Players Gone From 2018 Team

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Re: Players Gone From 2018 Team

Post by 94VegasCat » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:25 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:57 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:51 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:38 pm
Sparaco sightings at the CU spring practices. Reported he is a transfer walk-on and will have to sit out a year.

Has anyone in the history of the NCAA transferred down a level, and then transferred back to the same exact school they transferred from? What a weird deal.
Leave school A to go down a level for more playing time, don't getting the playing time at school B you assumed you would, leave school B, walk on at higher level school (SCHOOL A!)??? :-k

It would be incredible if he actually pulls this off but I'm guessing it wasn't really a football move. Probably just missed Boulder.
If you mean that his reasoning to go back was more because he missed Boulder rather than a pure football decision, maybe, but he is practicing with the team this spring so he is going to try and play ball there again.
I know that DS had playing time here last season but maybe he thought he’d come in and be the MAN, and just didn’t fit in. Not saying he had a bad attitude but maybe just didn’t mesh well with the guys already buying into the Choate staff. I always think back to last seasons media days. Wright and Neale said that those that don’t buy into it, don’t last long.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

SpeedCAT
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by SpeedCAT » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:06 am

We seem to be slowly updating our roster. Couple of losses on the OL: Sean Hatten and Brody McKnight. Both were promising recruits from the 2017 class. Obviously Redd and Wood are working out well from the same class.

It appears that Ty’rese Gibson has left the program as well.

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:04 am

SpeedCAT wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:06 am
We seem to be slowly updating our roster. Couple of losses on the OL: Sean Hatten and Brody McKnight. Both were promising recruits from the 2017 class. Obviously Redd and Wood are working out well from the same class.

Sorry to see McKnight gone. He was one of the top linemen in his conference and on one of the top football programs in Washington..Eastside Catholic. Former Bobcat DC, Rob Christoff, is the DC there.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:40 am

Mr Lisle wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:04 am
SpeedCAT wrote:

Sorry to see McKnight gone. He was one of the top linemen in his conference and on one of the top football programs in Washington..Eastside Catholic. Former Bobcat DC, Rob Christoff, is the DC there.

I have high hopes for both since their recruitment.
Met Hatten's parents in Hawaii after Sean's signing. Nice people.
McKnight seemed to have quite an upside as well.
Wonder if they will be invited back for fall.

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:05 pm

SpeedCAT wrote:

Added McKnight and Hatten.

All 3 could be back in the fall.
At this point it’s a simple numbers game, as it’s been stated by a few this offseason, talented players are going to be cut, and some will be invited back to fall camp.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:10 pm

Catsrgrood wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:05 pm
SpeedCAT wrote:

Added McKnight and Hatten.

All 3 could be back in the fall.
At this point it’s a simple numbers game, as it’s been stated by a few this offseason, talented players are going to be cut, and some will be invited back to fall camp.
Not many though. We have somewhere in the range of 8-9 PWOs who get a spot once the roster expands to 105 in the fall. There will only be about 1-3 spots open for guys to come back in the fall (assuming there isn't more attrition which there likely will be).

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

stevo
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by stevo » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:00 am

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:08 am

A little surprised but not really. Ifanse is going to get the lion's share for 3 more years. But Jones and Tucker both graduate this year, leaving a big opening in 2020.

Good luck young man.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:10 am

Yeah, that one is disappointing. He seemed to be a good teammate and Bobcat. I would have liked to see him get a shot on the field. :(

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:36 am

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:08 am
A little surprised but not really. Ifanse is going to get the lion's share for 3 more years. But Jones and Tucker both graduate this year, leaving a big opening in 2020.

Good luck young man.
RB's on the roster for 2020 (with their expected class level at that time):

Isaiah Ifanse - Jr.
Tyrel Burgess - Jr.
Shane Perry - Jr.
Lane Sumner - So.
DeMareus Hosey - Rfr. or So.
Joe Olson - Rfr.
Brock Spiegelberg - Rfr.

Then of course there is that Troy Andersen fella...and also Chris Murray. I just really don't think there is going to be that big of an opening in 2020. The usual suspects will still be in the stable. Also, the way I'm reading Cauley transferring is he was beat out by Shane Perry. They were fringe roster guys coming into this year.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:03 pm

This isn’t meant as any slight to Cauley, but I don’t think this is all that surprising. There are a lot of bodies and talent in that RB group , especially the underclassmen Vim mentions above. I feel like the Cats were always going to lose a RB or two before next season, it just depended on who had a good spring/summer to figure out who the odd man out might be.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:05 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:36 am
CelticCat wrote:

Good luck young man.

Isaiah Ifanse - Jr.
Tyrel Burgess - Jr.
Shane Perry - Jr.
Lane Sumner - So.
Joe Olson - Rfr.
Brock Spiegelberg - Rfr.

Then of course there is that Troy Andersen fella...and also Chris Murray. I just really don't think there is going to be that big of an opening in 2020. The usual suspects will still be in the stable. Also, the way I'm reading Cauley transferring is he was beat out by Shane Perry. They were fringe roster guys coming into this year.
Yeah but look at last year when we were down to Ifanse and Tucker as our only true running backs after being stacked in spring. Need guys to share the load, its a long season.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:14 pm

I had thought Cauley was going to be really good, but man, he didn't look very good at the last scrimmage. Had a few more backs ahead of him on the depth chart, including ones out of his own class, so this isn't surprising.

RB is the easiest position to recruit. That's why I don't worry about it much.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:15 pm

technoCat wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:05 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

Good luck young man.

Isaiah Ifanse - Jr.
Tyrel Burgess - Jr.
Shane Perry - Jr.
Lane Sumner - So.
Joe Olson - Rfr.
Brock Spiegelberg - Rfr.

Yeah but look at last year when we were down to Ifanse and Tucker as our only true running backs after being stacked in spring. Need guys to share the load, its a long season.
By 2020, Ifanse, Burgess, Perry, Sumner, and possibly Hosey will all be able to share the load. Agreed?

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:21 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:15 pm
technoCat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

Good luck young man.

Isaiah Ifanse - Jr.
Tyrel Burgess - Jr.
Shane Perry - Jr.
Lane Sumner - So.
Joe Olson - Rfr.
Brock Spiegelberg - Rfr.

By 2020, Ifanse, Burgess, Perry, Sumner, and possibly Hosey will all be able to share the load. Agreed?
I'm just saying going into fall last year, I thought the RB position was stacked and Ifanse might even be able to redshirt and between injuries and players retiring or leaving the team, we were down to just him and Tucker for most of the year. Just saying of all positions, that is the one with the biggest need to rotate in guys frequently. If he left because he was BEHIND all those guys then I understand but if he just didn't think there would be enough carries, I don't agree.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:01 pm

I think sumner is going to be a beast as well. (Was he able to use his redshirt last year?)

Bummed cauley left, but yeah, not super surprised either. I think he had several guys ahead of him on the depth chart.
Last edited by mslacatfan on Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:03 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:01 pm
I think sumner is going to be a beast as well. (Was he able to use his redshirt last year?)

Bummed he left, but yeah, not super surprised either. I think he had several guys ahead of him on the depth chart.
Sumner redshirted last year.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:57 pm

technoCat wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:21 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
technoCat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

Good luck young man.

Isaiah Ifanse - Jr.
Tyrel Burgess - Jr.
Shane Perry - Jr.
Lane Sumner - So.
Joe Olson - Rfr.
Brock Spiegelberg - Rfr.

I'm just saying going into fall last year, I thought the RB position was stacked and Ifanse might even be able to redshirt and between injuries and players retiring or leaving the team, we were down to just him and Tucker for most of the year. Just saying of all positions, that is the one with the biggest need to rotate in guys frequently. If he left because he was BEHIND all those guys then I understand but if he just didn't think there would be enough carries, I don't agree.
I agree somewhat and I see your point, but IMO last year in the Spring we were KINDA loaded at the RB position. This year coming out of Spring we are REALLY loaded at the position with some serious talent.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:18 pm

catatac wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:57 pm
technoCat wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:21 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
technoCat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

Good luck young man.

Isaiah Ifanse - Jr.
Tyrel Burgess - Jr.
Shane Perry - Jr.
Lane Sumner - So.
Joe Olson - Rfr.
Brock Spiegelberg - Rfr.

I agree somewhat and I see your point, but IMO last year in the Spring we were KINDA loaded at the RB position. This year coming out of Spring we are REALLY loaded at the position with some serious talent.
Cauley was not going to see the field this year with Logan Jones available as well. Our backfield is loaded and we are bringing in a couple more studs this year. Can’t blame Justin for looking for a location where he may get to see the field earlier or in a more substantial role. Best of luck to him!

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:36 pm

Sumner had a great spring, Perry has been turning heads since he got here. I don’t blame Justin one bit.....