Portal Opened again Yesterday

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Portal Opened again Yesterday

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:58 am

gtapp wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:09 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:42 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:09 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:15 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:40 pm
Yer high if you don’t think the FG kicker was an issue last season….

I’m absolutely shocked they have not already brought someone in. I thought that would be priority 1, 2 and 3…
I mean how easy do you think it is to find a kicker who you know is going to be good? Maybe it has been their highest priority. Maybe everybody out there looks pretty good, but they had a bad game one time. I mean if a guy made all his kicks at any level, he's going to a bigger program. Basically they have to take a flyer on a kicker, and how do we know that guy is better than Brendan Hall? Hall was 4/4 on FGs and 15/16 on PATs going into the Weber game. He knows how to kick, but obviously something got into his head. They could bring in 50 recruits who know how to kick and look just like Hall in practice. I don't know what the solution is...keep looking, for starters. But maybe there's a kicking coach or camp MSU can send Brendan and Casey to. Or maybe there's a sports psychologist who can help Brendan get over the yips. But Vigen has said it's a priority, and his job might actually depend on it. I don't buy that he's not doing anything about it.
I don’t know, I’m sure there are hundreds of kickers out there looking for a new school. Make a list of yer top 10 targets, start at the top with an offer and make yer way down the list…

One thing Choate did which I thought was great- he made a point of recruiting top level kickers/punters out of high school, always a top priority…. Which seemed to work.

All I know is that we CANT have the kickers costing us games again this next year…. Way too much talent on this team (like last year) to see it wasted.
Yeah that's not super advanced scouting, obviously. So it seems like you're saying Vigen and Co haven't done anything like that. Probably just waiting on the phone to ring? Hoping Hall or Kautzman will just magically figure it out? Vigen has a lot more riding on this than you or I do. Maybe he'll screw it up...but to say he hasn't made it a priority is unrealistic.

I don't disagree one bit that kicking has to improve. To say it's the worst you've ever seen at any level makes me think you haven't watched much. It wasn't good, but it wasn't even the worst in the Big Sky last year. Maybe I'm taking "worst kicking display I have ever seen.....like at any level of football, ever" too literally.
Our FG percentage last year was 52.6%. Our PAT was 90%. I would be surprised if any Big Sky team was worse than that. I would be surprised if there were a lot of teams in the nation that bad.

In looking at FG% across the nation; the top 118 kickers in the ncaa were above MSU. You had to get to the 119th kicker to match MSU's success.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:14 am

MSU ranked 11th out of 12 Big Sky teams in XP percentage (Cal Poly was worse) and FG percentage (NAU was worse).

I'm sure the coaching staff is trying to find players who will improve MSU's performance in the kicking game as well as in all other areas, but it's silly to just assume that MSU can go out into the portal and easily find a better kicker than the ones who are already on the roster.

If anyone would rather watch something fun instead of rehashing a game from six months ago, here's highlights from MSU's 1984 Playoff Semifinal win.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:41 am

GoCats18 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:11 am
Watch the video, the guy that blocks the kick, his arm is at the 5 yard line when he blocks it. Last time I checked, the ball isn’t placed at the 5 yard line. Sorry, but the blocked kick isn’t 100% the kickers fault.
OK dude, die on this hill.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:45 am

MSU01 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:14 am
MSU ranked 11th out of 12 Big Sky teams in XP percentage (Cal Poly was worse) and FG percentage (NAU was worse).

I'm sure the coaching staff is trying to find players who will improve MSU's performance in the kicking game as well as in all other areas, but it's silly to just assume that MSU can go out into the portal and easily find a better kicker than the ones who are already on the roster.

If anyone would rather watch something fun instead of rehashing a game from six months ago, here's highlights from MSU's 1984 Playoff Semifinal win.

Where did we sit in net kickoffs and net punting.

