the perceived four toughest games all being on the road. However, the team has great depth. The graduated players all have a guy or two in the wings that are quality players. I predict no worse than an 8-3 record, which would mean a loss to Utah, along with two losses to some combo of EWU, WSU and UM.
Bite your tongue we go for the fivepeat.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:34 pm

iaafan wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:30 am
Seems reasonable but definitely need elevated play from either Rovig or McKay at QB. Schemes on both sides of the ball seem to be working outside of playing much better teams like NDSU.

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:37 pm

A lot of talent back from a team that made the national semifinals for the first time in 35 years. It’s easy to underrate the potential because it’s been such a long period of time since MSU legitimately has a full roster, and I expect QB play to be more consistent even with the losses of Kassis and Jonsen at WR.

What a ride

Catgotmytung
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Catgotmytung » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:28 pm

At least this poll has us above the maroon team which is deserving I would think. I'm hesitant to rate us too high because as noted above, we graduated a large group of players that were top talent in the FCS - I would include Josh Hill in that group also. While I'm optimistic we've got some talented players to step in, the loss of Anderson for the year, having to retool the defensive line and replacing the talented graduates will be a challenge but hopefully we're up to it. I think losing Kevin Kassis who was so productive on a non-passing team and had great hands will be felt - we do seem to have several good prospects so maybe someone will step up. It would be nice to take down Weber this year and win the Big Sky. I think Rovig proved that he's capable of leading this team - we'll see how the quarterback competition ends up. I'm glad we're in the conversation at #5. I liked having a Missouri Valley team on the schedule - none this year.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:15 am

Last year, the panic was outside um we hadn’t beaten a ranked team in forever. We went on to pummel SEMO. Then the next week the new Irrational fear was a road game. We gutted out a win over WIU and only had one other FCS road loss (a very narrow defeat at ND) until the playoffs. Then it was Rovig. And so on.

It seems like there’s always some new state of fear with this fan base.

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:51 am

Cledus wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:15 am
Last year, the panic was outside um we hadn’t beaten a ranked team in forever. We went on to pummel SEMO. Then the next week the new Irrational fear was a road game. We gutted out a win over WIU and only had one other FCS road loss (a very narrow defeat at ND) until the playoffs. Then it was Rovig. And so on.

It seems like there’s always some new state of fear with this fan base.
Agreed....appears to me, that Choate has this program in a position where it will be in the top ten conversation every year. The depth has improved at nearly all positions. We do lose some premier talent, but the pipeline is full. We need to enjoy the ride!