DAWS - Special Teams Player of the Week

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BobcatBlood
BobcatNation Letterman

DAWS - Special Teams Player of the Week

Post by BobcatBlood » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:48 am

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:54 am

I forgot to mention in my other post about how much we will miss both Dusty and Matt McCoullough next season. That part of our kicking game(s) was very dependable. Often unnoticed but very valuable.

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:19 pm

Congrats to Dusty on a GREAT career at MSU. Definitely impossible to replace a guy who had a PERFECT career...

But this gives me another chance to point out how FAVORABLY our wonderful BSC and it's commish treat the griz:

13 catches 235 yards 1 TD
9 catches 131 yards 2 TD

If the 2 stat-lines above were in contention for Offensive POW, can someone PLEASE tell me how you would ever justify picking the bottom one? Oh, that's right, because it belongs to a griz player and we MUST make sure we don't offend them because they are the GEM of our conference. I'm so sick of the BSC treating the rest of the league like the grizzlies ugly step-child; if you disagree with me, try this: what if Heidleburger had the TOP stat-line and Gatewood the bottom; do you really believe that they'd have given it to Gatewood in that case?

Gatewoods performance CLEARLY outshines Heidleburgers. HOW MANY 200 YARD RECEIVING DAYS WERE THERE IN THE BIG SKY THIS SEASON? ONE and ONLY ONE.

Somewhere I recall some idiot griz fan commenting on how Ricky was Travis' only target on Saturday; would that explain why Travis hit 5 different receivers on the day while Ochs only hit 4 (and Palmer only had ONE catch)?

Yes, I'm mad. Yes, I'm whining. But I really am sick of the BSC and all their bullshiznit preferential treatment of the griz...
Last edited by El_Gato on Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizzlies: 2-5 when it matters most

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:27 pm

It would look pretty silly to have 2 BSC players of the week from a losing team. The Griz definitely deserved to have one player win it this week -- they won the game. Had the Griz been behind the whole game and Ochs would have thrown the ball over 50 times, I'm sure a Griz receiver could have easily ended up with over 200 yards.

Besides, player awards don't matter all that much, although it was great to see Daws getting recognized for his great career.

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:37 pm

bay,

You are OFF, today, dude. You totally missed the point of my rant...

'Sok, though. But please don't speculate on what another player MIGHT HAVE DONE IF...

I'm sick of that kind of logic. Gatewoods PERFORMANCE ON THE FIELD on Saturday was superior to Heidleburgers. If you can't admit that, you're simply "making a stand" for a reason I can't figure out...

Weekly awards like this are designed to "shine the spotlight" on an INDIVIDUAL performance on a given Saturday, whether the players team won or lost the game. If they "don't matter that much", why bother with them at all?

By picking Heidelburger, the league is once again showing its bias toward UM and THAT is what offends me most about this situation...

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:43 pm

El_Gato wrote:Gatewoods PERFORMANCE ON THE FIELD on Saturday was superior to Heidleburgers.
I disagree. Heidelberger had a phenomenal game. He deserves it just as much as Gatewood.

Edit: Nice to see the Big Sky give Daws the Player of the Week/Lifetime Achievement Award. He deserves it, the long snapper never gets noticed but we'll miss him next year.
Last edited by MSU01 on Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:44 pm

I wouldn't say that the weekly awards are biased towards UM, I would say that they are more biased towards teams that won that week. I personally have no problem with that.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:49 pm

El_Gato wrote:bay,

You are OFF, today, dude. You totally missed the point of my rant...

'Sok, though. But please don't speculate on what another player MIGHT HAVE DONE IF...

I'm sick of that kind of logic. Gatewoods PERFORMANCE ON THE FIELD on Saturday was superior to Heidleburgers. If you can't admit that, you're simply "making a stand" for a reason I can't figure out...

Weekly awards like this are designed to "shine the spotlight" on an INDIVIDUAL performance on a given Saturday, whether the players team won or lost the game. If they "don't matter that much", why bother with them at all?

By picking Heidelburger, the league is once again showing its bias toward UM and THAT is what offends me most about this situation...
Unless you had some sort of code woven into your rant that involved picking the first letter of each line and spelling out the Ovaltine secret word of the day, I didn't miss a thing.

There is no Griz bias from the conference in this one. JH deserved it. Gatewood should (and certainly was) considered, as he had a great day, but there's no way we should whine about JH getting this one.

In fact, considering how many BSC player of the week awards the Cats did win this season, I don't think we should really be on the accusatory side of any conspiracy theories.

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:18 pm

You guys' logic is way too full of holes;

Can't be that you have to be on the winning team; our own QB disproves that. Can't be that you can't have 2 guys from the same team; it's been done many times.

Answer the question I posed: If Gatewood had 9 catches, 134 yards, and 2 TD's and Heidleburger had 13/235/1, you're telling me then Ricky would have gotten it? Of course not. That means only one thing: JH got it because he's a griz. Please, your honor, tell me how the logic can work any other way...

Oh, and I notice no one seemed stunned that Ricky's performance was the ONLY 200+ yard receiving day in the 88 games played by Big Sky Conference teams this year. That fact ALONE should have given him the award.

Look, I'm not ranting just because he didn't get it; I'm just tired of the leagues view of the almighty jizz; it's almost as if they look at each other and say "Gee, we haven't given a griz the POW for awhile; they are our best team, let's give them one this week." They GOT their award for this week: The Big Sky Conference championship. The POW is NOT a TEAM award; why not recognize the CLEARLY superior individual performance in the right manner...

Go ahead, blast away fellas, and then tell me which of those 2 performances you'd prefer to see in the box scores by any of our players NEXT season...

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:24 pm

El Gato: If you want to see this week's POW selections as part of a pro-Griz conspiracy, so be it. I respectfully disagree.

At the expense of being too open-minded, I would also advance the theory that Daws didn't have the best special teams game of any player in the conference, either. That was a very nice tip of the hat to both Daws and the Bobcats by the conference. He deserves it, certainly, for his great long snapping career. It was not, however, based on a huge statistical effort for the week.

Please reconcile that into your pro-Griz conspiracy theory.

jagur1
Member # Retired

Post by jagur1 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:29 pm

Maybe Never escaped knocked out Gato and is posting on E's Computer? :D

Never mistake activity for accomplishment.

I'm sick of the man because the man is a thief.

Four

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:32 pm

And if you check box scores of all the big sky games, you'll find it hard to pick out any performance that was CLEARLY superior. In that case, I have no problem with them giving it in the sense of a "lifetime achievement" award.

If Segars had gotten off a couple of half-decent punt or kick returns (which I know would have required us to actually keep the kicks inbounds), I would have agreed with that mentality if they'd given the award to him...

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:55 pm

In my opinion there is a lot more to handing out POW awards than "Player X had more yards than Player Y, therefore Player X wins POW". Many MSU players as well as players from other schools have won POW's this season, so to say that there's some sort of Griz conspiracy going on is rather silly, and only reenforces the Griz fans' perceptions of "Griz envy" among MSU fans. MSU threw almost twice as many passes as UM did on Saturday (57-30), so it's not exactly a shocker that MSU's leading receiver had more receptions and yardage than did UM's. Heidelberger was as good or better than Gatewood, and his team won. That has to count for something.
Last edited by MSU01 on Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:17 pm

Forget it. You guys are "making a stand" as am I. If I have my choice on seeing those #'s in one of our receivers columns in every game next season, there's no doubt which I'd pick.

I believed it was an INDIVIDUAL award; not a "Our-guy-was-better-because-we-didn't-have-to-throw-the-ball-as-much-and-if-we-did-he'd-have-gotten-better-stats-and-besides-we-won-the-game-&-the-conference-so-our-guy-must-be-better-award..."

I'm done with this topic...

CONGRATULATIONS ON A GREAT CAREER DUSTY & ON A SPECTACULAR GAME RICKY. I apparently am the only one impressed that you had the ONLY 200 yard receiving day in our conference this year...

Sorry I'm so silly, guys...
Last edited by El_Gato on Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:25 pm

Gato: You need to stop spending so much time on egriz. You are starting to sound like those whining drama queens over there. Don't let them suck you into their demented way of thinking.

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:36 pm

It wasn't really intended that way...

Sorry I let it get too carried away. It just seems to me that everything that happens in Missoula gets EXAGGERATED because it's done by a griz, but then I should expect that since they do have the greatest football program in the history of college football.

Now, all you creative griz fans, go ahead and "copy & paste" that last comment to your heart's content; it will really hurt me & my fellow Cats...

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:11 am

El Gato--I have your back on this one. The POW should go to the athlete that had the best week on offense, defense, and special teams.

It is nice to see Daws get the award, but what did he do special that any other LS did differently this year. GATEWOOD had the best offensive performance this week and subsequently this year for a receiver. Ochs had a pretty good day, maybe he should have gotten the award instead of Heidelburg.

Point is, I got your back here EL GATO.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:20 am

WHEW! Finally, a voice of reason is heard...

Thanks Vegas!

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:57 am

Not only was it an amazing performance by Ricky, it was the ALL-TIME best receiving performance in a Cat-griz game. Ricky got screwed.

GO CATS GO!!!

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:26 am

Not only was it an amazing performance by Ricky, it was the ALL-TIME best receiving performance in a Cat-griz game. Ricky got screwed
I don't know the reason Ricky didn't get it but based on his game vs. Heidelburger's he definately got screwed not getting the award. I for one don't buy the you have to win to get the award theory or the spread it around theory. Give it to the player who had the best game that week. No way can you say Ricky didn't outperform Heidelburger win or lose.