MSU backing down

The place to talk smack with those not fortunate enough to be Bobcat fans.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: MSU backing down

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:59 am

word1 wrote:I can put it pretty plainly...UND and MSU schooling anybody is ludicrous.

Apparently MSU is strapped for cash, made a move to make money. It looks like they bitched out because that is what they did at the time. They might tie for the big sky title again, and good for them. MSU will lose in the quarterfinals like they do every year.

MSU and upper FCS are oxymorons.
Interesting concession speech. :lol: I guess you could say MSU is "...strapped for cash,..." that's one way to say that MSU needs six home games to make ends meet. MSU did in fact make "...a move to make money." No question on that second comment. I'm glad to see you're coming around on this. It's now blatantly obvious you don't really think MSU "...bitched out..." given those two previous comments.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:00 am

word1 wrote:I can put it pretty plainly...UND and MSU schooling anybody is ludicrous.

Apparently MSU is strapped for cash, made a move to make money. It looks like they bitched out because that is what they did at the time. They might tie for the big sky title again, and good for them. MSU will lose in the quarterfinals like they do every year.

Here I was thinking the Griz fans were entitled ... the NDSU fans are the worst crybabies I've witnessed on this message board.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:05 am

doebrmn wrote:
Helcat72 wrote:
lakesbison wrote:Its been a long week and I STILL cant believe you backed out.. lol.
Oh Ok you win...we'll play you...when do you want us there....just can't make it on Sept 7th...we'll be in Dallas
And I am still waiting for your genius comeback after you were totally schooled on your UND theories. A&& Clown
I can somewhat understand NDSU fans being a little upset, but why is a Griz fan so invested in a routine buy-out of a game?

I guess 5-6 makes a fanbase go a bit nuts and makes them start feeling a bit inferior. :D

What a ride

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:08 am

PapaG wrote:
doebrmn wrote:
Helcat72 wrote:
lakesbison wrote:Its been a long week and I STILL cant believe you backed out.. lol.
Oh Ok you win...we'll play you...when do you want us there....just can't make it on Sept 7th...we'll be in Dallas
And I am still waiting for your genius comeback after you were totally schooled on your UND theories. A&& Clown
I can somewhat understand NDSU fans being a little upset, but why is a Griz fan so invested in a routine buy-out of a game?

I guess 5-6 makes a fanbase go a bit nuts and makes them start feeling a bit inferior. :D
I think that was a shot at Lakesbison...

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:10 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
PapaG wrote:
doebrmn wrote:
Helcat72 wrote:

I think that was a shot at Lakesbison...
Isn't doebrmn a Griz fan? My bad if I interpreted the statement incorrectly. Griz fans aren't having a very good time on this board lately, as evidenced by tampagriz's meltdown at TomCat in the #JohnsonTrial thread.
Last edited by PapaG on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

What a ride

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:10 am

PapaG wrote:

Here I was thinking the Griz fans were entitled ... the NDSU fans are the worst crybabies I've witnessed on this message board.
This really is ridiculous. You guys are starting to look like absolute morons still coming on here and complaining. I guess it just shows there really is nothing to do in North Dakota. I'd probably be bitter if I lived there too.

doebrmn
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by doebrmn » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:11 pm

I am probably the biggest non-Griz fan on the Planet. I was simply pointing out to A&& clown Lakebison that it is pathetic to come onto another school's board whining about it pulling out of a game because of financial consideration when his own school (NDSU) won't play its biggest rivalry game (UND) because of supposed "financial" reasons. Fact is, UND owned NDSU for the last 10 years of the rivalry and it is too chickensh*t to play them and then puts up some BS argument about games with K state, Minnesota and playoff games being bigger draws. Really, since in any game againt FBS schools the otherside fan base could give a rip about the game. And while playoff games are always big, that would be like saying UM or MSU playoff games are bigger than Cat/Griz. Interesting, since all of the attendance records set at both schools are during Cat/Griz. I have been at Griz playoff games where it looks like there are less people than when they play Western State. And the same is true for MSU, which never draws as well for playoff games as Cat/Griz. That is simply a fact of life in lesser populated states. In any game other than the rivalry you have roughly half the people interested. In a rivalry game everyone is interested. But you notice that after I pointed out the fact that NDSU has been ducking UND for going on 10 years Lakebison can no longer be found.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:21 pm

