Big Sky Players in the 2024 Draft

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: Big Sky Players in the 2024 Draft

Post by TomCat88 » Sat May 04, 2024 11:42 am

PapaG wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 6:43 am
JoeCatsJoe wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 9:20 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 11:59 am
JoeCatsJoe wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 11:54 am
See @TomCat , I would have said we were better at all of those positions going into the brawl last year. And yet we got beat. Handily. Talent wise, I think we’re darn close to the Dakota schools, but culture and coaching are important too. And the fact we lost nearly ALL important games last season tells me we’re lacking in something, and it doesn’t look like talent to me. I don’t know what it is, but something was missing, at least last year.
Home field advantage (minus the NDSU game that we lost on a PAT)? It could be as simple as that. We lost 2 road games by one score and the other one in the rivalry which has seen dramatic home field advantage lately.
I think we win the Idaho game and probably the SDSU game at home. But part of being a championship team is winning tough games on the road, and winning tightly contested games. We really failed to do so. I have a hard time putting it solely on that. Especially with the NDSU game on our resume.
This entire “jockstrap” debate was weird from the first post, but factually, obviously there is only one championship team each season, last year SDSU was far ahead of every other team, and Montana State gave them their most difficult test all season.

These are all simply based on actual reality of what happened in 2023, oddball post from @luckyirishguy25 aside. Him dying on that hill has been solid entertainment in a good way.
My guess is LIG wants to be objective, most people do, but he’s trying a bit too hard. Just a guess. Lotsa people do that, especially Cat fans when it comes to UM. I think all the disappointments from The Streak has that burned into their psyches.

MSU - 16 team National Champions (most recent 2024); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Sat May 04, 2024 1:38 pm

JoeCatsJoe wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
JoeCatsJoe wrote:
See @TomCat , I would have said we were better at all of those positions going into the brawl last year. And yet we got beat. Handily. Talent wise, I think we’re darn close to the Dakota schools, but culture and coaching are important too. And the fact we lost nearly ALL important games last season tells me we’re lacking in something, and it doesn’t look like talent to me. I don’t know what it is, but something was missing, at least last year.
Home field advantage (minus the NDSU game that we lost on a PAT)? It could be as simple as that. We lost 2 road games by one score and the other one in the rivalry which has seen dramatic home field advantage lately.
I think we win the Idaho game and probably the SDSU game at home. But part of being a championship team is winning tough games on the road, and winning tightly contested games. We really failed to do so. I have a hard time putting it solely on that. Especially with the NDSU game on our resume.
I think last season is telling but misleading. I think you could see that MSU belonged on the field with SDSU early. Then something happened at Idaho, and this team wasn't the same, IMO. I don't know if it was Snell getting hurt, rumors of Vigen looking at other jobs, rumors of players being contacted by other schools, coordinators with DUIs, something else altogether, or a combination of these, but this team seemed to be in disarray late in the season. I still say MSU's talent was better than UM's, yet the Cats just got hammered. I thought MSU played its best game of the last two months of the season against NDSU, but it wasn't quite enough. This is something Vigen and Co. have to get straightened out, and I actually think they already have, but it's in the back of my mind this year. But talent-wise, I think MSU can absolutely hang with anybody else in the FCS. Now they just have to put together the rest of it.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat May 04, 2024 5:55 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 1:38 pm
JoeCatsJoe wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
JoeCatsJoe wrote:
I think last season is telling but misleading. I think you could see that MSU belonged on the field with SDSU early. Then something happened at Idaho, and this team wasn't the same, IMO. I don't know if it was Snell getting hurt, rumors of Vigen looking at other jobs, rumors of players being contacted by other schools, coordinators with DUIs, something else altogether, or a combination of these, but this team seemed to be in disarray late in the season. I still say MSU's talent was better than UM's, yet the Cats just got hammered. I thought MSU played its best game of the last two months of the season against NDSU, but it wasn't quite enough. This is something Vigen and Co. have to get straightened out, and I actually think they already have, but it's in the back of my mind this year. But talent-wise, I think MSU can absolutely hang with anybody else in the FCS. Now they just have to put together the rest of it.
The placekicking was a glaring problem vs Idaho, UM (although it probably didn’t matter) and NDSU.
The secondary struggled due mostly to injuries that didn’t necessarily knock players out but had them at less than 100%. Started at SAC and lasted until MSU had a bye prior to playing NDSU. Dowler was knocked out after SDSU for the season, Price, Woodard, Polidore all missed games and fought through injuries. Offensively, MSU struggled for a full half vs Idaho and still nearly won, then rolled vs EW and NAU.

The main tangible problems were the kicking and secondary during that stretch. I don’t think it was much more than that. And despite that MSU was still playing at a high level sans the UM game.

Anyway this is the BSC draft thread, so I’ll leave it at that. :)

MSU - 16 team National Champions (most recent 2024); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sun May 05, 2024 6:08 am

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Sun May 05, 2024 7:45 am

As a Chief fan, I have mixed emotions over this.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun May 05, 2024 9:24 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 6:08 am
Gubner to the Chiefs:

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky ... 70d6a.html
Good for him. Hell of a player and just blew up offenses the latter half of the season.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Sun May 05, 2024 9:28 am

PapaG wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 9:24 am
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Gubner to the Chiefs:

Good for him. Hell of a player and just blew up offenses the latter half of the season.
I agree, but don't see him in the NFL. Zach Minter was a better player and he did not make it, so I am doubtful that Gubner has much of a chance.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun May 05, 2024 9:46 am

HelenaCat wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 9:28 am
PapaG wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Gubner to the Chiefs:

I agree, but don't see him in the NFL. Zach Minter was a better player and he did not make it, so I am doubtful that Gubner has much of a chance.
Doubtful for sure, but he did play his way into getting an opportunity and it’s good he’s getting one.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun May 05, 2024 9:53 am

PapaG wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 9:46 am
HelenaCat wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 9:28 am
PapaG wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Gubner to the Chiefs:

Doubtful for sure, but he did play his way into getting an opportunity and it’s good he’s getting one.
This. It would’ve been a shame if he didn’t get a crack. He has options with all the other leagues out there.

toM StUber