Which logo do you prefer?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Which logo would you prefer on the helmet?

M
33%
Cat head
35%
Cat script
32%

Total votes: 130

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: Which logo do you prefer?

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:17 pm

Just for clarity. The one that some of you dislike is not the one in the middle of the field, is it ?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

TIrwin24
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by TIrwin24 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:21 pm

That is correct. The Bobcat head is cool. Just not mixed with the "M"

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

AlphaOAlum
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by AlphaOAlum » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:21 pm

Hawks86 wrote:Just for clarity. The one that some of you dislike is not the one in the middle of the field, is it ?
Yep. In a spectrum of 1-10, with 1 being low and 10 being high, I'd say the script 'Cats is a 9, the old school Bobcat head is a 6 and the "dead rat head" or "puking panther" is a... 2? It was only instituted as a logo for athletics in 1997, I believe.

There. I've said it. I don't like the elongated bobcat logo. I also drive a foreign vehicle, put cream in my coffee and occasionally jaywalk if oncoming traffic allows. What a dissenter! :wink:

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:24 pm

There are (were) 2 Cat heads, though.

This one
you hate less than the old one?

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:28 pm

I don't see the difference, other than color/outline.

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:30 pm

nevadacat wrote:I don't see the difference, other than color/outline.
There is one. One is updated and is the one they use now. Yes, it's mostly just an "outline" but there's more detail to the "mane" of the Bobcat.

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:32 pm

longhorn_22 wrote:
There is one. One is updated and is the one they use now. Yes, it's mostly just an "outline" but there's more detail to the "mane" of the Bobcat.
Ah. Never was good at those "find the differences in the pictures" things in the Sunday paper. :(

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:33 pm

Cat head +1

AlphaOAlum

Post by AlphaOAlum » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:34 pm

longhorn_22 wrote:
I'm really not as fired up about this subject as my 5 posts in this thread indicate. Seriously, I have preferences, but I won't be out there advocating altering the field or anything.

With that disclaimer, I think the difference between the two elongated 'Cat heads proves that... there are more than two ways to skin a cat? It's the same logo, just with or without additional stuff.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:35 pm

AlphaOAlum wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:Just for clarity. The one that some of you dislike is not the one in the middle of the field, is it ?
Yep. In a spectrum of 1-10, with 1 being low and 10 being high, I'd say the script 'Cats is a 9, the old school Bobcat head is a 6 and the "dead rat head" or "puking panther" is a... 2? It was only instituted as a logo for athletics in 1997, I believe.

There. I've said it. I don't like the elongated bobcat logo. I also drive a foreign vehicle, put cream in my coffee and occasionally jaywalk if oncoming traffic allows. What a dissenter! :wink:
As a clarification, what someone was saying about the recruit commenting on the "dead rat" being the old version I think it was in reference to this version of the cat as pointed out by Coach in a previous post:

This was changed mid-2000's to the current one as seen in the original post of this thread which is not as "elongated."

The old one above is the one that was on the helmet in the late 90's just before Kramer came. I hated the look of those helmets, and didn't like that logo but I do like the newer cat head. As much as I really like the Cats script logo, the new cat head is the most recognizable and identifiable logo MSU has to use in my opinion.

Edit: Apparently I was a bit slow in getting this in :lol: To answer the questions, while subtle there are distinct differences in the two. The outline, the extra "stripe" in the neck, the outline actually shows the split in the ears, the neck portion is not as long and it is flat rather than curved. Like I said, subtle but it looks much more complete and professional in my opinion.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

bpcats
Member # Retired

Post by bpcats » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:38 pm

If I remember correctly the football program adopted the M on the side of the helmet to go with University's branding theme at the time. Makes sense but a lot of times reminds people of Michigan program especially on caps.

My own preference would be for one of the Bobcat heads so that it would be unique and couldn't be confused with other teams. But whether it actually looks good on the helmet remains to be seen.

I would settle for the Cat script although I think that there are look alikes somewhere.. I like it better than the large M.

The Griz seem to have the right idea as they have no problems with branding. I like both their helmets which include Griz script or their newest Griz Paw that covers the back of the helmet.

I would like a helmet design that doesn't get confused with some other team. Something original.

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:39 pm

kmax wrote: The old one above is the one that was on the helmet in the late 90's just before Kramer came. I hated the look of those helmets, and didn't like that logo but I do like the newer cat head. As much as I really like the Cats script logo, the new cat head is the most recognizable and identifiable logo MSU has to use in my opinion.
Agreed. I like the way you put that.

DicTater

Post by DicTater » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:00 pm

THE dumbest thing MSU ever did was going away from the Cats script on the helmets. Not only did they lose the iconic word worn on the helmets of 2 championship teams, it allowed the Griz to steal the script without a peep from MSU. I love the Cats script, but face facts, it's been usurped by UM. Therefore, we have to go with bobcat head logo since the M is kind of meaningless and incredibly boring.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:08 pm

I took the script logo and turned it white with gold lines tracing the letters, with a blue background. I'm not smart enough to post the picture though.

I like all the logos, but really like the script the most.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:30 pm

DicTater wrote:THE dumbest thing MSU ever did was going away from the Cats script on the helmets. Not only did they lose the iconic word worn on the helmets of 2 championship teams, it allowed the Griz to steal the script without a peep from MSU. I love the Cats script, but face facts, it's been usurped by UM. Therefore, we have to go with bobcat head logo since the M is kind of meaningless and incredibly boring.
I thought the '76 team had a plain gold helmet without any logo on it. Just what I remember, but its been awhile too

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:32 pm

cats2506 wrote:
DicTater wrote:THE dumbest thing MSU ever did was going away from the Cats script on the helmets. Not only did they lose the iconic word worn on the helmets of 2 championship teams, it allowed the Griz to steal the script without a peep from MSU. I love the Cats script, but face facts, it's been usurped by UM. Therefore, we have to go with bobcat head logo since the M is kind of meaningless and incredibly boring.
I thought the '76 team had a plain gold helmet without any logo on it. Just what I remember, but its been awhile too
I believe you are correct.

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:57 pm

longhorn_22 wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
I believe you are correct.

Yep, correct.

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

Killdeer Cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Killdeer Cat » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:27 pm

I despise the M, like the Cat head logo, but I love the CATS script. Never liked the M and never will. I would buy twice as much MSU shwag if they brought the script back full time.

2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 083190 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:57 pm

The gold fill in the current cat head logo would wash out against the gold helmets. It would have to be modified to show up well on the helmets. Like the cat head logo, but not on the helmets as it is now. Not a big fan of the script logo. It seems kinda tired. The M is okay, but it just seems like it is a little off.

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:29 pm

083190 wrote:The gold fill in the current cat head logo would wash out against the gold helmets. It would have to be modified to show up well on the helmets. Like the cat head logo, but not on the helmets as it is now. Not a big fan of the script logo. It seems kinda tired. The M is okay, but it just seems like it is a little off.
It would be a blue Cat head.