Impressed

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BobcatBlood
BobcatNation Letterman

Impressed

Post by BobcatBlood » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:38 am

Saturday was my first game at Washington Grizzly and all I can say is, WOW! That place is incredible. Seriously, they basically have about a two touchdown advantage in every home game just by virtue of the fact that they play in one of the most impressive stadiums I've ever seen at this level. That north endzone is LOUD - numbingly loud.

And, though there was certainly a percentage of fans who were drunk and stupid, the people in general were pretty darn classy. My husband and I sat in section 128 East and were some of the first to arrive. As the section filled in and the maroon started to completely envelope us, I thought - oh, ******. At one point I looked over and saw a navy baseball cap - but as I was letting out a sigh of relief I realized that it was Notre Dame... We were alone in a sea of Griz.

Anyway, couple of Griz fans came over and started chatting with us and then a few more. We had good conversation about players and the schools in general - lots of laughs and compliments. When the game started my mouth started running (all positive about the Cats - nothing negative about the Griz) and someone a few rows up turned around and said - you better be careful. Instantly, all the people around us said, you'll be fine. And we were - a lot of REAL Griz fans (the kind who will still be around if they ever have a losing season) made sure of it.

We yelled our hearts out, always positive. We enjoyed the music and the atmosphere and the good will of 95% of the people around us. I gained an appreciation for the Griz team who is much better than I'd given them credit for and definitely for the fans, who even invited us up to their box at half time and treated us to beers and sandwhiches etc.

I'll never trade my Bobcats for that team down the road. But I had my eyes opened. They aren't all bad.

Bobcat born and Bobcat bred, I'll be a Bobcat till the day I'm dead... but I'll be cheering for the Griz this weekend.

grizhatr
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by grizhatr » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:56 pm

I am going to the playoff game this weekend, and I am not sure who I will cheer for. I wait and see then I guess. There is nothing like a playoff game, and Wash/Griz has an incredible atmosphere. Should be fun, nontheless.

Bozgriz

Post by Bozgriz » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:39 pm

Thanks Bobcatblood, glad to hear you had a pleasant experience.

Its words like these that serve as reminders that in spite of the rivalry and all it creates, these are still young men playing a kids game...

I enjoyed hanging out with several bobcat fans at Red's Friday night, good natured ripping abound, and the great experience that WA/GRIZ created on Saturday. I think visiting teams are in awe of what we have, it should make us spoiled Griz fans think back to the old days at Dornblazer and sitting on green painted bleachers... :D

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:40 pm

Bozgriz wrote:Thanks Bobcatblood, glad to hear you had a pleasant experience.

Its words like these that serve as reminders that in spite of the rivalry and all it creates, these are still young men playing a kids game...

I enjoyed hanging out with several bobcat fans at Red's Friday night, good natured ripping abound, and the great experience that WA/GRIZ created on Saturday. I think visiting teams are in awe of what we have, it should make us spoiled Griz fans think back to the old days at Dornblazer and sitting on green painted bleachers... :D
Half the Griz fans I know don't even know what Dornblazer stadium is/was? Hmmmm :shock:

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:32 pm

Ok, yes the stadium was/is very impressive and very loud. I would say that is was at least 2-3 times louder than ours. I was over by our band and there were lots of blue and gold sportin' fans around us, but even we were surrounded by griz. We went to the press box after the game and a couple of griz fans didn't really want us there, but for the most part they were pretty welcoming. Same story at Bodega Friday night. My only complaint is that you have to park 4 miles away and if you don't know the right place to park, you'll be towed (albertson's). Seriously, I hate walking!!

Cat-theotherwhitemeat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:01 pm

LTCF, I could tell you a great place to park but I'd be giving up my secret place. :wink:

My avatar does not now, nor has in the past, depict a person of mentally challenged state. If you have a problem with it, please call the U.S. department of Bite my A$$. MTBuff/Administrator.