doebrmn wrote:I am probably the biggest non-Griz fan on the Planet. I was simply pointing out to A&& clown Lakebison that it is pathetic to come onto another school's board whining about it pulling out of a game because of financial consideration when his own school (NDSU) won't play its biggest rivalry game (UND) because of supposed "financial" reasons. Fact is, UND owned NDSU for the last 10 years of the rivalry and it is too chickensh*t to play them and then puts up some BS argument about games with K state, Minnesota and playoff games being bigger draws. Really, since in any game againt FBS schools the otherside fan base could give a rip about the game. And while playoff games are always big, that would be like saying UM or MSU playoff games are bigger than Cat/Griz. Interesting, since all of the attendance records set at both schools are during Cat/Griz. I have been at Griz playoff games where it looks like there are less people than when they play Western State. And the same is true for MSU, which never draws as well for playoff games as Cat/Griz. That is simply a fact of life in lesser populated states. In any game other than the rivalry you have roughly half the people interested. In a rivalry game everyone is interested. But you notice that after I pointed out the fact that NDSU has been ducking UND for going on 10 years Lakebison can no longer be found.
My bad, brother! I misread your post!

What a ride

GoCats23
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by GoCats23 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:25 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
PapaG wrote:

This really is ridiculous. You guys are starting to look like absolute morons still coming on here and complaining. I guess it just shows there really is nothing to do in North Dakota. I'd probably be bitter if I lived there too.
I thought word1 was a southern Illinois fan or Illinois State fan or something. I thought I remembered him talking whichever team up on Any Given Saturday, saying how because they got a junior college running back they'd easily be a top 5 team in the nation. I could easily be wrong though. Regardless it's ridiculous that they haven't given it up on here, the bashing is finally finished on AGS, or at least for now it is.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:20 am

I just chalk up the accusation to a knee jerk reaction. On the surface and without giving it much thought the immediate thought is, oh they're backing out. After that you're left with people who just don't want it to make sense and those who truly can't grasp the financial component of what went down.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Topher
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Topher » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:23 am

PapaG wrote:
doebrmn wrote:
Helcat72 wrote:

Routine buyout against the two time reigning National Champion. I get that the Griz fanbase shouldn't go casting stones, but for those implying this was simply a business move I have some oceanfront property in Arizona to sell you. How often do Cat fans accuse Griz fans of wearing maroon colored glasses? Well congrats, those blue and golds look great on y'all.

Going five and six hurt, but we can recover. May not be a title contention year, but we should improve. The NCAA may even conclude their investigation just as soon as they finish curing world hunger and cancer. Seriously, 5-6 is one thing being stuck in limbo is another.

Baha Men....Soooooo much more than "Who Let The Dogs Out"

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:39 am

If this is a "Money" decision then I would like to see the numbers. How much is SMU paying us? Since they are not a BIG market team and don't have big market revenues how much can they afford? I heard we got somewhere around $600K for the Michigan State game a few years back but I would assume this game payout is pretty small.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:45 am

gtapp wrote:If this is a "Money" decision then I would like to see the numbers. How much is SMU paying us? Since they are not a BIG market team and don't have big market revenues how much can they afford? I heard we got somewhere around $600K for the Michigan State game a few years back but I would assume this game payout is pretty small.
$300,000 is the payout from SMU.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:08 pm

coachouert wrote:
gtapp wrote:If this is a "Money" decision then I would like to see the numbers. How much is SMU paying us? Since they are not a BIG market team and don't have big market revenues how much can they afford? I heard we got somewhere around $600K for the Michigan State game a few years back but I would assume this game payout is pretty small.
Still just seems strange. So that leaves us 200K after the payout... and then we have to pay travel expenses on that... are we even going to make much on this? Chalk it up to an expensive recruiting trip I suppose.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

kcatz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by kcatz » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:30 pm

SMU is paying us $300,000

We are paying NDSU $100,000

and using the remaining $200,000 to bring a 6th home game to Bozeman.

