"Bison Fatigue"

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

"Bison Fatigue"

Post by aucat » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:02 pm

Don't get me wrong, NDSU has an incredibly strong program, they are again undefeated, and are
heavily favored to defeat MSU (at least according to the oddsmakers.) However, when I think about
other programs that were dominate (not nearly as much of a dynasty as NDSU though), I can't help but
think about the complacency that eventually seeps into the fan base and even the program itself.

I remember Steve Spurrier had dominating teams at Florida but the fans got spoiled, and when he tripped up
a bit the fans groaned. He left for South Carolina.
Pat Dye at Auburn had a dominating program before Spurrier's "Fun and Gun" took over the SEC.

Of course Alabama has had incredible runs and may finally be cracking a bit. Their fans are spoiled.
We've seen this happen at several places: Notre Dame, Texas, Southern Cal, etc.

Who knows what will happen, but I see a very hungry and strong Montana State football team and fan base
getting ready to go to battle. Just how hungry can NDSU be? It's human nature to get spoiled and complacent
when you are constantly on top. After all, when you are on the summit there is only one way to go and that's down,
unless you can continue to stay right at the top. Frankly, the run by NDSU is the biggest dynasty in sports in
my opinion. The great pro teams that had dynasties--Yankees, Celtics, Packers and now the Patriots (they may be cracking)
have players returning each year, whereas a college has to keep recruiting.

Sooner or later someone will take down NDSU. Could it be MSU this Saturday?

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Re: "Bison Fatigue"

Post by cats2506 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:24 pm

aucat wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:02 pm
Don't get me wrong, NDSU has an incredibly strong program, they are again undefeated, and are
heavily favored to defeat MSU (at least according to the oddsmakers.) However, when I think about
other programs that were dominate (not nearly as much of a dynasty as NDSU though), I can't help but
think about the complacency that eventually seeps into the fan base and even the program itself.

I remember Steve Spurrier had dominating teams at Florida but the fans got spoiled, and when he tripped up
Pat Dye at Auburn had a dominating program before Spurrier's "Fun and Gun" took over the SEC.

Of course Alabama has had incredible runs and may finally be cracking a bit. Their fans are spoiled.

Who knows what will happen, but I see a very hungry and strong Montana State football team and fan base
getting ready to go to battle. Just how hungry can NDSU be? It's human nature to get spoiled and complacent
when you are constantly on top. After all, when you are on the summit there is only one way to go and that's down,
unless you can continue to stay right at the top. Frankly, the run by NDSU is the biggest dynasty in sports in
my opinion. The great pro teams that had dynasties--Yankees, Celtics, Packers and now the Patriots (they may be cracking)

The fall of the roman empire

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:48 pm

I wouldn’t mind seeing their QB come down with a case of the Sneeds on Saturday and toss 5 interceptions.

Punters are people too!!

lakesbison
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by lakesbison » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:12 pm

we do have Bison Fatigue over here at NDSU, tailgate and seats were not filled these last few games and parts of the season vs these PUD Fcs schools, NDSU should've went FBS when Carson Wentz was here, HUGE Mistake not to. Now, all we do is win every game and i'm usually at the bar by 3rd quarter, YAWNnnnnnnnn

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:28 pm

aucat wrote:

Pro sports have mechanisms to ensure parity-salary caps in football or basketball, or the free market in baseball, so dynasties are much tougher to build than in college.

In college, success begets more success...recruits can't get paid, so the next best option is going to a team that's going to play for an NC. Plus, here's a tidbit to consider: The seniors on the Bison have played a full two seasons more of football than the seniors on the Bobcats. (i.e. almost two full months, or 4 extra games every season). Its hard to overcome that.

All that said, this is the first time I've thought the Cats have a legit chance to beat NDSU...Id put it somewhere between 20-30%, but that's not crazy bad. All that said, I don't think that NDSU is somehow going to get caught napping on this one.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:57 am

lakesbison wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:12 pm
we do have Bison Fatigue over here at NDSU, tailgate and seats were not filled these last few games and parts of the season vs these PUD Fcs schools, NDSU should've went FBS when Carson Wentz was here, HUGE Mistake not to. Now, all we do is win every game and i'm usually at the bar by 3rd quarter, YAWNnnnnnnnn
You’d be getting your asses kicked in FBS. North Dakota is a ****** state and no one who wasn’t born there or has a job on a rig would ever want to live there. Surprising that support for NDSU has sputtered considering thats all either Dakotas have to offer.

No matter what happens on Saturday, Montana will continue to be far superior in nearly every way.

The Great Catsby
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by The Great Catsby » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:53 am

utucats wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:57 am
lakesbison wrote:
You’d be getting your asses kicked in FBS. North Dakota is a ****** state and no one who wasn’t born there or has a job on a rig would ever want to live there. Surprising that support for NDSU has sputtered considering thats all either Dakotas have to offer.

