Troy Andersen

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Troy Andersen

Post by Common Cat » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:56 pm

Watching the replay. Part of Anderson's success was due to Curtis Amos crushing dudes as a lead blocker. Heck of a game for him.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:00 pm

PapaG wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:He's a good RB, but I think some of that is because we play in the Big Sky.

He succeeds because he's big and fast, but he just doesn't look like a RB to me. He is not what I would call fluid, he runs stiff, pretty much exactly like a big LB. It absolutely works, but I think he has a pro future at LB, and he doesn't at RB.
He's 6'3" and looks to be about 220 now and is a power RB who runs over people instead of around them. If you expect him to be Barry Sanders at Troy's size, you must not know football very well. No back that size is "elusive," with the possible exception of Marcus Allen, who was a Freak of nature with elusiveness, size, and speed. Al Davis is why Marcus isn't the all-time leading rusher in the NFL.

I can't believe some of the posts in this thread about a true freshman who just mauled NoDak. As for the pros, he just had his second start, ever, and he's 18 years old. Who cares about pro football at this point? He seemed pretty happy to just help his team end a NoDak 11-game conference win streak.
Amen. He's a stud, a punishing runner, who also happens to be really fast. I can not wait to see how he improves, once he does truly start to learn the nuances of the position. Sky's the limit, IMO.

60's Cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by 60's Cat » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:03 pm

HawaiiFiveO wrote:Let's not get ahead of ourselves NDU was out 9 starters...I hold firm that he's a LB not a true RB....Lets revisit this discussion next Saturday...
What are you smoking Dano?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:12 pm

PapaG wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:He's a good RB, but I think some of that is because we play in the Big Sky.

He succeeds because he's big and fast, but he just doesn't look like a RB to me. He is not what I would call fluid, he runs stiff, pretty much exactly like a big LB. It absolutely works, but I think he has a pro future at LB, and he doesn't at RB.
He's 6'3" and looks to be about 220 now and is a power RB who runs over people instead of around them. If you expect him to be Barry Sanders at Troy's size, you must not know football very well. No back that size is "elusive," with the possible exception of Marcus Allen, who was a Freak of nature with elusiveness, size, and speed. Al Davis is why Marcus isn't the all-time leading rusher in the NFL.

I can't believe some of the posts in this thread about a true freshman who just mauled NoDak. As for the pros, he just had his second start, ever, and he's 18 years old. Who cares about pro football at this point? He seemed pretty happy to just help his team end a NoDak 11-game conference win streak.
Yes Greg, I definitely expect him to run like Barry Sanders. Exactly what I said. Try to cut out the hyperbole.

And yes, he's a big tall back. There's a reason we don't see very many of those. It's because they typically run high, run stiff, get hurt.

Now Anderson can do it at this level and do very well. I think against better competition it probably won't work as well. I think he makes more of an impact on defense. Choate, who said that he wishes he could sill have Anderson on defense, apparently agrees with me. I think anybody that watches him play RB, that knows anything about football, would say he looks like a linebacker playing RB. All I'm saying is that it'll work fine at this level, but I don't think it's his best position. Fair enough, Greggie?

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:13 pm

Common Cat wrote:Watching the replay. Part of Anderson's success was due to Curtis Amos crushing dudes as a lead blocker. Heck of a game for him.
Good observation. Right on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buckaroo Bonzi

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:14 pm

Same size as Eric Dickerson, but I think his defensive background will keep him physical and finishing runs
Downhill - like Coach Chote said - run the ball down their throats and take their souls. And from where Troy
Came from - yes he is all about Team .

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:28 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
PapaG wrote:

Yes Greg, I definitely expect him to run like Barry Sanders. Exactly what I said. Try to cut out the hyperbole.

And yes, he's a big tall back. There's a reason we don't see very many of those. It's because they typically run high, run stiff, get hurt.

Now Anderson can do it at this level and do very well. I think against better competition it probably won't work as well. I think he makes more of an impact on defense. Choate, who said that he wishes he could sill have Anderson on defense, apparently agrees with me. I think anybody that watches him play RB, that knows anything about football, would say he looks like a linebacker playing RB. All I'm saying is that it'll work fine at this level, but I don't think it's his best position. Fair enough, Greggie?
You said he's not "elusive." Well no sh*t, whatever your name is. That's not what backs of his size do well. Thank goodness small backs who are elusive never get injured! MSU has never had a small, elusive back get banged up, right? How often was Chad Neweel injured? Ryan Johnson? Those are the two bigger backs I remember, and they seemed to stay healthy and played a lot of snaps.
Last edited by PapaG on Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:32 pm

Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:Same size as Eric Dickerson, but I think his defensive background will keep him physical and finishing runs
Downhill - like Coach Chote said - run the ball down their throats and take their souls. And from where Troy
Came from - yes he is all about Team .
Bobcat99 obviously knows better than Choate about what Andersen does best. What's funny is a LB needs to not be a straight ahead player, which 99 and I agree Troy is a straight power runner, yet that's Bobcat99's issue with Andersen as a RB.

