Truth is...

The place to talk smack with those not fortunate enough to be Bobcat fans.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

77matcat
Member # Retired

Re: Truth is...

Post by 77matcat » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:02 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
77matcat wrote:Yup. Pretty good given the thirty year period. Some of us remember further back than thirty years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Much further back, and you're talking about a time when the Cats were a Division II program. That's comparing apples to oranges IMO. Ash has gotten the best overall results of any coach since Sonny Holland at the least. In my opinion, that counts for something.
Hmmmm. When did Big Sky Conference start????

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:20 am

1963. Jim Sweeney's Bobcats won the second ever Big Sky title the next year.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:58 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:1963. Jim Sweeney's Bobcats won the second ever Big Sky title the next year.
So, Colter, now that you're posting on this thread...can you confirm or refute the OP's claim of being a former Bobcat Football player? Mostly, I care because I want to know if I was right or not. It's all about vindication for me. :lol:

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

77matcat
Member # Retired

Truth is...

Post by 77matcat » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:56 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:1963. Jim Sweeney's Bobcats won the second ever Big Sky title the next year.
Thanks Colter!!!

Was kind of hoping BBG would answer that one.

Soooooo BBG.
Are you discounting the BigSky wins from 63 forward and the 76 and 84 titles??

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:10 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
So, Colter, now that you're posting on this thread...can you confirm or refute the OP's claim of being a former Bobcat Football player? Mostly, I care because I want to know if I was right or not. It's all about vindication for me. :lol:
Unless Colter has gotten said poster to specifically talk to him, he isn't going to be able to confirm that as he doesn't have access to anything more from a board standpoint than you do. I've already said long ago that there is nothing on record that will allow us to confirm or refute the claim that this is a player.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:34 am

77matcat wrote:
Thanks Colter!!!

Soooooo BBG.

84 was a Division I title, so it's clearly apples to apples. I think it's nearly impossible to argue that the team was better off under Dave Arnold, though. He won one natty and coached three other teams that won an average of two games apiece. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't enjoy Bobcat football very much if they won a championship every four years but spent the other three playing like Idaho State under Zamberlin.

I also acknowledged that you could make an argument that Sonny Holland was better than Ash, but I don't think comparing Division II results to Division I results is apples to apples. As for Sweeney, I don't think I'd argue that he was better than Holland anyway. Even so, then you're going back 40 or 50 years. If Ash is the best the team has had in 40-50 years, it seems logical to be patient with that.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

TIrwin24
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by TIrwin24 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:37 am

I realize that this isn't related to Bobcat football but; one of the local high school football coaches up here in NW Washington just won the first state title in football for Sedro Woolley High School. He has been the head coach for Sedro Woolley High School for something like 16 years.

Point is, it takes a special combination of players, schedule and flat out luck to win it all.

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:47 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
77matcat wrote:
Thanks Colter!!!

Soooooo BBG.

84 was a Division I title, so it's clearly apples to apples. I think it's nearly impossible to argue that the team was better off under Dave Arnold, though. He won one natty and coached three other teams that won an average of two games apiece. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't enjoy Bobcat football very much if they won a championship every four years but spent the other three playing like Idaho State under Zamberlin.

I also acknowledged that you could make an argument that Sonny Holland was better than Ash, but I don't think comparing Division II results to Division I results is apples to apples. As for Sweeney, I don't think I'd argue that he was better than Holland anyway. Even so, then you're going back 40 or 50 years. If Ash is the best the team has had in 40-50 years, it seems logical to be patient with that.
I would argue however that the competition in the 1976 Big Sky Conference was as good or better than this watered down FCS version. Were we not playing Idaho, Nevada and Boise in 1976?

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:50 am

I just looked it up and Nevada didn't join until later.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:54 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
77matcat wrote:
Thanks Colter!!!

Soooooo BBG.

I would argue however that the competition in the 1976 Big Sky Conference was as good or better than this watered down FCS version. Were we not playing Idaho, Nevada and Boise in 1976?
We played Idaho, Fresno State, Nevada, and if I remember correctly Boise as well.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:02 pm

Boise and Idaho were in conference back then. I know we played Fresno virtually every year Sweeney was there. Nevada was not in conference so I don't know if we played them in 1976. I'll look that up too.
Last edited by WalkOn79 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:06 pm

I would suggest that BigSky with Boise, Idaho and later Nevada was a better conference.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:18 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
77matcat wrote:
Thanks Colter!!!

