Three Stars - Pregame edition vs. NDSU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Three Stars - Pregame edition vs. NDSU

Post by coochorama42 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:05 pm

Last week was a good week for me, especially my "hot takes":
Third star - Derek Marks and Chase Benson (tie). These two are tasked with both stopping the run up the middle and providing inside pressure on passing downs. These guys are the Bobcats' secret weapon against Craig. If these guys can collapse the pocket, containing Craig is possible. He might break a big run or two, but I trade those for a couple sacks and an interception or two caused by pressure.

Second star - Isaiah Ifanse. They may have a good run defense, but I'm not sure they've faced a back with the patience and power of Ifanse. I think MSU's style of running is built to destroy big slow DT and NTs. Because they use position, leverage, and a FB rather than raw power to create holes, those big guys will be slow to respond if not in position. Couple that with good misdirection options and I think Ifanse torches their run D, especially in the second half. I expect 125 yards and 6+ ypc.

First star - Tucker Rovig. I'm doubling down on him after nailing this last week. Austin Peay is very vulnerable to short passes to WR and RB and the passing game in general. While I expect MSU to try some downfield throws, this matchup was built for an accurate game manager, not a gunslinger. I expect Rovig to pick Austin Peay apart early, opening up the run game and the offense in general.
This week I had a little more trouble pinning down who I felt was going to be a difference maker for MSU. I have a gut feeling about a defensive player and a special teams player, but couldn't quite pick out who is going to be an elite offensive performer on Saturday. I think I'm comfortable with my picks though.

Third Star - Jared Padmos. Saturday feels like it'll be a day where you'll need to lose a few battles to win the war. If the Cats are going to win Saturday, I feel Padmos is key. I figure he not only exceeds his average, but also flips field position once with a huge punt.

Second Star - Brayden Konkol. Trey Lance has only one turnover on the year in a phenomenal freshman performance. He may enter Saturday's game not having thrown an interception, but I don't think he will leave it saying the same. The man I think grabs that interception is Brayden "Big Game" Konkol. He just ends up being in the right place at the right time.

First Star - Mitch Brott. He is Mr. Consistency and will break the MSU record for most consecutive starts on Saturday. He anchors one of the best offensive lines in the FCS. He is technically sound, dominating, cerebral, and mean between the lines. He is the quiet leader of the offense, and I think he plays the game of his life Saturday against the toughest of competition. He will provide Rovig another second to scan the field and Ifanse and Jones big holes to run through. He is the foundation on which that offense is built.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Three Stars - Pregame edition vs. NDSU

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:31 pm

Third Star - Tristan Bailey. He makes up for last week big time.

Second Star - Coy Steel. Big catch or a punt return.

First Star - Travis Jonsen. He's the one matchup problem we cause to their secondary...and he'll hold on to the dang ball this game.

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:42 am

coochorama42 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:05 pm
Last week was a good week for me, especially my "hot takes":

This week I had a little more trouble pinning down who I felt was going to be a difference maker for MSU. I have a gut feeling about a defensive player and a special teams player, but couldn't quite pick out who is going to be an elite offensive performer on Saturday. I think I'm comfortable with my picks though.
I think that Coach Choate would like that you are having trouble pinning down a difference maker because as he says, "It's a team effort."

Trying to pick a difference maker is a real crap shoot and one of the reasons the 'Cats are in this game - both how they got here and how they will play.

Obviously, on offense, one could pick any of: The offensive line, one of several running backs, Rovig, one of several receivers. On defense, one could pick any one of the defensive line, one of the corners, one of three safeties, or one of several linebackers. Then there's special teams - again lots of choices for a variety of reasons.

I'm positive there will be standouts in all three areas and maybe more than one in each. When it comes to difference makers, I believe there should be "on the field" difference makers and "off the field" difference makers as there are several coaches that can also be major difference makers in this game. From the plethora of great choices, I just can't guess an individual so my choices would be:

Third - Special Teams
Second - Offense
First - Defense

Speculatin' is always fun, though. Carry on!!

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:43 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:31 pm

First Star - Travis Jonsen. He's the one matchup problem we cause to their secondary...and he'll hold on to the dang ball this game.
Tristan is going to have to be huge for us. I have a feeling that points are going to be at a premium in this one. Can't leave even 3 points (6 vs AP actually) out there like we did last week. Good point!

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:35 am

RobertCats wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:43 am
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:31 pm

Tristan is going to have to be huge for us. I have a feeling that points are going to be at a premium in this one. Can't leave even 3 points (6 vs AP actually) out there like we did last week. Good point!
Kickers love domes

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:00 am

Third Star - Kicking game- Padmos needs to be at his best and Bailey has to punch the ball through both the uprights and the end zone on KO's.