Sports is not bigger than life

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:08 am

tetoncat wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:45 am
MSU01 wrote:

Punting
Dirk Nelson

When Dirk Nelson joined the Montana State football team in the fall of 1982 as a transfer from Kansas State University, there was no way of knowing that he would become the first punter inducted into Montana State's Wendy's Bobcat Hall of Fame.
Nelson finished in the top 15 in punting average nationally for all three of his seasons at Montana State, and missed by just a shade finishing the 1984 season with the top average in the nation. His 43.4 yards-per-punt average that fall remains the sixth-best season in school history, and his average of 41.6 yards-per-punt in his career remains the third-best in school history.
Upon graduating from MSU, Nelson earned his master's degree in physical education from Kansas in 1986, and four years later earned his Ph.D. in education from that University. He has served as an educator and administrator for many years, and for the past year has served as Dean of the College of Nursing and Health Science at West Texas A&M.
Nelson also earned Academic All-America District VII honors, and was named to Montana State's All-Century Team.

Kicking
Mark Carter
He didn't have a real strong leg on kickoffs but was pretty decent on field goals and extra points.
(1981-1984): #4 All-Time in Career Scoring at MSU; #2 in FGs made in a Career (45); Tied for 2nd in FGs made in a Game (4); 6th best Career FG % (.634)

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:04 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

I’m absolutely shocked they have not already brought someone in. I thought that would be priority 1, 2 and 3…
I mean how easy do you think it is to find a kicker who you know is going to be good? Maybe it has been their highest priority. Maybe everybody out there looks pretty good, but they had a bad game one time. I mean if a guy made all his kicks at any level, he's going to a bigger program. Basically they have to take a flyer on a kicker, and how do we know that guy is better than Brendan Hall? Hall was 4/4 on FGs and 15/16 on PATs going into the Weber game. He knows how to kick, but obviously something got into his head. They could bring in 50 recruits who know how to kick and look just like Hall in practice. I don't know what the solution is...keep looking, for starters. But maybe there's a kicking coach or camp MSU can send Brendan and Casey to. Or maybe there's a sports psychologist who can help Brendan get over the yips. But Vigen has said it's a priority, and his job might actually depend on it. I don't buy that he's not doing anything about it.
Hall’s kicks against SDSU were good in the sense that they were inbetween the FG posts, but they were ugly kicks. He’s just too long to have consistent mechanics.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:38 pm

gtapp wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:09 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:42 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:09 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

I don’t know, I’m sure there are hundreds of kickers out there looking for a new school. Make a list of yer top 10 targets, start at the top with an offer and make yer way down the list…

One thing Choate did which I thought was great- he made a point of recruiting top level kickers/punters out of high school, always a top priority…. Which seemed to work.

All I know is that we CANT have the kickers costing us games again this next year…. Way too much talent on this team (like last year) to see it wasted.
Yeah that's not super advanced scouting, obviously. So it seems like you're saying Vigen and Co haven't done anything like that. Probably just waiting on the phone to ring? Hoping Hall or Kautzman will just magically figure it out? Vigen has a lot more riding on this than you or I do. Maybe he'll screw it up...but to say he hasn't made it a priority is unrealistic.

I don't disagree one bit that kicking has to improve. To say it's the worst you've ever seen at any level makes me think you haven't watched much. It wasn't good, but it wasn't even the worst in the Big Sky last year. Maybe I'm taking "worst kicking display I have ever seen.....like at any level of football, ever" too literally.
Our FG percentage last year was 52.6%. Our PAT was 90%. I would be surprised if any Big Sky team was worse than that. I would be surprised if there were a lot of teams in the nation that bad.

In looking at FG% across the nation; the top 118 kickers in the ncaa were above MSU. You had to get to the 119th kicker to match MSU's success.
Cal Poly was .893 to MSU's .905 on PATs, and NAU was .333 on FGs to MSU's .526. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying this is something MSU should have to live with, I'm just suggesting maybe it's a little hyperbolic to say it's the worst at any level, ever.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:20 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:04 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

Hall’s kicks against SDSU were good in the sense that they were inbetween the FG posts, but they were ugly kicks. He’s just too long to have consistent mechanics.
That's fair, and if memory serves, he wasn't brought in to be the PK. But they determined he was serviceable and he won that job. I don't know the first thing about kicking and never considered that length would make a guy worse mechanically. But I get it...a 52" driver is way harder to hit than a 46".

I am not arguing that MSU's kickers are good enough. My biggest gripe here is with the assumption that MSU is doing nothing about it.