Soooooo BBG.

I am so happy to see somebody else understands how watered down 1-AA (refuse to call a brainchild of Fullerton by his preferred moniker) became. Approximately half the non Power 5 teams and many of the Division II teams were in the small college division. That 76 team was incredible as was the 78 team. I think the 78 team started out 8-0.

Weltercat
Member # Retired

Post by Weltercat » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:47 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
77matcat wrote:
Thanks Colter!!!

Soooooo BBG.

I am so happy to see somebody else understands how watered down 1-AA (refuse to call a brainchild of Fullerton by his preferred moniker) became. Approximately half the non Power 5 teams and many of the Division II teams were in the small college division. That 76 team was incredible as was the 78 team. I think the 78 team started out 8-0.
I've been saying this for years. That 76 team's Div II NC was probably the most competitive that any Montana team has ever been. The competition they faced was every bit as good as the current FCS.

"The conservation of natural resources is the fundamental problem. Unless we solve that problem it will avail us little to solve all others." Theodore Roosevelt

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:55 pm

This thread is not worth continuing in my opinion.

I won't be back.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:10 pm

Weltercat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
77matcat wrote:
Thanks Colter!!!

Soooooo BBG.

I've been saying this for years. That 76 team's Div II NC was probably the most competitive that any Montana team has ever been. The competition they faced was every bit as good as the current FCS.
@ UND W 18-14
NDSU W 34-7
@ Fresno L 24-10
Boise W 24-20
@ Weber W 44-0 (Weber was sooo bad back then)
ISU W 28-7
Idaho W 29-14
@ UM W 21-12
NAU W 33-0
@ Hawaii W 28-7

Playoffs

UNH W 17-16
@ NDSU W 10-3
Akron W 24-13

That was a heck of a run with the lone loss coming to D1 Fresno! I wish our schedule looked like that today, with Idaho, UND, and NDSU in the Big Sky! I wouldn't even mind playing Boise again even though we would probably get whooped in most years.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:17 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Weltercat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
77matcat wrote:
Thanks Colter!!!

Soooooo BBG.

@ UND W 18-14
NDSU W 34-7
@ Fresno L 24-10
Boise W 24-20
@ Weber W 44-0 (Weber was sooo bad back then)
ISU W 28-7
Idaho W 29-14
@ UM W 21-12
NAU W 33-0
@ Hawaii W 28-7

Playoffs

UNH W 17-16
@ NDSU W 10-3
Akron W 24-13

That was a heck of a run with the lone loss coming to D1 Fresno! I wish our schedule looked like that today, with Idaho, UND, and NDSU in the Big Sky! I wouldn't even mind playing Boise again even though we would probably get whooped in most years.
Wish some of the older folks would help out a little...what game did Dennehey start the second half? I'm thinking Fresno.

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:31 pm

Truth is we've plateau at an 8 win season. We don't win big games. Nothing I'm seeing says it will change any time soon. Two of the most dynamic and energetic coaches we have are Kramer hold overs and why should they stay around?...This post makes me sad. However, I still hope for the best. Perhaps, we can make sound defensive changes that will allow us to compete.

One question... If leadership at the top is not in congruence, what should we expect from our players?

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:57 pm

Common Cat wrote:Truth is we've plateau at an 8 win season. We don't win big games. Nothing I'm seeing says it will change any time soon. Two of the most dynamic and energetic coaches we have are Kramer hold overs and why should they stay around?...This post makes me sad. However, I still hope for the best. Perhaps, we can make sound defensive changes that will allow us to compete.

One question... If leadership at the top is not in congruence, what should we expect from our players?
Ummm, care to try again?

2010: 9-3 (9 regular season wins)
2011: 10-3 (9 regular season wins)
2012: 11-2 (10 regular season wins)

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:00 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Certain coaches have been rumored to be leaving because of various reasons for years, yet they are still here. The AFCA convention is in Jan. Great place to look for a job if they are unhappy with their current position.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."