Troy Andersen

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Troy Andersen

Post by CelticCat » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:45 am

One thing that stuck out to me about Andersen (well besides his size, speed, and physicality) was his balance. He was getting hit, spun, and kept his feet under him. Pretty impressive.

Yes he doesn't exactly "look" like a RB but does that really matter? He was getting 4-5 yards a carry, dragging guys, and he showed his speed on his last TD run, he looked fast as any RB in league.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:53 am

Doug Flutie and Dave Dickenson didn't "look" like quarterbacks. There's a long list of people who didn't look like the athletes they were. I like it though. Part of the reason they became great was due to people saying they couldn't.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:55 am

CelticCat wrote:One thing that stuck out to me about Andersen (well besides his size, speed, and physicality) was his balance. He was getting hit, spun, and kept his feet under him. Pretty impressive.

Yes he doesn't exactly "look" like a RB but does that really matter? He was getting 4-5 yards a carry, dragging guys, and he showed his speed on his last TD run, he looked fast as any RB in league.
He's definitely one of those sleeper kids. You see him on the field and he looks the part of a big bruiser that's going to punish you for 3 or 4 yards, but give him a bit of space and boom, he gets shot out of a cannon. While he does good bruising for yards, I'd like to see him get some more space. Screens, flats, maybe a pitch or two... get this kid into the open field!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:58 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:One thing that stuck out to me about Andersen (well besides his size, speed, and physicality) was his balance. He was getting hit, spun, and kept his feet under him. Pretty impressive.

He's definitely one of those sleeper kids. You see him on the field and he looks the part of a big bruiser that's going to punish you for 3 or 4 yards, but give him a bit of space and boom, he gets shot out of a cannon. While he does good bruising for yards, I'd like to see him get some more space. Screens, flats, maybe a pitch or two... get this kid into the open field!
When LaSane gets back, we will have 3 physical backs:

Vander 6'1 200
Andersen 6'3 215
LaSane 5'11 220

I'd also like to see Andersen used more in a Shawn Johnson type way because we have Vander and soon LaSane who can hopefully take more of the punishment between the tackes. Get Andersen to the edge and let DBs try to handle him, good luck.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:39 am

91catAlum wrote:
lutecat wrote:Wow. I'd say enough with the snarky responses. So what if some have the opinion he'd make an NFL caliber LB. Some of you take it personally that other people have a different opinion. So what. Noone saying he sucks as a rb.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Ok, sorry for the snark, but don't you think it's a bit silly to say that a true freshman who's played 2 games at RB would be NFL caliber if our coaches would just move him to LB? What is that opinion based on? Serious question. What football knowledge do you have that makes you think that Troy is better at LB, when he's never taken a snap at this level? It's a very fair question.

For some reason, some people can't get over the fact that Troy is 6'3" and plays RB. And that's really the only thing they're basing their opinion on. Can't we just admit that Choate knows the situation better than any of us, and there's a reason he's got him at RB?
This is a response to you and Greg, but in one of Colter's articles, Choate flat out said he wished they could have kept him on defense. Felt they had to move him to offense bc of suspension/injuries.

Look, I know he's just a true freshman, and like I said, he's a good RB at this level...but I think he would be better at LB. His size, speed, frame and coverage skills all indicate that he would be a lights out LB. Legit NFL prospect.

Do you know why every tall RB is compared to Dickerson? Same reason every small RB is compared to Darren Sproles. They are by and large, the exception to the rules. The only ones at their size who have been successful (in the NFL).

To me, RB is way easier to recruit at than LB. So like I said, Anderson can be a goood RB here, I just think his best position is at LB.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:41 am

Is Jake Roper still in the mix? Is he still hurt? What's his status?

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:41 am

PapaG wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:He's a good RB, but I think some of that is because we play in the Big Sky.

He succeeds because he's big and fast, but he just doesn't look like a RB to me. He is not what I would call fluid, he runs stiff, pretty much exactly like a big LB. It absolutely works, but I think he has a pro future at LB, and he doesn't at RB.
He's 6'3" and looks to be about 220 now and is a power RB who runs over people instead of around them. If you expect him to be Barry Sanders at Troy's size, you must not know football very well. No back that size is "elusive," with the possible exception of Marcus Allen, who was a Freak of nature with elusiveness, size, and speed. Al Davis is why Marcus isn't the all-time leading rusher in the NFL.

I can't believe some of the posts in this thread about a true freshman who just mauled NoDak. As for the pros, he just had his second start, ever, and he's 18 years old. Who cares about pro football at this point? He seemed pretty happy to just help his team end a NoDak 11-game conference win streak.
Yes Greg, I definitely expect him to run like Barry Sanders. Exactly what I said. Try to cut out the hyperbole.

And yes, he's a big tall back. There's a reason we don't see very many of those. It's because they typically run high, run stiff, get hurt.