This is the important part that people are overlooking. Six home games is the norm in Bozeman we needed to cancel the NDSU game in order to get the money to pay Monmouth to travel across the country on a Thursday and play us at home.

I find it also interesting the NDSU's AD only scheduled 11 games in a season where 12 are possible.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:42 pm

kcatz wrote:SMU is paying us $300,000

This is the important part that people are overlooking. Six home games is the norm in Bozeman we needed to cancel the NDSU game in order to get the money to pay Monmouth to travel across the country on a Thursday and play us at home.

I find it also interesting the NDSU's AD only scheduled 11 games in a season where 12 are possible.
Very interesting on NDSU's AD only scheduling 11 games. And yes, in a 12 game season we DEFINATELY better have 6 home games! PF made the RIGHT decision for MSU and the fans. No doubt about it.

Lovethecats75
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Lovethecats75 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:47 pm

catatac wrote:
coachouert wrote:
Still just seems strange. So that leaves us 200K after the payout... and then we have to pay travel expenses on that... are we even going to make much on this? Chalk it up to an expensive recruiting trip I suppose.
keep in mind that it would cost just as much if not more to travel the team to Fargo as it will to Dallas. So the travel expence is a wash. With getting the 6th home game and a night game as well, we will have 20,000+ fans and will make our money there. Just the gate will be 20,000x$15.00 (average ticket)= $300,000. Yes we will have some game day expence but a better payout than no game and only 5 home games.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:48 pm

What this is revealing to me is just how difficult scheduling becomes for 12 game seasons. It seems like a lot of AD's a scrambling and shifting schedules. The chain of schools involved in this specific instance includes NDSU, MSU, SMU, Baylor, Villanova, Wofford, Florida State, Pitt, Stony Brook, Boston College, (and a Sam Houston rumor). Probably more will follow.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:56 pm

Absolutely agree that allowing us to obtain the 6th home game is the key of this scheduling decision. Here is my take on the finances of it all...

+300,000 SMU money game
-100,000 travel to SMU
-100,000 buyout to NDSU
+100,000 travel saved to NDSU
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+200,000 Gross revenue from SMU game revenues

-200,000 Cost to bring in Monmouth on 08/29/13
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+000,000 Net from NDSU/SMU game swap - appears to be revenue neutral

However, these revenues only tell part of the story as without the NDSU/SMU swap we would not have gotten our 6th game. So, revenue's not lost from from not being able to get a 6th game, based on 18,000 attendance as follows sideline 4800x25.00=120,000 + SEZ 7200x15.00=108,000 + ease side 6000x25.00=150,000), amount to $378,000.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:10 pm

codecat wrote:

Absolutely agree that allowing us to obtain the 6th home game is the key of this scheduling decision. Here is my take on the finances of it all...

+300,000 SMU money game
-100,000 travel to SMU
-100,000 buyout to NDSU
+100,000 travel saved to NDSU
+200,000 Gross revenue from SMU game revenues

-200,000 Cost to bring in Monmouth on 08/29/13
+000,000 Net from NDSU/SMU game swap - appears to be revenue neutral

However, these revenues only tell part of the story as without the NDSU/SMU swap we would not have gotten our 6th game. So, revenue's not lost from from not being able to get a 6th game, based on 18,000 attendance as follows sideline 4800x25.00=120,000 + SEZ 7200x15.00=108,000 + ease side 6000x25.00=150,000), amount to $378,000.
Your numbers would have to assume that season ticket costs would be lower in a 5 game scenario.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic