Tony Stewart incident

The place for news, information and discussion about anything related to pro sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

John K
Golden Bobcat

Tony Stewart incident

Post by John K » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:44 pm

I'm curious to hear people's opinions about the Tony Stewart incident. I don't know much about racing, but it seems like it was pretty stupid for the guy to be walking around on the track, while the other cars were still going at or near full speed, and I just have a hard time believing that Stewart would have intentionally hit him. Obviously it's a very sad situation, but from what I know about it, it seems to me that Ward bears the bulk of the responsibility for his own death, rather than Stewart.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Tony Stewart incident

Post by allcat » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:10 pm

John K wrote:I'm curious to hear people's opinions about the Tony Stewart incident. I don't know much about racing, but it seems like it was pretty stupid for the guy to be walking around on the track, while the other cars were still going at or near full speed, and I just have a hard time believing that Stewart would have intentionally hit him. Obviously it's a very sad situation, but from what I know about it, it seems to me that Ward bears the bulk of the responsibility for his own death, rather than Stewart.
Frogger is not a game to play with live bodies.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:24 pm

allcat wrote:
John K wrote:I'm curious to hear people's opinions about the Tony Stewart incident. I don't know much about racing, but it seems like it was pretty stupid for the guy to be walking around on the track, while the other cars were still going at or near full speed, and I just have a hard time believing that Stewart would have intentionally hit him. Obviously it's a very sad situation, but from what I know about it, it seems to me that Ward bears the bulk of the responsibility for his own death, rather than Stewart.
Frogger is not a game to play with live bodies.
Only George Costanza is qualified to do that.

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:34 am

I don't know that the allegation is that Stewart intentionally hit him, I think what someone was thinking was that Stewart didn't like the kid chewing him out on the track and tried coming by to buzz him, goosed it going by him and the car got loose for a second and hit him. I hope no one believes it was actually intentional. I think worse case it was stupid and negligent of Stewart trying to make a point.. But still, you shouldn't be wandering around a semi-lit track in the dark with racecars buzzing by....

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:22 am

KittieKop wrote:I don't know that the allegation is that Stewart intentionally hit him, I think what someone was thinking was that Stewart didn't like the kid chewing him out on the track and tried coming by to buzz him, goosed it going by him and the car got loose for a second and hit him. I hope no one believes it was actually intentional. I think worse case it was stupid and negligent of Stewart trying to make a point.. But still, you shouldn't be wandering around a semi-lit track in the dark with racecars buzzing by....
I heard an interview with a fellow racer/eyewitness that was there that was talking about the cars themselves. He stated that those kind of race cars are steered as much with the gas as they are with the steering wheel. He said in his view, there was no way was Stewart trying to hit the guy, but rather the opposite. He hit the accelerator in an attempt to miss the guy.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:45 pm

tdub wrote:
KittieKop wrote:I don't know that the allegation is that Stewart intentionally hit him, I think what someone was thinking was that Stewart didn't like the kid chewing him out on the track and tried coming by to buzz him, goosed it going by him and the car got loose for a second and hit him. I hope no one believes it was actually intentional. I think worse case it was stupid and negligent of Stewart trying to make a point.. But still, you shouldn't be wandering around a semi-lit track in the dark with racecars buzzing by....
I heard an interview with a fellow racer/eyewitness that was there that was talking about the cars themselves. He stated that those kind of race cars are steered as much with the gas as they are with the steering wheel. He said in his view, there was no way was Stewart trying to hit the guy, but rather the opposite. He hit the accelerator in an attempt to miss the guy.
That was what I got out of one of the initial reports I read/heard.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:47 pm

Yep would totally agree, there was no intent. If you see the video the car in front basically swerved to miss him too. Think that the kid was likely trying to get closer to Stewart combined with low visibility on a dark track...

For reference, I saw this picture tweeted out the next day. This is the view from a sprint car seat:
And that's in broad daylight.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:44 pm

I see that the Grand Jury didn't find enough to bring charges up on Stewart. It says that Ward have enough marijuana to impair his judgement

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/st ... in-ward-jr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:36 pm

WeedKillinCat wrote:I see that the Grand Jury didn't find enough to bring charges up on Stewart. It says that Ward have enough marijuana to impair his judgement

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/st ... in-ward-jr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That whole DUI while driving a race car thing really puts an even harsher damper on the memory of the guy who died. Most can agree that what he did in terms of "confronting" a car on the track with his body was stupid, but even thinking about driving a race car while baked is hall of fame stupid material.