How many NFL LBs run straight ahead and aren't "elusive?" I can't think of one, since that means they can't cover TEs or RBs on pass plays.
Last edited by PapaG on Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:34 pm

When did Choate say he wishes he had "straight ahead" Andersen on defense instead of offense?

What a ride

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:36 pm

91catAlum wrote:Wow, the kid just ran for 130 yards in his 2nd game as a true freshman and half our fans want to move him to LB. Let me ask you guys, what team do you coach???
Let Choate make the player position decisions, and don't quit your day jobs.
=D^ In Choate We Trust!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:44 pm

Then again, "bobcat99" was one of the biggest sh*t talkers about DeNarius McGhee blowing up the locker room because of the Pike thing.

Choate somehow managed to dispel that damaging and anonymous gossip and still hired DMG as a QB coach.

What a ride

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:47 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:Trey Robinson-Chad Newell-Troy Andersen.
I actually don't see Newell in Andersen as much as I see Ryan Johnson. He is a pounder like Newell, but he has better balance and is faster. As his game rounds out, I think he will be more of a Johnson look a like, then a Newell. IMO.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:41 pm

I can hardly wait until they introduce him to the passing game. We haven't even scratched the surface of what Troy can do. Can you imagine using him in some of the plays they ran with ShaunJohn? I imagine trying to tackle him in the open field is like tackling a girraffe!

2024 Resume dominance

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:04 am

Common Cat wrote:Watching the replay. Part of Anderson's success was due to Curtis Amos crushing dudes as a lead blocker. Heck of a game for him.
A RB's success is helped by good blocking? I've never heard of that before!

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:06 am

Helcat72 wrote:I can hardly wait until they introduce him to the passing game. We haven't even scratched the surface of what Troy can do. Can you imagine using him in some of the plays they ran with ShaunJohn? I imagine trying to tackle him in the open field is like tackling a girraffe!
Those seem to be Vander's plays at this point. Whoops, didn't mean to give opposing DCs a hint.

What a ride

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:17 am

Wow. I'd say enough with the snarky responses. So what if some have the opinion he'd make an NFL caliber LB. Some of you take it personally that other people have a different opinion. So what. Noone saying he sucks as a rb.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:05 am

lutecat wrote:Wow. I'd say enough with the snarky responses. So what if some have the opinion he'd make an NFL caliber LB. Some of you take it personally that other people have a different opinion. So what. Noone saying he sucks as a rb.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Ok, sorry for the snark, but don't you think it's a bit silly to say that a true freshman who's played 2 games at RB would be NFL caliber if our coaches would just move him to LB? What is that opinion based on? Serious question. What football knowledge do you have that makes you think that Troy is better at LB, when he's never taken a snap at this level? It's a very fair question.

For some reason, some people can't get over the fact that Troy is 6'3" and plays RB. And that's really the only thing they're basing their opinion on. Can't we just admit that Choate knows the situation better than any of us, and there's a reason he's got him at RB?

Buckaroo Bonzi

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:07 am

catsrback76 wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:Trey Robinson-Chad Newell-Troy Andersen.
I actually don't see Newell in Andersen as much as I see Ryan Johnson. He is a pounder like Newell, but he has better balance and is faster. As his game rounds out, I think he will be more of a Johnson look a like, then a Newell. IMO.
Unfortunately I missed the Ryan Johnson years - I see a similarity in build to Tom Kostabra , I don't think Tom had
Troy's ought right speed, but he could be elusive and just as punishing in short yardage downs and near the goal line.
Tom was built like a Line backer 6' 2 - 215 ish and could run like a deer if he wanted to . Your thoughts ?

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:38 am

Loved Kostabra. Seemed to look for corners to hit when he got in the backfield the first half. Second half he took a step toward them then ran to the end zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:41 am

You know who else ran with their head down quite a bit? Cooper Kupp.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast