Game Day Music- Bobcat Stadium

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Game Day Music- Bobcat Stadium

Post by coochorama42 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:36 pm

I am 41. I also sit in an older section, but it's the lowest cost seats that still have their own game day parking. My guess is that my section is more the 40-55 crowd rather than the 55+ crowd. I think it's impossible to find perfect music - as you said - but Lizzo is relevant and I like that, especially at a university. At the end of the day, most of us are (paying) guests at a university event put on by university students. This isn't Childish Gambino's "This is America", so I kind of wish people would just be like Fonzie...

BethanyCordell
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by BethanyCordell » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:28 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:26 pm
coochorama42 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:58 pm
Bethany - I love the addition of Lizzo. People were singing along in my section. You asked for other ideas. What about some old school hip hop. There is pretty decent clean (edited) version of M.O.P.'s Ante Up. Any music that encourages people to Jump Around would be ideal from that era - an edited version of Hip Hop Hooray by Naughty by Nature or Jump Around by House of Pain would be good. Jump by Kris Kross is already clean...

Also, the instrumental version of Still D.R.E. by Dr. D.R.E. is pretty iconic in short bursts.
This is an honest question and not intended to be an insult. Just curious how old you are? I sit in an area of older boosters and the Lizzo song sends some people into seizures. I am truly interested because it intrigues me how hard it is to find a song that appeals to everyone.
If these two posts don't describe how difficult my job is... I don't know what does. :)

Bethany Cordell
Bobcat Athletics

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:50 pm

coochorama42 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:36 pm
I am 41. I also sit in an older section, but it's the lowest cost seats that still have their own game day parking. My guess is that my section is more the 40-55 crowd rather than the 55+ crowd. I think it's impossible to find perfect music - as you said - but Lizzo is relevant and I like that, especially at a university. At the end of the day, most of us are (paying) guests at a university event put on by university students. This isn't Childish Gambino's "This is America", so I kind of wish people would just be like Fonzie...
I agree with finding something relevant, but a key is finding something appealing to all groups. I recall when “Jump around” was a mainstay in Bobcat Stadium. Every time I hear it, my first thought is Bobcat football!

Here is a video of the Wisconsin student section during “Jump around”. Please disregard the first 30 seconds of video doing an animated character race.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:32 pm

@BethanyCordell Here's a suggestion that's worth approximately a wooden nickel:

Since coach Choate says running is in our DNA, how about some songs with a running theme? :D

Van Halen, Runnin' with the Devil
Pink Floyd, Run Like Hell
Jackson Browne, Running on Empty
Eagles, The Long Run

I'll bet Take it Easy could easily turn into a stadium anthem.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:41 pm

Cledus wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:32 pm

Since coach Choate says running is in our DNA, how about some songs with a running theme? :D

Eagles, The Long Run

I like the theme, but I bet the students have never heard 4 of those 5 songs.

I will admit being very surprised when you played “Fishing in the Dark” and the whole student section was singing along. That would be my vote to replace “Sweet Caroline”

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:52 pm

I can't believe how this silly song-that's now about 20 years old-always gets people moving. Saturday was no different.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:02 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:41 pm
Cledus wrote:

Eagles, The Long Run

I will admit being very surprised when you played “Fishing in the Dark” and the whole student section was singing along. That would be my vote to replace “Sweet Caroline”
Can we get off this having to pander to young kids as if the world wouldn't go round without them? Not trying to single you out, because there are others here as well. But it seems if you're going to pander to a demographic, how about the demographic who has and spends the money? That seems elementary to me. There's also the good ol' compromise of some new and some old.

Eagles have two of the top three selling albums of all time. Pink Floyd have #7 and #26. They wouldn't get that many sales without successor generations tuning in. If it weren't for Pink Floyd, it's possible laser light shows wouldn't even be a thing today. Do Imagine Dragons have that kind of influence?

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:43 am

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:25 pm
Bethany,

Please ask the defense if they would be okay switching to Hells Bells on 3rd down for the second half of the Cat/griz game. I have a feeling the crowd would go crazy if that song came on. I'm okay with not using the for rest of the season if we can use it for that game.

Dude, stop trying to make Hells Bells happen. It's not going to happen...

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:45 am

Cledus wrote:

Eagles, The Long Run

Good thought. I think we need to find the right song with the word run, and make it our own tradition on each big rush. This could be done the same way the Lulay song was played when he did his Houdini stuff.

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:53 am

Darth Yoda wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:45 am
Cledus wrote:

Eagles, The Long Run

Good thought. I think we need to find the right song with the word run, and make it our own tradition on each big rush. This could be done the same way the Lulay song was played when he did his Houdini stuff.
My pick for that would be AWOLNATION - Run. The part that we would play would be 2:11

The Big Meowski
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by The Big Meowski » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:29 am

Butte High does this one and I love it. on the surface, kinda corny, but it gets the point across on 3rd down. Crossing my fingers that the video shos up when I hit submit!

Brian Demarais
Sec. 105
Row 2
Seat 1

Darth Yoda

Post by Darth Yoda » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:39 am

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:53 am
Darth Yoda wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:45 am
Cledus wrote:

Eagles, The Long Run

My pick for that would be AWOLNATION - Run. The part that we would play would be 2:11

That's good and the right energy, but I was thinking a tradition like the Lulay song which would needs lyrics for the crowd. From what I remember, it was this song starting at the 2:38 mark. The crowd got a 'standby' so to speak, and then you couldn't even hear the song because the crowd was singing so loud. It was short but effective. The other goal is to make the defense, and the whole other sideline for that matter, say "I hate the f***ing song" every time we play it.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:09 am

I don't think it was from a song, I always thought it was a play on the "Ole" chant done in soccer matches

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:25 am

What would happen if I picked tunes for a game ? Just imagine something like TOOL and not opera. :D

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:29 am

vike_king needs to step into this discussion. I believe that he is the most knowledgeable authority on the Lulay chant.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:20 am

BethanyCordell wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:28 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:26 pm
coochorama42 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:58 pm
Bethany - I love the addition of Lizzo. People were singing along in my section. You asked for other ideas. What about some old school hip hop. There is pretty decent clean (edited) version of M.O.P.'s Ante Up. Any music that encourages people to Jump Around would be ideal from that era - an edited version of Hip Hop Hooray by Naughty by Nature or Jump Around by House of Pain would be good. Jump by Kris Kross is already clean...

Also, the instrumental version of Still D.R.E. by Dr. D.R.E. is pretty iconic in short bursts.
This is an honest question and not intended to be an insult. Just curious how old you are? I sit in an area of older boosters and the Lizzo song sends some people into seizures. I am truly interested because it intrigues me how hard it is to find a song that appeals to everyone.
If these two posts don't describe how difficult my job is... I don't know what does. :)

Bethany Cordell
Bobcat Athletics

Bethany...I spoke with you briefly at the QB Club banquet and expressed my thanks for doing the best you can. I have been in positions like yours where you simply can’t please everyone.....I also learned sometimes you find there are too many “chefs in the kitchen” and the loudest voice isn’t always the best voice. Don’t get frustrated and keep doing the best you can.

You’ve had this posted for over a month now and you are halfway through the home game regular season so perhaps you’ve gotten most of the “goody” you are going to get.

I thought the variety of music you played at SEMO and Norfolk State was great...a bit of something for everyone of various age groups. I was a bit chilled at NAU game, had a bit more “warming fluid” than other games and didn’t really get into music that much. But other two games were just great.

It always helped me to set a philosophy or priority when working on challenges of pleasing a large contingent like this. So I might do something like this....this is just me thinking....

Priority 1: If the team on the field requests and likes it. Play it whenever, wherever, at the frequency and at the volume they want!!

Priority 2: If you have surveyed the students and they want to hear something and they seem to get into it and you think it will keep them coming back filling the stands then play it.

Priority 3: If your faithful season ticket holders are a variety of ages and backgrounds and of different music genre, adapt a diverse music slate. Keep those songs that seem to get the crowd into it when played and alter other music just for fun or variety. Try a Bethany’s “song pick of the day”...you deserve to play one you enjoy!

Priority 4: If you have a vendor helping you pay the bills and they have a song they want to play with their advert, play it. If I don’t like it that’s just tough...I didn’t put up the money so I will just shut up and listen....and enjoy best as I can.... and I will say thanks for helping Bobcat football.

I’ll exit stage left now.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:13 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:52 pm
I can't believe how this silly song-that's now about 20 years old-always gets people moving. Saturday was no different.
Yes! Glad to hear it got played, I had to miss last week's game. Always liked that one. So nostalgic for me, brings back memories of the games I attended during college through the Kramer years.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

TheBobcatFan1
New Recruit

Post by TheBobcatFan1 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:30 pm

Cledus wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:02 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Cledus wrote:

Eagles, The Long Run

Can we get off this having to pander to young kids as if the world wouldn't go round without them? Not trying to single you out, because there are others here as well. But it seems if you're going to pander to a demographic, how about the demographic who has and spends the money? That seems elementary to me. There's also the good ol' compromise of some new and some old.

Eagles have two of the top three selling albums of all time. Pink Floyd have #7 and #26. They wouldn't get that many sales without successor generations tuning in. If it weren't for Pink Floyd, it's possible laser light shows wouldn't even be a thing today. Do Imagine Dragons have that kind of influence?
I literally created an account because I laughed so hard at this response. Can you imagine going to a game and having almost any Eagles song come on during a timeout or between plays? The place would be asleep! I love that you wanted to go with a "running" theme, like the players would be intuitive to songs from the 70s to put that together. The "kids" in the stands are the same age as the "kids" on the field. You pander to what's going to get the players jacked up first and the students after that. If it's contemporary hip hop or rock - it's whatever gets them going. Jackson Browne just isn't it.

I can confirm: "We Like to Party" had Bobcat Stadium JUMPING on Saturday afternoon. Immediate nostalgia for me and 75% of that place. Awesome.

Eagles... ha!

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:16 am

TheBobcatFan1 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:30 pm
Cledus wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Cledus wrote:

Eagles, The Long Run

I literally created an account because I laughed so hard at this response. Can you imagine going to a game and having almost any Eagles song come on during a timeout or between plays? The place would be asleep! I love that you wanted to go with a "running" theme, like the players would be intuitive to songs from the 70s to put that together. The "kids" in the stands are the same age as the "kids" on the field. You pander to what's going to get the players jacked up first and the students after that. If it's contemporary hip hop or rock - it's whatever gets them going. Jackson Browne just isn't it.

I can confirm: "We Like to Party" had Bobcat Stadium JUMPING on Saturday afternoon. Immediate nostalgia for me and 75% of that place. Awesome.

Eagles... ha!
=D^

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:48 am

TheBobcatFan1 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:30 pm
Cledus wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Cledus wrote:

Eagles, The Long Run

Eagles... ha!
This guy isn't wrong. Cledus is a great poster but I couldn't possibly disagree with him more on this one. "Pandering" to the players playing the game that we all care so much about and their classmates is EXACTLY what we should be doing. And I'm not sure what you guys are spending on Cat games every season but I'm not spending close to what those students are spending to be students.

Man I love this topic every year!

I think Bethany and crew do a great job finding a mixture that everyone loves.