New Montana State OC

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

New Montana State OC

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:53 pm

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: New Montana State OC

Post by ibleedblue » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:17 pm

Alright? Has some potential I guess?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:41 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:17 pm
Sounds like a great hire. Heard Udy is very smart and aggressive. Can't wait for spring. I trust Jeff.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:44 pm

I love this hire. OC experience and coordinated some balanced attacks at SD School of Mines. The team set total offense records under his guidance. Being at TTU last year is a huge plus, especially since he was on the offensive side of the ball. Love it!

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:48 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:41 pm
ibleedblue wrote:
Sounds like a great hire. Heard Udy is very smart and aggressive. Can't wait for spring. I trust Jeff.
Agreed, trust Choate.

Learning under Wells at Tech is a great thing as well…interested to see what changes our offense has. Imagine our DNA stays the same … with running backs like we do its hard not to succeed.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:31 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:48 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
Agreed, trust Choate.

Learning under Wells at Tech is a great thing as well…interested to see what changes our offense has. Imagine our DNA stays the same … with running backs like we do its hard not to succeed.
Sources I talked described him as "rising star", "unbelievably prepared" and "a straight genius."

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:18 am

Well, like most I have no clue what this guy is about. It sounds like he will be a good fit and will do some positive things though. I really think we have a lot of talent on this offense that if used correctly, we could flat out dominate the Big Sky and the FCS.

Punters are people too!!

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:50 am

VimSince03 wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
Exactly! I have doubted Jeff many times only to be eating crow. Im done doubting the man. Im excited for the next chapter.

Hating the griz since 02.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:35 am

Bozcat003 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:48 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
Agreed, trust Choate.

Learning under Wells at Tech is a great thing as well…interested to see what changes our offense has. Imagine our DNA stays the same … with running backs AND offensive linemen like we do its hard not to succeed.
Fify

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:50 am

Sounds like he too went to “Finishing school”. IN CHOATE WE TRUST!!

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:47 am

His coaching career has taken him from Eastern Oregon to South Dakota School of Mines to Utah State to Texas Tech.

His previous OC experience was at the SD School of Mines. Here are the comments from his TTU profile:
Udy arrived at Utah State after spending the previous three seasons at South Dakota School of Mines where he was the Hardrockers’ offensive coordinator, recruiting coordinator and wide receivers coach the final two years of his tenure.

South Dakota School of Mines averaged 31.1 points per game and 448.7 yards of total average (248.4 passing, 200.3 rushing) during the 2017 season as one of the most balanced attacks in the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference. Running back Brandon LaBrie was tabbed the RMAC Freshman of the Year that season and earned second team All-RMAC honors as one of four all-conference performers for the Hardrockers.

During the 2016 campaign, South Dakota School of Mines set the school record for total offense in both a game (681 yards versus Black Hills State) and a season after racking up 5,486 yards. The Hardrockers also set the single-season marks for rushing yards (2,674) and points (415) under Udy’s direction. Udy’s offense, in all, set a total of seven school records during his time as coordinator.
One thing that immediately stands out to me-- a penchant for running the ball. Choate knows what he wants.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:48 am

Excited to see what he can do!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:58 am

Not going to lie, at first glance I'm a bit underwhelmed, but like others have said, in Choate we trust.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:07 am

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:58 am
Not going to lie, at first glance I'm a bit underwhelmed, but like others have said, in Choate we trust.
Out of curiosity, why underwhelmed?

Who/what were you expecting?

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:08 am

CelticCat wrote:
yep. To both points.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:22 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:07 am
CelticCat wrote:

Well as a reigning semi-finalist, back to back playoff years, likely a top 8 preseason rating, I would've expected someone with more than 2 recent years as an administrative assistant/quality control at FBS, and just 3 seasons total as an OC for a D2 team that was an NAIA team up until 2010. He has 8 total years of coaching experience, he graduated college in 2011. What I'm basically saying is we are big time in the world of FCS, I would have thought we would be in a position to have someone with more experience.

But I'm being genuine when I say I trust Choate. Dude must've killed it in his interview and references must've been glowing.

Cat4LifeHouseDivided
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat4LifeHouseDivided » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:28 am

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:22 am
bobcat99 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

Well as a reigning semi-finalist, back to back playoff years, likely a top 8 preseason rating, I would've expected someone with more than 2 recent years as an administrative assistant/quality control at FBS, and just 3 seasons total as an OC for a D2 team that was an NAIA team up until 2010. He has 8 total years of coaching experience, he graduated college in 2011. What I'm basically saying is we are big time in the world of FCS, I would have thought we would be in a position to have someone with more experience.

But I'm being genuine when I say I trust Choate. Dude must've killed it in his interview and references must've been glowing.
We are big in the world of FCS but what did you expect? We arent going to get FBS coordinators clearly. Our head coach was an FBS position coach, albeit with a ton of experience. We were either going to end up the FBS position coach/qc coach or a coordinator from an FCS program that isnt top tier. Tough to argue with this guy's resume given those facts.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:31 am

Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:28 am
CelticCat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

We are big in the world of FCS but what did you expect? We arent going to get FBS coordinators clearly. Our head coach was an FBS position coach, albeit with a ton of experience. We were either going to end up the FBS position coach/qc coach or a coordinator from an FCS program that isnt top tier. Tough to argue with this guy's resume given those facts.
Will also let you guys know that almost all of the applicants were in that FBS quality control category with a few exceptions (Erickson, Denarius, etc.). You almost have to go after "risers" for these positions because FBS swallows up everyone else.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:33 am

Well compare it the OC hire JMU made in 2018:

https://jmusports.com/sports/football/r ... omery/3074

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:37 am

CelticCat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

No, I totally understand.

I had originally hoped that we could get a position coach from an FBS school, but that's a pretty significant pay cut. I'd guess an OC here is making between $60k-$90k, which with the cost of Bozeman, isn't exceedingly great.

I'm honestly just happy we got somebody with play calling experience. I personally think for our level, he has a pretty good resume.

For the most part, football is football. Some of my favorite examples of this are guys like Mike Yurcic, Gus Malzahn, or closer to home, Troy Taylor. Look at Yurcic's resume! 3 years into his coaching career he became the OC at St. Francis (NAIA). 4 years later he's the OC at Edinboro (D2), then a few years later the OC at Shippensburg (D2). His next stop? OC at Oklahoma State. Then Ohio State. Now Texas, making almost $2 million a year. Prior to OK State his resume for an FBS school looked mediocre. But football is football, and calling plays is calling plays. Things change at every level with speed, size, etc, but good coaches make it work. Sean Gleeson is another good example. Mike Gundy doesn't care what level these guys coached at before, coaches can coach.

Udy has been coaching for 9-10 years now. He was an OC for 2 years, I think. He's got far more experience than our last OC. Has more experience calling plays than Kane Ioane before he became our DC. I really don't think the experience is an issue. At our level, we get young, upcoming coaches. I don't want old has beens.