way to early 2020 projected starters?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

way to early 2020 projected starters?

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:01 pm

The defense is a bit more of a question mark, if anyone wants to take a stab at that... but looking at the offense below,

Offense: (*** previous starters)
LT: Connor Wood***
LG: Taylor Tuiasosopo***
Center: Zack Redd***
RG: Lewis Kidd***
RT: Jake Sessions***
QB: Rovig*** or Mckay (dropdown)
RB: Isaiah Ifanse*** (huge stable of RB's that are returning)
Z WR: Lance McCutcheon***
H WR: Coy Steel***
X WR: ???
TE: Ryan Davis*** (the whole crew returns)

sooo yeah. Losing Kassis, Jonsen and Brott sucks... but holy crap. when you break it down, pretty much the entire offense is returning. The biggest question mark I see is who replaces Travis Jonsen? maybe that WR who just transferred in like a week ago?

Defense.... I'm not gonna attempt that one, definitely a lot more is up in the air at this point. But we got guys like Troy, Amandre, Chase Benson, Filer, O'Reilly, Thomas, Okada and about 14 other LB's that they can build around. So definitely a solid starting point.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Re: way to early 2020 projected starters?

Post by 94VegasCat » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:18 pm

I think that if you look at the roster, there are several kids that redshirted that will be fully capable of stepping in and filling voids on Offense.

Defensively, I think coaches need to find some experienced drop downs at Safety. I think there are a few redshirts and youngsters that can fill up the Defensive line as well. Maybe not any household names yet, but kids we may have forgotten about but we’re excited when they signed.

Personally, in my opinion, I think Troy Anderson would be a huge asset at Strong Safety. He can come down into the box like Konkol (probably better). He can cover ANYONE in space. Would probably NEVER get beat deep.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:37 pm

Ill give it a shot but i'm not super qualified.

2020 Defense:

Buck: Amandre Williams, Brody Grebe
Tackle: Not on the roster yet, Byron Rollins
Nose: Chase Benson, Kyle Rygg
End: Michael Jobman, Byron Rollins
Will: Daniel Hardy, Nolan Askelson, Chad Kanow
Mike: Callahan O'reilly, Blake Flovin, Danny Uluilakepa
Sam: Troy Andersen, Daniel Hardy
Left Corner: Greg Filer, Ty'rae Gibson
Rover: Ty Okada, Eric Zambrano
Free Safety: Huge question in my mind, Keaton Anderson gets healthy? Taydan Gilman? John Knight? One of the corners???
Right Corner: Tyrel Thomas, Level Price Jr.

GO ahead and beat me up.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:41 pm

Hope both rovig and bauman get to camp this summer

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:49 pm

Couldn't even try without massive amounts of "or."

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:33 pm

94VegasCat wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:18 pm
I think that if you look at the roster, there are several kids that redshirted that will be fully capable of stepping in and filling voids on Offense.

Defensively, I think coaches need to find some experienced drop downs at Safety. I think there are a few redshirts and youngsters that can fill up the Defensive line as well. Maybe not any household names yet, but kids we may have forgotten about but we’re excited when they signed.

Personally, in my opinion, I think Troy Anderson would be a huge asset at Strong Safety. He can come down into the box like Konkol (probably better). He can cover ANYONE in space. Would probably NEVER get beat deep.
RE: Troy I’ve been saying all year he’ll be a SS in the NFL. He has prototypical size for that position by today’s standards and he’s certainly fast enough.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:35 pm

I think Jaharie Martin will start at either Will or Mike. There is no reason to keep him at RB and if I recall he is a guy that can play sideline to sideline. May also get Jalen Cole back from injury as well.

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:45 pm

Really curious to see where Jaharie Martin fits in. I would imagine he gets moved back to defense, but that’s a big group to crack the two deep on.

Defense is really hard to guess on. I’d bet there are anywhere from 1-3 transfers on the defensive side. Between them and some young guys that have been developing for a couple years, who knows what the two deep will look like.