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:39 pm

We also lead the FCS in number of times having a first and goal inside the 5 yard line and couldn’t get the ball in the end zone. Clearly that is the kickers fault as well.

Punters are people too!!

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:00 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:39 pm
We also lead the FCS in number of times having a first and goal inside the 5 yard line and couldn’t get the ball in the end zone. Clearly that is the kickers fault as well.
Chambers up the middle. And again. And again.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:08 pm

The portal closes on Tuesday (4/30). We have to be feeling pretty good about the lack of entrants this round.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:18 am

AFCAT wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:08 am
tetoncat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

Punting
Dirk Nelson

When Dirk Nelson joined the Montana State football team in the fall of 1982 as a transfer from Kansas State University, there was no way of knowing that he would become the first punter inducted into Montana State's Wendy's Bobcat Hall of Fame.
Nelson finished in the top 15 in punting average nationally for all three of his seasons at Montana State, and missed by just a shade finishing the 1984 season with the top average in the nation. His 43.4 yards-per-punt average that fall remains the sixth-best season in school history, and his average of 41.6 yards-per-punt in his career remains the third-best in school history.
Upon graduating from MSU, Nelson earned his master's degree in physical education from Kansas in 1986, and four years later earned his Ph.D. in education from that University. He has served as an educator and administrator for many years, and for the past year has served as Dean of the College of Nursing and Health Science at West Texas A&M.
Nelson also earned Academic All-America District VII honors, and was named to Montana State's All-Century Team.

Kicking
Mark Carter
He didn't have a real strong leg on kickoffs but was pretty decent on field goals and extra points.
(1981-1984): #4 All-Time in Career Scoring at MSU; #2 in FGs made in a Career (45); Tied for 2nd in FGs made in a Game (4); 6th best Career FG % (.634)
My memory leaves me on this one but in the late 70s didn't the CATS have a total lights out punter. I thought I remembered, again we are talking about my memory (pun intended), a 45+ average. The only name that comes to mind is Brad Brisbin (sp)...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:30 am

RickRund wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:18 am
AFCAT wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

Punting
Dirk Nelson

Kicking
Mark Carter
My memory leaves me on this one but in the late 70s didn't the CATS have a total lights out punter. I thought I remembered, again we are talking about my memory (pun intended), a 45+ average. The only name that comes to mind is Brad Brisbin (sp)...
Brad Bisbin has the school record with an 85 yard punt, but that was in 1972. So yeah you've got the right guy, just off on the years a little bit. A guy named Hank Urza has the longest career average at 48.2, and it was 51.3 yards in 1965. I had to look all that up in the record books...I don't just know this stuff!

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:51 am

RickRund wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

Punting
Dirk Nelson

Kicking
Mark Carter
Stu Dobbs? He was a 6'6" punter. He could boom it!

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:53 pm

Punting less helps the team more than punting well, anyway.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:11 pm

NDSU loses one of the main focal points of their offense.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:59 pm

gtapp wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:51 am
RickRund wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

Punting
Dirk Nelson

Kicking
Mark Carter
Stu Dobbs? He was a 6'6" punter. He could boom it!
Stu Dodds. Did he take a shot at basketball, too?

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:05 pm

I think one reason the place-kicking sticks out right now is that MSU has been blessed with a really excellent bunch of kickers — perhaps in the long run the best in the conference. Stenerud sort of started a tradition. But I remember Muri, Cunningham, Daly, Bailey, Glessner — I know there were others that were really good. It’s not a position we are used to worrying about much.

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:18 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:05 pm
I think one reason the place-kicking sticks out right now is that MSU has been blessed with a really excellent bunch of kickers — perhaps in the long run the best in the conference. Stenerud sort of started a tradition. But I remember Muri, Cunningham, Daly, Bailey, Glessner — I know there were others that were really good. It’s not a position we are used to worrying about much.
Pat Bolton in the mid seventies was money.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:38 pm

Mtcatfan wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:18 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:05 pm
Pat Bolton in the mid seventies was money.
I hope we're not all forgetting the guy that outplayed Mason Crosby on his home turf. :wink:

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN