Cheer up boys!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Cheer up boys!

Post by CelticCat » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:43 am

I know, I know, most of us are either really bummed out or still cooling down from Saturday. But I say we reflect on the good things this season gave us, and what the future has in store for the Cats.

Offensively, we all found out just how much of a stud Lulay really is. He is the heart and soul of this team, and frankly I don't see us winning 3 games without him. The man is one of the best college football players, hell, one of the best football players period I've had the privelage to watch. He put up record numbers this year, we should all be proud of that, and thank God up in heaven that he is back for another year next year! And we don't have the best receiver corp in the league, but it is the best we've had in the last few years, in my opinion. Gatewood is proving to be a stud, Guinn should emerge more with Sullivan out next year. Roosevelt was impressing me earlier in the year, hopefully he can return and improve upon his game (he had the stone-hand syndrom our receivers had earlier in the year). I also hope that Alley gets in, he looked pretty good.

Now the bad part about the O, I think this is pretty obvious. WE NEED A RUNNING GAME! 80 yards from our RBs a game will not cut it. We can't have Lulay throwing the ball 45-60 times a game. We need balance. Hopefully a running back steps up for next year and proves to be the go to guy. Otherwise I fancy an offense like the Griz used against us. Rotate them in depending on what kind of play you want to run, etc. We don't necessarily need one star RB, just a solid group who average 100+ yards a game as a group. With our OL all coming back, assuming they stay healthy, I see this happening with pretty much any of the RBs we have. We lose Wolf and Sullivan, both were key parts of the offens this year, and they both will be missed.

Defensively, we lose some great players, like Sebestyen, Cooper, Clark, Gluhm, Molock and Eggart. But we still have a lot of players returning, and I have confidence they can step it up next year.

I had a lot more to say but I'm getting really tired and I have class in the morning.

Point was, focus on the positive things of this year, and I hope everyone is as excited for next years squad as I am!

Griz fans, flame away if you must.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:29 am

I agree, there is a lot to be positive about especially on offense. If we can fill a couple of holes left by Sullivan and Wolf we should be okay. The running game I just don't know what to say. I think everyone had high hopes with the addition of both Domenick and Milton but neither really panned out this season. Do we stick with them, add another transfer, go with a freshman if we can recruit one, ????? That part of the offense is a real big concern right now but the passing game and O-line are something to really build around.

Defensively I don't know where we start. The secondary should be vastly improved with Smith and Hunter back and our group of safeties. The LB corp is solid but the line needs to improve big time. I really think this should be an area of focus in recruiting this season. The way we were steamrolled the last 3 games scares the hell out of me. If we can't stop anyone's running game next season 6-5 will be about where we end up again.

Special teams, we have to have a better kicking game period. Doroski will be back for kickoffs but everything else needs improvement. Hopefully Bolton will come back strong and make everything better. 50% on FG's isn't good enough. And how much did we miss Corey Smith this season? I can't remember one big return (punt of kickoff) all season - except for a few that were called back due to penalty. That was big for us and we need to fill that hole. If I remember correctly that was something Kramer was planning on Eddie Smith doing so hopefully if he can come in healthy next season and that part of the special teams play will improve as well.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:56 am

Agree totally with everything above. Seems like Bobcat fans are very in unison on how this team looks and what we need to improve on. The running game is a BIG ISSUE going into next year I think and we need to definately get an inside/outside type runner that can break runs to the outside if the middle is clogged. Domineck runs tough, but he just cannot swivel his hips/change direction and cut it up the field before the pursuit gets there I think. I don't think its all Domineck's fault either though ... the OL was not producing the big line surge/holes this year either I thought so when the holes are there, Domineck was usually late through the hole or didn't see it etc.

TOP 2 POSITIONAL ISSUES NEXT YEAR:

1) RB
2) DL (I thought their OL wore our guys down and dominated in running game). I'm not sure if this unit just wore down or what, but they definately didn't end the year on a postive note. It didn't help that Rogers went down though in the EW game as he was probably 70% the last game. Hopefully ROGERS/MATAKIS/LOWE/PAPICH/OTOOL can really hit it hard in the offseason this year (get bigger while keeping speed). O'tool has the size of Rogers, but not the tenacity yet I don't think. I also wouldn't mind seeing BIRKLAND AND SAUCEDO being moved over to the DL as we have darn good depth at OL next year I think. We need to big horses in on the DL that can either dominate or at least sub in and out and keep our DL fresh. Birkland was a stud DT in high school and I think with our OL depth he should be moved back over there. I also heard he would like to play defense as well. What does everyone think on this?

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:43 pm

I agree that it would be nice to have a BIG offensive line all the way across the front. The smaller guards probably are technically just fine for pass blocking and maybe pulling and leading an outside sweep, but they do not move the pile in the middle! They also do not keep the opponent's D-line from knocking down Travis' passes. Maybe they should cut block their men on pass plays. I think to have a capable running team we need to average 285 lbs across the front.

We could also use larger D tackles to get the push needed up the middle and keep from wearing down in the 4th quarter when teams like to run the ball. The other option is to have enough of them to substitute late in the game. The only drawback with this is that we need to find a lot of good players...and we have trouble finding enough to start.

We need a long snapper a holder and hopefully a healthy Tyler bolton and Travis Doroski. I also think we could use someone who knows enough about kicking to be able to make corrections in their technique if they are having trouble.

We need another Wideout. Perhaps the ones we have will step up. there is some talent in the scout kids we had this year so I think we are in fairly decent shape there. Rundle, Lulay, etc.

We need a legitimate kick returner. Mike Williams had some hard luck with injuries and never got a chance to show what he can do...but we also need to be able to truct whomever does it not to fumble kicks and hit the wedge on the dead run.

We need another Sam LB and others to provide depth. Wesly Mauia is supposed to be pretty good.

Hopefully our young TE will be up to the task of replacing Blace Wolf.

Dominek needs to get in good shape, Milton needs to solve the problem of nerve damage in his shoulder, Evan Graves sounds like he's going to be a good one. (I went to the Football Banquet yesterday and had an opportuninty to see some of these kids.)

Last but certainly foremost we need lots of DB's. We have some decent safeties, but we could use a few more CB's to provide depth and competition for Austin and Fuller. At the banquet they talked about Kahiam Hunter getting another year, and Eddie Smith being ready to go. somehow I still think we need some more help. I just don't trust Smith physically being 100% and Hunter played mostly nickel back and got burned in Iowa when Joey was not able to be in the lineup. Fuller looks ready to play with another off season under his belt, but I think Cory Austin is a long way away from being a first line CB.

I believe an important facet of next years team is being able to run the ball and shut people down so that we can build depth and experience for the following year. Carpenter is going to need some reps in order to be able to replace Travis the following year. We need toi quit winning games on the last possession. We need to put them away early so that we can play a lot of kids.
Last edited by Helcat72 on Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2024 Resume dominance

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:44 pm

Will Hunter be back next season? He is a senior.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:46 pm

CelticCat wrote:Will Hunter be back next season? He is a senior.
At the banquet yesterday they said he would be back!

2024 Resume dominance

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:46 pm

According to the MSU website, Hunter signed with MSU in 2001, so he did not use his redshirt as a freshman. I see no reason why he wouldn't be able to come back next year if he chooses to do so.

bronco
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bronco » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:54 pm

I think your running back is good. Lulay and Cooper are excellent players.

Your d-line was a little undersized and the kicker going 5 for 12 on kicks over 30 yards is not good.
I don't understand why the cat coaches didn't grab the two players taunting the Griz players when they ran out on the field. Not a smart move in light of what happened in S Carolina over the weekend. Not to mention why you'd want to make the crowd louder and fire up the opposing team more.

Hope the cat fans were treated well in Missoula. I didn't see any problems. I still don't understand the popularity of the eat $hit cheer but if you like it....it's all yours. I'm more of a traditionalist with the poor who ever is loosing cheer.

See ya next year in the box.

grizhatr
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by grizhatr » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:54 pm

I have been thinking about all of the crap that just happened in the last three weeks. I will begin by pointing out that our defense perhaps the Mr. Linders better get his guys that are up to bat next, ready to go for next year early. Saturday was a pathetic bobcat defense. He definately coaches our D different that Obrien did. I just don't think our defense showed the aggressive style like in years past. Also, we better not waste another year trying to figure out the offense. Something has to be put together early, and continued through the offseason with the players that are going to stay around. This is critical if we want to go out of the gate ready, and not holding back. Quite frankly, this program can't wait around for the next, and the next year after that. What happened in 2004 was disappointing, and I really don't know who to blame. I think everyone is held accountable on this one. Lulay can't be the one to do everything, and it just seems that is what was expected of him, both fans and players. I really hope we utilize his brother as a receiver. According to Kramer, he is more athletic than Travis. He can do just about anything, and why not make him the next Turnquist? With Gatewood back and possibly Lulay out there too, we could really turn it on in the receiving corps. Our running game has to be a top priority. Justin is ok, but he is no Ryan Johnson. Sorry to be carrying on, but its just a real sorry ending to something that looked so bright after NAU.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:24 pm

bronco wrote:I think your running back is good. Lulay and Cooper are excellent players.

Your d-line was a little undersized and the kicker going 5 for 12 on kicks over 30 yards is not good.
I don't understand why the cat coaches didn't grab the two players taunting the Griz players when they ran out on the field. Not a smart move in light of what happened in S Carolina over the weekend. Not to mention why you'd want to make the crowd louder and fire up the opposing team more.

Hope the cat fans were treated well in Missoula. I didn't see any problems. I still don't understand the popularity of the eat $hit cheer but if you like it....it's all yours. I'm more of a traditionalist with the poor who ever is loosing cheer.

See ya next year in the box.
Then you must not have been looking. There were several "problems" with fan treatment, but you're obviously still crying about how bad you were treated in Bozeman last year and were blind to how some of your Griz "fans" were acting towards the Bobcat fans. Whatever turns your crank though. Keep preaching your sad song about how much worse the Bobcat fans are in Bozeman andd maybe someday someone will buy into it. :roll:

The difference is that the Bobcat fans don't come on here and complain about it for hours. It goes with the territory and it will never change - On either side...
Last edited by catatac on Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:47 pm

I don't imagine you see too much "mistreatment" when you are surrounded by griz fans, just like I didn't see much last year when everyone around me was a Cat fan. The difference is, I don't deny it happened.

If you want to truly gain "perspective," try sitting in the Bobcat section next time. I was right at the back of the Bobcat section, where the griz fans' seats started right behind us, and we were bombarded with insults all game long. They liked to pick on the women... well, until I got up in their face and told them to please try it, just one more time. They directed their idiocy elsewhere after that.

It is easy to win with grace, it is much more difficult to lose with it. Unfortunately, the griz seem incapable of either.

GO CATS GO!!!

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:58 pm

BozoneCat wrote:I don't imagine you see too much "mistreatment" when you are surrounded by griz fans, just like I didn't see much last year when everyone around me was a Cat fan. The difference is, I don't deny it happened.

If you want to truly gain "perspective," try sitting in the Bobcat section next time. I was right at the back of the Bobcat section, where the griz fans' seats started right behind us, and we were bombarded with insults all game long. They liked to pick on the women... well, until I got up in their face and told them to please try it, just one more time. They directed their idiocy elsewhere after that.

It is easy to win with grace, it is much more difficult to lose with it. Unfortunately, the griz seem incapable of either.
Yeah, they cant win with either. One thing that just gives me a smile that proves that our program is going in the right direction/Griz fans are taking notice is the way the Griz now act when they beat us :) It seems they have turned it around now and its now a benchmark for them to beat US to have a successful season? Things are definately a changing :)

Case in point, my office at work was decorated with Grizzly balloons/streamers/silly string this morning. So I'm assuming they WERE VERY VERY HAPPY that they won this game as it sure seemed all of them were VERY QUIET during the week ... hmmmmmm :shock: