Jaharie Martin in Portal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Jaharie Martin in Portal

Post by CelticCat » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:21 am

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Jaharie Martin in Portal

Post by CelticCat » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:24 am

I figured he was the heir apparent to RJ, but maybe we are going to do something different this year, or maybe he doesn't want to play fullback.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by vike_king » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:27 am

I figured this might happen sooner than it did. He had a post on social media toward the end of the year suggesting he didn't feel that anyone believed in him?

Bummer, I really enjoyed watching him.

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:33 am

I can’t say I didn’t see this coming. He has had “May grad with 2 years eligibility left” on his Twitter timeline for a while now. He was also good friends with Isaiah.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:52 am

Playing tight ends as fullbacks when he is on the bench. Thought he would leave last year.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:14 am

Before the "move him to LB" cronies rev up that narrative, he wanted to be more involved in the run game with the ball in his hands. But his best role in this offense is as a blocker and pass catcher. He would've gotten those opportunities as everyone could see how much more involved RJ was in the pass game last year and Jaharie is a better athlete. Good luck to him.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:31 am

2019: 10 rushes for 38 yards (in 2 non-conference games)
2021: 5 rushes for 18 yards and 1 TD (all in one game), 1 catch for 9 yards and 1 TD (all in one game)
2022: No touches

In 3 years he only had offensive stats in four games. His only touch in a conference game was the receiving TD against PSU. He was injured for most of 2022 but I'm sure he's looking for an opportunity to do more than crush guys on kickoffs.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:23 pm

Good luck to him. Was always fun to watch.

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:33 pm

Not surprised but still a bummer, felt like he would have a pretty substantial role next year with RJ gone.

Good luck to him, hope he does well wherever he goes.

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:28 pm

Love the clip of him wrecking two Jackrabbits in the 2021 playoff game to spring Tommy for the TD. Wish him the best. Glad he was a Bobcat.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:07 pm

Disappointing but, as others have said, I'm not surprised. There were several signs that this was coming.

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:33 pm

Wish him the best. I felt like this is one dude that we didn’t take advantage of having around like we should have. Someone is getting a hell of a deal if they play this kid.

Punters are people too!!

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:04 am

Agreed. A very unique player. Natural low-pad level. Weight-lifter strength. I was excited to see him on the defense. Even when RJ dislocated his elbow, they just kind of quit using a FB. And then they started using Snell at times. I’m going to be interested to see what Jaharie accomplishes with his new team.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:01 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:04 am
Agreed. A very unique player. Natural low-pad level. Weight-lifter strength. I was excited to see him on the defense. Even when RJ dislocated his elbow, they just kind of quit using a FB. And then they started using Snell at times. I’m going to be interested to see what Jaharie accomplishes with his new team.
Perhaps the usage tells you how good the coaches thought he was. Maybe it was just because he was coming back from getting hurt.

End of the day, he wanted more touches, which I completely understand, but we have better options for that. I’d guess we somewhat go away from using a FB this year or just use Snell there more, and Lonergan as more of a traditional TE with Pickering. Lots of options to make it work.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:00 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Me too. I hope he has a Matthew McCay, Jaden Smith type of year with his new team. The two linemen who transferred out last year had decent seasons at Cal and Delaware. Can't remember who the running back was or how he did and one other kid did okay.

ND0479

Post by ND0479 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:25 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:00 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Me too. I hope he has a Matthew McCay, Jaden Smith type of year with his new team. The two linemen who transferred out last year had decent seasons at Cal and Delaware. Can't remember who the running back was or how he did and one other kid did okay.
Demareus Hosey. He probably would’ve had a better year had he stayed at MSU, given how the RB situation played out. He didn’t do much for A&M Commerce…no idea how they looked this year though.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:12 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:14 am
Before the "move him to LB" cronies rev up that narrative, he wanted to be more involved in the run game with the ball in his hands. But his best role in this offense is as a blocker and pass catcher. He would've gotten those opportunities as everyone could see how much more involved RJ was in the pass game last year and Jaharie is a better athlete. Good luck to him.
Ut takes a certain mentality to play as a run blocker from a skill position. Not an easy thing to do for most 22 yo young men. especially those who've already graduated & watched pretty much every coach & player from his recruiting class move on to greener pastures.

ND0479

Post by ND0479 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:43 pm

onceacat wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:12 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:14 am
Ut takes a certain mentality to play as a run blocker from a skill position. Not an easy thing to do for most 22 yo young men. especially those who've already graduated & watched pretty much every coach & player from his recruiting class move on to greener pastures.
100%

cat4lyf
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by cat4lyf » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:54 pm

Huge loss. I spoke to him once and was a stand-up guy imho. Wish him the best. He will always be a Bobcat to me no matter where he lands. I still remember hearing him chant ESGGCG.. ahhh; music to my ears

MSU alum
Inside Connections
Korner Klub
Tailgate guy
Family man

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:58 am

cat4lyf wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:54 pm
Huge loss. I spoke to him once and was a stand-up guy imho. Wish him the best. He will always be a Bobcat to me no matter where he lands. I still remember hearing him chant ESGGCG.. ahhh; music to my ears
Weirdo.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!