Tipped Passes

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

billingscat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Tipped Passes

Post by billingscat » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:38 pm

Just wondering what you all think is the reason for Lulay's tipped passes. Not exactly sure how many there were on saturday but it seemed like a lot. Is it Lulay or is it the O-line? Or is it a combo of the two, what do you all think?

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:46 pm

Its a combo of both. If you watch Lulay throw every medium range throw, it is on a rope. Weather it be 5 yards or 15 yards. He has the same release for both. If you saw 2 of those tipped passes actually hit the Griz guy in the helmet. That is something I think they need to work on this next year. I mean I like that he gets it out there with authority and is usually low (which is good) with the ball ... that keeps the ball from sailing high and into the oppossings team hands. Tips are going to happen a lot more if you throw if 50 times a game and you know as a defense its coming. That is one reason I think we need more balance on this team next year with the pass/run. We need to get the running game going. MSU was just way too (Although scarey passing the ball) one dimensional this year.

grizhatr
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by grizhatr » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:25 pm

Its also because Birkland is too short. When he is matched up against the defender that's over 6', he's in deep. They guy can just put his hands up and presto, tipped ball.

suckitgriz
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by suckitgriz » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:41 pm

Clearly the O-Line. As an O-Lineman you must get the defender's arms down as a top priority. That is fundamental in having success as an offensive lineman

grizhatr
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by grizhatr » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:59 pm

We need all Hirst size guys on the front O, then we would be perfect on size, who know's if they would have enough gas to make it through the entire game???

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:36 pm

I posted these thoughts on another topic, but this is my opinion, as a former Offensive Lineman (H.S. and College).

Your first priority in pass blocking is to block the man you are taking (dependent on the blocking scheme). The second priority is to engage him. In other words, you must be hitting him. Because of this, the D-lineman does not have an opportunity to raise his arms and block the pass. Obviously, we did not succeed, especially on the second priority.

All of that being said, Lulay's throwing motion tends to be more 3/4 arm, than straight overhead. In the big scheme of things, this should probably be fixed, and if he goes to the next level, I'm sure that it will. There are plenty of college quarterbacks who have flawed throwing motions, and they do just fine in college, but have trouble in the pros. Obviously, the 3/4 motion means that he is releasing the ball an inch or two lower than if he was throwing straight over head. And that makes some of the difference.

Another factor is the D-Lineman staying in their lanes. I noticed that the D-Lineman for the Griz were very disciplined and stayed in their lanes, thus shutting down Lulay's passing lanes, and closing off some areas for Lulay to scramble. On the other side of the ball, I noticed that our D-Linemen did not stay in their lanes as much....allowing for more passing lanes, and leading to several of Ochs successful scrambles.

By the way, all of the aforementioned things happend during the EWU game...especially during the second half. For example, in OT, 1st and goal from the two, and two passed get batted down.

Just my humble (and only slightly informed :) ) opinion.

GO CATS
Last edited by HelenaCat95 on Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bozgriz

Post by Bozgriz » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:41 pm

I wonder if Kramer still thinks this is the best cat OL since 1970... :roll:

Kind of insulting to the '76 and '84 guys isn't it???

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:43 pm

Bozgriz wrote:I wonder if Kramer still thinks this is the best cat OL since 1970... :roll:

Kind of insulting to the '76 and '84 guys isn't it???
Not really. I thought they did a pretty good job considering all the blitzing the Griz were doing. Griz knew they were going to pass on almost every play. That makes it tough on an OL. Can pin your ears back. I guarantee if we had Ryan Johnson back there the Griz would not have been blizting as much.

FootballFan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by FootballFan » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:02 pm

Right on Cardiac, I believe it was a very insulting comment to former bobcat o-lines. The best since 1970, I think not. Gave up 5 sacks, and how many other times was Lulay hit? 10-15? Total of 43 yards rushing! Kramer you must kidding the best o-line since 1970. I hope you start figuring out that everything associated with you isn't always the best ever!

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:11 pm

FootballFan wrote:Right on Cardiac, I believe it was a very insulting comment to former bobcat o-lines. The best since 1970, I think not. Gave up 5 sacks, and how many other times was Lulay hit? 10-15? Total of 43 yards rushing! Kramer you must kidding the best o-line since 1970. I hope you start figuring out that everything associated with you isn't always the best ever!
I think you misunderstood me .. I definately think this is a top 2-3 OL for the Cats. You have to keep in mind that we were running a spread 4/5 WR set A LOT. When you do that and your receivers can't get open your going to get your QB hit. Plain and simple. They were blitzing 70% of the time so how do you block 7 guys with 5? You can't. When we used the 1 TE set and run 2-3 WR's our OL has been ROCK SOLID .. plain and simple.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:51 pm

HelenaCat95 wrote:
All of that being said, Lulay's throwing motion tends to be more 3/4 arm, than straight overhead. In the big scheme of things, this should probably be fixed, and if he goes to the next level, I'm sure that it will. There are plenty of college quarterbacks who have flawed throwing motions, and they do just fine in college, but have trouble in the pros. Obviously, the 3/4 motion means that he is releasing the ball an inch or two lower than if he was throwing straight over head. And that makes some of the difference..

GO CATS
I disagree about Lulay's release. take a closer look...I don't think you'll find a more "over the top" release anywhere. Ochs on the other hand has a 3/4 or almost sidearm release...that's why they move him in the pocket so much. However he knows his release can't get over D-linemen with their hands extended, so he doesn't try. Knows his limitations!

2024 Resume dominance