Perspective

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

thetruth3
BobcatNation Redshirt

Perspective

Post by thetruth3 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:27 pm

there were some things that i noticed from the game on saturday that made me a little uneasy about this whole rivalry. It seems to me that it is almost as if the game has taken a back seat to some of the egos of the fans. some, i repeat, some of the griz fans acted with such incredible lack of class after the game as cat fans that i was around left the stadium that it almost made me sick. unfortunately, i have to say that it was probably the same way for their fans after the game last year in bozeman. i'm sick and tired of fans who claim to be adults who live life so vicariously through these teams that they can't control their actions after one of these games. i would like to urge cat fans to next year to show the class that this game deserves and end this trend of absolute hatred that is shown between these two teams and let the game speak for itself. let's keep this in perspective, it is still only a game!

BWahlberg
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BWahlberg » Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:40 pm

Truth,

It happens to the visiting teams fans each year. You run into jerks. Both sides have jerks, and it's the jerks that go to these games, look specifically for the fans wearing blue and gold / or Maroon and Silver and "let them have it"

To counter your complaint I heard some of the cat fans in the south end zone do the "eat sh!t grizzlies go cats go" cheer a few times early in the game. Hows that for class?

I'm just saying it goes both ways. After the game I was walking out with some cat fans and told them good game, and that Lulay is a great QB, his accuracy when he has time is unbelievable.

profisme
Member # Retired

Post by profisme » Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:24 pm

I have to agree a lot of what both of you guys said. I was in the south endzone, and heard the infamous cheer. I didn't participate, but it didn't seem to bother too many people. As a matter of fact, I heard a much worse cheer coming from Griz fans.

I wasn't bothered by the cheers either way, it was mostly the middle-aged Griz fans who would stand up and taunt Cat fans. I sat by a few Griz fans and they were very cordial, to say the least. As a matter of fact, they remarked how gutsy it was to run a fake punt to the endzone.

I was in awe of the stadium and the complex there in Missoula. It truly is a very awesome place and I can understand why people enjoy going to games there. I was pretty aware that the team that showed up to play would win because the teams were evenly matched. Missoula outplayed the Cats and deserved to win.

On one last note, I think that the personal foul penalties weren't called often enough, and the ones that were called were weak at best. I had a member of the Missoula track team sitting behind me in the second half who was being a jerk, to say the least, and when the personal foul was called on Grant Elliot, when we were on defense, he said they got it right. I laughed because the penalty should have been on Jonathan Molock not Elliot, for obvious reasons (Elliot doesn't play defense). This is of course not that important, but it just showed how uninformed he was.

All in all, I would say that the experience was a good one, with a few bad apples thrown in to attempt to make it miserable for opposing fans.

-Elias P. Harmon-

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:39 pm

I sat in the south endzone in the middle of several friz fans and even though they liked to "promote" their team and give me some good natured ribbing, they were very good fans and we traded a couple of barbs but had a good time.

On the other hand I heard (my Wife saw them)... there were griz fans throwing things and cursing at the Bobcat team after the game when they were walking around the side of the stadium going to the locker rooms.

2024 Resume dominance

Cats15
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Cats15 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:48 pm

I also would say I had a pretty good time at the game,well as good as i could as the cats lost),but there were quite a few jerks that i ran into,i do agree it happens both ways. I really dont think i would be affended if i was a griz fan and heard the eat sh&* grizzly's chant.I was in the parents section in the stadium right on the end, next to the griz section. There were 3 or4 adults acting like they were in high school with their remarks and it was really bad when they would yell out how bad a player (so and so) is doing and to see his parents right behind me hearing it all. I felt so bad for them. there was no reason to make it personal but those fans seemed to think it did. But on the other hand i did meet some nice fans while walking out and they told us nice game and i wished them good luck in the playoffs. The stadium is amazing and i thought i was going to go deff some times when that north endzone got goin. boy i wish we could close off our endzone.So thanks to most of u in missoula for a good trip. the game was good and the bars were great. :lol:

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:51 pm

What a shocker, despite all bronco has told us the past year, there ARE a**hole fans who wear maroon as well as those who wear blue and gold. Prefacing this by saying that the majority of Griz fans either were friendly or indifferent to myself and the other MSU fans I saw, I was called a "loser" (this one baffles me) and heard "Bobcats suck", as well as other things I can't repeat on this board, more than a few times before, and especially after, the game. I also heard about the treatment of the MSU players after the game, which is disgusting if true (the same goes for any mistreatment of UM players last year, which I have also heard rumors of). I hate to hear the cheers that are derisive of the opposing team except for the traditional "Poor Bobcats/Grizzlies" chants, which again come from both sides, and mainly from the students. Some people need to drink a little less alcohol and a little more of something else in my opinion. Overall, it's a great experience watching a game in Missoula as long as you can ignore the jerks and focus on all the good things they've got there. That pre-game flyover was amazing, perhaps because I was in the South endzone and they came from right behind us so we never saw 'em coming until they were right there!
Last edited by MSU01 on Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:19 pm

Like always, most of the fans are ok, but you have a few jerks. we got a few comments and snide remarks. but we also walked with a nice couple after the game who commented that we played well and that Travis seemed like a great kid. Very nice couple. On the other hand, I did see fans taunting and cursing our players as they left the stadium-not much class there. That was the thing that seemed way out of line to me.