Now Anderson can do it at this level and do very well. I think against better competition it probably won't work as well. I think he makes more of an impact on defense. Choate, who said that he wishes he could sill have Anderson on defense, apparently agrees with me. I think anybody that watches him play RB, that knows anything about football, would say he looks like a linebacker playing RB. All I'm saying is that it'll work fine at this level, but I don't think it's his best position. Fair enough, Greggie?
You said he's not "elusive." Well no sh*t, whatever your name is. That's not what backs of his size do well. Thank goodness small backs who are elusive never get injured! MSU has never had a small, elusive back get banged up, right? How often was Chad Neweel injured? Ryan Johnson? Those are the two bigger backs I remember, and they seemed to stay healthy and played a lot of snaps.
Greg. I never said the word "elusive" anywhere. Try not to make ****** up, you have an awful habit of it.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:00 am

Great to have athletes be able to help out and succeed at positions that are needed. With the incoming class of RB's and only losing LaSane(so far) that room is going to be very competitive next year.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:01 am

Well if we could clone Troy we could have a Safety/Line backer / QB / Running back and probably a Wide reciever .
That's the best thing about Troy he's an exceptional athlete and would willingly play well, where ever the Coach's thought
he could best help the BobCats. Lucky to have him . And need more like him.

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:14 am

And LaSane will be back after Weber, correct?

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

catpound
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catpound » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:14 am

Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:Well if we could clone Troy we could have a Safety/Line backer / QB / Running back and probably a Wide reciever .
That's the best thing about Troy he's an exceptional athlete and would willingly play well, where ever the Coach's thought
he could best help the BobCats. Lucky to have him . And need more like him.
Yep, he could play 4 or 5 different positions at this level and be successful. Choate had a quote in fall camp basically saying that Troy is a next level athlete (Choate knows he's been at the next level for many years) and he was shocked nobody at the next level stole him away and the Cats are very fortunate to have him.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:26 am

Pat Donovan was a DE in college...all pro OT in the NFL.....

2024 Resume dominance

CAT_MARK_1
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by CAT_MARK_1 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:05 pm

My little brother was team mates with Troy, so I got to see Troy in action a lot during the last couple years of his high school career.

The kid as an exceptional athlete (just not football). He's going to be a special player at the college level as well, I have no doubt.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:16 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
lutecat wrote:Wow. I'd say enough with the snarky responses. So what if some have the opinion he'd make an NFL caliber LB. Some of you take it personally that other people have a different opinion. So what. Noone saying he sucks as a rb.

Ok, sorry for the snark, but don't you think it's a bit silly to say that a true freshman who's played 2 games at RB would be NFL caliber if our coaches would just move him to LB? What is that opinion based on? Serious question. What football knowledge do you have that makes you think that Troy is better at LB, when he's never taken a snap at this level? It's a very fair question.

For some reason, some people can't get over the fact that Troy is 6'3" and plays RB. And that's really the only thing they're basing their opinion on. Can't we just admit that Choate knows the situation better than any of us, and there's a reason he's got him at RB?
This is a response to you and Greg, but in one of Colter's articles, Choate flat out said he wished they could have kept him on defense. Felt they had to move him to offense bc of suspension/injuries.

Look, I know he's just a true freshman, and like I said, he's a good RB at this level...but I think he would be better at LB. His size, speed, frame and coverage skills all indicate that he would be a lights out LB. Legit NFL prospect.

Do you know why every tall RB is compared to Dickerson? Same reason every small RB is compared to Darren Sproles. They are by and large, the exception to the rules. The only ones at their size who have been successful (in the NFL).

To me, RB is way easier to recruit at than LB. So like I said, Anderson can be a goood RB here, I just think his best position is at LB.
My reasoning for leaning toward keeping him at LB rather than RB is similar to yours: i.e. the Choate quote you referred to, and although he looks like he may be a great one at RB, and in addition, I have to ask if the good decision is the enemy of the best in this situation. Perhaps we will never know the answer.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:22 pm

When you have a good athlete, you want him on the field. When you have a great athlete, you want him to have the ball in his hands.

I too would prefer that he is a future LB for us, because I think the upside for him (and us) is very very high. But I'm perfectly happy with him running the ball right now.

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:35 pm

CAT_MARK_1 wrote:My little brother was team mates with Troy, so I got to see Troy in action a lot during the last couple years of his high school career.

The kid as an exceptional athlete (just not football). He's going to be a special player at the college level as well, I have no doubt.
I think you had a moment of dyslexia. Just not? How about not just? Lol

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:59 pm

I cannot believe this thread. True freshman just runs for 131 yards and two touchdowns against a Big Sky foe, and people are lamenting that he doesn't get to play linebacker????? Give it a rest. Not only that, Troy did not even play linebacker in high school. He was a safety. Can we quit second guessing everything and just enjoy the ride?

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:08 pm

Only the 4th true freshman to rush for 100 yards in a game since 1966.

That's an entirely different game with Vander, Jones and Burgess rotating. 9 of Andersen's carries went for a 1st down or a TD. A good chunk of those were on 3rd and short where he pushed through a defender or 2 to get extra yards.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:11 pm

HelenaCat95 wrote:Is Jake Roper still in the mix? Is he still hurt? What's his status?
Still hurt. Can't remember the injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:24 pm

Cataholic wrote:I cannot believe this thread. True freshman just runs for 131 yards and two touchdowns against a Big Sky foe, and people are lamenting that he doesn't get to play linebacker????? Give it a rest. Not only that, Troy did not even play linebacker in high school. He was a safety. Can we quit second guessing everything and just enjoy the ride?

relax, its just a discussion. A pretty interesting discussion in my opinion. I don't think it is necessarily "second guessing", but more trying to figure out what his future holds.

Originally, I definitely thought he should have redshirted and been moved to LB.... But after last game, man, who knows, he looked like the next Chad Newell (only bigger, stronger and faster, ha).... LB or RB??? It's a good problem to have if you are the coaches.

FTG- GO CATS GO!