Troy Andersen

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: Troy Andersen

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:04 pm

CB Tyrel Thomas still not listed. That hurts against a team like EWU.
Any word on how long he's out?

Same with JoJo! Dang those injuries will hurt us this week.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:30 pm

catsrback76 wrote:It could be that Troy is being put in on the defensive side to counter some of the WR speed of EWU. I like him at LB without ever seeing him play a down simply because it was the reason he was recruited. He also has the attitude and strength to be a great Will LB!
No, it sounds like that's been the plan all along as soon as LaSane returned. In fact he was going to get reps against PSU at LB but Vander got nicked up and changed that plan.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:36 pm

If you want to upset a national power that you haven't beat in a while-put one of your best players on both sides of the ball like Iowa State did against OU: https://sports.yahoo.com/powered-two-wa ... 07589.html

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:02 pm

bet we see him getting reps on both side of the ball Saturday. not sure how many plays, but I think we'll see it.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:26 pm

Having Andersen on defense allows Konkol to play safety and Garcia to play nickel. Konkol is very good and vastly underrated and unappreciated. Garcia is better at nickel than safety. Could upgrade three positions with this one move.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:03 pm

91catAlum wrote:CB Tyrel Thomas still not listed. That hurts against a team like EWU.

I think Thomas is done for the year. Talked to his parents on Saturday. Nice folks.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:19 pm

KittieKop wrote:
91catAlum wrote:CB Tyrel Thomas still not listed. That hurts against a team like EWU.

I think Thomas is done for the year. Talked to his parents on Saturday. Nice folks.
I can't find it, but I recall a post saying he had a cast on the sidelines. That would do it.

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:21 pm

TomCat88 wrote:Having Andersen on defense allows Konkol to play safety and Garcia to play nickel. Konkol is very good and vastly underrated and unappreciated. Garcia is better at nickel than safety. Could upgrade three positions with this one move.
Lack of film with that lineup as well. That could generate some surprises for EWU to battle against.

Has Konkol played safety at all this year?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:26 pm

Andersen has only had one game where he was used significantly at RB, so considering he only carries 8-10 times and is in on about 20 offensive plays he should be able to play a good 15-20 plays on defense.

EWU also needs to spend time prepping for Andersen at Wildcat.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:37 pm

Wait until next year with the backfield of Rovig, Murray, and Andersen running the option.

And the halfbacks passing for THE BOMB.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:01 pm

exppi wrote:
KittieKop wrote:

I can't find it, but I recall a post saying he had a cast on the sidelines. That would do it.
Well that definitely stinks!!!

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Bemiller49
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bemiller49 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:39 pm

I don’t really agree with this whole playing him on both sides stuff. He is a good football player but come on. It has to limit his ability on both sides.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:51 pm

Bemiller49 wrote:I don’t really agree with this whole playing him on both sides stuff. He is a good football player but come on. It has to limit his ability on both sides.
He played both ways in high school. Not saying it's the same thing but it can be done. 2 way players were pretty common until about 20-25 years ago.

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:50 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Bemiller49 wrote:I don’t really agree with this whole playing him on both sides stuff. He is a good football player but come on. It has to limit his ability on both sides.
He played both ways in high school. Not saying it's the same thing but it can be done. 2 way players were pretty common until about 20-25 years ago.
If he is only played on O then his ability as a D player has been limited to zero and visa versa.
What is a good number of total plays for him per game? 50? 60? more? or less?
Split his plays equally between O and D or in any other proportion that seems appropriate for each game situation.

He has exceeded expectations in all that he has been asked to do so far. I don't see any logical reason to doubt that he would at least perform up to expectations as a defensive player.
Admittedly it'll be a tuff and tall order for him to play his first collegiate defensive plays against an offense like EWU has (bummer that he hasn't had more practice and college game time on D).
They may even see that as a opportunity to challenge him which might work out well for them or they may end up wishing they hadn't.
I trust this coaching staff to prepare every player well and put them in situations to succeed and I have a load of faith in the ability of number 15 to play both sides of the ball.
I'll be in the stands and look forward to seeing him rock some poor runner or receiver into next week.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:01 pm

When was the last time the Bobcats had a player that played both offense and defense in the same game? Just curious. I can't remember one. Not a guy that played a single play or two (i.e., short yardage plays) but a regular player.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:09 pm

AFCAT wrote:When was the last time the Bobcats had a player that played both offense and defense in the same game? Just curious. I can't remember one. Not a guy that played a single play or two (i.e., short yardage plays) but a regular player.
Brekke played both ways in a game, maybe two, last year.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:14 pm

catscat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:When was the last time the Bobcats had a player that played both offense and defense in the same game? Just curious. I can't remember one. Not a guy that played a single play or two (i.e., short yardage plays) but a regular player.

Yeah, I remember that one now. He played corner for a series or two and RB. I was thinking more of a regular player.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:07 am

catscat wrote:
Brekke manned up against cooper Kupp a couple times last year and did a solid job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:18 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
If he is only played on O then his ability as a D player has been limited to zero and visa versa.
What is a good number of total plays for him per game? 50? 60? more? or less?
Split his plays equally between O and D or in any other proportion that seems appropriate for each game situation.

He has exceeded expectations in all that he has been asked to do so far. I don't see any logical reason to doubt that he would at least perform up to expectations as a defensive player.
Admittedly it'll be a tuff and tall order for him to play his first collegiate defensive plays against an offense like EWU has (bummer that he hasn't had more practice and college game time on D).
They may even see that as a opportunity to challenge him which might work out well for them or they may end up wishing they hadn't.
I trust this coaching staff to prepare every player well and put them in situations to succeed and I have a load of faith in the ability of number 15 to play both sides of the ball.
I'll be in the stands and look forward to seeing him rock some poor runner or receiver into next week.
Based upon pre-season reports of his speed, it might help contain EWU. I don't think we have seen it in full display as a RB. Just the muscle dragging defenders. =D^

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:45 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
He played both ways in high school.
:D

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.