No matter what happens on Saturday, Montana will continue to be far superior in nearly every way.
South Dakota seems like an alright state. No need to lump them in with ND.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:31 am

aucat wrote:

They are undefeated and in the semifinals for what the 9th straight year. They are showing no signs of cracking. They may (or may not be) more beatable this year than last year. But if thats true, nobody has done it. I, like so many FCS fans from around the country would like to see their dominance be diminished. But they have reloaded at most of their skill positions and are very young. This team/program appears this would be the year to knock them off because they show no signs and give no reason they would get worse with more experience.

With all that said I think the Cats have a chance on Saturday. But we will have to play far better than we did against Austin Peay.

Hating the griz since 02.

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:47 am

utucats wrote:
North Dakota is a ****** state and no one who wasn’t born there or has a job on a rig would ever want to live there. Surprising that support for NDSU has sputtered considering thats all either Dakotas have to offer.

I can think of a lot of other states where, given the choice, I’d pick North Dakota over them. Bison fatigue not withstanding, the people there are just better than a lot of other places.

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:45 am

Like Longshanks in Braveheart saying “ send me news of our victory. “

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:00 am

NDSU has been THE place to play in the Dakotas as well as Minnesota for the last decade. But now Minnesota is relevant and getting some of the players NDSU was getting, so it'll be interesting to see if that levels out a bit.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:05 am

I honestly don't know if the fatigue is really or just a figment of our hopeful imaginations but the players/coaches don't seem like the ultra-confident titans that they have for so long. Honestly if the Cats win, its because they would have gone in and beat anyone, like Coach said, it's more about us and taking care of business than hoping to catch them off-guard or something.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Domako
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Domako » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:12 am

Pro sports have mechanisms to ensure parity-salary caps in football or basketball, or the free market in baseball, so dynasties are much tougher to build than in college.

In college, success begets more success...recruits can't get paid, so the next best option is going to a team that's going to play for an NC. Plus, here's a tidbit to consider: The seniors on the Bison have played a full two seasons more of football than the seniors on the Bobcats. (i.e. almost two full months, or 4 extra games every season). Its hard to overcome that.

All that said, this is the first time I've thought the Cats have a legit chance to beat NDSU...Id put it somewhere between 20-30%, but that's not crazy bad. All that said, I don't think that NDSU is somehow going to get caught napping on this one.
Actually, they do pay their players so they do have an advantage.

https://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/2015/ ... -athletes/

Tom Domako

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:07 pm

nevadacat wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:47 am
utucats wrote:
North Dakota is a ****** state and no one who wasn’t born there or has a job on a rig would ever want to live there. Surprising that support for NDSU has sputtered considering thats all either Dakotas have to offer.

I can think of a lot of other states where, given the choice, I’d pick North Dakota over them. Bison fatigue not withstanding, the people there are just better than a lot of other places.
No one would want to live there doesn’t mean there aren’t worse places. Point is Montana is simply better.

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:38 pm

Domako wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:12 am

Actually, they do pay their players so they do have an advantage.

https://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/2015/ ... -athletes/
First the rules are what they are and good for them if they can afford COA. Still I find the following quote from the NDSU AD interesting if nothing else.
“For us it was about who you recruit against,” Larsen said. “We’re recruiting against programs that are going to offer this. We thought it was important to give our coaches the tools to be apples to apples with those programs.”
Seems a bit odd that they would think it important to be apples to apples with FBS teams that they don't compete with on the field for national championships and at the same time don't seem to have any concern about being apples to apples with FCS teams that they do compete with. Again they can do what they want within the rules but it doesn't necessarily make it good for the game.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

lakesbison
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by lakesbison » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:30 pm

utucats wrote:
lakesbison wrote:

Yea NDSU could NEVER beat FBS schools. like #13 Iowa or Big 12 Champ Kansas State Either!!

FTG247365

Post by FTG247365 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:39 pm

lakesbison wrote:
Sounds like a case of the dUMd's, go see Dr. Choate...call me after the game :D !

CPrice91

Post by CPrice91 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:00 pm

utucats wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:07 pm
nevadacat wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:47 am
utucats wrote:

No one would want to live there doesn’t mean there aren’t worse places. Point is Montana is simply better.
by a lot

but sure, I'd pick North Dakota over the South. I'd just pick anything west of the 105th parallel before it.

CPrice91

Post by CPrice91 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:02 pm

lakesbison wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:30 pm
utucats wrote:
lakesbison wrote:

Yea NDSU could NEVER beat FBS schools. like #13 Iowa or Big 12 Champ Kansas State Either!!

Week in and week out? After a decade maybe. I doubt they'd ever be able to compete consistently in a Power 5 though.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:03 pm

I've been tired of Ndsu for at least 5 years now. Bison fatigue is real.