Second Star - Guard Center Guard- Our tackles are solid as is our entire line, but the interior is going to have to really play well and make the block.

First Star - Receivers- I have all the faith in the world that Rovig will show up and do his job, the receiving corp, those being thrown to have to catch the ball and be productive. Passing yards will be key to scoring in this game.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:36 am

Third Star - Sterk - He's a lot healthier than last year and will have to put pressure on Lance and get him out of his comfort zone. We've done this to the last 6 qbs and you've seen each go from highly accurate to throwing in the dirt by the fourth quarter. NDSU's oline is huge and very good and we don't want them leaning on our smallish dline for super long periods of time.

Second Star - Jonsen - If he is open and Tucker hits him, he has to catch the ball. I don't think the +1 running game will be super effective against them and so he will have to step up on the outside. I'm thinking 10 catches and 150 yards and a td.

First Star B - Ifanse - NDSU has shown that over the last couple of weeks, their rush d might be the only thing that could be close to labeled as a weakness for them. He will need to keep us on schedule and provide those burst plays we've been seeing from him lately.

First Star A - Rovig - I had to cheat a little because I think the Bison might sell out and pack the box to stop Ifanse. If that happens then we will need to beat the #1 rated pass defense in one on one matchups and Rovig is going to have to trust his receivers and get them the damn ball.

Really if we are being honest, the stars will need to be the oline and dline as a whole. The Bison have made their living by being more physical on the lines than anyone else and just wearing people out. We need to flip the script and take it to them. I believe this team is capable but will the dome be too much to overcome?

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:42 am

I only have 2 stars

1st Offensive Line
2nd Defensive line

These two units will determine how this game goes

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:43 am

cats2506 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:42 am
I only have 2 stars

1st Offensive Line
2nd Defensive line

Yep.

2015cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 2015cat » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:01 am

3) Fans in attendance
2) play in the Trenches
1) Rovig

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:21 am

3) Coaching Staff - They tend to be able to find something about opponents in big games that they can exploit. I expect them to uncover something else.
2) Jared Padmos - As mentioned by many others. Field position will be huge, as I don't see teams being able to score easily
1) Travis Jonsen - He had a bad game last week by his standards (except on special teams), and I don't think he'll do it twice.

Maybe these are more "x-factors", because the Bobcats have to do what they've done well the last couple months in order for the above to be able to make an impact.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:33 am

3rd Star - Daniel Hardy. Because of the way NDSU plays offense I am guessing we will see more Hardy than Okada tomorrow and he has looked really good in the games he has played in lately. He will play a big role in keeping the outside run game, and Lance in check.

2nd Star - Kevin Kassis. He is going to need to win some 1 on 1 and 50/50s tomorrow, and I think he will.

1st Star - Josh Hill. I am predicting a hug game from Josh. Either a FF, INT or both! And a big day stuffing the run.

Walk-on
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Walk-on » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:35 am

A strange and unfortunate coincidence comparing last and this years' games:
Last year: Troy Anderson starts at QB and Tucker Rovig is injured.
This year: The opposite.
Most of this year's team played there last year, except the most important position. I think 12 will be fine, and I think the coaches have set him up to succeed.
Our defense will be fine. Our offense is ready to play-to-win.
3rd Star: Kicking game. Like last week, my opinion is the home field maintains a one score advantage. We'll need our field goals, extra points, and to swap field position, to make up the deficit.
2nd star: Coaches: Play calling, trust the players and play to win.
1st star: Passing game, we finally have one. Use it and execute.

Win Big!

Armchair QB and Monday Morning Extraordinaire

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:56 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:21 am
3) Coaching Staff - They tend to be able to find something about opponents in big games that they can exploit. I expect them to uncover something else.
2) Jared Padmos - As mentioned by many others. Field position will be huge, as I don't see teams being able to score easily
1) Travis Jonsen - He had a bad game last week by his standards (except on special teams), and I don't think he'll do it twice.

Maybe these are more "x-factors", because the Bobcats have to do what they've done well the last couple months in order for the above to be able to make an impact.
I would pay damn good money to sit down and watch Choate scout and break down film on an opponent

.......Almost as much as I would pay to go on a booze cruise with Bruce Barnum

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:05 am

Kassis

Ifanse

Hill

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:43 am

RobertCats wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:56 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:21 am

I would pay damn good money to sit down and watch Choate scout and break down film on an opponent

.......Almost as much as I would pay to go on a booze cruise with Bruce Barnum
I think you get some of that every week if you join the QB club.

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:17 am

cats2506 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:42 am
I only have 2 stars

1st Offensive Line
2nd Defensive line

I think this will pretty much, sum up the game Today !

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play