Email from Matt Dougherty

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Email from Matt Dougherty

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:23 am

I just got a PM from Matt about the weekend in Bozeman this past week. He was having trouble posting it on the board and wanted me to pass this along to everyone.

Hey,

It's Matt from the Sports Network. I wanted to reply but it wouldnt let me. Anyway, I did have a good trip to Bozeman. I just focused the topic of the article on the emotions of making/missing the postseason, which I thought was timely considering so many teams will deal with that in the next few weeks. Not mentioning Bozeman or the fans was just because I stuck to that theme, not because I had a bad time. Actually, I had a great time. I've never done so many TV/radio interviews in one place, and I really felt welcome in that way. I don't know the names of most of the places I went, but headed out with Bill Lamberty to dinner (steakhouse, started with a P), had breakfast with some of the radio guys Saturday, and went to a place right by the stadium for dinner after the game Sat. night. The downer was I've been sick recently and am still not able to drink. Next time down I'll make sure to hit the bar scene as well. Great atmosphere and great game, nice view with the snow already on the mountain tops. I was impressed with the fans enthusiasm in the first half, understandably that seemed to turn to nervousness a bit in the second but it was still loud. Came away very impressed with Lulay as well, if he's not on the final list for the Payton this year he'll make the preseason next year.
Again, had a good time in Bozeman just chose to focus the theme of that first part of the column in a different direction. Feel free to share this w/the board if you like.

Thanks for the response Matt! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay in Bozeman. We all hope you can make it back out next year for a game as well. I hope you are feeling better this week. I hate being sick as well and its going around a lot here lately.
Last edited by CARDIAC_CATS on Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

theblackgecko
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by theblackgecko » Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:46 pm

That explains a lot. I've seen quite few football games, and Saturday was definately a "classic." If the game is bad, it makes sense to talk about how great Bozeman is, but few games will ever be as interesting, or important, for both teams as waht happened last Saturday.

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:55 pm

I think the main reason most of us were upset is because of how Doherty, and even more so Tony Moss before him, have gushed and gushed about Missoula for paragraph upon paragraph when they have attended griz games. I don't buy some of what he said - I think he flat out screwed us over. How hard would it have been to have said something like, "I had the pleasure of making my way out to Bozeman, MT last weekend to attend the much-hyped game pitting the Bobcats vs. the Eagles of Eastern Washington. The game certainly lived up to its billing, and words can hardly convey what a great football game this was. From the snow-tipped mountains painting the background to the lively tailgates leading up to the game to the loud and boisterous crowd that was loud from the get-go, this was a great college football atmosphere and a great experience..."

GO CATS GO!!!

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:20 pm

I seriously think you guys are over-reacting to this. I don't take it as a diss on Bozeman or MSU. Face it, maybe those guys really DID like their time in Missoula more than they did in Bozeman. It IS possible, you know.

Who cares what this guy thinks or writes anyway except this: I believe he's been wrong everytime he's picked a Cat game for the last month and this week? He's picking the shizz...

GO CATS!!!

Grizzlies: 2-5 when it matters most

The_Bobcats_Suck
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by The_Bobcats_Suck » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:22 pm

BozoneCat wrote:I think the main reason most of us were upset is because of how Doherty, and even more so Tony Moss before him, have gushed and gushed about Missoula for paragraph upon paragraph when they have attended griz games. I don't buy some of what he said - I think he flat out screwed us over. How hard would it have been to have said something like, "I had the pleasure of making my way out to Bozeman, MT last weekend to attend the much-hyped game pitting the Bobcats vs. the Eagles of Eastern Washington. The game certainly lived up to its billing, and words can hardly convey what a great football game this was. From the snow-tipped mountains painting the background to the lively tailgates leading up to the game to the loud and boisterous crowd that was loud from the get-go, this was a great college football atmosphere and a great experience..."
LOL---That is the funniest thing I have ever read.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:39 pm

After reading his email, what he ended up writing makes sense. Different writers and different games lead to different stories. It sounded like he had a good time and got some good exposure to MSU and the Bozeman community. Hopefully the team and the program give him reasons to come back in the future.

Oh, sure, some random Southern Illinois or Georgia Southern (or other school with a direction in its name) I-AA bulletin board fan won't be compelled to say "I heard you guys have a nice stadium and a great gameday atmosphere" from reading the article, but that will come with time and more exposure. Matt's first of many trips sounded pretty positive, and that will only get better with time.

And, if I need to say it again... hookers, fellas, hookers.

theblackgecko
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by theblackgecko » Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:21 pm

BozoneCat wrote: I think the main reason most of us were upset is because of how Doherty, and even more so Tony Moss before him, have gushed and gushed about Missoula for paragraph upon paragraph when they have attended griz games.
Tony was treated like an ambassador from another world in Missoula, which is a major reason Tony was a huge fan of the city of Missoula. If you check the archives, when Tony did come to Bozeman, all he found was Griz envy. (Just saying what Tony saw, let's not get in an envy arguement.)
El_Gato wrote:I seriously think you guys are over-reacting to this. I don't take it as a diss on Bozeman or MSU. Face it, maybe those guys really DID like their time in Missoula more than they did in Bozeman. It IS possible, you know.
Exactly. After Matt gets sent to a few more of the I-AA college towns, he'll realize Bozeman is a decent place. Just don't start getting Missoula envy if he likes it better there.