There are a few easy ones:
Amandre Williams at buck
Chase Benson at NT/DT
Callahan O’Reilly at Mike
Filer and Thomas at the two corner spots

Then of course a couple more that we know will play, but where exactly?
Troy Andersen- will he stay at Sam? Or move to Safety with the need there and the way Daniel Hardy has played at Sam?
Ty Okada- most assume he’ll be one of the two safeties, but he could be the third corner as well.
Daniel Hardy- he’ll play a lot, somewhere. Just depends on what they do with TA.

Then after that, it turns into a complete guess. There are a lot of talented kids, just have to see how they develop this offseason and where they fit in next year.

LoggerCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by LoggerCat » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:58 pm

Definitely hard to predict a 2 deep on the defense but the depth that has been built on this roster is excellent. I doubt we will see much of a drop off next season. A lot to look forward to! Merry Christmas everyone!

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:12 pm

Hardy and TA at Safeties.

👍🏻🤣🤷🏼‍♂️

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:04 pm

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:33 pm
94VegasCat wrote:

RE: Troy I’ve been saying all year he’ll be a SS in the NFL. He has prototypical size for that position by today’s standards and he’s certainly fast enough.
He legit has prototype Sam size.

You don't see safeties in the NFL that are his size. Maybe one or two, but not many.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:07 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:01 pm
The defense is a bit more of a question mark, if anyone wants to take a stab at that... but looking at the offense below,

sooo yeah. Losing Kassis, Jonsen and Brott sucks... but holy crap. when you break it down, pretty much the entire offense is returning. The biggest question mark I see is who replaces Travis Jonsen? maybe that WR who just transferred in like a week ago?

Defense.... I'm not gonna attempt that one, definitely a lot more is up in the air at this point. But we got guys like Troy, Amandre, Chase Benson, Filer, O'Reilly, Thomas, Okada and about 14 other LB's that they can build around. So definitely a solid starting point.
I don't think Wood or Session's are very well suited to play LT. Will be interesting. Would probably work against most BSC schools, but not the top teams. I just don't see the feet that I like in a LT.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:09 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:07 pm
mslacatfan wrote:

I don't think Wood or Session's are very well suited to play LT. Will be interesting. Would probably work against most BSC schools, but not the top teams. I just don't see the feet that I like in a LT.
More bigger, faster stronger OL is a big key to the offense, I hope we get some more depth or transfer in Feb.

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:16 pm

94VegasCat wrote:

Personally, in my opinion, I think Troy Anderson would be a huge asset at Strong Safety.
He can come down into the box like Konkol (probably better). He can cover ANYONE in space. Would probably NEVER get beat deep.
Imagine if they move Troy to strong safety & Keaton makes a comeback and wins the free safety job? Goodness, the AndersEn & AndersOn misspellings on this board will be epic!

Prodigal Cat

Post by Prodigal Cat » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:50 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

The times when Brott took a seat when the games were blowouts, Ryan Barkley took reps at LT.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:39 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:50 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

The times when Brott took a seat when the games were blowouts, Ryan Barkley took reps at LT.
Don't sleep on the coaches moving Kidd to LT and Sessions to RG. Leave the rest as is.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:54 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:39 pm
Prodigal Cat wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:50 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

Don't sleep on the coaches moving Kidd to LT and Sessions to RG. Leave the rest as is.
When we recruited Kidd, I had always said that he seemed like the ideal LT recruit. I like that idea a lot better. Sessions seems well suited for an iOL.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:13 pm

You have to like where MSU is sitting right now, especially compared to this time last year. If they have another good offseason conditioning year, they’ll be tough to beat.

Despite losing Brott, the line looks better.
QB is better.
RB is better if Ifanse is healthy all year.
TE is better.
WR is going to be better. I like Smith, Monroe, Marshall, Steel, Patterson, Brown, McCutcheon, Estes...and others. Huge competition coming up and it should produce a good two deep.

The defense loses more players, but there are several versatile players (Okada, Troy, Hardy, Williams) coming back that it looks very solid. Filer III returns. Rollins looks good at DE. The good outweighs the bad.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

2015cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 2015cat » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:34 pm

Might have been said, but Kidd to LT? Just based off of having prototypical size.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:48 pm

2015cat wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:34 pm
Might have been said, but Kidd to LT? Just based off of having prototypical size.
Probably. Depends on what some of the players coming up look like though. If he isn’t the LT, then whoever is, is probably very good. There are some young prospects.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber