serious question

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

grizbeer
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by grizbeer » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:46 pm

El_Gato wrote:The ones I can least tolerate are those who never even attended UM; every time I see someone wearing the griz colors I ask them when they attended. I would estimate over the last 5 years that I've been doing this roughly 25% of the people I've polled (there's that damn El Gato and his stupid polls again!) never attended UM and around half of them never got a degree from there...

If that's not a bandwagon fan, I'm not sure there is such a thing...
El Gato I usually like your posts, but this is the stupidest concept I have ever heard. So only an Alum can be a fan? So basically there are very few fans of professional teams, since there are not a lot of people around who have played.

I grew up in Missoula and have been a fan of the Griz my whole life, followed the team from wherever I lived, but because I did not attend UM I am not a true fan? Dennis Washington didn't attend UM, so he shouldn't wear a Griz hat? So if you don't go to college you cannot be a fan of college football? Think about how many alum there are of each school , and what kind of fan base this leaves you with. Is this really what you want?

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:03 pm

grizbeer wrote:
El_Gato wrote:The ones I can least tolerate are those who never even attended UM; every time I see someone wearing the griz colors I ask them when they attended. I would estimate over the last 5 years that I've been doing this roughly 25% of the people I've polled (there's that damn El Gato and his stupid polls again!) never attended UM and around half of them never got a degree from there...

If that's not a bandwagon fan, I'm not sure there is such a thing...
El Gato I usually like your posts, but this is the stupidest concept I have ever heard. So only an Alum can be a fan? So basically there are very few fans of professional teams, since there are not a lot of people around who have played.

I grew up in Missoula and have been a fan of the Griz my whole life, followed the team from wherever I lived, but because I did not attend UM I am not a true fan? Dennis Washington didn't attend UM, so he shouldn't wear a Griz hat? So if you don't go to college you cannot be a fan of college football? Think about how many alum there are of each school , and what kind of fan base this leaves you with. Is this really what you want?
This topic has been hashed almost to death in several threads. IMO it doesn't matter if you went there or not, but if you cal yourself a fan and stick with the same team you're OK in my book. The annoying thing is the # of Griz fans that are simply fans because they're winning. If the Griz started putting up losing seasons, and (when) the Cats started consistently being better than the Griz year after year, many of the s0-called Griz fans would closet the Griz gear and don the Blue&Gold. Guaranteed. If you don't believe it, you're wrong. I've literally seen it happen here in Great Falls! :roll:

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:22 pm

catatac,

Thanks for the back-up. Grizbeer, look, there are a-hole fans that are alums and those that are not. I was referring to those who've picked the team, as catatac said, simply because they're winning and then act arrogantly. I can accept someone like you being a fan because griz sports has been a big part of your life, ALL your life, just as MSU has been to me (I'm a 3rd generation Bobcat, btw).

To me the "professional" analogy doesn't apply; I feel that college sports are different because you have an opportunity to get "closer" to the teams, coaches, players, etc... Those of us who've attended and/or played for either school KNOW where the "feelings" come from because we've lived it.

I just have little/no tolerance for the bandwagonners who don't have a clue about the history of their team or know anything about either school except for their football teams won-loss record...

BTW, I'm glad you enjoy most of my posts; I do too! :wink: :wink: :lol:

Grizzlies: 2-5 when it matters most

grizbeer
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by grizbeer » Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:37 pm

I agree about the fans who show up just because you are winning, and there are plenty of Griz fans, no doubt, that would go away if the program starts losing (alumni and well as non-alumni). I just disagreed that you had to go to school there to be a "true" fan.

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:38 pm

gb,

that was not my intent. I believe we're on the same page here.

Grizzlies: 2-5 when it matters most